ADVERTISEMENT

Would you buy a car from Costco?

Sure. It's just a car. I never got the car snob thing. They get you from point A to point B. I'll spend a little extra to get something safe and comfy....but I'm not too concerned about brand or where I buy it.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Same car, same mfg warranty...who cares if it came from Costco?

Actually, buying a car is ridiculously complicated through a dealer and you always feel as if you were raped in the process. I'd bet the majority would welcome buying a car in the same way they buy a TV. Here's the car. Here's how much it costs. Thanks.

Reactions: crossfire74
I am a big fan of Costco, but I looked into it, and like some other stuff, I think it's essentially just a warm referral service. We knew what car we wanted and went through Costco's website and all it did was provide a prenegotiated price with a local mega dealer. It was a decent price, but we still had to put up with all the dealer crap. We got a better deal through a different smaller dealer and were treated much better. That was in December, don't know if it's changed or not.

I am a big fan of Costco, but I looked into it, and like some other stuff, I think it's essentially just a warm referral service. We knew what car we wanted and went through Costco's website and all it did was provide a prenegotiated price with a local mega dealer. It was a decent price, but we still had to put up with all the dealer crap. We got a better deal through a different smaller dealer and were treated much better. That was in December, don't know if it's changed or not.
Thanks for your input.

Margins on cars are terrible for dealers, they only really make money selling financing and warranties. Hard to see this as much of a game changer.

If they offered best price, sure. I bought my last 2 cars online (one off eBay and one off cars.com from a dealer in Pennsylvania). You figure out the type of car you want, and then rather than just negotiating with a couple of dealers in your area you open the supply pool a ton by having a nationwide search. Even with the cost of having a mechanic inspect and drive the car and shipping, I saved several thousands on each car from the best negotiations I was getting with local dealers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT