ADVERTISEMENT

Woodson: I've learned you win with good guard play and I'm trying to build IU to play like my Knicks teams

Anyone can easily watch film of these guys playing high level D1 ball — they’re very good and hardly a mystery to figure out.
Bingo.

The accolades and film on Rice speak for themselves. Same with Carlyle who had some elite performances against very good teams last year. Back court has been upgraded immensely and I don’t need Gary Parrish or whoever at CBS to tell me otherwise.

Anyone can easily watch film of these guys playing high level D1 ball — they’re very good and hardly a mystery to figure out.
Actually finally did just that yesterday. Really like Rice... very fast with the ball. Thought Carlyle looked like he puts up a lot of off balance shots but obviously can score and made some impressive passes. Ballo is a beast. I don't ever remember us having a physical intimidating presence like him (I don't remember Big George in an IU uni, but I think it would go back that far). Be only fair if we get to hear the PUkes crying about how he gets away with so much physical contact and drawing fouls on their freshman center, after watching Edey-ball the last couple of years.

If this year's roster is indicative of what we will see with future rosters, then I'm willing to forgive Woody's past roster-building transgressions.

-Went 18-6 after D’Antoni resigned mid-year and thrusted the Knicks into the playoffs

-Went 54-27 in his first full season. No Knick team to this day has won as many games in a single season. That Knicks “system” lead the NBA in 3 pointers made and 3 pointers attempted.

-Glen Grunwald was demoted as GM in favor of Steve Mills (lol) at the conclusion of that season. Went a disappointing 37-45 but still finished 5th and 7th in attempted and made three pointers

-Steve Mills was so bad at his job that they had to bring Phil Jackson in and within a week cleaned house in favor of Derek Fisher who was familiar with his triangle offense. Derek Fisher won 17 games the year after they fired Woodson and Knicks never sniffed the playoffs for the remainder of the Mills/Jackson years.

If emulating his Knicks teams system means more three pointers attempted and subsequently more three's made....sign me the hell up. People who use Woody's tenure with the Knicks as some kind of burn against him have no clue what they hell they are talking about.
Been saying this for 2 months. They can't get their emotions out of their analytics. It makes for dumb comments. It is entertaining though.

Reactions: Imsowyctcwuzbetta
Everyone’s focused on his guard comment, which was a weird self-own.

I’m more worried he thinks his Knicks teams’ systems are something to emulate.
Agreed. Did those teams shoot the 3? He was Knicks HC in 2012-14 and the game has changed a lot since then.

If emulating his Knicks teams system means more three pointers attempted and subsequently more three's made....sign me the hell up. People who use Woody's tenure with the Knicks as some kind of burn against him have no clue what they hell they are talking about.
Agreed. Did those teams shoot the 3? He was Knicks HC in 2012-14 and the game has changed a lot since then.

Personally, I care more about how those systems run--off ball movement (both it happening and what it is designed to lead to), screening, and concepts (both on offense and defense) than the number of threes they shot. Getting open shots is the goal, yes? I've seen tape of the Knicks during Woody's tenure, and it looks a lot like what we've seen so far from his teams here. Others have broken it down better than I can do here.

But regarding the actual rates, his 12-13 team shot 3s 24% of the time; his 23-24 IU team shot them 28% of the time. By comparison, UConn this year, 40% of UConn's shot attempts were 3s and Purdue, with Edey, were at 34%.

Personally, I care more about how those systems run--off ball movement (both it happening and what it is designed to lead to), screening, and concepts (both on offense and defense) than the number of threes they shot. Getting open shots is the goal, yes? I've seen tape of the Knicks during Woody's tenure, and it looks a lot like what we've seen so far from his teams here. Others have broken it down better than I can do here.

But regarding the actual rates, his 12-13 team shot 3s 24% of the time; his 23-24 IU team shot them 28% of the time. By comparison, UConn this year, 40% of UConn's shot attempts were 3s and Purdue, with Edey, were at 34%.
To give a little more context, that 24% of the time in 12-13,was 2nd in the league I believe(top 5 at least). And seeing that IU was ahead of that #,with very limited shooting ability,there's 0 reason to not believe that # will go up with better guard play(creating) and shooting ability,which is vastly improved as a whole.

Reactions: T.M.P.
He coached 24 games in 2012 after D’Antoni resigned and was fired after 2013-2014 season so 2 1/3 seasons. Why in the world would he want to copy his Knicks teams?

Reactions: 76-1
Before they even have an official practice? Wow. Mikey likes guys like you.

Yes, we have depth and talent at every position. Many on here don't need to have an official practice to acknowledge that. Whether or not the pieces fit together, we'll see. But, with our depth and multitude of potential lineups, overwhelmingly strong odds suggest that there are combinations that will work well together.

That's fair. I guess roster building and actual coaching are two different animals.
They're very much connected at the college level...which is the level you have the most control over who you'll end up coaching every season. Picking guys that fit your desired style, and that are guys you think will fit in well with your team, and respond well to your coaching, is an early function of coaching every season...in my opinion.

It seems, to me, that this part of coaching Woodson might have learned some lessons from his first few seasons, and he did a much better job of this past offseason.

NOW...conditioning, practice plans, style, motivation, game coaching...that's what remains to be seen. But I think Woodson has already improved his "coaching" by assembling the roster he did. All other things equal, we'll be better than we were last year...which means we should be an NCAA team, without really any improvements by Woody in areas outside roster construction.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
To give a little more context, that 24% of the time in 12-13,was 2nd in the league I believe(top 5 at least). And seeing that IU was ahead of that #,with very limited shooting ability,there's 0 reason to not believe that # will go up with better guard play(creating) and shooting ability,which is vastly improved as a whole.
I actually got the stats wrong before. Knicks 3's in 12-13 accounted for 35% of their shots; in 13-14 it was 30%. I calculated it before but must have been looking at the wrong column. Sorry about that.

I think the rate, not the rank in the league, is the most important, by the way. If you're #1 in the league, but the entire league isn't shooting threes (or whatever the stat is), it would be irrelevant towards your analysis of whether the system is designed to do what you want it to do.

It's been discussed before, but IF (and yes, this is the big "if" that might not be true) Woodson really wants his Hoosier teams to play the same system/look like his Knicks teams, then it appears we've already achieved that per this video (SIAP):

I actually got the stats wrong before. Knicks 3's in 12-13 accounted for 35% of their shots; in 13-14 it was 30%. I calculated it before but must have been looking at the wrong column. Sorry about that.

I think the rate, not the rank in the league, is the most important, by the way. If you're #1 in the league, but the entire league isn't shooting threes (or whatever the stat is), it would be irrelevant towards your analysis of whether the system is designed to do what you want it to do.

It's been discussed before, but IF (and yes, this is the big "if" that might not be true) Woodson really wants his Hoosier teams to play the same system/look like his Knicks teams, then it appears we've already achieved that per this video (SIAP):

This is pretty much exactly how he coached his first two teams. I do think he added some new elements last year, that helped to improve the off the ball movement...some... But some of my biggest fears with Coach Woodson are that these philosophies are baked in to his coaching beliefs, and as a result, IU will never have a flowing, movement based, dynamic offense while he's the coach.

I guess we'll see this next season. He's set the roster up in a way that he really could change some of these philosophies. But we also could still see a lot of isolated plays and movement for guys like Reneau and Mack...with his belief that Rice, Carlyle, Ballo, Tucker, Goode...will be better suited to make individual plays on their own when needed. That's obviously what his belief and hope was for X his entire time at IU.

Reactions: Tammany Hall

There are so many parallels between his time with the Knicks and now. There is some possibility that if you keep the same approach over a long enough time period then one time you will have success. IU just needs to keep writing his checks and we will see if it happens before he retires.

My take/guess...

Woodson is a guy that focuses on his teams strengths...he game plans for them, and he talks about his team accordingly with the media. And this next team of his has the best backcourt and wing roster he's had while at IU. So...all of a sudden, guard play is a topic he's willing to talk more about, and put importance on publicly.

Its been important all along, he's had some talented guards, and he's tried to get a bunch more. But at this point before his first 3 seasons, he chose to focus more talk and emphasis on his front courts, because they were the obvious strength of his teams.

I'm glad he's "figured it out"...no matter how its happened, or why he's talking about it, its better for IU bball.

Now...does he know how to utilize them?
Yes, it appears to be really useless and boring to keep bringing up our previous backcourt deficiencies. Just plain old beat to death at this point. We should be praising the remarkable job he did this off-season creating what appears to a very deep and talented roster that should compete at a very high level. You can't win big without talent. Can't wait to see him take it to another level.

Reactions: LifelongIU77
Yes, it appears to be really useless and boring to keep bringing up our previous backcourt deficiencies. Just plain old beat to death at this point. We should be praising the remarkable job he did this off-season creating what appears to a very deep and talented roster that should compete at a very high level. You can't win big without talent. Can't wait to see him take it to another level.
Maybe, but unfortunately when you have a lot of resources and finish with a NET ranking of #98, that’s going to create a lot of concern regardless of the new roster.

Play well with this talented new group (good recruiting work from staff and donors) and it will go away.

Last edited:
Maybe, but unfortunately when you have a lot of resources and finish with a NET ranking of #98, that’s going to create a lot of concern regardless of the new roster.

Play well with this talented new group (good recruiting work from staff and donors) and it will go away.
KenPom isn't perfect, by any means...but its a fairly good predictor nearer the end of the season on what teams have legit chances to make FFs and compete for Nattys. Basically you either need to be truly elite on either offense or defense...top 5 levels elite...or you need to be top 20-30 in both his offense and defense efficiency ratings.

Woody's best team, TJD's senior year, finished the year 28 and 45 respectively offense and defense. They lost in the second round... so he was pushing the line to where it seems many think this next year's team should be, with a couple really good players, and a bunch of other really flawed players. He's proven he can get them close to where IU fans want to be. And this next roster is unquestionably his best, most versatile, and deepest roster.

Hoping that last years performances, across pretty much any rating or measurements, end up being the bad exception to a relatively solid coaching career for Woody at IU.

Obviously wary that we'll ever be "elite" with how Woody coaches...but I do think he can get a team in the next year or two on the doorstep of being FF good...without a huge change or improvement in his own coaching philosophies and/or abilities.

KenPom isn't perfect, by any means.
NET isn't created by Kenpom (I think he the OP, has them confused).... it's monkey math with far better metrics already existing and can be manipulated by running up scores.

Last edited:
NET isn't created by Kenpom (I think he the OP, has them confused).... it's monkey math with far better metrics already existing and can be manipulated by running up scores.
No, I know...I didn't word it well...I was just offering KenPom as a different metric that has actually shown in the past that Woody can get close to being where IU fans want the program to be.

I honestly don't think Woody has it in him, to put out a truly elite level team. But he won't need to get a lot better, versus what he's already shown he's capable of, to get IU competing at the top of the B10, and making sweet 16s. This years team will test that theory, obviously.

No, I know...I didn't word it well...I was just offering KenPom as a different metric that has actually shown in the past that Woody can get close to being where IU fans want the program to be.

I honestly don't think Woody has it in him, to put out a truly elite level team. But he won't need to get a lot better, versus what he's already shown he's capable of, to get IU competing at the top of the B10, and making sweet 16s. This years team will test that theory, obviously.
fwiw - He simply needed to quit letting the scrubs play minutes in buy-in games, at least until he had a 20 pt lead .. that's how you manipulate those metrics other than just winning. He's from the pros where metrics have nothing to do with post season inclusion and where it's just wins. Less likely to be an issue this year with a deeper bench.

Be like the Big 12, Gonzaga etc play short line ups long minutes and blow out the scrub teams.

Last edited:
If this year's roster is indicative of what we will see with future rosters, then I'm willing to forgive Woody's past roster-building transgressions.
If Woody fails to win at an acceptable level with this best roster he’s had, I think the gig is up. The NIL funds will dry up and he’s shown no interest nor ability to recruit the traditional HS kids so program growth unlikely.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT