ADVERTISEMENT

Woodson bringing back the Glory....LOL

This just in Penn State just made another three.
mike-woodson-no.gif

When IU picked Woodson bundled with Matta and Fife this year, was it an elaborate bait & switch to get acceptance for Woody knowing Woody would go solo? Or was it just hapinstance where Matta wanted to coach and Fife didn’t fit for whatever reason? In any case the fans/customers got short-changed.

When IU picked Woodson bundled with Matta and Fife this year, was it an elaborate bait & switch to get acceptance for Woody knowing Woody would go solo? Or was it just hapinstance where Matta wanted to coach and Fife didn’t fit for whatever reason? In any case the fans/customers got short-changed.
Something like that. I think it was a stupid, risky structure Dolson tried (no other programs do this) to feel better about the big risk with NBA Woodson who all-powerful Quinn Buckner was pushing. Matta realized no one was really bought into this structure and left.

Dolson should be fired for trying this. Such a dumb risk.

Can we stop letting Quinn be involved with decision making for this program. Seems like his name is involved every time we hire a coach. Apparently the guy doesn’t know anything.
Buckner was fired after his single season as Mavericks coach. He had a 13-69 record. It sounded like the players despised him.
I hear him on the Pacers broadcasts, and he has some odd and questionable basketball observations.

Terrible leadership and planning
It's impossible for me to believe that he won't "resign" at season's end, Woodson, not Dolson. This team is lost, it will get worse. It's also very possible that if that doesn't happen, then Dolson may soon be "resigning" too.

Reactions: CriticArisen
Something like that. I think it was a stupid, risky structure Dolson tried (no other programs do this) to feel better about the big risk with NBA Woodson who all-powerful Quinn Buckner was pushing. Matta realized no one was really bought into this structure and left.

Dolson should be fired for trying this. Such a dumb risk.
Make Dolson sit in the upper balcony going forward. Fire him and Woodson in March.

Buckner was fired after his single season as Mavericks coach. He had a 13-69 record. It sounded like the players despised him.
I hear him on the Pacers broadcasts, and he has some odd and questionable basketball observations.
#99 in KenPom. I think we may reach triple digits this year.
Back again at 102 NET. It is surprising how stable IU has been through the season at around 100. Thus far they have nailed forecasting IU performance. Or maybe the ranking services are in on the plot with refs and medical staff to spoil what many considered would be a great season.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
I don’t think Archie was ever in the 90s NET and KenPom.

Doesn’t matter. This team is so bad it’s hard to quantify,

Miller's worst team via kenpom was his 1st year and finished at 71.

We're currently 100.

You'd have to go back to Crean's 2nd season to find a worse IU team. Hell we were #82 in Crean's 3rd yr while going 12-20.

Last edited:
Miller's worst team via kenpom was his 1st year and finished at 71.

We're currently 100.

You'd have to go back to Crean's 2nd season to find a worse IU team. Hell we were #82 in Crean's 3rd yr while going 12-20.
I’m not sure which I hate more. How bad we are right now, or that it makes me kinda miss Crean.

Don’t trade hogshit for bird poop. One just smells worse.

IU deserves better than this.
The culture is not what I expected. Roster construction with this team is terrible. Assistant coaches wanting to be best friends with the players does not work….at least not here. Until the culture is fixed all we are doing is swimming upstream.

I’ve been skeptical of Woodys ability to lead a college bball program since I first heard he was a candidate. There have been times I felt I was wrong for that skepticism. But there have been many, many more times I thought I was right.

Right now I’m torn. 3 seasons isn’t very many to give up on someone and fire him. Especially when his first two he took the team to its first NCAA tourneys in a few years. He did “turn the program around” in a number of ways.

But here’s were the dilemma comes, for me. Keeping him, at this point, would require some sort of plan on Woodys part to complete change, a lot things, in how he runs his program. Style of play…types of players he goes after…assistant coaches…what he plans to work on in the offseasons… lots of things.

When you get to a point where you need for a person to completely change who they are and how they approach things… isn’t the right move to just go find someone else that has proven that they’ll do things the right way without having to completely change who they are???

I’ve been skeptical of Woodys ability to lead a college bball program since I first heard he was a candidate. There have been times I felt I was wrong for that skepticism. But there have been many, many more times I thought I was right.

Right now I’m torn. 3 seasons isn’t very many to give up on someone and fire him. Especially when his first two he took the team to its first NCAA tourneys in a few years. He did “turn the program around” in a number of ways.

But here’s were the dilemma comes, for me. Keeping him, at this point, would require some sort of plan on Woodys part to complete change, a lot things, in how he runs his program. Style of play…types of players he goes after…assistant coaches…what he plans to work on in the offseasons… lots of things.

When you get to a point where you need for a person to completely change who they are and how they approach things… isn’t the right move to just go find someone else that has proven that they’ll do things the right way without having to completely change who they are???
Yep. And if there is one Woodson trait that has stood out among the rest, it is stubbornness to make changes.

Yep. And if there is one Woodson trait that has stood out among the rest, it is stubbornness to make changes.
So far, yes. I will say he did radically change how he subs a few games ago. And I don’t believe in coincidences this big…his changes went along with what the analytics would have told him to do. Thats a good sign, amongst an ocean of bad signs.

For him to be successful, he needs to embrace the things that win today. Maybe the subbing changes are a sign of that?

The only way he turns it around is an openness to radically change. And an all out effort to reshape his staff and roster. He needs someone on his staff that has been a successful college head coach. And he needs to completely flip the relative strength of his roster to guard/perimeter oriented players.

He could do it. It would take a lot of humbleness, change, convincing, and hard work. But it definitely could be done.

I think when someone needs to change as much as Woody does, it’s almost always better to just move on from that person. But if that doesn’t happen, and Woody is allowed to stay, there is a path where he could be successful at IU. Hard to think he’ll take it though.

Even when that 3rd season is a TOTAL clusterf***?
Now 100 in Net!
No Q1 wins.
15 losses of 15+ in his tenure. Almost equaling the previous two coaches last three years COMBINED!
And all this with three five star players.

What if IU doesn't win another game?

Now 100 in Net!
No Q1 wins.
15 losses of 15+ in his tenure. Almost equaling the previous two coaches last three years COMBINED!

Yea. We aren’t just mediocre or not good. We are really, really bad. Outside of Crean’s rebuild teams this is the worst IU team in like 50 years, especially with three 5*s! How is Woody, who got us to being ranked 100, going to get us in the top-25? We lose Ware and have one commit next year — help is not on the way. Amazing.

As I understand it, Matta wanted to get back into coaching, but was still having issues regarding his surgery, mobility and medications. Fife went political in the locker room and that caused issues with Woodson and players that led to his dismissal. I don’t think it was a ruse but coaching circles typically crumble over time.

Reactions: nichlee
Fife wasn't retained because he tweeted a stance on NIL that was contradictory to the entire athletic department's position on the subject, and/or recruiting/ a kid Woodson told him not to recruit.

Matta wasn't physically ready to coach yet when we needed him.

Fife wasn't retained because he tweeted a stance on NIL that was contradictory to the entire athletic department's position on the subject, and/or recruiting/ a kid Woodson told him not to recruit.

Was Fife recruiting a pg or sg who could hit 3’s ?

Fife was probably trying to recruit a two guard who shot 40% from three. That's a big no no.

Now 100 in Net!
No Q1 wins.

Let's hope IU doesent win another game if that makes the change happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT