ADVERTISEMENT

Will Woodson be given his walking papers at season’s end?…..

BayernFan

Hall of Famer
Sep 4, 2001
Tristan da cunha
And will he be replaced by the guy who, at age 59, has 676 (and counting) coaching victories and is on his way to becoming the winningest coach in NCAA history?

• Sad
Reactions: YOTHN
He should, being ranked #100 with most NIL in the B1G, and no path to improvement.

But, the IU admin has screwed up for 30 years. They are the most elite idiots in college sports.

He’ll stay and get a chance to “fix it”. He won’t and we’ll waste one more season before he is fired.

And will he be replaced by the guy who, at age 59, has 676 (and counting) coaching victories and is on his way to becoming the winningest coach in NCAA history?
ROFLMAO.... Alford is barely over half way to catching coach K, and that is for 3rd all time wins at 1206. Stevie boy aint going to coach until he's 90 and even then, Tara and Geno are still coaching and they have already passed coach K, with Staley the likely one that MIGHT catch the top spot. Also, Alford supports rape, no ethical school is EVER going to hire him unless they just want to admit they have no moral compass and are just scumbags for wins. Go after Huggins and be done with it if you are throwing out ethics and decency to get a coach.

Reactions: nichlee
ROFLMAO.... Alford is barely over half way to catching coach K, and that is for 3rd all time wins at 1206. Stevie boy aint going to coach until he's 90 and even then, Tara and Geno are still coaching and they have already passed coach K, with Staley the likely one that MIGHT catch the top spot. Also, Alford supports rape, no ethical school is EVER going to hire him unless they just want to admit they have no moral compass and are just scumbags for wins. Go after Huggins and be done with it if you are throwing out ethics and decency to get a coach.
Nobody gives a rip about women’s records. Totally fake news. And the rest of your rant is just as nuts. Stop it.

1) No, he will get 1 more season. 2) No, for a variety of reasons. BTW, he would need to average 25 wins per season for 21 years to catch Coach K. That would make him 80. Do you think he can average that well into his 70s?

Reactions: Shuski and kkott
I'm waiting for IU posters to start clamoring for Pat Knight because he shares the same DNA as RMK.

This fanbase has so many who need to learn to move on.

Woodson will be given another season. Change will happen when we miss the B1G tourney.

I Wanted Alford mutiple times but the boat has passed and Buckner hates him. If we did fire Woodson which should happen Chris Beard, Bruce Pearl, Dusty May, Scott Drew, should be on the short list. Nate Oats, Thad Matta, Josh Schertz.

People would riot if they hired Alford. They had their shot in 2001 but the race hustlers won out as they have in multiple post-Knight coaching searches. Woody will likely be given another year unless he retires. Dusty May will be the successor.

They'll be back whenever the next L comes. They're like roaches that scurry away in the light, but will come out in droves in the dark.
PU fans should be feeling great with how this season has gone. You've got a 2 game lead in the B10 and have played what I assume is still the toughest schedule. But, yes, I can understand that he's not going to satisfy all his critics until he gets to or at least sniffs a F4 again. Another first weekend loss and they'll be out in force.

Reactions: BleedinGold
That freaking open scholarship still frosts me. How in the hell did they think that was a good idea? Surely they had a reasonable expectation that Newton wasn’t fit to play. They knew X was injury prone. They saw that Cupps was a little dude with a very suspect jump shot. Pretty sure they’d already given up completely on Leal. Yet they couldn’t find one single guard anywhere in the world? Even if he was a guy they knew they’d have to groom, it would have made a little sense. What they did was coaching/recruiting malpractice.

He should, being ranked #100 with most NIL in the B1G, and no path to improvement.

But, the IU admin has screwed up for 30 years. They are the most elite idiots in college sports.

He’ll stay and get a chance to “fix it”. He won’t and we’ll waste one more season before he is fired.
The administration has been a mess, but it is better under Dolson and Whitten than it has been in years. I have no idea what will happen to Woodson, but my guess is that he will be back next year. Even though this was Dolson's choice I don't think he is prepared to replace coaches in both major sports within 12 months right or wrong depending on your opinion.

I believe he will want to see how his decision with the change in football goes and then if we don't drastically improve in men's basketball next year, he will evaluate a change or a planned transition. There might even be a discussion after the season that a transition plan needs to be put in place. I don't think us average fans will ever know what happens behind the scenes.

Nope, no forum for IUWBB. I guess that's why you see the occasional thread here. To each their own I guess.
A thread about IU’s women’s team is fine. I read them and like watching them. But bringing up all the top women coaches and their records into a men’s team post is dumb. Some of those jokers like Geno think they invented basketball. I’d guess over half of his wins were against teams that thought they were playing in a rec league. Hell, there are still a lot of women’s teams that are simply atrocious.

Reactions: Vern Pain
The administration has been a mess, but it is better under Dolson and Whitten than it has been in years. I have no idea what will happen to Woodson, but my guess is that he will be back next year. Even though this was Dolson's choice I don't think he is prepared to replace coaches in both major sports within 12 months right or wrong depending on your opinion.

I believe he will want to see how his decision with the change in football goes and then if we don't drastically improve in men's basketball next year, he will evaluate a change or a planned transition. There might even be a discussion after the season that a transition plan needs to be put in place. I don't think us average fans will ever know what happens behind the scenes.
I love the Cig hire. It’s all tbd, but I like his attitude, continuity of staff, transfers from JMU, and strategy. He is going to try and replicate something that works at IU. I can be really optimistic!

I’m not sold on the AD though. Scott hired Woody, which was and is a disaster. He’s the opposite of Cig — no college coaching experience, no staff continuity, no connections. Stupid hire. I don’t know how much Quinn is meddling but he might be.

Scott’s raise for Woody was a joke, and that just happened. In Woody’s original deal he would get around $1M in one-time bonuses for winning a national title. He won one tourney game (that’s a $25K bonus in his original deal), and Dolson gave him a permanent $1M raise! Insane. We were **unranked** preseason when he did it.

I can only hope, but I’m not quite seeing enough to feel good about the AD.

That’s me. My opinion doesn’t matter.

A thread about IU’s women’s team is fine. I read them and like watching them. But bringing up all the top women coaches and their records into a men’s team post is dumb. Some of those jokers like Geno think they invented basketball. I’d guess over half of his wins were against teams that thought they were playing in a rec league. Hell, there are still a lot of women’s teams that are simply atrocious.
The post stated Stevie boy would become the all time winningest NCAA coach before he retired. Tara just passed coach K for all time "winningest NCAA coach", she already held the women's title, but Geno is only 5 or so behind her atm. Whoever retires first will end up second. Steve Alford will never approach their achievements, and certainly not their titles. Its proof of someone's lack of general basketball intelligence to even posit the thought because he would have to coach well into his 80's at the rate he wins games just to catch coach K. As for you disparaging comments, just because IU treated women's basketball like a rec league sport until they hired Purdue alumus to show them how to run a women's program doesn't mean the rest of college basketball is run by knuckle dragging neanderthals who neglect women's sports

Reactions: nichlee
I love the Cig hire. It’s all tbd, but I like his attitude, continuity of staff, transfers from JMU, and strategy. He is going to try and replicate something that works at IU. I can be really optimistic!

I’m not sold on the AD though. Scott hired Woody, which was and is a disaster. He’s the opposite of Cig — no college coaching experience, no staff continuity, no connections. Stupid hire. I don’t know how much Quinn is meddling but he might be.

Scott’s raise for Woody was a joke, and that just happened. In Woody’s original deal he would get around $1M in one-time bonuses for winning a national title. He won one tourney game (that’s a $25K bonus in his original deal), and Dolson gave him a permanent $1M raise! Insane. We were **unranked** preseason when he did it.

I can only hope, but I’m not quite seeing enough to feel good about the AD.

That’s me. My opinion doesn’t matter.
Everything you're saying is true, and it makes it sound mind numbingly stupid on Dolson's part. Most/all of Dolson's other moves have been solid, if not really aggressive and good. So I'm choosing to remain willfully ignorant on why he would have given Woody that money. And to assume it was something prearranged, and is in the best interest of IU Athletics and IU bball in the long run.

If nothing else...it does show the next potential coach that at least with respect to Head Coach compensation, IU is serious about being near the tops of the B10. If Woody were still making near the bottom of the conference with his annual salary, and had to win a Natty to get close to the top...there could be some negative perceptions on that in coaching circles.

But again...that's just me trying to come up with a potential justification for something that, on the surface, seems unjustifiable.

Reactions: BleedinGold
Everything you're saying is true, and it makes it sound mind numbingly stupid on Dolson's part. Most/all of Dolson's other moves have been solid, if not really aggressive and good. So I'm choosing to remain willfully ignorant on why he would have given Woody that money. And to assume it was something prearranged, and is in the best interest of IU Athletics and IU bball in the long run.

If nothing else...it does show the next potential coach that at least with respect to Head Coach compensation, IU is serious about being near the tops of the B10. If Woody were still making near the bottom of the conference with his annual salary, and had to win a Natty to get close to the top...there could be some negative perceptions on that in coaching circles.

But again...that's just me trying to come up with a potential justification for something that, on the surface, seems unjustifiable.
Yea. I think if there was a search we would tell the search firm that puts out the feelers that comp would be “top ten” or whatever. I would rather do that than prove it in reality by giving Woody $ for no reason. Coaches would know Woody was a college newbie and depending who they are they could get more from a big program like IU. I think we offered Brad a very big number.

It’s water under the bridge. I can only hope we make a smart hire next time around.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
No to both questions in OP.

Dolson won't be able to face his large error(s) this quickly. Neither will Quinn, who may never admit it.

I hope Coach Woodson either turns this around HUGE, or has a poor season next year. Doing 'just enough' might be by far the worst outcome. I hope for the HUGE turnaround, don't want to wish us ill.

Dolson won't be able to face his large error(s) this quickly. Neither will Quinn, who may never admit it.

I hope Coach Woodson either turns this around HUGE, or has a poor season next year. Doing 'just enough' might be by far the worst outcome. I hope for the HUGE turnaround, don't want to wish us ill.
I hope I don’t have to referee any arguments between my twin daughters. Probably about the same chance for either of us.

Woody will get one more year. The seat is warming but it's not hot enough to make a move. Besides, one grace year is not unreasonable considering the circumstances.
For the record, I say why delay the inevitable? It's clear this experiment will not work and who cares about feelings in big boy business anyway? You make the change as soon as you have
a replacement lined up.

As for Alford, I actually think he would have succeeded here in a big way. Had circumstances been different, he could've built a similar program to Painter over time. Probably a down year here and there, but rarely less than 20 wins and routinely in the hunt in the Big Ten. Probably a tourney team 8/10 years. Maybe a deep run once or twice a decade? I think we could all live with those results.

Honestly, the absolute worst thing that could happen to the state of the fanbase.....If Matta starts to kill it at Butler. Wow, how that would burn

Nobody gives a rip about women’s records. Totally fake news. And the rest of your rant is just as nuts. Stop it.
Why? The objective is the same, regardless of sex: Score and defend. Ya don't think Geno could coach at the men's level?

Sure.

100% no he has those in charge on his side.

He will pobably win just enough games next year to get in the ncaa barely. That will insure he gets another couple years

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT