ADVERTISEMENT

Will Woodson be given his walking papers at season’s end?…..

The administration has been a mess, but it is better under Dolson and Whitten than it has been in years. I have no idea what will happen to Woodson, but my guess is that he will be back next year. Even though this was Dolson's choice I don't think he is prepared to replace coaches in both major sports within 12 months right or wrong depending on your opinion.

I believe he will want to see how his decision with the change in football goes and then if we don't drastically improve in men's basketball next year, he will evaluate a change or a planned transition. There might even be a discussion after the season that a transition plan needs to be put in place. I don't think us average fans will ever know what happens behind the scenes.

I love the Cig hire. It’s all tbd, but I like his attitude, continuity of staff, transfers from JMU, and strategy. He is going to try and replicate something that works at IU. I can be really optimistic!

I’m not sold on the AD though. Scott hired Woody, which was and is a disaster. He’s the opposite of Cig — no college coaching experience, no staff continuity, no connections. Stupid hire. I don’t know how much Quinn is meddling but he might be.

Scott’s raise for Woody was a joke, and that just happened. In Woody’s original deal he would get around $1M in one-time bonuses for winning a national title. He won one tourney game (that’s a $25K bonus in his original deal), and Dolson gave him a permanent $1M raise! Insane. We were **unranked** preseason when he did it.

I can only hope, but I’m not quite seeing enough to feel good about the AD.

That’s me. My opinion doesn’t matter.

Solid post IMO.

I would like to know how the whole Woody hire went down. As you have stated it is hard to reconcile how different the hires for the two sports. I love the FB hire and after this season, I HATE the Bball hire. The fact that Dolson hired Dane and Matta, IMO, hints that he wasn't sure of Woody or he was being forced in the hire.

And the raise makes no sense now that I know it wasn't part of the original contract.

Mixed bag for me.

Solid post IMO.

I would like to know how the whole Woody hire went down.

The fact that Dolson hired Dane and Matta, IMO, hints that he wasn't sure of Woody or he was being forced in the hire.

And the raise makes no sense now that I know it wasn't part of the original contract.

Mixed bag for me.
Yeah, I have questions about how it went down. Did we offer Matta first, etc.

Solid post IMO.

I would like to know how the whole Woody hire went down. As you have stated it is hard to reconcile how different the hires for the two sports. I love the FB hire and after this season, I HATE the Bball hire. The fact that Dolson hired Dane and Matta, IMO, hints that he wasn't sure of Woody or he was being forced in the hire.

Mixed bag for me.
How do you know? Because someone said it on here? If that's it, I'd say you don't know.

No to both questions in OP.

Dolson won't be able to face his large error(s) this quickly. Neither will Quinn, who may never admit it.

I hope Coach Woodson either turns this around HUGE, or has a poor season next year. Doing 'just enough' might be by far the worst outcome. I hope for the HUGE turnaround, don't want to wish us ill.
100% in fact I would be stunned if they do not give him at least two more years. We will be paying for their mistake for years to come.

Don’t depress me even further
Just being honest. Hiring one of your own is always a bad move unless they are proven to have a high probability of success. If not you are likely stuck with them until they decide to leave on their own.

Don't know what?

someone posted on here in the last couple days that wasn't in the original contract, and I'm just saying if that's what you're basing it on, you don't really know that was or wasn't in the original contract or agreement. Personally, I think it was already agreed upon otherwise it made no sense to do it at that time.

Reactions: Al Bino
someone posted on here in the last couple days that wasn't in the original contract, and I'm just saying if that's what you're basing it on, you don't really know that was or wasn't in the original contract or agreement. Personally, I think it was already agreed upon otherwise it made no sense to do it at that time.
It wasn’t in this original contact. See below link. Nothing about a $1M salary increase, which of course would be documented since that is a huge increase. Pretty funny to look at the incentives ($25K to make the tourney, $25K to win a first round game) vs the huge $1M raise he got. Insane.

Woody MOU

Reactions: Ty Webb iu
100% in fact I would be stunned if they do not give him at least two more years. We will be paying for their mistake for years to come.
Unless Woody strikes gold in the portal with backcourt help and returns Ware and Renaud both- I see no way next year isn’t his final year. It’ll be completely toxic around the program, boos raining down in Assembly Hall- I think Woody himself will throw in the towel then.

So listening to Jim Coyle today Woodson has lost by 15 or more points more then Archie Miller ever did in four years and Crean did in his last seven years. Even year one with Crean we only lost to Purdue by 14 at Mackey to a Purdue team that was 27-10 that had Hummel, Moore, Johnson, and Kramer we had Tom Pritchard Verdel Jones Devan Dumes mind blown.

So listening to Jim Coyle today Woodson has lost by 15 or more points more then Archie Miller ever did in four years and Crean did in his last seven years. Even year one with Crean we only lost to Purdue by 14 at Mackey to a Purdue team that was 27-10 that had Hummel, Moore, Johnson, and Kramer we had Tom Pritchard Verdel Jones Devan Dumes mind blown.
Fairly irrelevant information or data considering under Woodson we have won 3 of the last 6 games against PU's vaunted number 1 or 2 seeded teams. Just talking facts here and wins are wins and losses are losses the point spread is not relevant to how good or bad a team is any given game or year. I remember a couple of games during the Knight years where we took some of the worst historical beatings and also the historical point spread against ND in Knights early years.

I have no problem saying we are not in good space and the leadership can be in question, but Jim Coyle's info is meaningless.

Reactions: Willray and kkott
I could give you plenty of numbers but your mind is made up you want to belive Mike Woodson is doing a good job go ahead.

PU fans should be feeling great with how this season has gone. You've got a 2 game lead in the B10 and have played what I assume is still the toughest schedule. But, yes, I can understand that he's not going to satisfy all his critics until he gets to or at least sniffs a F4 again. Another first weekend loss and they'll be out in force.
Well, the season has gone well but the real test is yet to come.
The BTT will be important to IU. A chance to plead their case.
Woodson's players have had a lot of injuries. While I don't think X is the answer, he is talented. I hope they give Woodson another year.

• Haha
Solid post IMO.

Mixed bag for me.
Fife basically got canned, right? I thought he might be next in line. Why did Motta leave? I know he's coaching but opportunity?

Woodson's players have had a lot of injuries. While I don't think X is the answer, he is talented. I hope they give Woodson another year.
Plead our case for the NIT I’m afraid.

Purdue should love Woody lol. He’s perfect for PUBB.

Please! This team loses their first game in the BTT. They won’t even make the NIT.

Fairly irrelevant information or data considering under Woodson we have won 3 of the last 6 games against PU's vaunted number 1 or 2 seeded teams. Just talking facts here and wins are wins and losses are losses the point spread is not relevant to how good or bad a team is any given game or year. I remember a couple of games during the Knight years where we took some of the worst historical beatings and also the historical point spread against ND in Knights early years.

I have no problem saying we are not in good space and the leadership can be in question, but Jim Coyle's info is meaningless.
I think the historic number of blowouts we’ve been on the wrong side of IS valid information. There can be a lot of luck in close games but we’re getting our asses handed to us a lot this year, by marginal teams in many cases

No it has not we are 14-10 and 8 of our 10 losses have been total blowouts. This must be satire.

Reactions: IUbball_lifer
I could give you plenty of numbers but your mind is made up you want to belive Mike Woodson is doing a good job go ahead.
Reread my last paragraph where I say I have no problem with saying we are in a rough place and our leadership can be questioned. I have said why I thought he would still be here next year regardless of the outcome of this season because of Dolson not wanting to replace both men's major sports coaches within the 23-24 academic year or even this summer. I said that decision may be right or wrong for IU but based on Whitten and Dolson that is my opinion since Dolson made both the Woodson hire and the Cig hire.

I think the historic number of blowouts we’ve been on the wrong side of IS valid information. There can be a lot of luck in close games but we’re getting our asses handed to us a lot this year, by marginal teams in many cases
This may be a valid point although I believe the overall season is much easier to question than score margins. Roster make-up at guard, X's injury. Injuries or illness to Ware and Renau have impacted several games but that is all part of any season. I am not all that surprised by this team getting beat bad by good teams although the Kansas game is more how I thought we would play at home, but it has not happened.

This may be a valid point although I believe the overall season is much easier to question than score margins. Roster make-up at guard, X's injury. Injuries or illness to Ware and Renau have impacted several games but that is all part of any season. I am not all that surprised by this team getting beat bad by good teams although the Kansas game is more how I thought we would play at home, but it has not happened.
Can you agree that's its Woodson fault for the roster management. But let's dig deeper why does Indiana not shoot three's we can go over the last three years its been awful on how many three's Indiana has hit.

Indiana has hit 122 three's this season even under Mike Davis his 2 bad years we hit 204 and 173. Under Archie we hit 194, 211, 176, 158.

Indiana has hit 122 three's this season even under Mike Davis his 2 bad years we hit 204 and 173. Under Archie we hit 194, 211, 17

My answer is yes Woodson and staff are responsible for roster management and I consider the guard management to be not good and are shooting threes the last three seasons is poor. See I can agree to specific valid points.

Indiana has hit 122 three's this season even under Mike Davis his 2 bad years we hit 204 and 173. Under Archie we hit 194, 211, 176, 158.
This season isn't over so we could end up near those numbers. but more telling is if you look at three point shots attempted per game, we are 354 out of 362 teams. If you look at three point percentage we are 222. If you look at free-throw percentage, we are 328. We don't shoot many threes compared to other teams and we don't hit the ones we take. And our free throw shooting is abysmal.

Indiana State is near the top of all those categories, FWIW.

• Sad
Reactions: BigMobe
This season isn't over so we could end up near those numbers. but more telling is if you look at three point shots attempted per game, we are 354 out of 362 teams. If you look at three point percentage we are 222. If you look at free-throw percentage, we are 328. We don't shoot many threes compared to other teams and we don't hit the ones we take. And our free throw shooting is abysmal.

Indiana State is near the top of all those categories, FWIW.
We can't shoot three's we can't shoot free throws we can't defend or rebound the coaching and fundamentals are worse there is nothing pointing upward. Woodson hasn't changed in three years his philosophy doesn't work. It's time for him to go.

The demeanor Woodson displays in pressers and interviews indicates that he won't evolve or adjust very much. That should surprise no one given his age and stature (pro career, not college). That alone should cause concern about the future. There is one consolation for IU basketball fans...and only one that I can see: "There's comfort in the familiar".

Reactions: CriticArisen
The demeanor Woodson displays in pressers and interviews indicates that he won't evolve or adjust very much. That should surprise no one given his age and stature (pro career, not college). That alone should cause concern about the future. There is one consolation for IU basketball fans...and only one that I can see: "There's comfort in the familiar".
Just curious what you mean (stature, (pro career, not college)). His college basketball career is in the top of Indiana's best. While it is apparent, he will most likely not get Indiana where he believes it belongs but not because he does not understand the Indiana culture when it was successful. He does not appear to be driven to be the coach that he expects Indiana needs to return to consistently competitive on the national stage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT