ADVERTISEMENT

Why should I be excited over an old NBA failure?

He took over some really bad Atlanta teams ans rebuilt them getting them to the playoffs after an 8 year draught. I watch a ton of nba and always thought highly of him. I think he will be a solid recruiter and was known a a players coach in the nba. I think him way better than Archie. I think people will be surprised.

If Mike is successful, I'll eat my hat. But, why in the hell aren't we hiring a younger, proven college coach? You can start collecting SS when you are 62, if you choose. I guess this program just has to get "hiring one of its own" out of its system. How many years does Mike actually have left in him?

Reactions: JohnCoctostan
He’s old! He’ll be gone in 5-7 years at best! I don’t get this AT ALL!

He took over some really bad Atlanta teams ans rebuilt them getting them to the playoffs after an 8 year draught. I watch a ton of nba and always thought highly of him. I think he will be a solid recruiter and was known a a players coach in the nba. I think him way better than Archie. I think people will be surprised.
Yeah, they were terrible when he took over. 13-69 his first year and lost 50+ his next two seasons. That’s why his record looks bad. They made the playoffs the next three years after that and their record improved every single year after that. Record was worse the year after he was let go. He then took the Knicks to back to back playoffs. Had a losing record the next year and was fired. Knicks proceeded to fall off the face of the earth.

Also I think people should look at how much certain guys improved while he was in Atlanta. Most notably Josh Smith and Joe Johnson. Hopefully IU fans will give him a chance.

He’s old! He’ll be gone in 5-7 years at best! I don’t get this AT ALL!
If IU was going to make this move, it should have been 10 or more years ago. I guess that is 2 AD's that failed to get Brad Stevens in here. Stevens isn't going to survive the year in Boston, and you can't sell him?

Reactions: IUgradman
Sounds like Matta is involved. If his health is good in 6 years he could takeover or help find the next one. Some of you on here wouldn’t be happy unless it was Brad Stevens who said a resounding no. Every other name floated had issues. Do you want to take another risk on a mid major coach with limited success? Do you want an old coach? Do you want a coach with a history? Each coach floated had questions. Woodson has significant NBA experience and turned around a crappy hawks team. I watch a ton of nba and remember hearing how his players loved him. Let’s give him a chance. If he loses at Indiana state for his opener we can start worrying about the sky falling. The transfer portal will be full of kids and he can talk about what it takes to get them in the nba. That is exactly what musselman did but you got a IU version. Give it a chance.

46% career winning percentage and a couple years from social security. I’m sure recruits will be lining up. But he might play motion offense, so that’s what matters, right? This is a pathetic, horrible hire.
100 percent correct. You also forgot to add he was fired as an assistant for the clippers

46% career winning percentage and a couple years from social security. I’m sure recruits will be lining up. But he might play motion offense, so that’s what matters, right? This is a pathetic, horrible hire.
You nor no one else can say this is great or bad. It’s why our AD chose and he is now our HC. If you don’t care for it, while entitled to your feelings toward it, your opinion, just like everyone else’s, really bears zero weight. But thanks for weighing in. Time will tell if this was or was not a great hire.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
You nor no one else can say this is great or bad. It’s why our AD chose and he is now our HC. If you don’t care for it, while entitled to your feelings toward it, your opinion, just like everyone else’s, really bears zero weight. But thanks for weighing in. Time will tell if this was or was not a great hire.
I have always had great disdain for these say nothing type of posts.

If Mike is successful, I'll eat my hat. But, why in the hell aren't we hiring a younger, proven college coach? You can start collecting SS when you are 62, if you choose. I guess this program just has to get "hiring one of its own" out of its system. How many years does Mike actually have left in him?
Well Leonard Hamilton will be 73 this year (FSU). Roy Williams will turn 71 the same month. Mike Kryzewski is 74. So, at least 10 years... and if he is still here 10 years from now it will turn out to be a good hire.

What intrigues me about this is Matta. With Matta you have someone who can organize the program, enforce a style of play, and ensure Woodson is developing as a college coach.

What just baffles my mind about this is why didn't we try this with Alford 10 or 15 years ago?

Reactions: 76-1
What intrigues me about this is Matta. With Matta you have someone who can organize the program, enforce a style of play, and ensure Woodson is developing as a college coach.

What just baffles my mind about this is why didn't we try this with Alford 10 or 15 years ago?

The roles should be reversed: Thad should be the head coach and Mike should be an assistant. Maybe this is the ultimate goal. I'm guessing Thad's health is still preventing him from being a head coach, but he wants to get back into college basketball and is kind of testing himself. Maybe there is some type of arrangement where Thad will take over as head coach in a year or two if he feels like he can do it.

Reactions: Chris A.

His first year with ATL skewed his numbers. I think he won 25 games that year.

The roles should be reversed: Thad should be the head coach and Mike should be an assistant. Maybe this is the ultimate goal. I'm guessing Thad's health is still preventing him from being a head coach, but he wants to get back into college basketball and is kind of testing himself. Maybe there is some type of arrangement where Thad will take over as head coach in a year or two if he feels like he can do it.
You are losing any credibility didnt u want Alford

Yada,yada,yada. Everyone wants the new flavor of the month-Moser,Altmann,Mussleman, etc. Go to Baskin-Robbins if you want flavors. Woodson is a winner. The main thing is to get people in college coaching around him that can recruit,develop and game plan. If he gets that,he will succeed. Peope whining about his age. He signed a six term deal. Izzo,K, Old Roy and several others are not young. Make no mistake ,Woodson will have connections and bring in talent. Kids want to play for guys that have NBA coaching experience. If some of you hate IU and its' choice so bad- find another bandwagon to jump on. I've watched IU since the late sixties so I'll continue and support them.

I expected a proven ncaa experienced coach, or a young super motivated assistant on the rise. Not an old coach with zero experience in the NCAA.
I like Woody, but he said “yes” before we asked him (while we were asking and being declined by others). He’s better than Miller or Crean or Davis, but this feels a little desperate. Hope he does great.

Articulated like a guy who lives in his grandmother's basement.

20+ years coaching at the highest level. Had his hands shoulder-deep in this season's turnaround of a Knicks organization that has floundered for more than a decade. 9 seasons as an NBA head coach [there are only 30 of those jobs in the world]. Are you seriously contending he is somehow lacking with his X's and O's? Woodson is a natural leader, and his players will run through walls for him.

In the event anyone can actually demonstrate that Mike Woodson doesn't have the ability to recruit [no one can], there is that "little" extra feature now on the IU basketball menu called Thad Matta. I don't expect Matta to be burning up the interstates and airports criss-crossing the country. But Matta still has the phone numbers, email addresses and relationships with those who are coaching the five and four-star talent at the high school level. To me the argument that Woodson "won't be able to recruit" is code for "still sucking your thumb over Stevens being in Boston."

Last edited:
Prediction after 3 years Woody will retire at the age of 66 with 20 million in his pocket with a sub 500 record and live happily ever after. FUBAR

Pete Carroll was a failed NFL head coach when he took the USC football head coach position in 2001. He was USC's third choice. That turned out ok. I'm not saying Woodson will have the same type of results, but it's foolish to declare the hire a success or failure right off the bat. Let's wait for his teams to play a few games before making any definitive statements.

Do a little more critical thinking and read some of the reasoned responses. It will help you

Because the younger proven college coach knows that four years down the road there's a good chance he'll be out of a job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT