ADVERTISEMENT

Scouting Rutgers

daddyhoosier

Junior
Aug 31, 2019
iufb.net
October 21, 2022 | DaddyHoosier | iufb.net

So we’ve looked at the numbers, now it’s time to look at Rutgers in terms of scheme and personnel.

Offensively the Scarlet Knights have been running the spread. Rutgers is coming off a bye week and they have a new Offensive Coordinator – they parted ways with Sean Gleeson on October 9th. (49 points in 4 games will do that.) Tight Ends Coach Nunzio Campanile has been named Interim Offensive Coordinator / Quarterbacks Coach.

Campanile was the TE Coach for Rutgers in 2019 when he was named Interim Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator mid-season, so this is the second time he’s been asked to step in and take over the play-calling duties. The situation in 2019 was not good to say the least (this was the rutger era), so it may not be fair to judge Campanile by the results from then. The present situation is not the dumpster fire it was back then but it is also not ideal. Campanile is not in an easy spot.

Indiana does have the final 8 games of 2019 to look at on film so they are not flying completely blind.

I watched what little I could find from 2019 and I noticed three plays they found some success with. The first is a Buck Sweep. This play is a gap scheme that is easy to spot because you’ll see two pulling guards leading the way. They also ran the read-option effectively at times. (I watched the 2022 Iowa and Nebraska games and saw them run both plays as well.) Then the last play is a reverse pass / razzle-dazzle that they ran a couple times in the last 8 games of 2019.

The offensive player to keep an eye on is Johnny Langan. The Senior is a Tight End but they use him and a variety of ways. He has 12 catches for 128 yards and a touchdown, modest numbers to be sure. But he also has 27 rushes for 132 yards and 2 completions for 43 yards. He was Rutgers’ starting Quarterback in 2019 and was truly a dual threat. Indiana will need to be ready for anything when 21 is on the field.

Overall their offense will likely use a lot of motion, misdirection, play-action, and other eye candy that will test the eye-discipline of the Indiana defense. But let’s not pretend this is a potent offense because it’s not. In the Iowa game the Rutgers QBs (they play two) were taking a beating like Connor Bazelak. So yes their offensive line was really struggling with pass blocking. And against Nebraska the three interceptions thrown by Rutgers QBs seemed to be the difference in the game. If the Knights get north of 20 points it would be disappointing for the Hoosier Defense.

Defensively Rutgers runs a 4-2-5 (a scheme that is very popular these days). They are sound and don’t have a lot of busts or allow much that feels cheap. The Rutgers D is lead by Senior Safety Avery Young. This August Pro Football Focus name Young Pre-Season First Team All-Big Ten and the 24th best Safety in FBS. Avery comes into Saturday’s contest with 27 tackles, 1 interception and 2 passes defended and he leads the defense in snaps by a pretty large margin.

If you are just looking at stats Sophomore Aaron Lewis might not jump out at you but PFF just named him Third Team Mid-Season All-American. Lewis has 21 tackles, a sack and a forced fumble and PFF gives him an overall grade of 89.5 so far this year. Technique and assignment wise he is doing things that is helping the defense to succeed that may go unnoticed.

For Indiana to succeed offensively I believe they will need to be patient and methodical. Indiana Receivers will need to execute and out-athlete Knight Defenders. IU doesn’t need 200 yards on the ground but if they can get at least 100 that will bode well for Indiana’s chances. It’s fine to set up the run with the pass, you just don’t want to become one-dimensional and allow Rutgers’ sound defensive scheme to start dictating terms.

On Special Teams I already mentioned that the Scarlet Knights have four blocks already this year. Indiana can’t afford to take points off the board or to give away points on a Special Teams play. I’m sure that blocking on punt and field goal teams has been a point of emphasis in practice this week.

Senior Kick / Punt Returner Aron Cruickshank is capable of taking it to the house every time he touches it. He has 4 career kickoffs returned for a TD and 1 punt return for a TD. PFF named him Third Team All-Big Ten KR/PR in the preseason.

Junior Placekicker Jude McAtamney hails from Ireland and evidently has a big leg. He has yet to make a 50-yard attempt but he attempted one from 58 against Nebraska. The fact that they tried it indicates that the Rutgers Coaching Staff think he can make it from that far.

And finally Punter Adam Korsak was also named All-Big Ten Honorable Mention in the preseason by PFF.

October 21, 2022 | DaddyHoosier | iufb.net

So we’ve looked at the numbers, now it’s time to look at Rutgers in terms of scheme and personnel.

Offensively the Scarlet Knights have been running the spread. Rutgers is coming off a bye week and they have a new Offensive Coordinator – they parted ways with Sean Gleeson on October 9th. (49 points in 4 games will do that.) Tight Ends Coach Nunzio Campanile has been named Interim Offensive Coordinator / Quarterbacks Coach.

Campanile was the TE Coach for Rutgers in 2019 when he was named Interim Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator mid-season, so this is the second time he’s been asked to step in and take over the play-calling duties. The situation in 2019 was not good to say the least (this was the rutger era), so it may not be fair to judge Campanile by the results from then. The present situation is not the dumpster fire it was back then but it is also not ideal. Campanile is not in an easy spot.

Indiana does have the final 8 games of 2019 to look at on film so they are not flying completely blind.

I watched what little I could find from 2019 and I noticed three plays they found some success with. The first is a Buck Sweep. This play is a gap scheme that is easy to spot because you’ll see two pulling guards leading the way. They also ran the read-option effectively at times. (I watched the 2022 Iowa and Nebraska games and saw them run both plays as well.) Then the last play is a reverse pass / razzle-dazzle that they ran a couple times in the last 8 games of 2019.

The offensive player to keep an eye on is Johnny Langan. The Senior is a Tight End but they use him and a variety of ways. He has 12 catches for 128 yards and a touchdown, modest numbers to be sure. But he also has 27 rushes for 132 yards and 2 completions for 43 yards. He was Rutgers’ starting Quarterback in 2019 and was truly a dual threat. Indiana will need to be ready for anything when 21 is on the field.

Overall their offense will likely use a lot of motion, misdirection, play-action, and other eye candy that will test the eye-discipline of the Indiana defense. But let’s not pretend this is a potent offense because it’s not. In the Iowa game the Rutgers QBs (they play two) were taking a beating like Connor Bazelak. So yes their offensive line was really struggling with pass blocking. And against Nebraska the three interceptions thrown by Rutgers QBs seemed to be the difference in the game. If the Knights get north of 20 points it would be disappointing for the Hoosier Defense.

Defensively Rutgers runs a 4-2-5 (a scheme that is very popular these days). They are sound and don’t have a lot of busts or allow much that feels cheap. The Rutgers D is lead by Senior Safety Avery Young. This August Pro Football Focus name Young Pre-Season First Team All-Big Ten and the 24th best Safety in FBS. Avery comes into Saturday’s contest with 27 tackles, 1 interception and 2 passes defended and he leads the defense in snaps by a pretty large margin.

If you are just looking at stats Sophomore Aaron Lewis might not jump out at you but PFF just named him Third Team Mid-Season All-American. Lewis has 21 tackles, a sack and a forced fumble and PFF gives him an overall grade of 89.5 so far this year. Technique and assignment wise he is doing things that is helping the defense to succeed that may go unnoticed.

For Indiana to succeed offensively I believe they will need to be patient and methodical. Indiana Receivers will need to execute and out-athlete Knight Defenders. IU doesn’t need 200 yards on the ground but if they can get at least 100 that will bode well for Indiana’s chances. It’s fine to set up the run with the pass, you just don’t want to become one-dimensional and allow Rutgers’ sound defensive scheme to start dictating terms.

On Special Teams I already mentioned that the Scarlet Knights have four blocks already this year. Indiana can’t afford to take points off the board or to give away points on a Special Teams play. I’m sure that blocking on punt and field goal teams has been a point of emphasis in practice this week.

Senior Kick / Punt Returner Aron Cruickshank is capable of taking it to the house every time he touches it. He has 4 career kickoffs returned for a TD and 1 punt return for a TD. PFF named him Third Team All-Big Ten KR/PR in the preseason.

Junior Placekicker Jude McAtamney hails from Ireland and evidently has a big leg. He has yet to make a 50-yard attempt but he attempted one from 58 against Nebraska. The fact that they tried it indicates that the Rutgers Coaching Staff think he can make it from that far.

And finally Punter Adam Korsak was also named All-Big Ten Honorable Mention in the preseason by PFF.
You may as well add the option package Maryland ran against us with their backup QB... We had no answer for that. We can expect to see some variation of it from whomever we play here on out until we prove that we're able to stop it... Probably at a point in the game where we'd least expect it...

You may as well add the option package Maryland ran against us with their backup QB... We had no answer for that. We can expect to see some variation of it from whomever we play here on out until we prove that we're able to stop it... Probably at a point in the game where we'd least expect it...
😱

Reactions: 76-1

I believe their most mobile QB, Noah Vedral (Nebraska transfer), hurt his throwing hand in preseason and played for the first time against Nebraska. So he only played a portion of the game.

Apparently he has hand fatigue or something and can't always grip the ball when throwing and it's related to his hand being immobile for a while. He threw 15 passes and only completed 6. I am guessing Rutgers used the bye week to incorporate their mobile QB into the run game.

I guess if the team isn't good enough you just stop covering them?
I think it’s more that the Jets and Giants play close by in NJ.
Not a lot of big time CFB north and east of Penn State, since the Ivy League went I-AA a long ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT