ADVERTISEMENT

Hoosier Game Day: Nebraska

daddyhoosier

Junior
Aug 31, 2019
iufb.net
October 1, 2022 | DaddyHoosier | iufb.net

This feels like a big game. The closer it gets to kickoff the more that realization sets in. A common view among the usual pundits (here and here and here and here) is that Indiana’s path two six wins and Bowl Eligibility likely goes through Lincoln.

It’s difficult to argue that perspective from a fan point of view. But looking at it from the point of view of a player and/or a coach, the only thing you can worry about is Nebraska. There’s no (or shouldn’t be) ordering of opponents into games that might be won. There’s no taking games off the table because they are unwinnable. For a winning program there is only the process. Rep by rep. Practice by practice by practice. Week by week. Yes, I know it is a cliché but that is the case for a reason.

During games it’s all about the next play. When Vince Lombardi said the score board is for the fans he was correct. Are you winning your match-up? Are you doing your job? Keep your eyes and attention on what’s in front of you.

What’s in front of the Indiana Football Hoosiers is the Nebraska Cornhuskers. The Huskers are in a difficult situation, having lost their head coach and defensive coordinator in the early part of the season. I know it has been said tongue-in-cheek (mostly) that Indiana would have been better off if Trev Alberts and Nebraska would have waited to fire Scott Frost, but it usually doesn’t go too well for programs that part ways with their coach mid-season.

The research was not all-inclusive but I looked at 13 programs who fired their coach mid-season since 2019 and their combined record was 17-46. That’s a winning percentage of .270, meaning teams lost nearly 3 of 4 after letting their leader go.

If Nebraska going to salvage anything from this 2022 season that would in all likelihood begin by beating Indiana. The Huskers have had an extra week to redefine their scheme on both sides of the ball and to implement any new philosophies of this new regime. If the locker room wasn’t totally lost under Frost and there is still fight in this group Nebraska could come out very scrappy.

The big worry is the Nebraska Offense which is a competent group under a competent coordinator Mark Whipple (see my previous article). Expect the Huskers to test the Indiana Secondary with deep shots. It will also be interesting to see if Nebraska continues to be a run first team or if they decide to open things up a little bit through the air (or at least try to). On the one hand running is a strength of this team but on the other hand Whipple is not limited by the expectations of Scott Frost.

Players to Watch

Junior Quarterback Casey Thompson – The transfer from Texas has over 3,400 career passing yards with 35 Touchdowns and 12 Interceptions. It would be a mistake to think he can’t get the job done.

Junior Running Back Anthony Grant already has 464 yards and 5 TDs. He’s averaging 5.7 yards per carry. I would imagine stopping Grant and forcing Nebraska to be one-dimensional is a high priority in the Hoosier game plan.

Trey Palmer (Junior) has more than double the receptions of any other teammate (28). He has 323 yards and a TD. If Hoosiers Cornerback Tiawan Mullen and company can shut down Palmer it will go a long way toward an Indiana victory.

Senior Tight End Travis Vokolek is a very good looking player. He is a good run blocker who they use in multiple ways offensively. If you missed it check out my breakdown here. He has 6 catches for 65 yards and no TDs on the season but definitely not a player to sleep on in my view...

Full Article Here (original includes links)

I was serious as a heart attack when I implied we'd have a better shot at beating them With Frost and their former DC... Still can't believe they didn't wait to pull the trigger on them until after this game...

With a bye week and a new DC they've had enough time to put in a few new wrinkles and make things exponentially more difficult for us (primarily because we'll have no tape of how the new guy might attack our O)... Will it be enough to make a real difference...? Hope not...

Here's hoping the stats (.270) match reality...

***Nice article by the way; appreciate your efforts... 🍺

Reactions: vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT