ADVERTISEMENT

Where's the buzz?

bang63

Junior
Gold Member
Nov 22, 2011
I'm not seeing much interest in this team and the remainder of the season. I know I've lost the feeling that I need to arrange my Saturday around the IU game as I have for so many years. I'm curious how the attendance will be tomorrow, I'm guessing not good. The team in addition to suffering with poor tackling, blocking and no long ball game also lacks identy as do the players jerseys. I fear this team is headed in the wrong direction and the hope I've had for many years of a breakout has almost completely disappeared.

Seems to me you answered your own question...vbg. There really hasn't been much excitement or anticipation of games after the B10 season started along with the losing. Gameday on this site is a ghost town...

Probably in the 30,000 range,15,000 by games end.
Another years of high expectations and the annual kick to the nads.
TA is a good guy and all that but I fear he is in over his head.
And yes,6 weeks ago I was singing his praise.
Something needs to be done to bring some excitement to the program but I just don’t see it happening anytime soon.

Well losing 4 games in a row with fan base and the forecast is for the30's you won't see many fans in the stands. Also some people won't want to here it but now it is basketball season a lot of fans focus will be on basketball.

Reactions: bang63
Probably in the 30,000 range,15,000 by games end.
Another years of high expectations and the annual kick to the nads.
TA is a good guy and all that but I fear he is in over his head.
And yes,6 weeks ago I was singing his praise.
Something needs to be done to bring some excitement to the program but I just don’t see it happening anytime soon.
I'll be there as always but I'm not expecting a lot of company. Maryland will bring very few and with the cold weather, there won't be any casual fans who haven't already purchased tickets. I'll be surprised if there are 30k.

I think we have a good shot at winning tomorrow, but I'm really concerned that we can contain Maryland's running game. The question is "can we score enough to win" . And even though a win gets us within a game of bowl eligibility there isn't much cause for optimism that we have a chance to beat Michigan or Purdue.

Typical IU football year. Conference play crushes our soul. And now that basketball season has begun in earnest, not a lot of interest in another bad football season.

I'll be there as always but I'm not expecting a lot of company. Maryland will bring very few and with the cold weather, there won't be any casual fans who haven't already purchased tickets. I'll be surprised if there are 30k.

I think we have a good shot at winning tomorrow, but I'm really concerned that we can contain Maryland's running game. The question is "can we score enough to win" . And even though a win gets us within a game of bowl eligibility there isn't much cause for optimism that we have a chance to beat Michigan or Purdue.

Typical IU football year. Conference play crushes our soul. And now that basketball season has begun in earnest, not a lot of interest in another bad football season.
Sad but true...and I have less hope than you in a win against a team "on a mission", and one that needs to beat us for bowl eligibility.

Think about that for a second. Maryland will most likely go bowling in a year their HC is suspended for a death on the oline, controversy ensues, the team boils in it all year, fights between players, every reason to tank the season you could ask for, not even counting their injuries. And yet there they are, ready to crush us to realize THEIR DREAMs while once again we send our dreams (small caps on purpose) to the funeral pyres. There is no logical reason they are where they are except by force of will and some good luck.

And where are we? What great roadblock stood in our way to a winning season? What emotional upheaval did we have to overcome? Still looking? There just aren't any.

In the big scheme of things, Maryland is a worse indictment of IU FB than PU this year. We have brought ineptness to new levels, and this is under many coaches, not just Allen, who right now simple doesn't look the part of a savior. That might change, but it requires...yes...a change...somewhere.

Win or lose, I am not looking forward to this game. Maryland has done what's necessary to deserve to win this game, if deserves mean anything. Does IU "deserve" to win? Have we done the requisite things to be ready.

Well, I guess we're about to find out, aren't we? If we win, that's nice, but Maryland losing just means give them another week. Would a win for us have meaning, or just a statistical fluke?

I'm burning out on all of this...

I'm not seeing much interest in this team and the remainder of the season. I know I've lost the feeling that I need to arrange my Saturday around the IU game as I have for so many years. I'm curious how the attendance will be tomorrow, I'm guessing not good. The team in addition to suffering with poor tackling, blocking and no long ball game also lacks identy as do the players jerseys. I fear this team is headed in the wrong direction and the hope I've had for many years of a breakout has almost completely disappeared.
Wouldn't it be smarter to wait until the end of the month for your post mortem? There are three games remaining, and we've got a legitimate shot at a W tomorrow. You're ostensibly an IU fan. Why not show some support for our team, which continues to work its ass off, until 0:00 on November 24?

Reactions: ESalum86
Sad but true...and I have less hope than you in a win against a team "on a mission", and one that needs to beat us for bowl eligibility.
What am I missing? Aren't we, too, still fighting for bowl eligibility? And tomorrow's game is essentially an elimination game for us. A bowl doesn't happen without an IU win against Maryland.

Reactions: ESalum86

What a difficult season, even by IU standards.

We haven't played a complete game all season. But there were reasons to optimistic about some of the play in the FIU, Virginia & BSU games. From the MSU game on it's been the same old disaster movie we've seen 50 times before. A slow-motion train wreck. Even the Rutgers win, which so thrilled bowlmania, was hard to watch.

Think about that for a second. Maryland will most likely go bowling in a year their HC is suspended for a death on the oline, controversy ensues, the team boils in it all year, fights between players, every reason to tank the season you could ask for, not even counting their injuries. And yet there they are, ready to crush us to realize THEIR DREAMs while once again we send our dreams (small caps on purpose) to the funeral pyres. There is no logical reason they are where they are except by force of will and some good luck.

And where are we? What great roadblock stood in our way to a winning season? What emotional upheaval did we have to overcome? Still looking? There just aren't any.

In the big scheme of things, Maryland is a worse indictment of IU FB than PU this year. We have brought ineptness to new levels, and this is under many coaches, not just Allen, who right now simple doesn't look the part of a savior. That might change, but it requires...yes...a change...somewhere.

Win or lose, I am not looking forward to this game. Maryland has done what's necessary to deserve to win this game, if deserves mean anything. Does IU "deserve" to win? Have we done the requisite things to be ready.

Well, I guess we're about to find out, aren't we? If we win, that's nice, but Maryland losing just means give them another week. Would a win for us have meaning, or just a statistical fluke?

I'm burning out on all of this...

Awesome post....to try to answer your question of "What great roadblock stood in our way to a winning season?"......it seems to this outsider that there's an easy answer.....lack of leadership, broadly defined.

There are so many articles posted here discussing the leadership qualities of PR, or of Jacob Robinson, or of Crawford, but as myself and others have pointed out, for the most part the team has been noticeably listless and fairly disinterested on the sidelines, shockingly so in the Iowa game. There literally seems to be very little coaching going on. There was an attempt to rally the troops at the PSU game, and about 1/2 the team actually looked interested......otherwise, not so much.

I think what this season has shown is that individual players, no matter how tough and dedicated, can't rally a team when there's a lack of leadership/competence at the top. That's the real issue....not the inexperience of the team, injuries, the lack of talent, the schedule and the 10 other excuses that don't stop teams like NW or Purdue from over-achieving.

What's really weird is that Allen isn't resigned to losing (see Bill Lynch, Cam)....he appears to be engaged, but clueless. A real lack of awareness, just spouting the same claptrap. That gives me some hope, rapidly fading, that the light might come on and he could see the problems that are so obvious......start by dumping LEO, the black jacket and the cap, Coach!

Reactions: Rakkasan29
Wouldn't it be smarter to wait until the end of the month for your post mortem? There are three games remaining, and we've got a legitimate shot at a W tomorrow. You're ostensibly an IU fan. Why not show some support for our team, which continues to work its ass off, until 0:00 on November 24?

Simple question......how do you know the team is working it's ass off? Because if you have actual knowledge that that is the case, it would be somewhat reassuring. Otherwise, it's just your usual bs.

Well losing 4 games in a row with fan base and the forecast is for the30's you won't see many fans in the stands. Also some people won't want to here it but now it is basketball season a lot of fans focus will be on basketball.

And you’ll be there?

You are constantly railing on about supporting the team. You gonna be there to scream you lungs out tomorrow?

What am I missing? Aren't we, too, still fighting for bowl eligibility? And tomorrow's game is essentially an elimination game for us. A bowl doesn't happen without an IU win against Maryland.
And since we're not beating MICH or PUR, a bowl doesn't happen even with an IU win against Maryland. (Unless we get in on APR scores--which I have no idea how far up the list we are.)

We needed MINN. We blew it. Such as losing to MD blew a bowl bid last year, MINN did it this year.

Reactions: IUgradman
And since we're not beating MICH or PUR, a bowl doesn't happen even with an IU win against Maryland. (Unless we get in on APR scores--which I have no idea how far up the list we are.)

We needed MINN. We blew it. Such as losing to MD blew a bowl bid last year, MINN did it this year.
You're wrong about Purdue. It's a rivalry game. In Bloomington. A Purdue win is hardly a fait accompli. But not much point talking about it pending the outcome of tomorrow's game, which is rather huge.

You're wrong about Purdue. It's a rivalry game. In Bloomington. A Purdue win is hardly a fait accompli. But not much point talking about it pending the outcome of tomorrow's game, which is rather huge.
I'm not wrong about PUR. I will now give you a list of the mutual opponents PUR has beaten that we haven't:

OSU
IOWA

I will now give you a list of the mutual opponents we've beaten that PUR hasn't.

Doesn't matter that's it's a rivalry. They're better than us. (Didn't matter in basketball last year either--they were better and beat us. And that game was in. . .Bloomington.) And they'll prove it in two weeks whether or not we beat MD.

I'm not wrong about PUR. I will now give you a list of the mutual opponents PUR has beaten that we haven't:

OSU
IOWA

I will now give you a list of the mutual opponents we've beaten that PUR hasn't.

Doesn't matter that's it's a rivalry. They're better than us. (Didn't matter in basketball last year either--they were better and beat us. And that game was in. . .Bloomington.) And they'll prove it in two weeks whether or not we beat MD.
I don't have a lot of confidence about the MD or the PU games...but...the way you say it why even play the game. You can't go through life with a losers attitude...even if you lose, more so. You have to fight and believe even in the face of impossible odds. Yeah, we probably aren't going to win another game....but then again that is why we play the damn games because they just might surprise all of us.

If IU plays their best game they are at least as good as MD...at least even odds. In this crazy world we live in, that is as good as youre going to get unless your initials are OSU or UM or PSU...

Okay, we are the underdogs. I kinda like playing from behind. More motivation. If the kids come out prepared and ready to play hard and smart, I like our 50-50 odds. IF we come out flat, the season is over and MD will score 40 points.

Let's root for Allen to get the troops ready for the fight of their FB lives. Its do or die time...no more margins for error. We wont upset Michigan...not going to happen this year...but beat MD and they are good enough to beat PU.

Let's worry about them not doing until after the game.

I don't have a lot of confidence about the MD or the PU games...but...the way you say it why even play the game. You can't go through life with a losers attitude...even if you lose, more so. You have to fight and believe even in the face of impossible odds. Yeah, we probably aren't going to win another game....but then again that is why we play the damn games because they just might surprise all of us.

If IU plays their best game they are at least as good as MD...at least even odds. In this crazy world we live in, that is as good as youre going to get unless your initials are OSU or UM or PSU...

Okay, we are the underdogs. I kinda like playing from behind. More motivation. If the kids come out prepared and ready to play hard and smart, I like our 50-50 odds. IF we come out flat, the season is over and MD will score 40 points.

Let's root for Allen to get the troops ready for the fight of their FB lives. Its do or die time...no more margins for error. We wont upset Michigan...not going to happen this year...but beat MD and they are good enough to beat PU.

The schedule requires them to play. Unfortunately, they don’t have what’s necessary to win.

A lot of ifs there. Too many, in fact.

Better to be pleasantly surprised than bitterly disappointed.

I concur likely smaller crowd today, but throwing out some thoughts for input:

-Doesn’t weather have something to do with things? PSU game ending was sad, but it was just awful that day, unbearable to some who left. Today will be 31 & sunny at game time, better than rain and I’d go as a student for sure, but sitting in freezing weather is t always great and MD is NOT a good draw.

-Long time tailgate party/drinking culture is hard to change. Parents are part of the “blame” but I would say an undefeated team (exaggeration) would likely get people coming inside.

-$70 tickets. I’m sorry but If fear is other fans coming into stadium SO WHAT! I’d take a sold out game with 50% from other team over 30,000 IU fans very time. Get an electric atmosphere and players will come, more fans will too. Charge students $10 and all others $25 max and start raising prices again when the DEMAND is there.

-Names on jerseys. To me was just a dumb, non fan-friendly move. Change it back next year.

*the lack of ticket pricing creativity and names pulled DOES fall squarely on Glass. I won’t bash him for Allen, who I still believe in or Archie, who I think is very much on his way. But the attendance/fan friendly efforts can be improved and that’s on him to support team better.

My hope is IU beats MD today, making Bucket game bigger, and bowl game possible. Hat alone wil have most of us hyped for the Bucket and a win here makes most of this year’s bad taste go away. Would be a game improvement, Bucket win and a bowl. If hat happens (& I know it’s NOT a slam dunk for sure) but if it does, program would be right back on track.

Go IU

Only one amendment...it might be 31 by games end but not to start.but its only 20 degrees right now and feels like 14 degrees with wind chill. That...is cold in anybody's book.

Football weather!!! But not fan weather, not like in the old days when we would bundle up and someone always had some hot drink to keep us warm. Crowds packed in and no one hardly noticed the cold for the fun...ah days gone by...

Reactions: bang63
$70 tickets. I’m sorry but If fear is other fans coming into stadium SO WHAT! I’d take a sold out game with 50% from other team over 30,000 IU fans very time. Get an electric atmosphere and players will come, more fans will too. Charge students $10 and all others $25 max and start raising prices again when the DEMAND is there.
There's a BOGO/$35 offer (two for the price of one) for today's game and Purdue.

Only one amendment...it might be 31 by games end but not to start.but its only 20 degrees right now and feels like 14 degrees with wind chill. That...is cold in anybody's book.

Football weather!!! But not fan weather, not like in the old days when we would bundle up and someone always had some hot drink to keep us warm. Crowds packed in and no one hardly noticed the cold for the fun...ah days gone by...
I can't recall too many 20/25 degree games in Bloomington. This is pretty unusual and extreme for early November.

Reactions: IUCol

-Doesn’t weather have something to do with things? PSU game ending was sad, but it was just awful that day, unbearable to some who left. Today will be 31 & sunny at game time, better than rain and I’d go as a student for sure, but sitting in freezing weather is t always great and MD is NOT a good draw.

-Long time tailgate party/drinking culture is hard to change. Parents are part of the “blame” but I would say an undefeated team (exaggeration) would likely get people coming inside.

-$70 tickets. I’m sorry but If fear is other fans coming into stadium SO WHAT! I’d take a sold out game with 50% from other team over 30,000 IU fans very time. Get an electric atmosphere and players will come, more fans will too. Charge students $10 and all others $25 max and start raising prices again when the DEMAND is there.

-Names on jerseys. To me was just a dumb, non fan-friendly move. Change it back next year.

*the lack of ticket pricing creativity and names pulled DOES fall squarely on Glass. I won’t bash him for Allen, who I still believe in or Archie, who I think is very much on his way. But the attendance/fan friendly efforts can be improved and that’s on him to support team better.

My hope is IU beats MD today, making Bucket game bigger, and bowl game possible. Hat alone wil have most of us hyped for the Bucket and a win here makes most of this year’s bad taste go away. Would be a game improvement, Bucket win and a bowl. If hat happens (& I know it’s NOT a slam dunk for sure) but if it does, program would be right back on track.

Go IU

The term "must win" comes to mind.

OSU
IOWA

Tell that to Eastern Michigan who beat that same Purdue team at Purdue.

i think we are favored by a point, actually

No buzz in town.

Snowing tonight with cold predicted tomorrow.

Bball team rolling people under good stewardship.

Bye week after 4 game losing streak, bball starting, and snow.

Go IU
agree 100% about ticket prices. not spending $200-$300 hard earned to watch a team that refuses to return kicks. btw, can we put someone back there who can actually break a tackle. in four years majette has never broken a tackle or made a guy miss.

There will be 10k there tomorrow.

Go IU
concerning names on jerseys: doesn't seem to be a problem for out basketball and soccer teams

EMU would beat us too.
And we couldn't beat Virginia. Oh wait....

Saying you can't beat a team before the game is played is pointless. How about you wait for the game to be played before making such a declaration.

Who in the world is still going to games and paying the AD $?

If you want change, boycott the games. It’s that simple. Plus it’s 20 degrees out.

Who in the world is still going to games and paying the AD $?

If you want change, boycott the games. It’s that simple. Plus it’s 20 degrees out.
I just parked and cracked open a brew. Gonna need to numb myself for this one. Again hope I’m wrong.

Bit of logistics.

Anyone parking in lot 11? Why in the hell do they have an entire parking section blocked off? I paid for lot 11 therefore should be able to park anywhere in lot 11. But no. Entire section is blocked off. Folks who run this show don’t make things easy. It’s ridiculous.

And now they take the cones away. But only at one end. Why put them there in the first place??? Mind numbingly stupid.

Reactions: Indianaftw
And we couldn't beat Virginia. Oh wait....

Saying you can't beat a team before the game is played is pointless. How about you wait for the game to be played before making such a declaration.
We played UVA in a monsoon. That was a great equalizer.

How about you realize that MINN is worse than every team we play the rest of the way, and we couldn’t beat them. And I said before that game we were going to lose to them. Because that’s Indiana football.

Truth hurts, baby.

We played UVA in a monsoon. That was a great equalizer.

How about you realize that MINN is worse than every team we play the rest of the way, and we couldn’t beat them. And I said before that game we were going to lose to them. Because that’s Indiana football.

Truth hurts, baby.
Looks like you've really got your finger on the pulse of IU football.

Looks like you've really got your finger on the pulse of IU football.
Not the first time I’ve picked a game wrong, and it won’t be the last. I’ve picked more right than wrong this season.

We got lucky today. I don’t think we’ll be as lucky in two weeks, but if we do, hooray for us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT