ADVERTISEMENT

Here comes two tiers of B1G football & relegation

I’m gonna be a grumpy old man for a moment.

Get rid of the playoff
Shrink conferences
Limit the number of bowl games to 20
Bring back the tie

What I’d give for college football to go back to following your team against conference opponents you are at least half ass familiar with with the goal of finishing at or near the top of your conference and getting rewarded with a bowl game in a warm weather part of the country.

That is all…….now get off my lawn.
I get what you're saying dude, but why bring back the tie?

Reactions: vesuvius13
What kinda kills that is the west coast where if you don't add one more team from that side of the country, you'll have an odd man out. Now, hopping on the speculation train, if you got ND and FSU 4 team "zone" pods fall right into line:

west
Or
Was
USC
UCLA

Upper MW
Neb
Wisky
Iowa
Minny

MW
OSU
IN
Illni
Pur

Great Lakes
MI
MSU
NW
ND

East
Rutgers
Mary
PSU
FSU

The midwest and GL could switch IU or Purdue but one would have to be the sacrificial lamb for the GL pod, although with all the changes maybe Mi won't be the powerhouse they've been the last few years. Could also put ND and NW into the Great lakes (which makes regional sense) and put OSU and Indiana into the MW. Tht actually looks a little better.

Changed it. That does look better, Purdue could still have their protected rivalry game with NW and start the Shillelagh back up with the irish as the same.
I'm sure OSU would like this setup, being in the same pod with IU, Ill and PU; while UM is in a pod with MSU and ND. The problem with pods is the same as it was with divisions: balance. Is it fair to put OR, WA, USC and UCLA in the same pod?

I get what you're saying dude, but why bring back the tie?
Because it adds drama on the play to win/lose vs tie.

We’ve got ties in boxing, pro wrestling, hockey, soccer, & NFL. Had them in college football until like 1995. I don’t see the problem with them.

I’m gonna be a grumpy old man for a moment.

Get rid of the playoff
Shrink conferences
Limit the number of bowl games to 20
Bring back the tie

What I’d give for college football to go back to following your team against conference opponents you are at least half ass familiar with with the goal of finishing at or near the top of your conference and getting rewarded with a bowl game in a warm weather part of the country.

That is all…….now get off my lawn.
Eliminate the forward pass too!

Add 2 more teams.

Create 4 pods of 5 teams.

Play 2 non conf games, 4 pod games and 4 non-pod.

Top 8 teams play B2G championship playoff. Up to 3 games

Other teams play consolation bracket games.

The best match ups are end of season. Crappy teams play crappy teams.
What would be the max number of games any team would play (prior to the national playoffs)?

I'm sure OSU would like this setup, being in the same pod with IU, Ill and PU; while UM is in a pod with MSU and ND. The problem with pods is the same as it was with divisions: balance. Is it fair to put OR, WA, USC and UCLA in the same pod?
I like the 4 divisions of 5 teams. It will likely have a stronger/weaker division but hopefully not as unfair as the current set up.

What would be the max number of games any team would play (prior to the national playoffs)?
2 noncon, 4 pod, 4 nonpod, plus 2 conf tourney and 1 champ game. 13 games Max if you get in the conf title game.

If the national playoffs expand even more and 13 is too much, then can go with 4 team conf playoffs instead of 8, for max of 12 games played.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT