ADVERTISEMENT

When the plane lands in Bloomington

I'm not down on them winning that outright title - it was a great accomplishment. But any unbiased observer could see IU was not as strong the last 2-3 weeks of the season. Crean- up until last year- never caught on to the concept of tapering practices late in the season.

He's been in coaching long enough to know the conventional wisdom of late season practices. He just is determined that he is above conventional wisdom. If he were a football coach, he would need to show his brilliance by regularly going for it on 4th down from his own 25.

Reactions: Bobsnotbucks
He's been in coaching long enough to know the conventional wisdom of late season practices. He just is determined that he is above conventional wisdom. If he were a football coach, he would need to show his brilliance by regularly going for it on 4th down from his own 25.

BUT....what if he converts on the 4th and 25? :)

The switching defenses in the middle of the possessions, and having bigs dribbling into zones, showed his lack of wisdom explicitly .. There's a reason no successful coach does those things - they don't ****ing work.

I'm not down on them winning that outright title - it was a great accomplishment. But any unbiased observer could see IU was not as strong the last 2-3 weeks of the season. Crean- up until last year- never caught on to the concept of tapering practices late in the season.
Are you really saying you or anyone else on this board is unbiased. There is no one on this site that is unbiased when it comes to Crean and can be objective on this situation.

Are you really saying you or anyone else on this board is unbiased. There is no one on this site that is unbiased when it comes to Crean and can be objective on this situation.
Not true.

I give credit where credit is due, but will call out the bitter truth as well. Remember the list of Crean's career stats I provided? Gave him plenty of credit as an offensive coach; he's done well there. But his teams have sucked at TO's and defense. The stats don't lie.

you keep using that word like you actually understand it ..

Being that you're a stats denier, you should probably stop.

Reactions: Shirtsandskins
I was a huge supporter when he was hired. After watching his squads play D and alley ball I realized he was fairly incompetent.

Oh I have no idea if that truly was the case. Nor do I know if that would definitely cause harm. It's very possible but the difference between you and me is you say that IS (part of) the problem and truthfully, you have no clue.

You've been given two examples of games where people have actually SEEN the players being physically pushed HARD right before each contest and, lo and behold, we lost both convincingly.

Now while I'll admit that (running players hard before a game) isn't likely the sole reason IU lost, if you think that is not part of the problem you, truthfully, have NO clue. Zero. Nada. None.

You've been given two examples of games where people have actually SEEN the players being physically pushed HARD right before each contest and, lo and behold, we lost both convincingly.

Now while I'll admit that (running players hard before a game) isn't likely the sole reason IU lost, if you think that is not part of the problem you, truthfully, have NO clue. Zero. Nada. None.

Tas, I said its very possible. You say it DEF is. Again, you don't highlight that because it doesn't fit your agenda. You must just enjoy arguing.

Not true.

I give credit where credit is due, but will call out the bitter truth as well. Remember the list of Crean's career stats I provided? Gave him plenty of credit as an offensive coach; he's done well there. But his teams have sucked at TO's and defense. The stats don't lie.

So you think Creans offense is good?

Tas, I said its very possible. You say it DEF is. Again, you don't highlight that because it doesn't fit your agenda. You must just enjoy arguing.
Do you think it would have an impact when it was done on Friday preceding a BTT game, and then again Saturday (late morning), less than 24 hours later, prior to the next game?

Do you think it would have an impact when it was done on Friday preceding a BTT game, and then again Saturday (late morning), less than 24 hours later, prior to the next game?

You are under the assumption that he actually has a stance to answer. He's too busy arguing the validity of the words 'very possible' and 'definitely', not the actual substance of a post.

You are under the assumption that he actually has a stance to answer. He's too busy arguing the validity of the words 'very possible' and 'definitely', not the actual substance of a post.

Right, it is possible. I won't however, state that IS the issue to help validate my senseless point of view. I didn't realize the experts we had on this board. Amazing.

Look back at a discussion you and I had after the Wisconsin game - Does Crean have any supporters left? Crean subbed out Johnson, Morgan and Davis at a critical junction of the game "because they needed a blow", yet none of them had been on the floor more than 6 minutes straight.

If Crean ran them as he's done in the past prior to that game, you don't think that made a difference? Was it the only reason? NO - but to blow it off because "I don't know for sure" leaves us to beleave you like to argue more than you care to admit.

Look back at a discussion you and I had after the Wisconsin game - Does Crean have any supporters left? Crean subbed out Johnson, Morgan and Davis at a critical junction of the game "because they needed a blow", yet none of them had been on the floor more than 6 minutes straight.

If Crean ran them as he's done in the past prior to that game, you don't think that made a difference? Was it the only reason? NO - but to blow it off because "I don't know for sure" leaves us to beleave you like to argue more than you care to admit.
They needed a blow in a game where none had gone beyond 6 consecutive minutes AND at a slower "Wisconsin pace", which should have positively contributed to IUs late game stamina.

Unfortunately, Crean is all about routinized substitution patterns and lacks an intuitive feel for the game, so deviating from his pre-determined lineups is a big no no. He considers that a function of his highly evolved view of the game, ignoring the practical faux pas that it often turns out to be. One would think this would jump out at him when he "watches the film", but film can't teach the instinct and nuance that is so lacking in his coaching.

So you think Creans offense is good?
Good at what?

Generating numbers and ratings? He's done very well in that regard - although having an offense that relies on players with individual ability to break down defenses leaves you vulnerable in years you lack those types of players (like this year).

Generating consistent teams capable of winning championships? Not so much. In 9 years at IU Crean has had one such team. He doesn't recruit well enough to support the system he prefers to utilize.

Reactions: thoops7
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT