ADVERTISEMENT

Does Crean have any supporters left?

Sounds good. I would love to have a discussion with him and just see how he sees the basketball program right now and what his future goals are within the program

Ok so I just got off the phone with him. He said he holds your opinion with high regard but has to go with his gut. He sees IU as an annual middle of the pack B1G team type program and making the NCAA tournament as a successful season. So far he believe's Crean has been able to achieve these lofty expectations and for that, he plans to reward him with a larger deal to extend him to 2027.

Thoughts?

Ok so I just got off the phone with him. He said he holds your opinion with high regard but has to go with his gut. He sees IU as an annual middle of the pack B1G team type program and making the NCAA tournament as a successful season. So far he believe's Crean has been able to achieve these lofty expectations and for that, he plans to reward him with a larger deal to extend him to 2027.

Thoughts?

In that case I'd choose another team. Haha.

Reactions: bsmitty08
Too be fair, very few of the "haterz" (many who have shown up suddenly this year) were posting much during the conference season last year. Some did, but a few notables were conspicuous by their absence, only showing up intermittently to remind everyone how weak the Big 10 and the schedule were.
If only the haterz would be silenced in March one year....

Reactions: jimmygoiu

Thoughts?
Believe me, Fred doesn't need your phone call. He's hearing PLENTY from the boosters. I can guarantee you that.

Thoughts?
Awful and he needs replaced if that's his goals

Reactions: RRgo
What his problem is now is that those good graces only work for so long. While I didn't expect him to HAVE to win a title over these last 5 years, I wanted to see some progress with the understanding that eventually that would need to happen. I am also reasonable in that a mass exodus like in 12-13 could cause a 1 year hiccup. So his tenure up to this point has feathered the line of my expectations through this season. With that said, I also expect the progress to continue to rise beyond what we have achieved so far. If this season turns out sour (and it sure hasn't looked great so far) then I have always been on board to move on. Its the constant bashing of what he HAS done that makes everyone's opinions invalid. I see it from both perspectives and give an honest representation. When all you do is bash and give no credence do the opposing point of view is where you begin to become a worthless read. And that isn't tied to you Scott as you seem to have always been in the same boat as I've been.

The issue with your statement is that us "haters" figured it out several years ago that he wasn't that good of a coach. We have then continually pointed out his many flaws and hiccups along the way and in the end we were correct.

Rather, then taking a step back and realizing we were right all along, you double down on calling us haters and for constantly bashing the coach. He rightly deserved the criticism. Your not being fair minded, but mostly just an arse to us.

Wait a minute...was that a clever comment about Crean not having conference success? That's so unlike you, or anyone else around here. :rolleyes:
Conference success haha. No, some of us still refuse to become Purdue. It would be nice to be silenced just one time during tournament time though. I have a feeling the haterz will be singing like song birds again this year.

The good news is this era of IUBB is approaching the end.

Conference success haha. No, some of us still refuse to become Purdue. It would be nice to be silenced just one time during tournament time though. I have a feeling the haterz will be singing like song birds again this year.

The good news is this era of IUBB is approaching the end.
I meant tournament success, which totally changes the meaning of my post. Sorry.

In March? You do realize IU won their second outright B1G title in March. Thanks and good night.
And they also got bounced in the first round of the BTT before getting blown out by UNC in the NCAAT. So there's that. Some of us would like to make it to April every once in awhile. Sadly, some do not.

The issue with your statement is that us "haters" figured it out several years ago that he wasn't that good of a coach. We have then continually pointed out his many flaws and hiccups along the way and in the end we were correct.

Rather, then taking a step back and realizing we were right all along, you double down on calling us haters and for constantly bashing the coach. He rightly deserved the criticism. Your not being fair minded, but mostly just an arse to us.

LOL wait, so let me get this clear. When Crean beats Izzo and Matta 2 out of the 4 years for B1G titles, Crean supporters were wrong and you were right? LOL this post might be the best one so far. That would be like me proclaiming the next coach is going to be garbage. Then 10 years and 2 contract extensions later saying "I told you so" no matter what happened in the meantime. oh boy....

And they also got bounced in the first round of the BTT before getting blown out by UNC in the NCAAT. So there's that. Some of us would like to make it to April every once in awhile. Sadly, some do not.

You completely passed over beating Kentucky and advancing to the 2nd weekend of the tournament. Interesting how you pick and choose what fits your argument. Who doesn't want to make it to April every once in awhile? Please point those posters out so we can mock them.

Some understand the alternative coaching options that will truly be available to IU. Sadly, some do not.

You completely passed over beating Kentucky and advancing to the 2nd weekend of the tournament. Interesting how you pick and choose what fits your argument. Who doesn't want to make it to April every once in awhile? Please point those posters out so we can mock them.

Some understand the alternative coaching options that will truly be available to IU. Sadly, some do not.
And some have decided that beating one of Kentucky's least competitive teams in years and getting to the Sweet 16 is the pinnacle of college hoops.

It's all about standards and expectations, or the unmistakeable lack thereof (in spite of the perfunctory protests to the contrary). Settlers always be settling, especially when they tell you they aren't.

You guys complain because the almighty RMK would bench someone if he wasn't performing. Yet if Crean does the same thing you blow your gasket

Gotta call B.S. here - because that is simply not true from the other night.

Take a look here at the play by play from the second half. Blackmon sits down at the 16:15 mark after lackluster defense (again) led to a 46-39 Wisconsin lead. He is on the bench until 8:50 left, when Davis / Morgan / Johnson were all subbed out at once and sat for the next 4-1/2 minutes - that CRITICAL stretch where we went from being tied 54-all to trailing again by seven at 66-59.

That is why we complain about Crean. No other coach can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory quite like CTC.

I don't consider last year a failure, i simply don't see it as a sign of improvement. That team was in some ways an aberration, for part of the year they played better defense than TC teams normally do, but for the most part they were able to win in spite of the normal TC team deficiencies. Their seeding shows that teams success was built largely on smoke and mirrors or as TC likes to call it, his cupcake scheduling

TC is a good but not great coach, who when in the right situation has proven that he can build a successful team but he has also proven that he isn't going to be the type of coach who can build a successful program...meaning more than a couple good years followed by the down years

Winning a title this year won't change who TC is as a coach, it'll just hide his warts. If MD would've won the 02 title would that have made him a goid coach? In other words even less than elite coaches can win titles, Massimino, Valvano, Sloan, Williams etc....that doesn't mean they are elite coaches.

AND, that BT schedule last year was an aberration!

Did you say winning a title this year? Good one!

LOL wait, so let me get this clear. When Crean beats Izzo and Matta 2 out of the 4 years for B1G titles, Crean supporters were wrong and you were right? LOL this post might be the best one so far. That would be like me proclaiming the next coach is going to be garbage. Then 10 years and 2 contract extensions later saying "I told you so" no matter what happened in the meantime. oh boy....

I am just going to assume you're a curmudgeon and give you a free pass for this ridiculous response.

Wow, basing your argument off a 2nd round tournament win. It would be funny if you weren't so serious.

There will be plenty of options when the coaching jobs opens here very soon. We'll look back on this era and laugh wondering why it took us so long.

I live out of state and rely on message boards for my IU basketball info. I know that message board are a very small sample of the over all fans. What is it like around the state. If I had to guess, I would say 60% support the tan. Is that too high? Low? How much support does Glass have? How about the big money donors? Do they have Creans back?
Crean doesn't get booed at games. He gets polite applause and a general acceptance, but not cheering like anytime RMK is shown on the jumbotron. I've really never supported or hated him. When he does a good job I will say so, as well as when he sucks.

I thought he did as well as most would do last year dealing with injuries and getting as far as we did. This year has been a big disappointment so far for which he should take a lot of the blame. Those 300+ ranked teams scheduled were supposed to be offset by winning a lot of conference games. His formula backfired due to poor play. He scheduled weak and lost - his fault. His teams don't value the ball - his fault. He has never emphasized defense - his fault.

He is what he is. I don't see him changing. I wonder if he would be a better NBA coach? Maybe he should try!

Reactions: IUinLville
Crean doesn't get booed at games. He gets polite applause and a general acceptance, but not cheering like anytime RMK is shown on the jumbotron. I've really never supported or hated him. When he does a good job I will say so, as well as when he sucks.

I thought he did as well as most would do last year dealing with injuries and getting as far as we did. This year has been a big disappointment so far for which he should take a lot of the blame. Those 300+ ranked teams scheduled were supposed to be offset by winning a lot of conference games. His formula backfired due to poor play. He scheduled weak and lost - his fault. His teams don't value the ball - his fault. He has never emphasized defense - his fault.

He is what he is. I don't see him changing. I wonder if he would be a better NBA coach? Maybe he should try!
From what I heard someone say is that Crean gets a lot of his offense from the NBA. NBA analytics show the best shots are the corner 3's and that is why he uses that shot all the time.

From what I heard someone say is that Crean gets a lot of his offense from the NBA. NBA analytics show the best shots are the corner 3's and that is why he uses that shot all the time.
There are a lot of elements of the NBA in his system. If we had a squad of NBA players we could judge if he would be any better in the NBA. Somebody should plant the seed that he should be in the NBA. Maybe we can trade Crean for Stevens.

Reactions: bailey777
There are a lot of elements of the NBA in his system. If we had a squad of NBA players we could judge if he would be any better in the NBA. Somebody should plant the seed that he should be in the NBA. Maybe we can trade Crean for Stevens.
Sounds like a great trade

Wow, basing your argument off a 2nd round tournament win. It would be funny if you weren't so serious.

There will be plenty of options when the coaching jobs opens here very soon. We'll look back on this era and laugh wondering why it took us so long.
I only hope so. This should of ended before last season.

I live out of state and rely on message boards for my IU basketball info. I know that message board are a very small sample of the over all fans. What is it like around the state. If I had to guess, I would say 60% support the tan. Is that too high? Low? How much support does Glass have? How about the big money donors? Do they have Creans back?
He is the IU basketball coach so he has my support. Are there concerns about this team? Yes.

Reactions: cryano
lol Please go back and read post 127. It literally answers every question you just posed.You really do have to listen to what others say because just running around spouting your own agenda accomplishes nothing and slowly devalues your own opinion.

People can like or hate Crean all they want. It doesn't mean their reasoning is correct though. I didn't like the lineup in right after we took the lead on Wisky but I also wasn't in the huddle to understand the purpose of it. You guys complain because the almighty RMK would bench someone if he wasn't performing. Yet if Crean does the same thing you blow your gasket. Their truly is no way to win with the Crean bashers and THAT is the problem. You can go through this thread alone and see people stating the worst case scenario is if IU made the Elite 8 this year. Then in the same thread state they root for IU every game. Really? Again, it further devalues ones opinion.
I don't need to read "Post 127", 150 or 200. I read all I needed to with the statement of, "I still support Crean". What else is there(for you) to say. You have this before---"wait until the season is over". Ok. But why? He is who he is. That's not going to change in the next 2-3 months. Crean is the coach he is. Which is average. So if you feel Indiana deserve's an average coach, then I can see why you're happy. I don't feel IU deserve's an average coach. Therefore, I'm not happy.

No way that trade goes through, Boston would still need a head coach.

I don't need to read "Post 127", 150 or 200. I read all I needed to with the statement of, "I still support Crean". What else is there(for you) to say. You have this before---"wait until the season is over". Ok. But why? He is who he is. That's not going to change in the next 2-3 months. Crean is the coach he is. Which is average. So if you feel Indiana deserve's an average coach, then I can see why you're happy. I don't feel IU deserve's an average coach. Therefore, I'm not happy.

All I read was "wah wah wah".....

So if you feel Indiana deserve's an average coach, then I can see why you're happy. I don't feel IU deserve's an average coach. Therefore, I'm not happy.
Indiana doesn't "deserve" -- or is entitled to or owed -- anything.

I get why we need to wait until the end of the season to completely give up on this team. As bad as we have been playing, there is a chance the team from the UNC or Kansas game can return if they start playing smarter on both ends of the court.

I feel besides eliminating the stupid turnovers that we commit too freely, we need to follow the scouting report on defense and move on offense. Move on offense does not include dribbling side to side with the ball. Nothing good happens with this team while they dribble. It is what we do because we don't know what to do with the ball.

I get why we need to wait until the end of the season to completely give up on this team. As bad as we have been playing, there is a chance the team from the UNC or Kansas game can return if they start playing smarter on both ends of the court.

I feel besides eliminating the stupid turnovers that we commit too freely, we need to follow the scouting report on defense and move on offense. Move on offense does not include dribbling side to side with the ball. Nothing good happens with this team while they dribble. It is what we do because we don't know what to do with the ball.
Has nothing to do with giving up on the team. I give up on Crean. Have done so for some time. This years just another example of why.

Indiana doesn't "deserve" -- or is entitled to or owed -- anything.
Oh give me a break with this shit. Folks who donate thousands and thousands of dollars to Indiana would probably disagree. Those who pay for season tickests probably do as well. Those who travel all over the country to support IU, probably do as well. Don't patronize, me. You know exactly what the **** my point was/is.

That costs money and the news comes out shortly after anyhow .

Not only that, but EVERY interview with a player is the EXACT same, "I had a great time. Crean told me what I need to work on. Loved the campus."

No need, nor want, to pay that "inside info."

And they couldn't have been more wrong about Kris if they tried....and the worst part is, they were very smug with, "Only we really know what's going on."

Peegs is basically nothing but Crean's cheerleader now.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
Yes that was good but we still only are a 5 seed last year...to me the BiG championship wasn't all that impressive.

Plus, last year we had one of the easiest Big Ten schedules of all time.

And does any Crean-apologist really think we'd have won it if Blackmon hadn't been injured? He's proving once again he can't guard a chair.

OG would have barely seen the floor.

Yes Crean does still have supporters but their all on disability and can only read braille.

Both programs were relatively weak during that span. And once again our talent those years just like this year was elite. Crean can not get the job done with the elite talent whats gonna happen when recruits start realizing his cowardly style of basketball? That can give 2cents less about defense.

Not in my house...I have been a IU fan since the early 50's (I'm 76) and have never seen coaching like it is been at IU since Crean has been there. He doesn't leave players in long enough for them to work up a sweat... Take a close look at their faces as they are benched time and time again....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT