ADVERTISEMENT

Does Crean have any supporters left?

Both programs were relatively weak during that span. And once again our talent those years just like this year was elite. Crean can not get the job done with the elite talent whats gonna happen when recruits start realizing his cowardly style of basketball? That can give 2cents less about defense.

Wait, "after 16 years", recruits still don't realize that? They need "20 more games"?

And they also got bounced in the first round of the BTT before getting blown out by UNC in the NCAAT. So there's that. Some of us would like to make it to April every once in awhile. Sadly, some do not.
You may have skipped a few games but at least you are being subjective.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the Crean issue is not about his W's or L's. Rather, Crean plays a run and gun style which is the antithesis of historic Indiana basketball. I sincerely believe IU fans would get behind him if we could identify his strategy on the court or interpret his interviews. Know one understands what he is doing which makes it hard to be a fan.

Reactions: JCHoosier
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the Crean issue is not about his W's or L's. Rather, Crean plays a run and gun style which is the antithesis of historic Indiana basketball. I sincerely believe IU fans would get behind him if we could identify his strategy on the court or interpret his interviews. Know one understands what he is doing which makes it hard to be a fan.
Going to have to respectfully disagree with this. He has a 43% winning percentage in the Big Ten and has never made it further than the S16. It's all about wins and losses.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the Crean issue is not about his W's or L's. Rather, Crean plays a run and gun style which is the antithesis of historic Indiana basketball.
Historically, before Knight, we had the Hurryin' Hoosiers, who were run 'n' gun all the way. (There was even some grumbling in Knight's first couple years about his "slow" and "dull" style.) It's all about the Ws & Ls. Since our loses seem to stem mostly from our poor defense, that's what people complain about. Although I personally don't buy that that's our primary problem. For example, Syracuse was a failure of our offense to execute against their superior defense, and our losing streak against PU and Hammonds was due to Crean's insistence on driving the lane and allowing AJ to slam it back down our throats.

Reactions: Sope Creek

I disagree. Even if we "understood his basketball" but got our butts kicked every time he made the Sweet 16, I'd still want him gone.

I live out of state and rely on message boards for my IU basketball info. I know that message board are a very small sample of the over all fans. What is it like around the state. If I had to guess, I would say 60% support the tan. Is that too high? Low? How much support does Glass have? How about the big money donors? Do they have Creans back?
Well he has 211 and counting replies to this thread what does that tell you about his support. You hort you.

It IS about the W's and L's, which is directly related to his style of play.

A coach once told me "There isn't only one right way to play basketball". I favor the system that gets you the most consistent results. Crean - with a system that focuses on offense to the detriment of the defensive end - has shown repeatedly over his head coaching career what results he'll likely produce.

It is what it is.

Well, the way his recruiting is trending downward, we will continue to get worse. He won't last much longer at IU.

Reactions: jaypay23
Here are Crean's eight seasons:

2008-09 / 6-25 / 11th B1G / Missed Tourney
2009-10 / 10-21 / 9th B1G / Missed Tourney
2010-11 / 12-20 / 11th B1G / Missed Tourney
2011-12 / 27-9 / 5th B1G / Sweet 16
2012-13 / 29-7 / 1st B1G / Sweet 16
2013-14 / 17-15 / 8th B1G / Missed Tourney
2014-15 / 20-14 / 7th B1G / Second Rnd
2015-16 / 27-8 / 1st B1G / Sweet 16

If it was just about the W's and L's then I think he deserves this season without criticism, and maybe next barring a desaster. That's why I am suggesting it's more about belief in him and his philosophy.

I have tried to support him and can no longer. The product he claims is basketball is just awful. Imagine what it will be in the next few years with the talent level drops. Ouch. IU needs consistency, not some clapping spaz on the sidelines
I have also tried and you couldn't have said it better!!!

About 60 of those wins are against Houston Baptist. He has a decent win percentage after the first three years because of his shitty schedule. Winning matters in March and he fails miserably.

I disagree. Crean has won a LOT of big games vs top opponents. He has definitely not consistently won game to game but his biggest issue is merely not knowing what team you're going to get. His schedules include a lot of bottom 200+ opponents but you can compare our top opponents with anyone. So I don't see his record changing much by replacing those schlubs with top 150-200 opponents but his RPI sure would improve drastically. Which is why a lot of people don't understand the logic behind his scheduling.

But lets not look back and act like Crean hasn't won big games for IU. Everyone knows his teams can compete in any game......but they seem to also be able to not compete in pretty much any game.

Reactions: biggio7
I disagree. Crean has won a LOT of big games vs top opponents. He has definitely not consistently won game to game but his biggest issue is merely not knowing what team you're going to get. His schedules include a lot of bottom 200+ opponents but you can compare our top opponents with anyone. So I don't see his record changing much by replacing those schlubs with top 150-200 opponents but his RPI sure would improve drastically. Which is why a lot of people don't understand the logic behind his scheduling.

But lets not look back and act like Crean hasn't won big games for IU. Everyone knows his teams can compete in any game......but they seem to also be able to not compete in pretty much any game.
Agree but there is something wrong with a coach's system when a certain style can beat you even when you have superior talent. Crean is 2-16 against Wisconsin and while he has not always had better talent (I believe this year is a toss up) please remember Victor and Cody and the boys were beat in Bloomington and Indianapolis despite being from a talent prospective superior. Even through he has fared better against Butler IU gets "superior" recruits" and yet Butler wins more than they should.

Agree but there is something wrong with a coach's system when a certain style can beat you even when you have superior talent. Crean is 2-16 against Wisconsin and while he has not always had better talent (I believe this year is a toss up) please remember Victor and Cody and the boys were beat in Bloomington and Indianapolis despite being from a talent prospective superior. Even through he has fared better against Butler IU gets "superior" recruits" and yet Butler wins more than they should.

Defense tends to allow for a more predictable outcome which I think IU fans are now showing they enjoy more. To this point this year, IU has been chaotic at times and my hope is that its wrangled in. I've seen Crean teams eliminate mistakes as the season goes on but without a decent defense, those mistakes stick out like sore thumb.

If our positive is offense and we are giving away possessions, it would be no different than a good defensive team giving up a large FT advantage to the other team. That tends to hurt them. One could even say, if you're turnover prone then how good of an offense are you truly? I think once the team discovers how much they need to value each possession they could do better but so far it's not been good since UNC. Essentially, we are just a good shooting team. With our rebounding capabilities, it takes being atrocious at defense and turning over the ball like we do on offense to have the results we've been providing.

Here are Crean's eight seasons:

2008-09 / 6-25 / 11th B1G / Missed Tourney
2009-10 / 10-21 / 9th B1G / Missed Tourney
2010-11 / 12-20 / 11th B1G / Missed Tourney
2011-12 / 27-9 / 5th B1G / Sweet 16
2012-13 / 29-7 / 1st B1G / Sweet 16
2013-14 / 17-15 / 8th B1G / Missed Tourney
2014-15 / 20-14 / 7th B1G / Second Rnd
2015-16 / 27-8 / 1st B1G / Sweet 16

If it was just about the W's and L's then I think he deserves this season without criticism, and maybe next barring a desaster. That's why I am suggesting it's more about belief in him and his philosophy.

You just posted the stats of a Coach who is winning 56% of his games overall and 43% of his games in Big Ten play and claim he shouldn't be criticized? The stats you provided are the exact reason people want him fired. Even If you throw out Creans's first 3 seasons his winning percentage in the Big Ten is 61%. Mike Davis's Big Ten winning percentage was 57%. Crean is Mike Davis 2.0.

Last edited:
Has nothing to do with giving up on the team. I give up on Crean. Have done so for some time. This years just another example of why.
I meant giving up on their chance to meet out expectations. This is still a team with enough talent to do well. Unfortunately, they will need a favorable seed to advance to the Elite 8 and beyond. The gamble of a weak schedule didn't pay off when we lost to FW and Nebraska at home. Losing to Butler and UL was only bad because we needed them to offset those 300+ teams.

We can recover by doing things difficult for us to do. Win at Wisconsin and steal a win on the road against another one of the top 3 teams in the conference while protecting home court.

You just posted the stats of a Coach who is winning 56% of his games overall and 43% of his games in Big Ten play and claim he shouldn't be criticized? The stats you provided are the exact reason people want him fired. Even If you throw out Creans's first 3 seasons his winning percentage in the Big Ten is 61%. Mike Davis's Big Ten winning percentage was 57%. Crean is Mike Davis 2.0.

If that's how the season finishes then I agree that he's failed. Most thought this year would/should be another 14+ win year in the B1G which would put him around 66% winning percentage and growing over that span. So far, not so good.

Defense tends to allow for a more predictable outcome which I think IU fans are now showing they enjoy more. To this point this year, IU has been chaotic at times and my hope is that its wrangled in. I've seen Crean teams eliminate mistakes as the season goes on but without a decent defense, those mistakes stick out like sore thumb.

If our positive is offense and we are giving away possessions, it would be no different than a good defensive team giving up a large FT advantage to the other team. That tends to hurt them. One could even say, if you're turnover prone then how good of an offense are you truly? I think once the team discovers how much they need to value each possession they could do better but so far it's not been good since UNC. Essentially, we are just a good shooting team. With our rebounding capabilities, it takes being atrocious at defense and turning over the ball like we do on offense to have the results we've been providing.
Which Crean teams have eliminated mistakes as the season has gone on?

Reactions: bailey777
What percentage are you looking for? Izzo is 68.7% before the year.

That's 8 percentage points higher, a fair amount. Plus, Izzo's teams sometimes underperform during the regular season, only to make up for it in March. Can you say the same about Crean's teams?

s
I'm asking because I'm too lazy to do the research for comparisons. If you are coming from the perspective that he is going to win a national title then the numbers and key wins are probably enough to keep giving him seasons. My perspective is that he won't get it done, so every year is just wasted time.

As a fan of another BIG program, I think the above comment in bold is pretty ridiculous considering IU won the conference title last season and advanced to the S16. If you're not happy with these results, you will never be happy unless Crean wins the national title every year. Believe it or not, that's not going to happen.
10/10. Pretty sad that a conference rival has to come on the to be the voice of reason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT