ADVERTISEMENT

Does Crean have any supporters left?

Jan 28, 2015
I live out of state and rely on message boards for my IU basketball info. I know that message board are a very small sample of the over all fans. What is it like around the state. If I had to guess, I would say 60% support the tan. Is that too high? Low? How much support does Glass have? How about the big money donors? Do they have Creans back?

He has several supporters on here who think he is great. One lives in a pinnapple under the sea. They will tell you that you are not a fan if you do not 100% support crean. Nobody I know still supports him but scott will tell you the naysayers are a small minority. So in scotts world 90% still support crean.

I have tried to support him and can no longer. The product he claims is basketball is just awful. Imagine what it will be in the next few years with the talent level drops. Ouch. IU needs consistency, not some clapping spaz on the sidelines

I live out of state and rely on message boards for my IU basketball info. I know that message board are a very small sample of the over all fans. What is it like around the state. If I had to guess, I would say 60% support the tan. Is that too high? Low? How much support does Glass have? How about the big money donors? Do they have Creans back?
Even my family, which have defended him tooth and nail for the last several years texted me during the game telling me I was/am right. Looking at next year's recruiting class, or more accurately lack thereof, the program is in bad shape and there are some very obvious internal issues with the team. There's more than enough talent on this team to compete st a high level. Crean will never have enough talent to overcome how poor of a coach he is and that talent will absolutely not be on the team next year. In short, as bad as things look right now, they'll be markedly worse next year.

I have tried to support him and can no longer. The product he claims is basketball is just awful. Imagine what it will be in the next few years with the talent level drops. Ouch. IU needs consistency, not some clapping spaz on the sidelines
Come on, if he had a few final fours many here would care less how much he clapped on the sideline and would not be calling him a "spaz." So, IMHO, those two "comments" have nothing to do with whether or not CTC should be coaching IU.

Even my family, which have defended him tooth and nail for the last several years texted me during the game telling me I was/am right. Looking at next year's recruiting class, or more accurately lack thereof, the program is in bad shape and there are some very obvious internal issues with the team. There's more than enough talent on this team to compete st a high level. Crean will never have enough talent to overcome how poor of a coach he is and that talent will absolutely not be on the team next year. In short, as bad as things look right now, they'll be markedly worse next year.
How were you right because you have been on here saying how great this years team is. When people question your sincerity because you have been critical before you said you have changed your mind about Crean. I told people the only reason you came out and made those comments was just to set Crean up for failure.

Reactions: Lucy01
How were you right because you have been on here saying how great this years team is. When people question your sincerity because you have been critical before you said you have changed your mind about Crean. I told people the only reason you came out and made those comments was just to set Crean up for failure.
You should stop posting here.

Come on, if he had a few final fours many here would care less how much he clapped on the sideline and would not be calling him a "spaz." So, IMHO, those two "comments" have nothing to do with whether or not CTC should be coaching IU.
I agree winning allows you to be a little weird. I apologize, no need for the spaz comments.

He has several supporters on here who think he is great. One lives in a pinnapple under the sea. They will tell you that you are not a fan if you do not 100% support crean. Nobody I know still supports him but scott will tell you the naysayers are a small minority. So in scotts world 90% still support crean.

Wow, hardly recognized you. I'm so used to you saying the same thing over again and again, "Glass will never fire Crean", "Crean is here to stay", etc.

And stop acting like you know anyone.

I live in southern IN and graduated from IU. I probably know well over 100 IU fans. I can think of 2 who support him. I'd say the high number for support would be 10% and that's high.

As a fan of another BIG program, I think the above comment in bold is pretty ridiculous considering IU won the conference title last season and advanced to the S16. If you're not happy with these results, you will never be happy unless Crean wins the national title every year. Believe it or not, that's not going to happen.

Unpopular opinion here: I think he's reached his peak, but I don't think he's been a terrible coach. I just think, with him having built the program back to a consistently-ranked program, there's a good chance IU could do better by now (when I'd argue they really couldn't have for a long time after the Sampson disaster).

All Purdue fans hope he stays at iu. In fact I would bet most of the BIG actually love the guy.

Crean could theoretically be down to one supporter as long as it's Glass and he's still the AD. There could very well be other ways to get rid of a coach, but I've never really looked into it.

Or maybe fans without a dog in the fight tend to look at the situation much more objectively.

Depends on what your objective is.

You said this:

As a fan of another BIG program, I think the above comment in bold is pretty ridiculous considering IU won the conference title last season and advanced to the S16. If you're not happy with these results, you will never be happy unless Crean wins the national title every year. Believe it or not, that's not going to happen.

Two things:

1) Not sure if you root for Purdue, Illinois or Iowa, but fans of this program - knowing the resources available here - have higher expectations. Winning a RS title and a Sweet 16 should be close to the norm, not some celebrated achievement after consecutive B1G finishes of 8th and 7th.

2) No one expects to win a National Championship ever year. But considering the history of the program, the instate recruits available, et al . . . there is no reason why this program ought to not have a team able to compete for a championship on a regular basis. Crean has had ONE team like that (2013) since he's been here - and it flamed out badly.

Maybe certain fans don't want things to go back to the way they once were. Could it be that?

Southern Indiana IU grad here - near Evansville. The program still has lots of support, but no one I know thinks Crean is a great coach. Expectations are not what they were long ago and I fear apathy has set in somewhat. It said a lot to me last season after UNC throttled us in the NCAAs and I heard a lot of IU fans say, "Well, at least we beat UK."

Depends on what your objective is.

You said this:

Two things:

1) Not sure if you root for Purdue, Illinois or Iowa, but fans of this program - knowing the resources available here - have higher expectations. Winning a RS title and a Sweet 16 should be close to the norm, not some celebrated achievement after consecutive B1G finishes of 8th and 7th.

2) No one expects to win a National Championship ever year. But considering the history of the program, the instate recruits available, et al . . . there is no reason why this program ought to not have a team able to compete for a championship on a regular basis. Crean has had ONE team like that (2013) since he's been here - and it flamed out badly.

Maybe certain fans don't want things to go back to the way they once were. Could it be that?

Simple. You're a genius, Scott and you should really be a detective. It got tiring arguing with idiots on here. Congrats on cracking the code. You can go back to working on your brilliant ideas regarding season ticket holders. lmao

Crean could theoretically be down to one supporter as long as it's Glass and he's still the AD. There could very well be other ways to get rid of a coach, but I've never really looked into it.
Glass is wih him til the end. He loves him.

The above in bold tells me everything I need to know about your post from the outset.
1) Your program is a lesser basketball program than IU. Period. Sweet 16s might be ok for you, but this is IU. There's no more tradition rich basketball school in the B1G. And yes, that goes WAY beyond Knight.
2) If I were you, I'd want IU to keep that clown as long as possible. The state of Indiana produces more high level basketball talent than just about any other place on earth (per capita). It's an amazing resource and one that Crean has done abysmally with, especially over the last few years and looking towards next season.
I (and the growing number of fans that are dissatisfied with Crean) don't expect NCs every year. What I DO expect is scheduling that doesn't rank among the worst of any school in a power conference, much less a basketball blueblood. I expect to not rank amongst the worst in TOs in Div 1. I expect to defend at a consistently high level every game and for that to be a point of emphasis. I expect to recruit the state successfully each and every year. Most importantly, I expect the coach to be able to develop every position and play multiple styles of play. Crean has never been able to develop and/or properly utilize post players, nor is he able to adjust his style of play to win against teams that grind it out. If you don't understand this and just want to take things to an extreme with the NC talk, then get off the board because you're not intelligent enough to have this discussion. TIA

And if ifs were fifths, we'd all be drunk. Who cares? RMK won A LOT over 20+ years and it bought him a LOT of leeway. What is your point? Good grief, you're STILL defending Crean? Seriously?

Within my circle of acquaintences in northern Indiana and other folks whom I've exchanged thoughts on IUBB, I estimate Crean's approval rating is less than 10%. It has been that way for a couple years.

As a fan of another Big Ten program I can see why you would think this way. The last thing you want is for Indiana to remove Tom Crean as coach and actually bring in a competent one who could have sustained success.

The above in bold tells me everything I need to know about your post from the outset.
1) Your program is a lesser basketball program than IU. Period. Sweet 16s might be ok for you, but this is IU. There's no more tradition rich basketball school in the B1G. And yes, that goes WAY beyond Knight.
2) If I were you, I'd want IU to keep that clown as long as possible. The state of Indiana produces more high level basketball talent than just about any other place on earth (per capita). It's an amazing resource and one that Crean has done abysmally with, especially over the last few years and looking towards next season.
I (and the growing number of fans that are dissatisfied with Crean) don't expect NCs every year. What I DO expect is scheduling that doesn't rank among the worst of any school in a power conference, much less a basketball blueblood. I expect to not rank amongst the worst in TOs in Div 1. I expect to defend at a consistently high level every game and for that to be a point of emphasis. I expect to recruit the state successfully each and every year. Most importantly, I expect the coach to be able to develop every position and play multiple styles of play. Crean has never been able to develop and/or properly utilize post players, nor is he able to adjust his style of play to win against teams that grind it out. If you don't understand this and just want to take things to an extreme with the NC talk, then get off the board because you're not intelligent enough to have this discussion. TIA
Great post

I think Crean's post-game press conferences hurt him every game. People are looking explanations they can understand - and that starts with Xs and Os. Instead he sounds like a yoga instructor talking about energy levels and mind set. And everything that is wrong he says he can fix. But again he provides no solutions.

He has been successful in implementing positionless basketball because IU now plays without a point guard or center.

If I could, it would already be over and done with. Actually, it would've never started

How do you know you can't? You originally said you hadn't even looked into it. You obviously feel very strong about this, so why wouldn't you at least look into it?

In my group of friends (on the north side of Indy) and alums less than 20% support him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT