ADVERTISEMENT

What is the graduation rate for Tom Allen's quarterbacks?

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
Edit: I blurred the distinction between graduation and eligibility. Tom Allen and his staff have done a great job developing student athletes.

Peyton Ramsey? Transferred out.

Michael Penix? Transferred out

Jack Tuttle? Transferred out

Connor Bazelac? Transferred out.

The Hoosiers got Babe Laufenberg because he was sitting on the bench behind John Elway. There are no John Elways on the Hoosier roster that is causing quarterbacks to leave.

Is there another coach in the country who has a worse reputation than Tom Allen for developing quarterbacks? Could that be the reason not a single quarterback in the country appears to be showing interest in transferring to Indiana? CTA's other star quarterback recruit is in the wide receiver room.

Add the fact that there's probably at least a 50% chance that neither Tom Allen nor Walt Bell will be around next season and you can pretty much rule out any transfers with more than one season of eligibility.

I would not rule out seeing a wishbone offense before the end of next season.

Last edited:
For the record:
Penix, Ramsey and Tuttle all graduated from Indiana and spent 4 years on the roster.
But talking more to them not finishing out their careers at IU, between Penix and Ramsey you HAD to choose one. One was always going to leave as they were both very solid to excellent P5 QBs and only one guy can be THE guy. I will not hold the Ramsey transfer against the staff at all. Penix was unfortunate but I do think it was in his best interest to move on (and that has nothing to do with development of QBs, as he was excellent outside of 2021 when he was healthy).

Tuttle had infinite opportunities to take the starting job and never could, as such he transferred to be a backup QB. I know its easy to always love the backup when the starter is not performing well but the Jack Tuttle experience is best summed up to me in his early slide against PSU when he had scrambled for what looked to be an easy first down. Had he dove forward it would've been a first down, but he did not have the situational awareness to realize where he was at on the field.

Lagow's last year was Allen's 1st.

Then Ramsey, then Penix, then Baze. Baze was the only one who wasn't a multi-year starter.

I'm sure CTA does have a bad reputation for developing QBs. But he's a defensive coach so I wouldn't expect him to otherwise. If Sheridan had left after 2020 he'd have a reputation for further making Penix a better QB than Deboer had based only on results. I think that would be a ludicrous conclusion, and time has bore that out, but it would've been the conclusion many made.

Lagow's last year was Allen's 1st.

Then Ramsey, then Penix, then Baze. Baze was the only one who wasn't a multi-year starter.

I'm sure CTA does have a bad reputation for developing QBs. But he's a defensive coach so I wouldn't expect him to otherwise. If Sheridan had left after 2020 he'd have a reputation for further making Penix a better QB than Deboer had based only on results. I think that would be a ludicrous conclusion, and time has bore that out, but it would've been the conclusion many made.
I pointed out what Sheridan did to QBs as the QB coach and it wasn't all good. He never had Ramsey or Penix over 60% yet DeBoer had them at near 70% including fewer INTs. I think DeBoer hiring Sheridan as TE coach shows what he thought about Sheridan after seeing him run the offense at IU.

Is there another coach in the country who has a worse reputation than Tom Allen for developing quarterbacks? Could that be the reason not a single quarterback in the country appears to be showing interest in transferring to Indiana? CTA's other star quarterback recruit is in the wide receiver room.
So…obviously you’re about 4 mos behind here so bear with me…I have some big news…we have a player that transferred in from Tennessee…his brother played basketball here…you should really look into it.

My bad for aquivocating eligibility with graduation. There is no doubt that CTA has done an outstanding job with student development. In addition anything regarding individual game suspensions has been below the radar or non-existent. I should have put more thought into my post. My apologies.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT