ADVERTISEMENT

Coy Cronk was the first red flag about Tom Allen.

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
A four-year starter that broke his ankle in the second game of the year against UConn. Not only was he the starter at left tackle but he was the team captain. Hiller was the offensive line coach and it was rumored that if Cronk came back for a fifth year he might not even start because of freshman Matthew Bedford

So our team captain transferred to Iowa for his last year of eligibility. Coy Cronk is now in the NFL. Matthew Bedford has now completed a meaningless Indiana career. When your team captain transfers to another team in the Big ten for his last season of eligibility to me it said that coaching and LEO was a bunch of shit.

Just my opinion but it's hard to rationalize LEO when players are entering the portal like it's a jailbreak. Everything about Tom Allen reminds me of Jim and Tammy Bakker.

Tom Allen backed a Brinks truck up to the athletic department, all-in probably got paid about 50 million dollars and left the football program in shambles. And people are writing today that they want to thank him for all he's done. What a bunch of suckers. I have kept my mouth shut for years about this but now it's finally over. And yes I was drinking the Kool-Aid until he replaced the Big 10 logo with LEO for the bowl game.

LEO

Last edited:
Coy leaving was certainly strange. Of course there were always those rumors that he was supposed to be a Boilermaker anyway, who knows.

Like any mantra, they play awfully well when times are good, but it's the opposite when the sledding gets tough. Just the way it is...

And you have had a problem with LEO from the start.
So what, let it go, Allen has been fired and this post is just piling on.
All the while, Allen had a classy post on X.
My problem with LEO was not from the start. I was jumping up and down with enthusiasm when the players came off the field in that game against Wisconsin during the covid season.

And the irony was that I did not want Tom Allen fired after this season. I thought it was much better to fire him after next season and I think that this season coming up is going to be similar to Bill Mallory's 0-11 first year.

Last edited:
My problem with LEO was not from the start. I was jumping up and down when the players came off the field and that game against Wisconsin during the covid season.

And they already was that I did not want Tom Allen fired after this season. I thought it was much better to fire him after next season and I think that this season coming up is going to be similar to Bill Mallory's 0-11 first year.
If there’s any reason to think it won’t be like Mal’s inaugural, it’s that the transfer portal era can make big things happen quickly, think MSU two years ago with a top 10 (or 15) finish.

A four-year starter that broke his ankle in the second game of the year against UConn. Not only was he the starter at left tackle but he was the team captain. Hiller was the offensive line coach and it was rumored that if Cronk came back for a fifth year he might not even start because of freshman Matthew Bedford

So our team captain transferred to Iowa for his last year of eligibility. Coy Cronk is now in the NFL. Matthew Bedford has now completed a meaningless Indiana career. When your team captain transfers to another team in the Big ten for his last season of eligibility to me it said that coaching and LEO was a bunch of shit.

Just my opinion but it's hard to rationalize LEO when players are entering the portal like it's a jailbreak. Everything about Tom Allen reminds me of Jim and Tammy Bakker.

Tom Allen backed a Brinks truck up to the athletic department, all-in probably got paid about 50 million dollars and left the football program in shambles. And people are writing today that they want to thank him for all he's done. What a bunch of suckers. I have kept my mouth shut for years about this but now it's finally over. And yes I was drinking the Kool-Aid until he replaced the Big 10 logo with LEO for the bowl game.

LEO
CTA has several players that are sticking up for him on Twitter. I think an awful lot of players loved and respected him.

Like others, I was all in on LEO in 2019/2020. But unfortunately, because of the Transfer Portal, LEO does not work in today's world. From a player perspective, if we LEO, I work hard as a Freshman and Sophomore and I am hopeful that my turn will come. I know that the program might be recruiting the best freshman in the country to compete for my position. But assuming that doesn't happen, when the guy ahead of me graduates, and it appears to be my time........you go get a Transfer to start in my position. That player was loyal to the program, but he will perceive the program as not being loyal to him.

That is just the way college football is today. LEO is dated.....versions of it were used for decades. Team First. Build Culture. But when nearly every kid is a free agent after each season, you can't focus primarily on culture to build a team.

LEO
Let it go. Find something else to bitch and moan about because you seem to enjoy that above all else. He’s gone. Move on.

I think you're right, but it's also not surprising. There's absolutely no benefit for any player to say anything but nice things about Tom Allen at this point, especially those who are considering a transfer.
They could also say nothing. But haven’t.

LEO
The Cronk situation bothered Me for some of the reasons you stated, but also for this reason. He had a serious injury th previous year and rehabbed and recovered under the IU Medical and training staff, Why would You risk going somewhere else when You don't know their training and Rehab programs or people, As I recall. Cronk wasn;t a starter at Iowa and didn't see significant playing time. Why would You leave a program where You were assured to start and a team Captain for that uncertainty?

A second turning point for Me was the Bowl Game against Mississippi. If I remember the numbers correctly, Whop Phylor caught a Bowl Record 17 passes for a measly 85 Yards. That told Me that there were severe problems with the design of the Offense that didn't appear to be correctable.

LEO
Cronk didn't even start at Iowa.

LEO
I believe just last week Cronk was released from some team's practice squad.

Reactions: vesuvius13
The Cronk situation bothered Me for some of the reasons you stated, but also for this reason. He had a serious injury th previous year and rehabbed and recovered under the IU Medical and training staff, Why would You risk going somewhere else when You don't know their training and Rehab programs or people, As I recall. Cronk wasn;t a starter at Iowa and didn't see significant playing time. Why would You leave a program where You were assured to start and a team Captain for that uncertainty?

A second turning point for Me was the Bowl Game against Mississippi. If I remember the numbers correctly, Whop Phylor caught a Bowl Record 17 passes for a measly 85 Yards. That told Me that there were severe problems with the design of the Offense that didn't appear to be correctable.

Walking out of the stadium in Jacksonville to to snorts and jortles from orange overall-wearing hill people wasn’t fun either.

Only Allen could find a way to lose 13 points in under 5 minutes.

Walking out of the stadium in Jacksonville to to snorts and jortles from orange overall-wearing hill people wasn’t fun either.

Only Allen could find a way to lose 13 points in under 5 minutes.

That sucked, but at the time, I kinda felt like we finally had a chance. Went toe to toe with a legit football school, and (thought we had) both Ramsey and Penix coming back.

2020 was the most "Indiana Football" season possible....best season since the 60's, and no one there to see it. Fans couldn't even enjoy it.

LEO
Get counseling.

Move on? I would like to move back to Wilson, warts and all.
Why, did you bar crawl with Wilson as I can't think of any other reason to overlook his short comings. Even recruiting suffered under Wilson [QBs weren't coming to IU, Ramsey was a last minute recruit when others fell through] and the writing was on the wall but you choose to ignore it..

LEO
Some people are easily fooled.

Reactions: vesuvius13

LEO
Coy was here because of Greg Frye, not Hiller. Hiller couldn’t develope anything

In 2019 the players had all been recruited by another head coach and the assistant head coaches initially had came here to work for a different head coach. The program seemed to slide farther into the abyss as the time went on and those coaches left for greener pastures.
OK. It’s good to know that we have an excuse for any success that Tom Allen had while he was here even though none of the seven or eight coaches prior to him, had success at that level.

LEO
It wasn’t CTC’s fault the job was offered to him. It wasn’t his fault his big buyout contract was presented to him…

Put the blame where it belongs. Just turn 180 degrees from where everyone is pointing and you will see who is to blame.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Wasn't Tuttle a captain too who announced his transfer before the season was even over?

To me it was a combination of his finding ways to lose games and his hiring and keeping of obviously poor assistant coaches was what did him in. All signs of inexperience particularly at a Big Ten level job. He seemed to be able to bring in decent enough recruits for IU, everyone liked him personally and he did a lot of good behind the scenes but poor game coaching in key situations and not surrounding himself with quality assistants showed in the W/L columns.

Two seasons that were better than any we’ve had in the 30 years prior. So yes.
If he was all you claim he was the success would have continued. He would have had excellent coaches beating down the doors to coach here. Instead this last season we wind up with a failed offensive coordinator who didn't last the totality of his initial season. Under the previous rules it took a few years to build a team. After it was built it took a few years to blow it up. That is exactly what we seen with Allen. I personally liked Allen and had high hopes he would succeed. I'm getting old and there is a lot fewer seasons in front of me than there is behind me .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT