ADVERTISEMENT

Thanks Tom Allen

bang63

Junior
Gold Member
Nov 22, 2011
I don’t think anyone is more of an antagonist of Allen than me. From day 1 I’ve opposed him. I don’t like his actions on the sidelines, his decisions or his press conferences.
I do respect his faith and the manner in which he handled the players. I give him credit for keeping the team from quitting and for the most part having a positive attitude. I also appreciate that he kept the program out of embarrassing scandals.
Good luck in the future Coach Tom Allen.

He had two of the very best IU seasons ever. For that alone, he deserves some praise from us. Definitely wanted him to be the long term answer and I personally didn't call for his head until losing to MSU...

this kinda sucks because CTA is a great dude, I remember he was a BD assistant when I was in high school and he was at one of my bishop-Dullighan football camps at Franklin College. I got a good rating from him and other coaches that camp 3 outa 5 stars. I remember I had like 10 ints in that camp and dominated 7- on 7s. That said, His time ran too long at IU! Wish him the best of luck!

I don’t think anyone is more of an antagonist of Allen than me. From day 1 I’ve opposed him. I don’t like his actions on the sidelines, his decisions or his press conferences.
I do respect his faith and the manner in which he handled the players. I give him credit for keeping the team from quitting and for the most part having a positive attitude. I also appreciate that he kept the program out of embarrassing scandals.
It's not his fault. He should never have been put in this position in the first place. I'll equipped for the job. In way over his head.

I don’t begrudge him for taking the IU job, similar to Mike Davis, but once he did he’s accountable for results. He got the chance of a lifetime, tried his best, and after 7 seasons he’s being relieved. He’s made generational wealth and is young enough that he can still coach again if he wants to. Thanks Coach Allen and all the best to you.

I'm thankful for 2019 and 2020, two of the best years in the history of Indiana football. The win over Penn State, when the country was in the depths of the pandemic and with all the associated misery that came from that, was a bright spot for me in what was otherwise a very dark year. I was at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa for the Outback Bowl in January 2021. It was a difficult loss to Ole Miss that almost certainly would have been a win with Penix - - or even a healthy Tuttle - - leading the way. Unfortunately, it's been a struggle ever since.

College coaching is a difficult business, and a nomadic occupation. These guys know what they're signing up for when they decide to make coaching a career. That said, this has to be an enormously difficult day for Coach Allen even though I'm sure he saw it coming. I doubt there's a person alive who wanted IU Football to experience sustained success more than he did.

Football is a bottom line business. It's all about wins and what have you done for me lately, and there wasn't anything to show for the last three seasons. Recruiting Big Ten talent was almost certainly going to be a near-impossible task coming off a third straight losing season. A change was clearly necessary.

Now the good stuff. I don't know that a finer man has ever patrolled the Indiana sideline at Memorial Stadium. While the LEO mantra was mocked by some, I thought it was an excellent message that resonated beyond football. In a world that's spinning out of control with greed, selfishness and incivility, Tom Allen reminded us of what's really important. He's a good person and I wish him the best.

A good man doesn’t throw his staff and players under the bus after losses. I won’t miss Tom Crean’s twin brother at all.

• Haha
Reactions: GolfHacker1
LEO became a running joke in college football because it was clear the mantra didn’t actually produce a selfless, hard working team.

• Haha
Reactions: GolfHacker1
LEO became a running joke in college football because it was clear the mantra didn’t actually produce a selfless, hard working team.
The forgotten commandment: Thou shalt not call a spade a spade.

I don’t begrudge him for taking the IU job, similar to Mike Davis, but once he did he’s accountable for results. He got the chance of a lifetime, tried his best, and after 7 seasons he’s being relieved. He’s made generational wealth and is young enough that he can still coach again if he wants to. Thanks Coach Allen and all the best to you.
Where else but America can you fail miserably and walk away with millions. Land of opportunity indeed.

A good man doesn’t throw his staff and players under the bus after losses. I won’t miss Tom Crean’s twin brother at all.
I HATE this reply every time I see it.

There is nothing wrong with being honest in public when a coach or player make mistakes or is not playing well.

Hell, when I don't hear a coach "throw them under the bus" I worry that the coach can't see whats wrong.

Buck up - this is big boy football.

Reactions: Vern Pain
I HATE this reply every time I see it.

There is nothing wrong with being honest in public when a coach or player make mistakes or is not playing well.

Hell, when I don't hear a coach "throw them under the bus" I worry that the coach can't see whats wrong.

Buck up - this is big boy football.
I agree with you but it should be kept in house

Good man.

Good defensive assistant.

Came here, took (comparatively) lesser defense talent, implemented the 4-2-5, and fixed it quick.

Had a couple of (comparatively) better recruiting classes as a HC. That didn't last.

But ... (there is ALWAYS a but) ... in hindsight, his heart did him in. Gave Deboer his chance and gave Sheridan his chance, .... and lost Penix.

Couldn't fire guys until way too late - ripped his soul apart to give up on people. Always saw the best in them.

Hired based on relationships and "good souls" over football fundamentals.

Hope he learned that lesson.

Good people get run over these days. Nice guys still finish last.

• Sad
Reactions: td75
I don’t think other programs had “laugh at LEO@ meetings.

Some of the crap being posted here is simply ridiculous.

Reactions: Baller23Boogie
I don’t think other programs had “laugh at LEO@ meetings.

Some of the crap being posted here is simply ridiculous.

Thank you challenging this ridiculous assertion. "A running joke in college football" ... please ... as if you know the world of college football!?!

The truth appears to be quite the opposite. After Coach Allen's success in 2019 and 2020, I noticed several programs appearing to adopt a more wholistic approach to student-athletes and incorporating a variation of the LEO mantra.

One of the many things I respect about Coach Allen is that he was invested in the student-athletes as men as well as football players. He clearly modeled LEO throughout his tenure. I thank him for his example, for shaping the lives of young men for the better, and those two magical football seasons!

Thank you challenging this ridiculous assertion. "A running joke in college football" ... please ... as if you know the world of college football!?!

The truth appears to be quite the opposite. After Coach Allen's success in 2019 and 2020, I noticed several programs appearing to adopt a more wholistic approach to student-athletes and incorporating a variation of the LEO mantra.

One of the many things I respect about Coach Allen is that he was invested in the student-athletes as men as well as football players. He clearly modeled LEO throughout his tenure. I thank him for his example, for shaping the lives of young men for the better, and those two magical football seasons!
Most programs have some sort of “True North” theme and LEO was one of the more notable versions. “Row the Boat” is the one that seems lame and I saw mocked by opposing players on the field”

A very good man and the second winningest coach in IU history (modern era). Took them to the second and 3rd most impressive bowls. Some posters here are confusing the Cream and Crimson with the Crimson Tide. Hopefully the next coach will have better luck. College football is in a very transitional state.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT