ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome JeJuan Sparks!! Commit #10

Taken from the “Study Technology” section of the school website: “Clearwater Academy is part of an international network of schools licensed to utilize Study Technology developed by author and humanitarian L. Ron Hubbard”

Says nothing about anyone’s individual intelligence or ability to play football, but just struck me as odd

Reactions: vesuvius13
Taken from the “Study Technology” section of the school website: “Clearwater Academy is part of an international network of schools licensed to utilize Study Technology developed by author and humanitarian L. Ron Hubbard”

Says nothing about anyone’s individual intelligence or ability to play football, but just struck me as odd
It is more than odd. It is a red flag waving wildly.

Reactions: mk23

Oh my.....

Anyone whose vacationed in Clearwater has likely seen the Scientology “World Spiritual Headquarters” there. They’ve basically taken over downtown. I’m there every year with my family.

Anyways, best of luck to all of these kids, I hope they all have great careers in Bloomington. Just struck me as odd that we got 3 kids from the same school.

Trying to avoid being judgemental one way or the other, and by way of analogy, . . . as far as I can tell, pantheists, agnostics and atheists far outnumber Catholics at St. Mary's, Seizen, Sacred Heart and so forth in Tokyo. Families fork out the big bucks (much higher than the annual $11,000 cited in the newspaper article that 76-1 linked) to send their kids to these schools because of their records/reputations in terms of academic success. At the prep school level, price tends to be a pretty good indicator of academic rigor.

Trying to avoid being judgemental one way or the other, and by way of analogy, . . . as far as I can tell, pantheists, agnostics and atheists far outnumber Catholics at St. Mary's, Seizen, Sacred Heart and so forth in Tokyo. Families fork out the big bucks (much higher than the annual $11,000 cited in the newspaper article that 76-1 linked) to send their kids to these schools because of their records/reputations in terms of academic success. At the prep school level, price tends to be a pretty good indicator of academic rigor.

44% of their graduates go on to college. That is an incredibly low percentage for a private high school. Not to mention that the whole idea behind Scientology is bat shit crazy.

Didn't know the percentage, 82hoosier, and, to be honest, I have no idea what is average for private schools, although I would guess it's much higher. I trust you when you say it is. Anyway, based on the interviews of his former and future teammates Nofoagatoto'a and Bonhomme (posted by Stu on June 12 and 14, respectively), they seem to have turned out okay.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Bo was would have easily been a 5-star. He was first team on both the 1993 USA Today and Parade Magazine All-American teams and he was the Atlanta Touchdown Club "Offensive Lineman of the Year". The Atlanta Touchdown Club awards only go out to the best-of-the-best and RARELY, if ever, are Indiana kids even considered for one. Florida, Notre Dame, Michigan, Stanford and just about every other major football power were after him. It's just IU's luck that he decided playing football wasn't something he wanted to do.

Didn't know the percentage, 82hoosier, and, to be honest, I have no idea what is average for private schools, although I would guess it's much higher. I trust you when you say it is. Anyway, based on the interviews of his former and future teammates Nofoagatoto'a and Bonhomme (posted by Stu on June 12 and 14, respectively), they seem to have turned out okay.

95% of private school graduates continue their education after high school.

Reactions: Tokyo Steve
95% of private school graduates continue their education after high school.

That 95% statistic includes technical and 2-year schools/programs. If just looking at attendance at 4-year schools (what the Clearwater stat refers too), its about 60% for private schools. While Clearwater's 44% is lower than that of private peers, its still higher than the national average of 38% for all schools

44% of their graduates go on to college. That is an incredibly low percentage for a private high school. Not to mention that the whole idea behind Scientology is bat shit crazy.

Article in the Tampa paper said the learning technology is from Hubbard but not religious based. Not sure if they teach the religion there. Wonder how it is much different than those bb prep schools.

I can appreciate the discussion on academics, however IU has the chance to add two more very capable DL from this same high school. It would be great if they snag both of these guys in my opinion. That would make an all Clearwater DL and then DK behind them.

At this point I’d imagine the coaches are waiting to hear from guys that were offered first like Craig from Culver and Moore out of St. Louis.

Wow! I'm surprised he can pass muster academically.

Reactions: trailrunner
Article in the Tampa paper said the learning technology is from Hubbard but not religious based. Not sure if they teach the religion there. Wonder how it is much different than those bb prep schools.
Scientology isn’t based on religion or science. And Ghostbusters is not a true story.

IMHO , Scientology is interested for purely future money streams. That is what they are about. They focus on stardom. It will be interesting to see where they go with this. I see them creating these schools in order to get their hooks into future professional class athletes and tapping into their celebrity and income streams. It very well may become the go to for athletes. They could sink so much cash into their development that those that stay traditional are at a disadvantage..... it’s about the money

It's very low level football competition, kids from a school like this are a crap shoot.

It's very low level football competition, kids from a school like this are a crap shoot.
That is exactly the thought I had in watching some of the videos. For a football heavy state, the crowds were like a middle school game around here. WTH??

You go to 2 of top schools in St. Louis and see same thing together they have 10 of the top 40 players in the state 6 top 800 nationally both are small private schools attendance not great.Also remember friends family and parents are not coming to games either from Canada.

Not the same thing, the schools in this league in the Tampa area is very low level football
You go to 2 of top schools in St. Louis and see same thing together they have 10 of the top 40 players in the state 6 top 800 nationally both are small private schools attendance not great.Also remember friends family and parents are not coming to games either from Canada.

Some of the posters need to do a little bit more homework. From An article in early November Clearwater international had one it’s first nine games by a score of 50 to 8. Five of those nine wins were against opponents who were going to make the playoffs. So these guys play real football.

But here’s the big thing. Total enrollment for pre-kindergarten through 12th grade is 226 students. That’s not an average of each grade. That is a total for nursery school kindergarten and 12 years of elementary school. No wonder the stands were empty at their games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT