ADVERTISEMENT

We played ok…

After squeakers in openers vs the likes of William & Mary in ‘02, Nichols State in ‘05, SIU in ‘15, @FIU in ‘16, I will take it. While not a Rembrandt or Picasso, this one was never much in doubt, like those mentioned above. D looked real good. Dominated at times. Would’ve liked more dominant performance upfront by the OL, but that gives them basically 2 weeks to work on things to get ready for UCLA. Hopefully there wasn’t a whole lot of the offensive playbook revealed today.

Finally, this isn’t a knock on ISU (or, PU who played them) just a fact. FIU is much better, much more talented than ISU, it’s not even close.

My initial reaction was to be underwhelmed, but the more I think about it, I agree with the consensus here. We looked fine, especially for the first game of the season. Everyone knows the key game this year is in week three. Win that one and we’re well on our way to a successful season. Lose it and we’re probably in for a long slog.

Reactions: red hornet
After squeakers in openers vs the likes of William & Mary in ‘02, Nichols State in ‘05, SIU in ‘15, @FIU in ‘16, I will take it. While not a Rembrandt or Picasso, this one was never much in doubt, like those mentioned above. D looked real good. Dominated at times. Would’ve liked more dominant performance upfront by the OL, but that gives them basically 2 weeks to work on things to get ready for UCLA. Hopefully there wasn’t a whole lot of the offensive playbook revealed today.

Finally, this isn’t a knock on ISU (or, PU who played them) just a fact. FIU is much better, much more talented than ISU, it’s not even close.
One is an FBS program and one is near the bottom of FCS. It’s really apples and oranges.

Cignetti was not particularly pleased … and clearly wanted a more dominant win.

We gashed in a late garbage time TD (It was pretty), and beat the spread.

What’s to like

Running back by committee with good looking RB.

Balanced offense

Hard to complain about a 133 QB rating with no picks.

Near shutout (and a 2nd half shutout).

Ponds is the real deal … 6 solos and the knock down without getting a PI

Welcome to Indiana, Coach Cignetti. Absolutely the worst fanbase of any P4 team out there. Most of the students quit at halftime. West stands were in a coma. Some of the socialites in the wine and cheese club that saunter in at kickoff and exit right before halftime have no understanding of basic football rules.

As far as the game itself, we looked crisp for all of 1 quarter on offense. Defense had one big letdown but played hard throughout. Thought Rourke looked pretty pedestrian most of the game. Running backs ran really, really hard. Our WRs didn’t do much although Cross and Horton played well. OL didn’t pass protect well. I think Cignetti believes that McCulley is half-assing it. Knows the kid has talent but lacks effort.
I don’t know what to make of the final score and not sure I take much away from it other than I agree with Cignetti that this team doesn’t know how to handle a lead….yet.
Look around the country. Oregon home opener against Idaho was a turd. Michigan State didn’t exactly light the world on fire. Northwestern struggled. UCLA won on a field goal with 56 seconds left. Michigan had a 6 point lead in the 4th with 10 minutes to play.
Only thing to do is learn and improve….as do our fans.
There are also some bitter grouchy old guys that complain about and blame fans that also know little about Football.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Cignetti was not particularly pleased … and clearly wanted a more dominant win.

We gashed in a late garbage time TD (It was pretty), and beat the spread.

What’s to like

Running back by committee with good looking RB.

Balanced offense

Hard to complain about a 133 QB rating with no picks.

Near shutout (and a 2nd half shutout).

Ponds is the real deal … 6 solos and the knock down without getting a PI
Some pretty impressive stats which I hadn't looked up. But they explain why I feel damn good about the gameplan for this game and the game management executing it. I don't need to witness heroics to know if the team achieved and positively accomplished the goals of the game. D really gives me some confidence and Cignetti provides the rest. BB mentoring the OL will be steadily improving. Not only will the pass protection get better but so will the run blocking. The 2 young guards are being elevated to 2nd grade this week in practice. The blade will get more honing next Saturday.

Last edited:
There are also some bitter grouchy old guys that complain about and blame fans that also know little about Football.
I stand by my statement: our crowds, largely our pathetic students, are not even FCS level in support. At the mid point in the first quarter, I looked at the student section and thought that it was a pretty good turnout and by the start of the 3rd quarter, it was but a thin section of loyal kids.
We even saw this during Woody and Miller games at AH. They bail. It is hands down the worst student section(s) in the conference. They should start chaining them to seats.
Some of the conversations that you overhear at games highlights how little some of the fanbase knows about even basic rules and concepts of the game itself. Even casual fans at most other schools can see when obvious penalties or flags are thrown, they anticipate what the penalty is. You hear complete confusion from our fans.

I thought it was a very satisfying win. Did anybody ever get the feeling they had any chance? During the game I mean not coming in. I sure never felt that. It was 'cruise to victory' from 3 minutes in.

If I feel like that, I'm pleased with the win. I don't care if we don't roll it up if its never in doubt. I'm glad coach got some fodder to use.

And FIU looks like they are going to be a good team and win a lot of Conf USA games.
FIU, you can't be in Miami, Fla and not have some football talent.

Would I have enjoyed seeing the scoreboard say 41-7 instead of 31-7? Sure.

Crazy stats from last year:
IU didn’t score 31+ in a game against an FBS team until 2 of the last 3 games of the year last season. (Illinois and PU)

Also, the lowest score we kept an FBS team to last year was 14. (Wisconsin).

Solid W. Mistakes to clean up. Considering how many transfers we have starting, they appear to have avoided the larger hiccups that typically come from a lack of familiarity.

I didn’t mean to imply that they were comparable to Indiana State.

My point is I feel the same after each win.

They beat ISU 41-7 and I remember posting at the time that it didn’t “feel” like the dominant blowout win the score suggested.

Today didn’t feel like the convincing win the score suggested it was. I’m not sure how to say better than it just didn’t “feel” great even though it was a game that never felt in jeopardy.
For the first 1.8 Quarters it did seem IU was dominating. 21-0 and then the team fog rolled in for the rest of the game. Last year the fog horn sounded before the coin toss each game. Am I convinced, of course not. I'll wait and see yet but there was a palpable sense of competence in the air.

I stand by my statement: our crowds, largely our pathetic students, are not even FCS level in support. At the mid point in the first quarter, I looked at the student section and thought that it was a pretty good turnout and by the start of the 3rd quarter, it was but a thin section of loyal kids.
We even saw this during Woody and Miller games at AH. They bail. It is hands down the worst student section(s) in the conference. They should start chaining them to seats.
Some of the conversations that you overhear at games highlights how little some of the fanbase knows about even basic rules and concepts of the game itself. Even casual fans at most other schools can see when obvious penalties or flags are thrown, they anticipate what the penalty is. You hear complete confusion from our fans.
Decades of bad football combined with a campus and area that offers so many options for things to do have created a culture of tailgating, parties, restaurants, bars, campus walks, brown county, lake monroe, nashville, etc etc. A morning tailgate then a half of footbal then off to live music at Hard truth is not a bad day for some. This isn't west laffy or others that are a shit hole surrounded by corn with little else to do.

Football is a social event at IU and will be until they team changes the culture.

Stop blaming fans for having choices. Instead compete.

Decades of bad football combined with a campus and area that offers so many options for things to do have created a culture of tailgating, parties, restaurants, bars, campus walks, brown county, lake monroe, nashville, etc etc. A morning tailgate then a half of footbal then off to live music at Hard truth is not a bad day for some. This isn't west laffy or others that are a shit hole surrounded by corn with little else to do.

Football is a social event at IU and will be until they team changes the culture.

I know you are a Purdue household with your daughter going there and I get much of that argument but……you don’t think that larger cities like Lexington and Madison offer as much if not more to do from the restaurant and cultural scene as Bloomington?
Bloomington is not some kind of utopia from an entertainment standpoint. There are countless schools in towns and cities big and small with just as much opportunity for distraction that don’t experience this phenomenon. Stop using that as an excuse.

All coach CIG can do is win. That's the only thing under his control.

Having choices sounds like an excuse for pretend football fans.

I've been on the Fans are Bad side of this argument for years but at this point I've been convinced and converted to the "only winning and winning Big will bring them in and keep them in" side of things...

Given today's shallow approach to pretty much all things by what appears to be about two thirds of society in general..., only by making the game "a happening" that can't be missed (even if they don't know why) will bring them in and keep them in these days... (in my opinion).

So Cignetti has an Easy button...: All he has to do is start laying 70+ on people while holding them scoreless a few times (and in doing so make this Team a work of art on the field that Must be seen) and the media hype machine will do the rest of the work for him...

Do that to UCLA and Nebraska (at their places) and they'll have to add an extra airstrip to the Bloomington airport for all the private aircraft coming in on Game Day...

*Wouldn't hurt to teach the WR's how to catch the ball and the OL to pass block before he hits the button...*

Getting game day peripherals (music, etc..) coordinated might be a good look too before things take off...

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
I've been on the Fans are Bad side of this argument for years but at this point I've been convinced and converted to the "only winning and winning Big will bring them in and keep them in" side of things...

Given today's shallow approach to pretty much all things by what appears to be about two thirds of society in general..., only by making the game "a happening" that can't be missed (even if they don't know why) will bring them in and keep them in these days... (in my opinion).

So Cignetti has an Easy button...: All he has to do is start laying 70+ on people while holding them scoreless a few times (and in doing so make this Team a work of art on the field that Must be seen) and the media hype machine will do the rest of the work for him...

Do that to UCLA and Nebraska (at their places) and they'll have to add an extra airstrip to the Bloomington airport for all the private aircraft coming in on Game Day...

*Wouldn't hurt to teach the WR's how to catch the ball and the OL to pass block before he hits the button...*

Getting game day peripherals (music, etc..) coordinated might be a good look too before things take off...
I’m still firmly on the “we’ve got soft fans” camp, but one of my Facebook memories this morning is causing me to extend a little grace for Saturday’s showing.

2 years ago we opened with Illinois on a Friday night game. I was just looking at a video I took as the game ended and stadium looked about 40-45% full, maybe a little less, at the end. That was a tight, conference game, at night where weather wasn’t a big deal, and on a Friday night where it’s harder to draw a crowd anyway.

Compare that to Saturday where it was damn hot in the sun, against an un-sexy non-con, in a game that was never particularly competitive.

So, I DO wonder how the Maryland crowd will be in 4 weeks, because at that point we should have a better idea of the team we’ve got, the weather shouldn’t be a significant factor, and it’s an important game.

I’ll withhold judgment on whether the fans are turning the corner.

My big concern is that there’s gonna be a big game against a quality opponent that goes to the wire and it ends in front of 15k people.

Cincinnati game a couple years ago shows what Memorial Stadium can, and would, be like with a couple years of sustained success.

Cincy brought some fans, obviously, but no more than a normal B10 opponent will.

Win 6+ this year. 7+ next year. And we’ll start having Cincy like games and atmospheres more often than not.

Also…didn’t the student section move slightly this season? Seemed like the area that was empty early in the game, and then that became even more empty was more the general seating area on that side?

Indiana has to beat UCLA to even think about drawing a full house. I'm of the opinion that if they can start out 4-0, there will be a monster crowd on hand for MD. Beat MD and a 5-0 start will certainly draw VERY well for the balance of the year.

Indiana is an odd bunch of fans to be honest. Any fanbase that promotes basketball over football is hard to take seriously....I read where BASEBALL is more popular with Americans than basketball!! Of course football is far and away the most anticipated and popular sport in the United States. Again, Indiana has a very odd fanbase as they go against the grain in this regard even with a basketball program that has largely been mediocre for decades and running on hype.

My genuine hope is that Cignetti can give us 8 or so good years of football. Hopefully he can build the culture into a winning one and create a good football vibe. Beating middle of the road BT teams and knocking off a big boy will create a better culture.

I’m still firmly on the “we’ve got soft fans” camp, but one of my Facebook memories this morning is causing me to extend a little grace for Saturday’s showing.

2 years ago we opened with Illinois on a Friday night game. I was just looking at a video I took as the game ended and stadium looked about 40-45% full, maybe a little less, at the end. That was a tight, conference game, at night where weather wasn’t a big deal, and on a Friday night where it’s harder to draw a crowd anyway.

Compare that to Saturday where it was damn hot in the sun, against an un-sexy non-con, in a game that was never particularly competitive.

So, I DO wonder how the Maryland crowd will be in 4 weeks, because at that point we should have a better idea of the team we’ve got, the weather shouldn’t be a significant factor, and it’s an important game.

I’ll withhold judgment on whether the fans are turning the corner.

My big concern is that there’s gonna be a big game against a quality opponent that goes to the wire and it ends in front of 15k people.
It was hot and FIU is not an exciting opponent, but the sparse crowd in the second half was a really bad look.

IU should seriously consider coming up with something (in addition to consistently good football!) to incentivize fans to stay 'til the end. Alabama (yes, Nick Saban's Alabama) rolled out an app several years ago (see below) that tracked students' location and awarded "loyalty points" to those who remained in the stadium for the duration of the game. There were some glitches with the technology but the idea was sound. IU might try something similar. Maybe they could partner with a local business or two with a BOGO opportunity or some other reward for fans who stay to the end.

It was hot and FIU is not an exciting opponent, but the sparse crowd in the second half was a really bad look.

IU should seriously consider coming up with something (in addition to consistently good football!) to incentivize fans to stay 'til the end. Alabama (yes, Nick Saban's Alabama) rolled out an app several years ago (see below) that tracked students' location and awarded "loyalty points" to those who remained in the stadium for the duration of the game. There were some glitches with the technology but the idea was sound. IU might try something similar. Maybe they could partner with a local business or two with a BOGO opportunity or some other reward for fans who stay to the end.

100% agree.

I also think they should withhold priority points for so. Ticket holders who don’t use some percentage of their tix.

Alabama did that? That's incredible that they even saw it as a need, or at least as a good loyalty program.

Not too good for Ole Indiana then, hope to see it.

Of course, one school needs it to distribute a highly sought ticket. The other for different reasons. Still, better seats and priority help for the biggest games, even if a few games still are 'easy ticket, sit anywhere'.

Last edited:
Oregon is struggling with Idaho
UCLA is struggling with Hawaii
Michigan is struggling with Fresno St.
MSU struggled with FAU
Wisconsin struggled with WMU

FIU < Idaho
FIU < Hawaii
FIU < Fresno St
FIU < FAU
FIU < WMU

Seems like a strange comparison. Not to mention, those teams could all be garbage and their fans should be concerned.

FIU < Idaho
FIU < Hawaii
FIU < Fresno St
FIU < FAU
FIU < WMU

Seems like a strange comparison. Not to mention, those teams could all be garbage and their fans should be concerned.
The point was that you can't draw too many conclusions from any team's first game performance.

If we're 4-0 heading into the Maryland game and it's close at the half, I guarantee fans will be in the stands all or most of the game.

Speaking as one who has sat on the student side, the heat gets to you in that kind of sun and humidity. In my day, you could practically carry in a keg for refreshment and no on cared. Students can't afford many $7 or $8 beers (or whatever they cost now). I think most didn't want to sit through the heat when it looked like IU was rolling.

That's not an excuse, but a possible reason. The other reason, of course, is..... have you seen how the girls are dressed? I'd be out chasing tail today, too, rather than sweat my ass off.

Indiana has to beat UCLA to even think about drawing a full house. I'm of the opinion that if they can start out 4-0, there will be a monster crowd on hand for MD. Beat MD and a 5-0 start will certainly draw VERY well for the balance of the year.

Indiana is an odd bunch of fans to be honest. Any fanbase that promotes basketball over football is hard to take seriously....I read where BASEBALL is more popular with Americans than basketball!! Of course football is far and away the most anticipated and popular sport in the United States. Again, Indiana has a very odd fanbase as they go against the grain in this regard even with a basketball program that has largely been mediocre for decades and running on hype.

My genuine hope is that Cignetti can give us 8 or so good years of football. Hopefully he can build the culture into a winning one and create a good football vibe. Beating middle of the road BT teams and knocking off a big boy will create a better culture.
Any P4 school that doesn’t prioritize football is going to find themselves in a bad spot. None of the clout exists with basketball. It’s a passenger while football drives the show. You can damn near put basketball on cruise control with a competent coach. Unfortunately, IU has spent 25 years searching for one.
The Big 18 didn’t add Washington, USC and Oregon for any basketball achievements.
The school has been stuck in the dark ages for decades, largely from lack of vision and complete incompetence. Amateur hour athletics.

I’m old enough to remember when Oregon was a shitshow in football. They were terrible prior to Rich Brooks.

Reactions: IUgradman
FIU < Idaho
FIU < Hawaii
FIU < Fresno St
FIU < FAU
FIU < WMU

I'll give you Fresno State - they're traditionally pretty decent and can compete with the big boys.

The others? Hawaii sucked last year and I don't remember any time Idaho was ever good. FAU may be on par with an FIU. WMU? I don't know - they're OK in the MAC.

I think the south Florida boys took the heat on the field better than our guys did, late in the 1st half and 2nd half.

Get that on-the-field promo guy out of here - he's annoying as hell. As is the THIIIIIIIIRRRDDD DOOOWWWWNNNN growl by the PA announcer. Really annoying.

If we're 4-0 heading into the Maryland game and it's close at the half, I guarantee fans will be in the stands all or most of the game.

Speaking as one who has sat on the student side, the heat gets to you in that kind of sun and humidity. In my day, you could practically carry in a keg for refreshment and no on cared. Students can't afford many $7 or $8 beers (or whatever they cost now). I think most didn't want to sit through the heat when it looked like IU was rolling.

That's not an excuse, but a possible reason. The other reason, of course, is..... have you seen how the girls are dressed? I'd be out chasing tail today, too, rather than sweat my ass off.
I wouldn’t go so far to give any guarantees with our fanbase whatsoever. Particularly the students. That isn’t blaming fans. Just calling a spade a spade. It’s just a rotten culture with a rotten student base.

The point was that you can't draw too many conclusions from any team's first game performance.
I was countering that point and stating those games offer concern as well. So you can draw concerns from all games. That doesn't mean a team can't improve but it doesn't then negate those as concerning performances.

I wouldn’t go so far to give any guarantees with our fanbase whatsoever. Particularly the students. That isn’t blaming fans. Just calling a spade a spade. It’s just a rotten culture with a rotten student base.
Aren't you part of that fan base? I am. You show me the next worst historically bad FB program and tell me how many fans they have show up.

Some pretty impressive stats which I hadn't looked up. … Not only will the pass protection get better but so will the run blocking. The 2 young guards are being elevated to 2nd grade this week in practice. The blade will get more honing next Saturday.
https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/a-l...-counts-and-week-one-grades-according-to-pff/

The two guards did well, given their experience… RT was the problem.

All according to PFF, here is where the Hoosiers rank nationally after week one:

• Overall Offense: 56th (out of 134)
    • Passing: 85th
    • Pass Blocking: 48th
    • Receiving: 49th
    • Running: 52nd
    • Run Blocking: 43rd
Kurtis Rourke’s overall grade was 61.6, and his passing grade was 66.3 — 58th nationally out of 70 quarterbacks who had at least 25 drop backs over the weekend.

While there was talk of three running backs seeing snaps, two emerged with Ty Son Lawton playing 35 snaps and Justice Ellison 24. The anticipated third back in the rotation, Kaelon Black, only played two snaps. Ellison earned the highest grade on the team for running the football, but graded poorly in pass protection, while Lawton was much better in that area.

Among backs with at least 10 carries, Ellison had the 15th best rushing grade in the nation.

In a deep receiver room, Elijah Sarratt led the way with 62 snaps. Next up was a somewhat surprising 47 from Omar Cooper, Jr., who was on the field to start the game rather than Donaven McCulley, who also left the game with an injury. Miles Cross, who made ESPN’s top plays with his one-handed catch, had the highest receiving grade on the team. …

The competition at starting guard after the season-ending injury to Nick Kidwell had clear winners. Bray Lynch and Drew Evans took the first 69 snaps at guard before the entire first unit took the last drive off. Lynch earned a very good pass blocking grade, while Evans was slightly better in run blocking.

Curt Cignetti said the pressure in the passing game came from the edge, and that’s reflected in Trey Wedig’s pass-blocking grade, a team worst mark among the offensive linemen. Meanwhile, on the other end Carter Smith had the best pass blocking mark on the team, and eighth best in the nation. Lynch wasn’t far behind at 17th best in the nation, both irrespective of number of snaps played or position.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/a-l...-counts-and-week-one-grades-according-to-pff/

The two guards did well, given their experience… RT was the problem.

All according to PFF, here is where the Hoosiers rank nationally after week one:

• Overall Offense: 56th (out of 134)
    • Passing: 85th
    • Pass Blocking: 48th
    • Receiving: 49th
    • Running: 52nd
    • Run Blocking: 43rd
Kurtis Rourke’s overall grade was 61.6, and his passing grade was 66.3 — 58th nationally out of 70 quarterbacks who had at least 25 drop backs over the weekend.

While there was talk of three running backs seeing snaps, two emerged with Ty Son Lawton playing 35 snaps and Justice Ellison 24. The anticipated third back in the rotation, Kaelon Black, only played two snaps. Ellison earned the highest grade on the team for running the football, but graded poorly in pass protection, while Lawton was much better in that area.

Among backs with at least 10 carries, Ellison had the 15th best rushing grade in the nation.

In a deep receiver room, Elijah Sarratt led the way with 62 snaps. Next up was a somewhat surprising 47 from Omar Cooper, Jr., who was on the field to start the game rather than Donaven McCulley, who also left the game with an injury. Miles Cross, who made ESPN’s top plays with his one-handed catch, had the highest receiving grade on the team. …

The competition at starting guard after the season-ending injury to Nick Kidwell had clear winners. Bray Lynch and Drew Evans took the first 69 snaps at guard before the entire first unit took the last drive off. Lynch earned a very good pass blocking grade, while Evans was slightly better in run blocking.

Curt Cignetti said the pressure in the passing game came from the edge, and that’s reflected in Trey Wedig’s pass-blocking grade, a team worst mark among the offensive linemen. Meanwhile, on the other end Carter Smith had the best pass blocking mark on the team, and eighth best in the nation. Lynch wasn’t far behind at 17th best in the nation, both irrespective of number of snaps played or position.
Isn't Wedig a Wisconsin transfer?

I know you are a Purdue household with your daughter going there and I get much of that argument but……you don’t think that larger cities like Lexington and Madison offer as much if not more to do from the restaurant and cultural scene as Bloomington?
Bloomington is not some kind of utopia from an entertainment standpoint. There are countless schools in towns and cities big and small with just as much opportunity for distraction that don’t experience this phenomenon. Stop using that as an excuse.
Daughter? Never stated the gender.

Madison is nice as well, but not Btown. Lexington is awful. Been to both a lot. Wisky did what IU needs to do to fill the joint.

Stop blaming fans. This is a culture steeped for decades, steeped in decisions IU made.

Wanna change it? Change it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT