ADVERTISEMENT

We played ok…

Don't remember. Was the attendance good during the Hep years? Hep was definitely a rah rah guy. Coach CIG doesn't impress me that way. Coach Mal wasn't that way either and he had some good attendance. Then again he won some big games. And that's what coach CIG has to do.
Hep’s saying was “Crowds help win games.”
And, for the most part, he got people to come inside. MSU game at home where Hardy put on a clinic and the visiting State fans held up signs to “Fire John L. Smith” was packed.
IU beat the brakes off of UK at home and it was packed.
We had a very tight game with Iowa, who was ranked #18 at the time, and our students pulled their usual disappearing act, only to return in the 4th quarter as we won on an interception in the waning moments.
But that was almost 20 years ago.
I wouldn’t trust any student in today’s world to have any loyalty to much of anything other than their cell phone.
I’m of the opinion that IU should probably just start giving away tickets to Monroe County’s homeless and lower income communities along with food vouchers for the concessions and get more people in that way. To hell with the students. Get some people in here that might appreciate a free ticket and free food.

Kentucky fans >>> Indiana fans all day, everyday. My mom's family is Big Blue fans and I live down here....

Kentucky fans also tend to love football. My cousins on mom's side love Kentucky football. Their support proves this to be true.
Went to the IU game at Commonwealth Stadium when the IUs TB got stuffed. Yes, UK fans then were passionate about football despite being a historical SEC football doormat. Stoops seems to have cured the doormat perception. Mallory shed the doormat for IU, but couldn’t sustain that success with Alex Smith.

Western Illinois last year 0-11.

South Dakota 48-6
Indiana State 27-6
Northern Iowa 50-6
Southern Illinois 63-0
North Dakota State. 52-7
Missouri State. 48-7
U North Dakota 49-10
Southern Utah 37-17
Lindenwood 43-40
Illinois State 34-18
New Mexico State 58-21

• Wow
Reactions: vesuvius13 and td75
From this week’s game notes:

The Indiana offensive line was the only Oline in the Power 4 with multiple players among the top-10 in pass protection grade per Pro Football Focus in Week 1. Redshirt sophomore Carter Smith led the Power 4 with a 89.2 grade, while redshirt sophomore Bray Lynch ranked No. 4 in the Big Ten and No. 7 in the Power 4 at 87.8 per Pro Football Focus.

High grades should have been expected v. FIU … blocking the right guys … the right way … is a good habit to have. Let’s give Bostad credit for the preparation.

Went to the IU game at Commonwealth Stadium when the IUs TB got stuffed. Yes, UK fans then were passionate about football despite being a historical SEC football doormat. Stoops seems to have cured the doormat perception. Mallory shed the doormat for IU, but couldn’t sustain that success with Alex Smith.
Kentucky has done a nice job building up their football program I hate to admit. Sort of a blueprint for us, though we'll be a little different since Lexington is larger.

Takes time to change culture and my opinion is Football just isn't as important here. I lived for 4 years in East Tennessee and the UT fans drove me nuts because it was 24/7/365 with them. People for Christmas used Orange and White Christmas lights and not uncommon to see a big UT in the front yard. Then lived 13 years in Atlanta and the UGA fans are just as passionate but less annoying. Came to Indiana in 2006 and the passion for football is not even close to my prior two stops. Younger daughter just graduated from Iowa State and have been to a game out there and Jack Trice was rocking the whole game, and it was a 52-0 blow out. Yes people do leave at the bigger games as well, just not in droves like at IU.

I liked what I saw on Saturday, no it wasn't perfect but for the first game, I saw a lot that was encouraging. Friday should be a good day to work out some things, get the backups and underclassmen some development time in a game, hold out the guy's who are dinged up a bit and be ready to kick UCLA's ass next week.

Takes time to change culture and my opinion is Football just isn't as important here. I lived for 4 years in East Tennessee and the UT fans drove me nuts because it was 24/7/365 with them. People for Christmas used Orange and White Christmas lights and not uncommon to see a big UT in the front yard. Then lived 13 years in Atlanta and the UGA fans are just as passionate but less annoying. Came to Indiana in 2006 and the passion for football is not even close to my prior two stops. Younger daughter just graduated from Iowa State and have been to a game out there and Jack Trice was rocking the whole game, and it was a 52-0 blow out. Yes people do leave at the bigger games as well, just not in droves like at IU.

I liked what I saw on Saturday, no it wasn't perfect but for the first game, I saw a lot that was encouraging. Friday should be a good day to work out some things, get the backups and underclassmen some development time in a game, hold out the guy's who are dinged up a bit and be ready to kick UCLA's ass next week.
being in the same state as ND has always hurt us. i've known many a reversible jacket fan in my day.

At some point, yes.

I said “at some percentage.” By that I mean if a season ticket holder’s tickets get scanned in as attending like 2 of 8 home games then it doesn’t hurt my feelings.

I’d rather tickets go to people who want to be there and go most of the time vs ones who get season tickets for the FB bonus.

I’m not saying you get punished for making your kids game. And there’s not really a punishment per se, it’s just not getting priority points for buying tickets and not going.
I have tried to sell my tickets in instances like this and I literally can’t give them away. Not talking premium games of course, but tickets not dead center between the 35’s just don’t sell online for regular opponents. There isn’t much one can do.

The oline couldn't block anyone. Between that and the penalties, it was a bit of a let down despite the score

We ran for 6 yards a carry against a Mike McIntyre defense that runs a ton of looks at the offense. FIU is not a bad team Nevertheless, it seems like there was some really good blocking. The two primary backs--Ellison and Lawton averaged 5.2 yards per carry approx. There were some issues with Evans and Wedig in the pass pro where FIU ran a few games. Backs missed a couple of blocks. Not a big deal and completely fixable. Smith, Katic and Lynch were very good. Evans, Wedig, Green and and Ellison were the only blockers that gave up a hurry. OL is one of the hardest position groups to play. They will figure it out.

As for penalties, Lynch and Evans had 1 apiece. Two guys who haven't played in years. Cooper picked up two and so did Sarrat.

I don't know what your expectations are, but we played better in this game than we did from 2021-2023.

Part of the story is that Indiana is a state that has 3 major football programs. In a way, you've split the citizen loyalties. A lot of states don't have as much. Look at Tennessee - people around the state are rabid UT fans, partly because they have no other "major" program to compete with. Same with Ohio State, Wisconsin, Illinois, Kentucky, etc... This is a small part of the puzzle, but it certainly takes its toll.

Part of the story is that Indiana is a state that has 3 major football programs. In a way, you've split the citizen loyalties. A lot of states don't have as much. Look at Tennessee - people around the state are rabid UT fans, partly because they have no other "major" program to compete with. Same with Ohio State, Wisconsin, Illinois, Kentucky, etc... This is a small part of the puzzle, but it certainly takes its toll.
It's a major part of the puzzle, imo.

That is an argument for a different discussion. There were 44k+ inside the stadium Saturday. At least 1/3 of them left incredibly early.

Reactions: IUgradman
Yeah, Michigan is a 21.5 point favorite and struggling at home. I'm thinking Indiana actually looked good in a lot of areas.

I don't think Cignetti showed much of the playback, particularly on offense. That should bode well for future games.
I wondered aloud during the game if we were having a Milton Berle game (only pulling out enough to win) so keep our offense off film.

Cincinnati game a couple years ago shows what Memorial Stadium can, and would, be like with a couple years of sustained success.

Cincy brought some fans, obviously, but no more than a normal B10 opponent will.

Win 6+ this year. 7+ next year. And we’ll start having Cincy like games and atmospheres more often than not.

Also…didn’t the student section move slightly this season? Seemed like the area that was empty early in the game, and then that became even more empty was more the general seating area on that side?
They moved part of the student section to the north end zone.

Some students invaded my section in the first half and then left at halftime. Plenty of folks left at halftime, and probably half the students. But it was HOT when the sun came out. We stayed until the 2 minute warning, thinking they would kneel out the clock, but I don't blame kids for leaving. Getting drunk in 90 degree heat with the sun bearing down is unpleasant.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
I have tried to sell my tickets in instances like this and I literally can’t give them away. Not talking premium games of course, but tickets not dead center between the 35’s just don’t sell online for regular opponents. There isn’t much one can do.
Mine are between the 45's and I couldn't give them away last year

• Wow
Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT