ADVERTISEMENT

We have so much NIL

Can anyone confirm that now that Cuban is not the majority owner of the Mavs that he can now direct NIL to the Indiana bball program!

It's a great tax write down and write off.

Can anyone confirm that now that Cuban is not the majority owner of the Mavs that he can now direct NIL to the Indiana bball program!

Mark has a bigger project on the horizon than the Mav’s for whom he is now a minority owner.

I bet top 3 for bball. We better own this transfer portal.
Cubans a billionaire glad to see he's onboard. went to a few games with one of those guys in the video. recognized a couple of other people in that group. there all pretty big donors, but nothing extraordinary, 100k a year for sure would get you and that room and wouldn't be surprised if 50 didn't, most power 5 schools are doing the same.

Reactions: Bucket Getter

I’m not sure of the tax implications but I doubt Cuban gives it much thought.
He is worth about 6 billion. It sounds like our NIL increased 2,000,000 so I’ll make a guess (I have NO idea) that he kicked in 600k. To put in perspective 600k of his 6B net worth is equivalent to a guy worth a substantial 10,000,000 giving $1,000. (or a guy worth a million giving a hundred bucks).

EDIT: To be clear….I welcome, and am not disparaging the amount, any and all contributions Cuban makes to the program. Just pointing out how successful he has been resulting in having an unreal amount of assets. Kudos to him.

Last edited:
Have you ever considered that we would win more games with less NIL, and less booster involvement?
I am old school. I like getting four yr kids on the most part with some transfers sprinkled in. We have no freshmen coming in so how old are our portal transfers going to be? If they are older then we are going to be in the same boat.

You can’t build a roster just by NIL. You have to recruit and build relationships. The once you get the kids you have to build a team and develop the talent. You also have to recruit character, how much could Braden Smith fetch if he entered the portal? He ain’t do it because that’s not the type of kid he is.

You can’t build a roster just by NIL. You have to recruit and build relationships. The once you get the kids you have to build a team and develop the talent. You also have to recruit character, how much could Braden Smith fetch if he entered the portal? He ain’t do it because that’s not the type of kid he is.
Exactly but we have pretty much killed our 2025 and 2026 recruiting by bringing woodson back. He is a lame duck coach and every other coach will use it against him if he bothers to even try and recruit any high school kids.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
I suppose.

But is this the ONLY way forward?

Hold your nose and celebrate never ending free agency for 18-22 year olds who wont roll their window down when law enforcement asks them to?
Abandon all identity outside of wins bought and paid for?

Serious question.
I'm not sure what in the hell you're talking about but I care about winning. Everything else (as long as it's within the rules) takes a backseat.

Leave the holier than thou back in my day bs for the boomers.

Reactions: Cavanagh
Exactly but we have pretty much killed our 2025 and 2026 recruiting by bringing woodson back. He is a lame duck coach and every other coach will use it against him if he bothers to even try and recruit any high school kids.
Agree

You can’t build a roster just by NIL.

Depends on your goal. If you're trying to build a sustainable program for year after year success then loading up on portal mercenaries probably isn't the best long term approach. If you just need to assemble a team for one season to keep from getting fired then you might be able to make that work with a big enough pile of cash.

Someone wants Mike Woodson to stay in Bloomington. Hence the influx of money.

Depends on your goal. If you're trying to build a sustainable program for year after year success then loading up on portal mercenaries probably isn't the best long term approach. If you just need to assemble a team for one season to keep from getting fired then you might be able to make that work with a big enough pile of cash.

Why though? It doesn’t make sense to keep him.

Reactions: Al Bino

The big boosters for whatever reason want him to stay. I guess they like the wine and cigar nights.

Hey, it is the nature of the beast now with NIL. Eddie George talked about $100 handshakes while at OSU and I guarantee both Duke and Kentucky had back channels to take care of their players. Coach K and Calipari have had handlers.

Good to see Todd Wagner involved. He is from Merrillville and lived on Boisen 4 his freshman year. We won Teter Quad in both football and basketball that year 1978-79. Todd was a pretty good athlete. I am not sure what fraternity he ended up in. Accounting undergrad and Law degree.

We lost in the basketball tournament to a team that included Tim Wilbur of football and Holdiay Bowl winner in 1979. Fun memories.

Bad mistake…the fact they had to announce he will return tells you he is failing

To be fair, there was so much talk about his demise coupled with all of the Pearl speculation that they really had to put an end to the narrative. I was almost starting to believe it myself and I never believe anything anymore. They had no choice.

To be fair, there was so much talk about his demise coupled with all of the Pearl speculation that they really had to put an end to the narrative. I was almost starting to believe it myself and I never believe anything anymore. They had no choice.
Regardless he is a lame duck now

Reactions: Bucket Getter
I bet top 3 for bball. We better own this transfer portal.
This video makes me realize how much easier it would be to lure a top coach here. This didn't exist a few years ago, certainly not to this level. IU has some heavy hitters on board with at least two billionaires. Incredible resources with money, facilities, and location, however I think the B10 is not the most desirable conference to be in right now in terms of competition.

Reactions: IUgradman
Why though? It doesn’t make sense to keep him.
Apparently they want to give him one more year to try to turn it around. These people aren’t stupid. I imagine that most of those in power would agree that it will take at least a sweet 16 and some promising building of the roster, including 2025 & 2026 recruits. So he needs to keep MR and MM and strike gold in the portal. Notice that there has not been any statements of confidence in Woodson from Dolson or anyone else.
I have little confidence that he can survive next year.

Apparently they want to give him one more year to try to turn it around. These people aren’t stupid. I imagine that most of those in power would agree that it will take at least a sweet 16 and some promising building of the roster, including 2025 & 2026 recruits. So he needs to keep MR and MM and strike gold in the portal. Notice that there has not been any statements of confidence in Woodson from Dolson or anyone else.
I have little confidence that he can survive next year.
What’s doesn’t say to the culture if we see MR and MM leave also. 5 transfers??? Ouch

I have little confidence that he can survive next yea
High school recruiting is now dead. Coming off landing zero 2024 recruits woodson is now a lame duck coach. What high school kid will want to come to IU not knowing who the coach will be? Then again woodson isnt very good at HS recruiting anyway so I guess it is just more of the same.

What’s doesn’t say to the culture if we see MR and MM leave also. 5 transfers??? Ouch
They may stay only because they will totally overpay to keep them. All this portal money and tons of it will go just to keep guys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT