ADVERTISEMENT

We have a verdict -- Guilty on ALL counts

Correct. See how simple this is?
I guess it makes sense to a lawyer. I wish someone would explain it to me in English.

Something can't be defined by it's own name. You can't say a crime is a crime because..... it's a crime. With intent, of course.

No, not only. They also had to prove the act, which was the falsification of business records. What they did not have to prove was the underlying crime that he was accused of trying to cover up.
No, not only. They also had to prove the act, which was the falsification of business records. What they did not have to prove was the underlying crime that he was accused of trying to cover up.
The statute.

“A person is guilty of falsifying business records in the first degree when he commits the crime of falsifying business records in the second degree, and when his intent to defraud includes an intent to commit another crime or to aid or conceal the commission thereof.”

You stated the government argument, but many legal scholars reject that interpretation. The term “another crime” is pretty specific. The offense doesn’t say “some” crime or behavior believed to be a crime. We are talking felony here. Due process which is intended to provide meaningful notice of the wrongful conduct, would require “another crime” as meaning what it says, another crime.

Reactions: DANC
I guess it makes sense to a lawyer. I wish someone would explain it to me in English.

Something can't be defined by it's own name. You can't say a crime is a crime because..... it's a crime. With intent, of course.
Nothing I typed can be reduced to some silly self-reference. I explained why the predicate crime didn't need to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, i.e., because it was not actually an element of the crime Trump was convicted of. I explained this clearly and without ambiguity. I have no idea what you could possibly imagine your point is.

• Haha
The statute.

“A person is guilty of falsifying business records in the first degree when he commits the crime of falsifying business records in the second degree, and when his intent to defraud includes an intent to commit another crime or to aid or conceal the commission thereof.”

You stated the government argument, but many legal scholars reject that interpretation. The term “another crime” is pretty specific. The offense doesn’t say “some” crime or behavior believed to be a crime. We are talking felony here. Due process which is intended to provide meaningful notice of the wrongful conduct, would require “another crime” as meaning what it says, another crime.
Yes, I stated the government argument, which is probably backed up by precedent in at least the Seventh Circuit, and perhaps others. I did not say I agreed with it, and in fact, have made it clear since the beginning of the trial that I did not.

Charges? No, not political.

They ****ed up on the plea agreement, which was political. Now they're trying to bend over backwards to make it appear non-political, even though the trial is in Delaware.

Personally, I think Hunter should plead guilty, pay a fine, and move on to the next trial, which is more serious. But I understand he's pleaded not guilty.
Different response than most of your bretheren.

95 percent of people have no idea what he was convicted of. It’s a convoluted mess of misdemeanors dubiously tied to other crimes in order to raise them to felonies in which they argued his INTENT was to commit election interference. Or something along those lines.

I think the more people find out about this, the more obvious it becomes how unbelievably ridiculous it is.
Here you go then:

I hope you read them. Actually being smart is harder than just trying to claim you're smart.

The statute.

Actually, let me amend my previous response slightly. At the beginning, my objection to the prosecution wasn't on due process grounds at all, but rather on the fact that I didn't agree that the predicate crimes offered were really crimes at all. However, considering how Byzantine our election laws are, I have to admit that I could have been wrong on that one.

That said, I am uncomfortable with the concept of raising a misdemeanor to a felony based on a crime that doesn't need to be proven. I cannot go as far as your "many legal scholars" to reject the legal reasoning that justifies it. I just don't like it, as a matter of justice.

Actually, let me amend my previous response slightly. At the beginning, my objection to the prosecution wasn't on due process grounds at all, but rather on the fact that I didn't agree that the predicate crimes offered were really crimes at all. However, considering how Byzantine our election laws are, I have to admit that I could have been wrong on that one.

That said, I am uncomfortable with the concept of raising a misdemeanor to a felony based on a crime that doesn't need to be proven. I cannot go as far as your "many legal scholars" to reject the legal reasoning that justifies it. I just don't like it, as a matter of justice.
It’s sort of like aggravating. Third dwi elevates to a felony. Etc

I understand it just fine, you troglodyte.

Try reading a post before you spaz out on it.
Your post read as though people being ignorant of the crime somehow made the verdict ridiculous. And seem to be serious.

Maybe try making sense and people wouldn't spaz out on it

define the underlying crime he committed
For it to be legally admissible, doesn't it have to be proven (i.e. him be found guilty of it) for it to be admissible?

**keyboard warrior- boom they just did...**

Wrong, it would have been a federal crime, not within Braggs ability to prosecute. Right? I am not a lawyer.

Wouldn't have mattered. The verdict was decided before the trial even began.

The defense strategy didn't matter a bit. It's the Prosecution's job to prove guilt, not the Defense's job to prove innocence.

Anyone who think there was no room for doubt in this case is only fooling themselves.
Why doubt?

Did the prosecution leave any serious doubt that Trump was involved with falsifying business records? No.

Did the prosecution leave any serious doubt that Trump intended to influence the election when he did so? No.

It's amazing how Trump's lawyers are always incompetent - to his defenders.
But, after the convictions, his Capitol Hill surrogates said they blamed the prosecutor and judge but specifically said they do not blame the jury. Figure that one out.

i read that he has significant limitations, i read that he has his route shortened so people don't see how he shuffles, i look at him, i listen to him fumble over doing nothing more than read a teleprompter, and i understand that he isn't allowed to go off script and i think for myself based on the foregoing information. it's what thinking people do who aren't hyper partisan contortionists excusing what's right before their eyes.
These things in your post are not things that are "right before your eyes" -- they're all secondhand:

-- "i read that he has significant limitations"
-- "i read that he has his route shortened so people don't see how he shuffles"
-- "i understand that he isn't allowed to go off script"

Your opinions are based on secondhand information.

It takes you off ignore when I take anyone else off ignore. I've had Stuffshirt (or whatever his ID is) on ignore, but I take him off to respond if I see a response to him that I want to comment on.

I saw your post and decided to respond. But I won't be a hypocrite (I know OS reads my posts, even though he says he has me on ignore) - I'll take you off ignore. I'll try not to respond to your personal insults, but I also expect you to behave yourself. ;)
So, you claim you put me on "ignore" but don't really "ignore" me? LOL!

You're just as honest as Trump.

These things in your post are not things that are "right before your eyes" -- they're all secondhand:

-- "i read that he has significant limitations"
-- "i read that he has his route shortened so people don't see how he shuffles"
-- "i understand that he isn't allowed to go off script"

Your opinions are based on secondhand information.
wrong per usual.
i have eyes and ears and can see his significant limitations that comport with what the special prosecutor said: The report described the 81-year-old Democrat's memory as “hazy,” “fuzzy,” “faulty,” “poor” and having “significant limitations.” It noted that Biden could not recall defining milestones in his own life such as when his son Beau died or when he served as vice president.

i've seen the biden shuffle as it's all over instagram. it's alarming to see and why his handlers are shortening his route.

it's common knowledge that he has few press conferences and reads directly from a teleprompter - hence a script. pause. four more years. pause.

your head is in the sand

Why doubt?

Did the prosecution leave any serious doubt that Trump was involved with falsifying business records? No.

Did the prosecution leave any serious doubt that Trump intended to influence the election when he did so? No.
Influencing the election is not a crime.

The two that immediately come to mind: his campaign meeting with that Russian during his 2016 election and using Guiliani to go talk to the Ukrainians. Both just incredibly amateurish. Clinton (and many others) would have covered up both much better. And of course, tweeting everything. That was ridiculously stupid while President.
And, it was stupid to attack the Republicans that ran the Georgia election (Secretary of State etc.) by insisting that there had been election fraud in the Georgia election by hundreds of thousands of votes, especially in a recorded phone call. That was basically saying to their faces that they were incompetent.

Then Trump's amateurism shone supernova bright when he said in the same call, "I just want to find 11,780 votes". After that statement, the Georgia officials could not possibly reverse their earlier certification of the results in Biden's favor without appearing to be doing Trump's bidding..

Trump simply does not know how to deal with people through persuasion, Bullying is all he knows. His big point in The Art of the Deal was to be willing to walk away from the negotiation if things aren't going his way.

? When you enter a bill to pay or directly pay an expense you get a drop down window to pick where to post. Legal or Professional fees are generally one of those options. I haven’t seen paying off a whore in the drop down window.
Did your Mennonite clients ever use that billing category?

The statute.

One no one here seems to be able to identify.

Nothing I typed can be reduced to some silly self-reference. I explained why the predicate crime didn't need to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, i.e., because it was not actually an element of the crime Trump was convicted of. I explained this clearly and without ambiguity. I have no idea what you could possibly imagine your point is.
And you still can't even identify the 'predicate crime' that was supposedly committed.

Reactions: stollcpa
But, after the convictions, his Capitol Hill surrogates said they blamed the prosecutor and judge but specifically said they do not blame the jury. Figure that one out.
Not hard to figure out when the judge gave bizarre instructions to the jury to pick a crime - any crime - and as long as they found at least one crime, they had to convict. Even if they didn't all agree on what crime.

Just ****ing bizarre.

So, you claim you put me on "ignore" but don't really "ignore" me? LOL!

You're just as honest as Trump.
Nah, with you, I just put you on ignore because I couldn't stand your stupidity.

Sometimes I take you off ignore to read your posts for a good laugh.

Reactions: stollcpa
Nah, with you, I just put you on ignore because I couldn't stand your stupidity.

Sometimes I take you off ignore to read your posts for a good laugh.
You focus on the dumbest things. Trump lost the case under NY law. Maybe it will be overturned on appeal, and maybe not. Whining about the case will do nothing.

You focus on the dumbest things. Trump lost the case under NY law. Maybe it will be overturned on appeal, and maybe not. Whining about the case will do nothing.
You must be replying to the wrong post - my post had nothing about the election.

Unless your TDS is more out of control than normal tonight.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
You must be replying to the wrong post - my post had nothing about the election.

Unless your TDS is more out of control than normal tonight.
Nope. Correct post. Nothing in that was about the election. Your devotion to Trump has caused your TDS.

wrong per usual.
i have eyes and ears and can see his significant limitations that comport with what the special prosecutor said: The report described the 81-year-old Democrat's memory as “hazy,” “fuzzy,” “faulty,” “poor” and having “significant limitations.” It noted that Biden could not recall defining milestones in his own life such as when his son Beau died or when he served as vice president.

i've seen the biden shuffle as it's all over instagram. it's alarming to see and why his handlers are shortening his route.

it's common knowledge that he has few press conferences and reads directly from a teleprompter - hence a script. pause. four more years. pause.

your head is in the sand
It has been said. So no source. Got it.

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT