ADVERTISEMENT

Was there not a new IU golf course renovation thread here earlier today?

So you have no opinion on the new proposal?

i've given my thoughts on the new proposal several times already.

it will be a nice course, and be like the many other nice newer style courses all over central Indiana.

but it won't be nearly as special as the current lay out would be, if upgraded right.

most equate a high end course with all bent grass, (or other premium grass), tons of traps, with lots of big fairway traps, and water.

well, the current IU course has no premium grass fairways or tees, literally zero fairway traps, far less greenside traps than most high end courses, and no water at all.

yet it's still flat out gorgeous, and still a real challenge for even good players.

add the premium grass, the trapping and water other high end courses have, some added length, and you would have one of the elite courses in the state, even the midwest.

all for a fraction of what bulldozing it over and starting from scratch will cost, and with a fraction of the down time.

as for the specifics on the new course, no one will know exactly what it will look like till it's finished.

not like you can look at an outline superimposed on that land, and know what the new course will look or feel like when it's done.

but i know what SS's Indiana courses look and feel like, and what the many many other similar nice newer central Indiana courses look and feel like.

they don't have the look and feel of what IU has now, let alone what it could be with premium grass, lots more sand, water, and some added length.

it could be really special. not just another of what we already have a lot of in central Indiana.

i realize my opinion carries no weight, and who knows the politics of the situation.

i'd hoped maybe former IU golfers who saw what the course could be, and not just what it was, would maybe chime in with the administration.

on a side note, i know of 2 champ courses in Indy that have been plowed under and redone.

The Fort and Coffin.

while i never played the old Fort course, i've played the new one, and it's nothing special at all.

those who i've talked to who have played both, say they liked it better before.

as for Coffin, while Coffin needed tons of work, the original design was much better than the new design. every hole they changed, they changed for the worse. (and they never did fix the flooding issue. which they probably never will, being on the river).

and while Eagle Creek doesn't fall under the total redo category, they've ruined that place too.

on another side note, if current IU had a well known designer's signature on it, everyone would think it was great, and just needed lots of love and the upgrades i've mentioned.

Last edited:
i've given my thoughts on the new proposal several times already.

it will be a nice course, and be like the many other nice newer style courses all over central Indiana.

but it won't be nearly as special as the current lay out would be, if upgraded right.

most equate a high end course with all bent grass, (or other premium grass), tons of traps, with lots of big fairway traps, and water.

well, the current IU course has no premium grass fairways or tees, literally zero fairway traps, far less greenside traps than most high end courses, and no water at all.

yet it's still flat out gorgeous, and still a real challenge for even good players.

add the premium grass, the trapping and water other high end courses have, some added length, and you would have one of the elite courses in the state, even the midwest.

all for a fraction of what bulldozing it over and starting from scratch will cost, and with a fraction of the down time.

as for the specifics on the new course, no one will know exactly what it will look like till it's finished.

not like you can look at an outline superimposed on that land, and know what the new course will look or feel like when it's done.

but i know what SS's Indiana courses look and feel like, and what the many many other similar nice newer central Indiana courses look and feel like.

they don't have the look and feel of what IU has now, let alone what it could be with premium grass, lots more sand, water, and some added length.

it could be really special. not just another of what we already have a lot of in central Indiana.

i realize my opinion carries no weight, and who knows the politics of the situation.

i'd hoped maybe former IU golfers who saw what the course could be, and not just what it was, would maybe chime in with the administration.

on a side note, i know of 2 champ courses in Indy that have been plowed under and redone.

The Fort and Coffin.

while i never played the old Fort course, i've played the new one, and it's nothing special at all.

those who i've talked to who have played both, say they liked it better before.

as for Coffin, while Coffin needed tons of work, the original design was much better than the new design. every hole they changed, they changed for the worse. (and they never did fix the flooding issue. which they probably never will, being on the river).

and while Eagle Creek doesn't fall under the total redo category, they've ruined that place too.

on another side note, if current IU had a well known designer's signature on it, everyone would think it was great, and just needed lots of love and the upgrades i've mentioned.

The Fort is nothing special? It's routinely ranked as one of the top 10 courses in the state.

Don't be a jackass.

i've heard that argument before, but the fairways seem to get ample sunlight, the bent grass greens seem to do ok, and other heavily wooded courses seem to overcome the issue just fine.
I think that, generally, it is best for the turf to receive ample sunlight, air, and water. Obviously some courses overcome this, but it is typically accompanied by higher maintenance costs, having fans around greens, etc. I think that the general character of the course can be maintained, while making the necessary changes to facilitate the best turfgrass growing conditions possible. If you look at public, heavily wooded courses that play in the same space as the IU course, I don't think you'll find too many that are consistently well-conditioned.

An example of what I am thinking is the Fort in Indy. Similar piece of property to the IU course in many ways, with many of the same characteristics, i.e. heavily treelined in parts. In their renovation, they kept that characteristic, while removing trees and giving the course some air and room to breathe. That course, in my experience is always reasonably well-conditioned, and is priced at a similar price point to what I expect from a renovated IU course.

If they are putting in zoysia, it will be important to give it plenty of light and air, as zoysia tends to hold water a little more than other grasses. Could result in a soft, swampy, perpetually wet course, which is not what anyone wants.

I think that, generally, it is best for the turf to receive ample sunlight, air, and water. Obviously some courses overcome this, but it is typically accompanied by higher maintenance costs, having fans around greens, etc. I think that the general character of the course can be maintained, while making the necessary changes to facilitate the best turfgrass growing conditions possible. If you look at public, heavily wooded courses that play in the same space as the IU course, I don't think you'll find too many that are consistently well-conditioned.

An example of what I am thinking is the Fort in Indy. Similar piece of property to the IU course in many ways, with many of the same characteristics, i.e. heavily treelined in parts. In their renovation, they kept that characteristic, while removing trees and giving the course some air and room to breathe. That course, in my experience is always reasonably well-conditioned, and is priced at a similar price point to what I expect from a renovated IU course.

If they are putting in zoysia, it will be important to give it plenty of light and air, as zoysia tends to hold water a little more than other grasses. Could result in a soft, swampy, perpetually wet course, which is not what anyone wants.

either you've never played The Fort, or IU, or either.

the 2 courses couldn't be any more different.

i never played the original Fort course, but the current one has far more in common with a cornfield course than a heavily wooded one.

the individuals i know who have played both the old and new Fort, (all good players), far preferred the old layout.

Last edited:
i've played it more than once. it's nothing special.
Definitely disagree. Will they have a US Open there? No. But it is a good design on a nice piece of property that is well conditioned and affordable.

I think that sometimes people in central Indiana are spoiled regarding how much good, affordable public golf is around. Prairie View, The Fort, Trophy Club, Brickyard, Heartland Crossing, Legends, Timbergate, Purgatory, etc. If the renovated course at IU turns out to be as good as some of these courses, that will be a big win for IU, the golf programs, and the Bloomington community.

Reactions: C-$ and twenty02
either you've never played The Fort, or IU, or either.

the 2 pieces of land couldn't be any more different.
I've played both numerous times. Very similar properties. Hilly, with a mix of heavily wooded and open areas. The Fort may be have more severe elevation changes. Generally, they are very similar.

If you think that the IU course is in any way like Augusta National, you have never been to Augusta National.

I've played both numerous times. Very similar properties. Hilly, with a mix of heavily wooded and open areas. The Fort may be have more severe elevation changes. Generally, they are very similar.

If you think that the IU course is in any way like Augusta National, you have never been to Augusta National.

the Fort isn't hilly or heavily wooded, i have no idea what you're talking about. (hilly for Indianapolis maybe, but nothing like IU).

might have been heavily wooded before being redone, but certainly isn't now. (one hole i can think of, the short par 3 on the front, is heavily wooded).

and like i said, everyone i know, (all good players), who have played the old Fort, far preferred it to the current course.

the Fort isn't hilly or heavily wooded, i have no idea what you're talking about. (hilly for Indianapolis maybe, but nothing like IU).

might have been heavily wooded before being redone, but certainly isn't now. (one hole i can think of, the short par 3 on the front, is heavily wooded).

and like i said, everyone i know, (all good players), who have played the old Fort, far preferred it to the current course.
By my count, holes 4, 5, 6, 10, and 11 (off the top of my head) at the Fort are what I would consider to be be heavily wooded, in the sense that trees are a "hazard" on both sides of the fairway. Beyond that, I would say that some other holes on the back 9 feature trees at least as a marginal hazard/consideration in the playing of the hole. I will grant you that, for example, holes 1, 7, and 8, for example really don't offer a tree component to the playing of the hole.

When you look at the current layout of the IU course, there is probably a relatively similar makeup of treelined and non treeline holes.

I would argue that the Fort is hillier than the IU course. Looking at 4, 5, 6, and 11 in particular. Those holes have much larger and more severe elevation changes than anything on the IU course. There aren't many flat holes at IU, but I don't think there are any holes that I would consider to have elevation change dictate the way the hole is played to speak of, apart from maybe one or two.

Probably an agree to disagree scenario...

Reactions: twenty02

You've proven the point very well that you'd don't know anything whatsoever about golf, course design, turfgrass or really, much of anything.

No reason to keep hammering that point home.

The current IU course sucks. It's on nice land, but that is the only thing good about it. Fortunately people making the decisions have 100x more sense than you and will be bulldozing it and starting from scratch.

You've proven the point very well that you'd don't know anything whatsoever about golf, course design, turfgrass or really, much of anything.

No reason to keep hammering that point home.

The current IU course sucks. It's on nice land, but that is the only thing good about it. Fortunately people making the decisions have 100x more sense than you and will be bulldozing it and starting from scratch.

from the guy who argued for 2 pages last time, that is was cheaper to build a champ course from scratch, than do the upgrades to IU i mentioned.

you obviously have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

from the guy who argued for 2 pages last time, that is was cheaper to build a champ course from scratch, than do the upgrades to IU i mentioned.

It would be pointless to do the upgrades you mentioned, as it would be a tremendous waste of money in the long run. This project is being funded entirely by private donations, so I have no idea why the cost bothers you. You have to be like the only person on earth that is this defensive of the IU golf course.

It would be pointless to do the upgrades you mentioned, as it would be a tremendous waste of money in the long run. This project is being funded entirely by private donations, so I have no idea why the cost bothers you. You have to be like the only person on earth that is this defensive of the IU golf course.

you never answered my question before.

do you even play golf, and have you ever played IU?

Reactions: C-$

It very likely would be cheaper to build a championship course from scratch, somewhere away from campus, than to do any of the renovations suggested by you or what the preliminary plan has indicated.

If they got a good piece of property for a reasonable price, they could probably build the nicest university course in the country for $10 million.

I think it is important to the university to maintain the current location of the course and some of the elements that you have mentioned, namely the wooded nature and movement of the property. I definitely agree with you that there is value in making some effort to maintain at least some of that.

Reactions: RBB89
It very likely would be cheaper to build a championship course from scratch, somewhere away from campus, than to do any of the renovations suggested by you or what the preliminary plan has indicated.

If they got a good piece of property for a reasonable price, they could probably build the nicest university course in the country for $10 million.

I think it is important to the university to maintain the current location of the course and some of the elements that you have mentioned, namely the wooded nature and movement of the property. I definitely agree with you that there is value in making some effort to maintain at least some of that.

the renovations i discussed could be done for less than 10 mil, and it would be one of the elite university courses in the nation, and be in the current location.

and building a new champ course from scratch on a wooded piece of land could not be done nearly as cost effectively as the renovations i discussed.

I never once said it would be cheaper, I said it was the only solution if they really wanted a high quality course.

I'm 100% confident this will turn out really well given who's involved.

I never once said it would be cheaper, I said it was the only solution if they really wanted a high quality course.

LMAO, you argued for multiple pages it was cheaper.

so you're being dishonest on one front, (the cheaper thing), and just flat out wrong on the other. that the current course couldn't be really high quality with the renovations i proposed.

as i said above, people now judge a high end course by premium grass tees and fairways, trapping, water, and length from the tips.

the current IU course has no premium grass tees or fairways, no water at all, not a single fairway trap, and it's still gorgeous and a tough test of golf.

add the premium grass, the water, the trapping of upscale courses, and some length, and it would be flat out spectacular, and not just another of the many nice central Indiana courses already available, that all have a similar feel imo.

so you're being dishonest on one front, (the cheaper thing), and just flat out wrong on the other. that the current course couldn't be really high quality with the renovations i proposed.

as i said above, people now judge a high end course by premium grass tees and fairways, trapping, water, and length from the tips.

the current IU course has no premium grass tees or fairways, no water at all, not a single fairway trap, and it's still gorgeous and a tough test of golf.

add the premium grass, the water, the trapping of upscale courses, and some length, and it would be flat out spectacular, and not just another of the many nice central Indiana courses already available, that all have a similar feel imo.

Go link that old thread before calling me a liar. Good luck, you won't find it. You have voices in your head. Seek help. Or don't. Just go away.

You are a ****ing idiot. Everyone here has pointed out the flaws in everything else you've said. I've been involved with a golf course architecture group for 15 years. You need a hell of a lot more than bunkers and nice turf to be considered a premium layout. There are tons of private courses around the area that have fabulous conditioning, but you won't find them on any top 20 lists, because they are average - at best - designs. So your "people judge" comment is total horseshit. People who actually know about these things judge golf courses on a lot more than it's condition. Look at Rock Hollow in Peru.....they struggle some with their conditioning, but the layout is great. As such, it's continually ranked in top 10-15 public courses in the state.

The IU course sucks ass. The greens are boring as hell, and totally forgettable. And nicer turf (which is impossible with all the trees anyway) would never make it good, regardless how many times you write your chicken-scratch excuses for posts.

I'm done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoops Cat

I think that an issue you would run into, regardless of what avenue you took towards renovation, is that the course is going to need to be completely torn up for purposes of adding a modern irrigation/drainage system. Given the fact that they are going to be taking the course down to the proverbial studs, it may be best to allow a modern course architect to come in, look at the existing layout and the specifics of the property, in order to build the best possible course on the property that can be around for decades, without needing major work.

I think that your suggestions offer more of a nip/tuck to the existing layout. If the course had a good irrigation/drainage system and was deemed to make best use of the land, I would say that adding length/water/bunkers may be the way to go. Given that they are taking the par 3 course (a waste of land) and turning that over to the championship course, it is probably the best strategy to get the best possible routing using the entire property, while modernizing the course for generations to come.

I agree that I hope that they maintain the unique look and feel of the IU course compared to other courses in that part of the state.

Reactions: RBB89 and twenty02
I think that an issue you would run into, regardless of what avenue you took towards renovation, is that the course is going to need to be completely torn up for purposes of adding a modern irrigation/drainage system. Given the fact that they are going to be taking the course down to the proverbial studs, it may be best to allow a modern course architect to come in, look at the existing layout and the specifics of the property, in order to build the best possible course on the property that can be around for decades, without needing major work.

I think that your suggestions offer more of a nip/tuck to the existing layout. If the course had a good irrigation/drainage system and was deemed to make best use of the land, I would say that adding length/water/bunkers may be the way to go. Given that they are taking the par 3 course (a waste of land) and turning that over to the championship course, it is probably the best strategy to get the best possible routing using the entire property, while modernizing the course for generations to come.

I agree that I hope that they maintain the unique look and feel of the IU course compared to other courses in that part of the state.

Have you guys ever been to Wolf Run? If you had, you wouldn't have any worry about Smyers making best use of the elevation and wooded areas. And he's got a much larger budget than he had there...I fully expect it to be something on that level of quality (which is held in very high regard nationally, just not in-state).

the renovations i discussed could be done for less than 10 mil, and it would be one of the elite university courses in the nation, and be in the current location.

and building a new champ course from scratch on a wooded piece of land could not be done nearly as cost effectively as the renovations i discussed.
You seriously have no idea what you're talking about. And Hoosier71 has been unbelievably patient and detailed in his explanations as to why your suggestions are poor.

You seriously have no idea what you're talking about. And Hoosier71 has been unbelievably patient and detailed in his explanations as to why your suggestions are poor.

you still didn't answer my question.

gee, i wonder why.

because i'm guessing you don't play golf, and/or have never played IU.

Reactions: C-$
Have you guys ever been to Wolf Run? If you had, you wouldn't have any worry about Smyers making best use of the elevation and wooded areas. And he's got a much larger budget than he had there...I fully expect it to be something on that level of quality (which is held in very high regard nationally, just not in-state).
I've never played Wolf. Always heard it held in high regard by some major players in the game. I don't have any worry about Smyers. Initially, I was underwhelmed, but I've definitely come around as I've seen some of the work he has done. Will be nice to have something to differentiate our golf course from the work Pete Dye did at Purdue.

I'm anxious to see what the final plan/routing will look like. One of those things that I have wanted to see for years and has been needed for a long time. Finally an opportunity for our golf programs to compete on a more even playing field and have a truly championship quality facility.

you still didn't answer my question.

gee, i wonder why.

because i'm guessing you don't play golf, and/or have never played IU.
I think everyone just needs to take it easy here. We're talking about the redesign of a golf course. We all can agree that this is badly needed. The beauty of golf course architecture is that different people have different opinions about what they like to see and are passionate about it.

I respect your opinion about how you would like to see the course redone. I just happen to think that they are taking the best tact, in the long run, for the facility and its longevity. Some people prefer the traditional look that the course offers, where I like some of the move avant garde work done by guys like Pete Dye and Mike Strantz. Plenty of room for everyone to sit at this table and discuss.

I think everyone just needs to take it easy here. We're talking about the redesign of a golf course. We all can agree that this is badly needed. The beauty of golf course architecture is that different people have different opinions about what they like to see and are passionate about it.

I respect your opinion about how you would like to see the course redone. I just happen to think that they are taking the best tact, in the long run, for the facility and its longevity. Some people prefer the traditional look that the course offers, where I like some of the move avant garde work done by guys like Pete Dye and Mike Strantz. Plenty of room for everyone to sit at this table and discuss.

It's just we've had this discussion several times before. The guy compares the IU course to Augusta....and is actually serious about it.....because.....they both have hills? Oh well.

It's just we've had this discussion several times before. The guy compares the IU course to Augusta....and is actually serious about it.....because.....they both have hills? Oh well.
I hear you. I don't really see the comparison myself, but there you go. You could maybe do something to look like an Augusta knock-off with bunkering and building of water hazards, but it'll just look like an Augusta knock-off. If IU wants to put the same maintenance budget into the course that Augusta puts into theirs, they can go right ahead, but I don't think there are too many people that would love the accompanying $200+ greens fees that would be required.

I would really like to see IU be a leader with this renovation. Minimize the maintained turfgrass, rebuild wetlands, have a minimal carbon footprint from the operation of the course, etc. Make a challenging, well-conditioned championship course that costs as little as possible to maintain and play as possible. Make a course that is fun and playable for beginners and challenging for professionals/college players. Build it in such a way as to facilitate 6, 9, 12, and 18 hole play, etc.

Reactions: twenty02
I hear you. I don't really see the comparison myself, but there you go. You could maybe do something to look like an Augusta knock-off with bunkering and building of water hazards, but it'll just look like an Augusta knock-off. If IU wants to put the same maintenance budget into the course that Augusta puts into theirs, they can go right ahead, but I don't think there are too many people that would love the accompanying $200+ greens fees that would be required.

I would really like to see IU be a leader with this renovation. Minimize the maintained turfgrass, rebuild wetlands, have a minimal carbon footprint from the operation of the course, etc. Make a challenging, well-conditioned championship course that costs as little as possible to maintain and play as possible. Make a course that is fun and playable for beginners and challenging for professionals/college players. Build it in such a way as to facilitate 6, 9, 12, and 18 hole play, etc.

I've looked closer at that proposed routing and where the hills are situated. I think it's going to create some amazing looking holes, with great elevation viewpoints from the tees.

Reactions: Hoosier71

yes, you need new irrigation and drainage. that's been mentioned many times, and is a given to have premium grass fairways and tees.

if you think that's near the expense or work of plowing under the current course and starting all over on an extremely heavily wooded track of land, that's absurd.

and while doing the improvement to the current layout would be substantially less expensive and time consuming, my main point is that that the new course won't be nearly as nice as renovating the existing course would be.

and yes, Wolf is highly thought of by many.

it's also disliked by many.

that said, i have no doubt a total redo will be a very nice course.

central Indiana if full of really nice courses, and this will be another that has a similar feel.

renovating the current layout and doing it right, would make for something really special, not just another nice central Indiana course with the same feel as all the others.

and let's not delude ourselves that SS's template is all that different from Dye's or a zillion other clones.

the new course formula has been mastered by many, but they all have a similar feel.

doesn't mean they don't have their place, or they aren't nice. i really like like some newer style courses..

nobody's building great old school feel courses anymore though, and again, renovating the current layout correctly would make for something really special and unique, and be a destination must play for those who can already get the boiler plate feel at many courses all over central Indiana now.

Didn't think about the dead ash trees. Our club took down over 200 in the last 2 years, at a cost of over $200k. And we didn't have near the trees that IU does...and that was a deal. Wouldn't surprise me if they spend $400-500k taking out dead trees. Plus they are a huge liability, we had huge limbs falling without notice, could have easily killed someone in wrong place at wrong time.

Reactions: Hoosier71 and RBB89
FWIW, I live in Bloomington and my group of golf friends rarely play IU and will travel 30-60 minutes to play anywhere else. Two Par 5s, three Par 3s, and the back 9 has eight Par 4s. Not fun to play and the course is pretty average.

I prefer to play the Par 3 course at IU, which is sadly going away.

Didn't think about the dead ash trees. Our club took down over 200 in the last 2 years, at a cost of over $200k. And we didn't have near the trees that IU does...and that was a deal. Wouldn't surprise me if they spend $400-500k taking out dead trees. Plus they are a huge liability, we had huge limbs falling without notice, could have easily killed someone in wrong place at wrong time.
I didn't think about that either.

FWIW, I live in Bloomington and my group of golf friends rarely play IU and will travel 30-60 minutes to play anywhere else. Two Par 5s, three Par 3s, and the back 9 has eight Par 4s. Not fun to play and the course is pretty average.

I prefer to play the Par 3 course at IU, which is sadly going away.

We didn't even play it much when I was in school. We'd drive out to Rolling Meadows most of the time, which back then was pretty nice. I had heard it ran into some trouble and went downhill?

We didn't even play it much when I was in school. We'd drive out to Rolling Meadows most of the time, which back then was pretty nice. I had heard it ran into some trouble and went downhill?

Yeah, we used to play Rolling Meadows quite often about 10+ years ago - short course and can score well. I played there a year or two ago and it wasn't in nearly as good shape as it used to be. I think they've closed a few times in the past five years and have gone through three different owners. My friend played there last week and said the conditions seem to be improving.

We usually play Eagle Pointe, Stonecrest, Hickory Stick, Country Oaks, or will make the drive down to French Lick to play the Ross course.

Before someone else replies.... Yes, I understand not all the courses listed are in the top tier of Indiana courses but I prefer to play them over IU any day of the week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT