ADVERTISEMENT

Vic Oladipo / Kawhi Leonard

edub72

Junior
Jan 17, 2018
A lot of ifs and could have been etc about this post . Could you imagine Vic / Kawhi on the same team in Indianapolis. A huge huge gaffe by Larry Bird in the draft. I forget all the specifics but I think the Pacers got George Hill instead??

A lot of ifs and could have been etc about this post . Could you imagine Vic / Kawhi on the same team in Indianapolis. A huge huge gaffe by Larry Bird in the draft. I forget all the specifics but I think the Pacers got George Hill instead??
In 2011, the Pacers drafted Kawhi Leonard and then traded him and two guys you've never heard of for Hill. I remember the story that Larry Bird's secretary told him something like, "It's time to bring George Hill home," so Bird pulled the trigger on the deal.

In 2011, the Pacers drafted Kawhi Leonard and then traded him and two guys you've never heard of for Hill. I remember the story that Larry Bird's secretary told him something like, "It's time to bring George Hill home," so Bird pulled the trigger on the deal.

Yeah, from what I know about Larry Bird, it seems entirely plausible that his sentimental secretary’s unsolicited musing was a key factor in his decision to trade away his 1st round draft pick to get a local kid back home.

These guys don’t have crystal balls...and sometimes their roster decisions turn up craps.

They drafted Leonard FOR San Antonio. This is a Dan Dakich level stupid take.

Larry was responsible for the team implosion in Detroit that destroyed a possible NBA champion. He kept Ron Artest around way longer than he should have and it blew up in his face, literally.

Larry Bird, amazing player, decent coach, sucky Pres.

Extraordinary athletes don't seem to make great executives very often. It is a different "feel". I wouldn't expect an astronaut to be good at teaching high school math.

The Pacers had no intention of drafting Leonard. They had someone else in mind. The Spurs came calling with the George Hill offer if the Pacers drafted Leonard for them. People need to let it go. Leonard was never going to be a Pacer.

regardless, the Pacers had him and let him go.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
regardless, the Pacers had him and let him go.
True, enough! When the Pacers traded Hill to Utah, they got Jeff Teague from Atlanta. They kept Teague for a year and then let him go in free agency. So, you could argue that there is no one on the roster who is here as a result of trading away Kawhi Leonard. And, surely, Leonard would still be a Pacer.
Probably wasn't the best series of moves in Pacer history.

Yeah, from what I know about Larry Bird, it seems entirely plausible that his sentimental secretary’s unsolicited musing was a key factor in his decision to trade away his 1st round draft pick to get a local kid back home.

These guys don’t have crystal balls...and sometimes their roster decisions turn up craps.
Let's be clear. George Hill is a good player. It's just that when you compare him to Leonard that we have a problem. George really seems like a good guy too which makes me wish he was a lot better. I pulled for him in the last series.

Reactions: i'vegotwinners
Well, we'll never know, will we?
Kawhi seems content to want to go home to LA. Guess we will find out in a month or so. If he leaves a team as good as the Raptors and a city such as Toronto to go home to LA, I think chances are quite high he'd of left Indy. PG13 may have never wanted to leave in that scenario either so maybe no VO.

Paul George would have stayed with the Pacers, so they never would have traded for Vic. PG only left because they couldn't put enough talent behind him. With PG, Leonard, and a decent big man protecting the rim (Hibbert in his prime or Turner) that would have been one of the best defensive teams of all time and a pretty good offensive team.

But the Pacers needed a point guard, so if they had kept the pick they probably would have drafted Iman Shumpert or someone.

Reactions: wchew200
Not near the gaffe taking Sam Bowie over Jordan.
That reshaped the NBA for 15 years..
In sams defense, he was never healthy. He played 10 years in the nba. You could say taking the dream over Jordan was a dumb move also. Yeah, he won 2 with drexler on his team, not too hard when you have another top 50 goat.

The Pacers had no intention of drafting Leonard. They had someone else in mind. The Spurs came calling with the George Hill offer if the Pacers drafted Leonard for them. People need to let it go. Leonard was never going to be a Pacer.

That’s of course how the Pacers executives will tell the story. But I was watching that draft night. That deal wasn’t made until much later in the night. Also if I’m an executive and the Spurs come calling to trade up which they never do. They tell you who they want, I’d start looking at that player really hard. The spurs would never give away who they were wanting to draft unless the deal was finalized. Which it wasn’t. But on the topic of Vic and the Klaw. It would have never happened. Bc had we kept KL. PG13 would have never left.

Reactions: ufo33
In sams defense, he was never healthy. He played 10 years in the nba. You could say taking the dream over Jordan was a dumb move also. Yeah, he won 2 with drexler on his team, not too hard when you have another top 50 goat.

After having started to coach Jordan for the ensuing ‘84 Olympics, RMK phoned up the Trailblazers’ GM and advised him to take Jordan with the 2nd pick. The GM said they really needed a center. Knight told him to still take Jordan and just play him at center...that there wasn’t a center in the league who would be better than Jordan at that or any other position.

You’re certainly right that Bowie’s career was derailed by his chronic injuries. But even if he’d have been completely healthy....

Of course, hindsight is 20/20 — especially when it comes to drafting in sports. Everybody knew Jordan would be great. But few suspected he’d become what he became.

Reactions: Wall2Boogie
After having started to coach Jordan for the ensuing ‘84 Olympics, RMK phoned up the Trailblazers’ GM and advised him to take Jordan with the 2nd pick. The GM said they really needed a center. Knight told him to still take Jordan and just play him at center...that there wasn’t a center in the league who would be better than Jordan at that or any other position.

You’re certainly right that Bowie’s career was derailed by his chronic injuries. But even if he’d have been completely healthy....

Of course, hindsight is 20/20 — especially when it comes to drafting in sports. Everybody knew Jordan would be great. But few suspected he’d become what he became.
It’s no different than taking Greg oden
Or darko over Carmelo.

That’s of course how the Pacers executives will tell the story. But I was watching that draft night. That deal wasn’t made until much later in the night. Also if I’m an executive and the Spurs come calling to trade up which they never do. They tell you who they want, I’d start looking at that player really hard. The spurs would never give away who they were wanting to draft unless the deal was finalized. Which it wasn’t. But on the topic of Vic and the Klaw. It would have never happened. Bc had we kept KL. PG13 would have never left.

The deal was probably announced later because it included another pick in Round 2 going from the pacers to Spurs. The Spurs used that pick on Bertans who has turned into a very nice role player for the spurs. I highly expect that it was agreed upon before the Pacers drafted and doubt that the deal was consumated after the Pacers drafted Kawhi with intent to keep him.

Paul George would have stayed with the Pacers, so they never would have traded for Vic. PG only left because they couldn't put enough talent behind him. With PG, Leonard, and a decent big man protecting the rim (Hibbert in his prime or Turner) that would have been one of the best defensive teams of all time and a pretty good offensive team.

But the Pacers needed a point guard, so if they had kept the pick they probably would have drafted Iman Shumpert or someone.
Thank god there is at least 1 guy that understand s this.

Remember when the Pacers were dumb enough to pick Reggie Miller and not Stevie Alfred? What a stupid pick...Alfred would have been lights out here. I'm sure Bobby would have left IU to coach the Pacers shortly after...starting a string of championships.

The Pacers are dumb.

If the money is right he will come.[/QUOTE
1. He won’t even take a meeting with the Pacers knowing they can and would offer every possible dime the league rules will allow.
2. Toronto can offer much more money
3. The Clippers can and will offer the same as the Pacers which is where he lives and wants to play.
4. He has half the league that would offer him what the Pacers can. The Pacers can offer him as much as anyone else in the league but 1 team. The fact that he isn’t coming here has NOTHING to do with money. It’s the same reason they have never got a big free agent, nobody wants to live in Indiana.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT