ADVERTISEMENT

Chicago Bears/NFL fans? What should they do?

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
Lifelong Bears fan here.

Trade Fields and draft Williams or Maye?

Keep Fields and draft Harrison Jr?

Keep Fields and trade top pick?

I think they're close to being a good to really good football team. And I think Fields can lead a playoff/Superbowl level team, if he has the right team and right approach around him. So I'd keep Fields if I were Poles. I think Poles deserves more time, by the way. He did a great job with last year's number 1 pick decision. And I think has built this team fairly well around Fields, to this point. Eberflus? Ehh, not sure on him. They've blown a number of leads late in games. I wouldn't be suprised if Poles stays, and Eberflus goes.

I think what they do with the number 1 pick then, depends on how the draft order ends up shaking out.

Marvin Harrison Jr is a can't miss elite WR. So a case could be made to draft him at 1. But I wouldn't do that. Fields is likely never going to be a guy that effectively spreads the ball around evenly to all receivers. They have an elite receiver already. And Mooney is a decent supporting receiver. I'm not sure you'd get the value out of both Moore and Harrison, with Fields as the QB. And I'm not sure they should push to play that way with Fields.

Assuming both the 2nd and 3rd picks are teams that will be needing QBs. Giants, Commanders, Patriots, Titans...maybe even the Cardinals. THEN, I think you smoke screen like they did last year by fully evaluating Williams and Maye. And then right before the draft, similar to last year, you trade the pick to the team picking 3rd (assuming the haul back is huge). Recent NFL exec polls indicate they'd get back at least what they got for last year's top pick, even if it were a trade with a fellow top 5 pick team...which is unheard of.

THEN...I'd seek out any teams that might be clamoring for Harrison Jr...Chargers and Jets are great candidates here I would think...and I'd trade that pick again...

If you could come out of it with the 7th or 8th pick, the 10th ish pick, AND some more future first and second rounders...I think that'd be a huge win. Use those early first round picks on best available OL, DL, secondary guys.

Or...Draft Williams and Trade Fields. Use the cap space to give Williams as good an offensive line as possible, and hopefully find him a couple good veteran receivers.

Thoughts? And apologies no pictures of any chicks in Bears apparel...

There's only one thing to do on when you're on the AOTF.

Celebrate the fans.

VXglvox.jpg

yHuapFo.jpg

4XUolrD.jpg

v0a2k6K.jpg

Lifelong Bears fan here.

I think they're close to being a good to really good football team. And I think Fields can lead a playoff/Superbowl level team, if he has the right team and right approach around him. So I'd keep Fields if I were Poles. I think Poles deserves more time, by the way. He did a great job with last year's number 1 pick decision. And I think has built this team fairly well around Fields, to this point. Eberflus? Ehh, not sure on him. They've blown a number of leads late in games. I wouldn't be suprised if Poles stays, and Eberflus goes.

I think what they do with the number 1 pick then, depends on how the draft order ends up shaking out.

Marvin Harrison Jr is a can't miss elite WR. So a case could be made to draft him at 1. But I wouldn't do that. Fields is likely never going to be a guy that effectively spreads the ball around evenly to all receivers. They have an elite receiver already. And Mooney is a decent supporting receiver. I'm not sure you'd get the value out of both Moore and Harrison, with Fields as the QB. And I'm not sure they should push to play that way with Fields.

Assuming both the 2nd and 3rd picks are teams that will be needing QBs. Giants, Commanders, Patriots, Titans...maybe even the Cardinals. THEN, I think you smoke screen like they did last year by fully evaluating Williams and Maye. And then right before the draft, similar to last year, you trade the pick to the team picking 3rd (assuming the haul back is huge). Recent NFL exec polls indicate they'd get back at least what they got for last year's top pick, even if it were a trade with a fellow top 5 pick team...which is unheard of.

THEN...I'd seek out any teams that might be clamoring for Harrison Jr...Chargers and Jets are great candidates here I would think...and I'd trade that pick again...

If you could come out of it with the 7th or 8th pick, the 10th ish pick, AND some more future first and second rounders...I think that'd be a huge win. Use those early first round picks on best available OL, DL, secondary guys.

Or...Draft Williams and Trade Fields. Use the cap space to give Williams as good an offensive line as possible, and hopefully find him a couple good veteran receivers.

Firstly, you have my condolences for being a lifelong Bears fan. That is akin to being a lifelong colonoscopy fan or a lifelong masturbation with sandpaper fan.

As for Fields, his production these first 3 years is fairly pedestrian. In this age of Tecmo Bowl numbers being put up by fairly average QB's, he has managed around 225 YPG (total passing/rushing) and a 1.7 to1 TD to TO rate (also passing/rushing). while being sacked 3.2 times per game. I don't have your confidence that he is a guy who can lead a a playoff caliber team to the promised land. Granted, alot of that could be a product of playing for the Bears. I think he, Poles and Eberflus are back next year TBH. I think it's to early to pull the plug on this build/rebuild as the GM and Coach are 2 seasons in and the QB is 3 seasons in. So trade down, stock up on picks (for this year if you can) and make the best case possible for the HC, GM and QB in 2024.

My ideal scenario would be to keep Fields and do a trade down.

#1 to Vegas for #11, 2024 2nd rounder, 2025 1st rounder, 2026 2nd rounder, DE Max Crosby. Draft WR Odunze at #10, DT Newton at #11, best safety in the 3rd round, IOL with both 4th round picks.

Or, trade down for the 3rd pick, 2024 2nd rounder, 2025 2nd rounder. Draft Harrison with the 3rd pick and the QB you like for Fields insurance with the 10th pick (Daniels, Penix, Nix). Trade the 2nd round pick for one of the Commanders excess of DE’s (Huff or Johnson). Take a safety in the 3rd, IOL in the 4th.

Trade down to Atlanta for #9, 2024 2nd rounder, 2025 1st rounder, 2026 2nd rounder, S-Jesse Bates.

In all scenarios, I would sign a Center, and either a DE or safety in free agency. Either sign a TE or draft one in the 4th round. Definitely re-sign Jaylon Johnson.

Last edited:
Lifelong Bears fan here.

I'm coming around on Fields. Only problem is consistency. High highs and low lows. I am admittedly a flip flopper on him and my opinion changes week to week. What has really helped him in my eyes has been his teammates confidence in him, Moore loves him and so do most of the others. He is a good guy and works hard. I don't think a running QB is sustainable in the NFL and his strength will eventually become a weakness so he really needs to work on his passing and getting rid of the ball. Overzealous Fields defenders blame his oline, but the guy has had time, he just doesn't pull the trigger fast enough which is an issue.

At this point, I think the Bears should keep him and draft MHJ. Stock pile picks, try to develop Fields and if he stinks next year then we will have a decent pick in the draft and have stock piled picks from Poles various moves. Fields isn't paid that much right now and they could potentially franchise him for a year (or two)/ Not ideal, but it gives them time.

One thing is for certain, I will be in Green Bay this weekend for my first ever Bears at Packers game and I hope he crushes their playoff dreams. Bears.

I'm coming around on Fields. Only problem is consistency. High highs and low lows. I am admittedly a flip flopper on him and my opinion changes week to week. What has really helped him in my eyes has been his teammates confidence in him, Moore loves him and so do most of the others. He is a good guy and works hard. I don't think a running QB is sustainable in the NFL and his strength will eventually become a weakness so he really needs to work on his passing and getting rid of the ball. Overzealous Fields defenders blame his oline, but the guy has had time, he just doesn't pull the trigger fast enough which is an issue.

At this point, I think the Bears should keep him and draft MHJ. Stock pile picks, try to develop Fields and if he stinks next year then we will have a decent pick in the draft and have stock piled picks from Poles various moves. Fields isn't paid that much right now and they could potentially franchise him for a year (or two)/ Not ideal, but it gives them time.

One thing is for certain, I will be in Green Bay this weekend for my first ever Bears at Packers game and I hope he crushes their playoff dreams. Bears.
I don’t think Williams will be any better than Fields in the NFL. Trade the pick.

Reactions: kkott and IUNorth

Obviously Harrison wouldn’t be a terrible pick at 3 or lower. I just don’t think Fields is capable, yet, of fully utilizing both Harrison and Moore.

This team was 2-3 late game blown leads away from being a solid playoff team. Give them/Fields 3-4 starter level players on the lines and the secondary…and it’s not outlandish to think they would push for 10+ wins next year. And they’d have draft capital in the next couple drafts too.

The flip side to all of this…if they do feel strongly that Williams is as good as many experts are saying he is…AND if you’re comfortable he won’t be a diva/douche bag… then draft him. And use the remaining draft picks and your cap space to get him a couple more elite offensive lineman and one more veteran WR.

Reactions: Tony Warwick
Obviously Harrison wouldn’t be a terrible pick at 3 or lower. I just don’t think Fields is capable, yet, of fully utilizing both Harrison and Moore.

This team was 2-3 late game blown leads away from being a solid playoff team. Give them/Fields 3-4 starter level players on the lines and the secondary…and it’s not outlandish to think they would push for 10+ wins next year. And they’d have draft capital in the next couple drafts too.

The flip side to all of this…if they do feel strongly that Williams is as good as many experts are saying he is…AND if you’re comfortable he won’t be a diva/douche bag… then draft him. And use the remaining draft picks and your cap space to get him a couple more elite offensive lineman and one more veteran WR.
Williams has already alluded to wanting ownership in the team that drafts him. Are you effing kidding me? That and his social media comments makes me think the guy is toxic. I'd pass.

Not a Bears fan, but I think that if they go from Fields to another QB with the first pick, they are re-starting their team offensively and it will set them back another 3 years.
I would trade the pick, trade down and get OL Joe Alt from ND and Harrison Oh St WR.

Last edited:
Lifelong Bears fan here.

They should move out of Chicago. Actually, everyone should! The St. Louis Bears!

Reactions: hookyIU1990
They should move out of Chicago. Actually, everyone should! The St. Louis Bears!
I thought the Arlington Bears had a nice ring to it, but read something around the Thanksgiving time frame that said the were considering building a new stadium very near Soldier Field.

Lifelong Bears fan here.

Bears fan here. I feel like they made a huge mistake keeping Eberflus.

The draft situation/Fields is a very tough decision. I am in the camp of moving on from Fields and drafting Caleb. But a really good trade for the first pick could stock the roster with many players and they need a bunch. They need a safety, edge rusher, offensive line including center and another receiver. No team in the NFL, other than the Browns has been mismanaged for so long. My skepticism of anything they do is going to be hard to shake. I lived in the Chicago area during the 1985-86 Super Bowl season so I will always have that memory. This off-season could get the Bears back into contention. If they get it right.

Ehh, my gut says move on from Fields. If he’s not a stud by now, odds are he’s never gonna be one. And with the great ones, you know right away. I knew Mahomes was going to be great when I watched his first start in the last game of his rookie year. You can just tell.

I don’t know anything about Williams or Maye or any of the other prospects but I think you have to take a long hard look at them.

Reactions: Morrison
Take Marvin Harrison Jr. then hope you can also get the 3rd QB, Daniels from LSU.

If you can't get Danlels, take one of the top offensive tackles and ride with Fields another year. Gotta protect whatever QB you go with, call it the Andrew Luck principle.

I think Harrison is going to be even better than his father and maybe reach Randy Moss levels, and he doesn't appear to be a head case

After watching Jordan Love yesterday it became clear the Bears have to move on from Fields. If the rumors are true and teams are offering the Bears a first round draft pick for him they would be insane not to.

The Bears should Draft Williams at one. The Washington WR at their next pick. OL the rest of the draft.

OK...changed my mind already... I'm glad I'm not the Bears GM...

Jordan Love has opened my mind a little bit on the importance of having a quarterback that can make plays with his arm. He literally looks like Aaron Rodgers right now. Which, as a Bears fan, should be a very somber development.

Its sounding more and more like Fields could garner a pretty high first round pick, Atlanta's 8th pick I've seen rumored to be in play. If that's true, really if any first round pick for Fields is true, you have to make that move if you're Poles.

So...

Fully vet Williams, Maye, and even Daniels. If you end up grading Maye as high or higher than Williams, consider trading down to Washington...you won't get a ton back, as they'd probably have similar grades, but you could build your draft depth for certain, and still get the 2nd pick, and get your franchise QB.

If, however, Williams is, in fact, head and shoulders above everyone else, as many experts are saying...then you have to draft him at 1.

Trade Fields to Atlanta for 8.

And get to work using your draft picks, and your cap space, to build an elite offensive line, bolster your D Line and secondary, and go find a veteran 1-2 receiver.

You might also consider Brock Bowers with the 8th or 9th pick. Most have him graded as one of the better TE prospects to ever come in to the NFL. He could be as much of a weapon for Williams as Harrison Jr would have been...maybe more so, with the Bears already having Moore as a go to WR.

You have to come out of this draft with someone that in the next couple years, will likely be more able to win games with his arm...is my point. Because the Bears aren't going to beat/overtake the Packers any time soon without someone like that.

Reactions: tbone6004
Lifelong Bears fan here.

Trade Fields. Sign Cousins. Trade 1 to Washington and draft Maye 2.

4 days out...I still think the BEST decision is to trade down a couple times and accumulate massive amounts of draft capital.

Trade to Washington...give them 1, and a late round pick...get 2, 2nd rounder, and next year 1. They'll take Williams or Maye. Assuming the pick next year is unrestricted, you could be getting a top 5 pick next year out of it.

Trade to New England...give them 2, and 2/3 round this year...get 3, 2nd round this year, and next year 1. They'll take either Williams or Maye. Same as above, next year's pick could then be top 5 level.

Trade to New York Giants...give them 3...get 6, and next years 1. They'll take Daniels. Same as above, next year's pick could be solid, not likely top 5, but probably not late first round either.

Cardinals will take lineman or one of the elite 3 receivers

Chargers will take one of the elite 3 receivers.

Bears take remaining elite receiver at 6 (Harrison, Nabers, Odunze)

The risk here is the Titans taking McCarthy. But most think they'll draft off QB.

Falcons will draft off QB.

Bears take McCarthy at 9.

Should have a couple/few 2-4 round picks...bolster OL and DL's with those picks.

Sign a veteran QB to compete with McCarthy.

Having typed all this out...I'm sure they're taking Williams.

Reactions: outside shooter
4 days out...I still think the BEST decision is to trade down a couple times and accumulate massive amounts of draft capital.

Trade to Washington...give them 1, and a late round pick...get 2, 2nd rounder, and next year 1. They'll take Williams or Maye. Assuming the pick next year is unrestricted, you could be getting a top 5 pick next year out of it.

Trade to New England...give them 2, and 2/3 round this year...get 3, 2nd round this year, and next year 1. They'll take either Williams or Maye. Same as above, next year's pick could then be top 5 level.

Trade to New York Giants...give them 3...get 6, and next years 1. They'll take Daniels. Same as above, next year's pick could be solid, not likely top 5, but probably not late first round either.

The risk here is the Titans taking McCarthy. But most think they'll draft off QB.

Should have a couple/few 2-4 round picks...bolster OL and DL's with those picks.

Passing on Williams for McCarthy is ridiculous. It’s a moot point like you said, it will be Williams. But that’s just silly talk what you wrote.

People get so engrossed in “building the roster” it’s silly. You need an elite Quarterback to win a superbowl, and there’s no justification for thinking McCarthy has a better chance of being a Top 5 QB than Williams.

Reactions: sluggo69

First, they're taking Williams. It's a moot point.

Second, this year is a fertile year, with top rated QBs, WR, and OT. Next year's draft is being predicted as not so great. So it wouldn't make sense to load up on a bunch of picks next year at a cost of this year's.

Third, McCarthy at 9 is WAAAAAAAY too high. I'd prefer Penix if he falls to the 2nd.

Fourth, the haul with Washington I've seen would include 2, their 25 first, and both their second rounders and their 3rd or 4th. I would actually do that if possible, take Drake Maye at 2 and then try to trade back up to get a great OT or MHJr or Nabors.

I'll stake out my ground: I think Maye will be as good or better than Williams.

They’re taking Williams and I’m perfectly fine with that now. You can’t keep kicking the can down the road on a QB, and I’ve come around on Williams. I think McCarthy may be getting way too much love and hype leading up to the draft.

Poles loves to trade down, but at some point you need to stay put and draft premium players at premium positions. Accumulating picks and drafting more decent players at the expense of great players won’t get you far, unless you think you’re the smartest guy in the room (which all GM’s think, btw). Keep in mind that teams are willing to give up those picks to move up, so why are we always willing to move down instead of picking a great player?

This draft is supposedly a 4 round draft, with not much talent in rounds 5-7, because of NIL money keeping players in school. I would probably trade down a bit in the first round using the 9th pick to pick up a 2nd rounder. I’d be fine with say picks 1, 15, 46, 75, 122. You could get a QB, Edge, WR, DL, OL or TE with those picks. I think I’d put the Carolina 2nd rounder in 2025 in play this year for the right deal-a stand alone for a 2nd this year, or in a trade up for Alt or Harrison.

I hope Poles don’t go crazy and trade down from 75 two or three times to collect more picks in rounds 5-7, but he may not be able to help himself.

They’re taking Williams and I’m perfectly fine with that now. You can’t keep kicking the can down the road on a QB, and I’ve come around on Williams. I think McCarthy may be getting way too much love and hype leading up to the draft.

Poles loves to trade down, but at some point you need to stay put and draft premium players at premium positions. Accumulating picks and drafting more decent players at the expense of great players won’t get you far, unless you think you’re the smartest guy in the room (which all GM’s think, btw). Keep in mind that teams are willing to give up those picks to move up, so why are we always willing to move down instead of picking a great player?

This draft is supposedly a 4 round draft, with not much talent in rounds 5-7, because of NIL money keeping players in school. I would probably trade down a bit in the first round using the 9th pick to pick up a 2nd rounder. I’d be fine with say picks 1, 15, 46, 75, 122. You could get a QB, Edge, WR, DL, OL or TE with those picks. I think I’d put the Carolina 2nd rounder in 2025 in play this year for the right deal-a stand alone for a 2nd this year, or in a trade up for Alt or Harrison.

I hope Poles don’t go crazy and trade down from 75 two or three times to collect more picks in rounds 5-7, but he may not be able to help himself.
I agree a lot with this, but we ain't trading up to get MHJ with a '25 second.

Poles loves trading away our 2nd rounders though. I've always heard they are the best value picks in the draft. Wish he'd pay attention to that.

Reactions: Morrison
I agree a lot with this, but we ain't trading up to get MHJ with a '25 second.

Poles loves trading away our 2nd rounders though. I've always heard they are the best value picks in the draft. Wish he'd pay attention to that.
Yep. If Poles wants a 2nd this year, which I’m sure he does, he’ll probably need to package the 9th pick with the 2025 Carolina 2nd to get it. Something along the lines of #9, Carolina 2025 2nd for Indy’s #15, #46, #117.

A whole lot of trade down scenarios exist if one of the top receivers are there at #9 and Poles doesn’t want to draft him. I can see that only because Shane Waldron didn’t utilize 3 receivers that much. He loves him some 2 and 3 tight end sets. Bears may just take Bowers for themselves because of that. Unlimited scenarios, so should be interesting.

Yep. If Poles wants a 2nd this year, which I’m sure he does, he’ll probably need to package the 9th pick with the 2025 Carolina 2nd to get it. Something along the lines of #9, Carolina 2025 2nd for Indy’s #15, #46, #117.

A whole lot of trade down scenarios exist if one of the top receivers are there at #9 and Poles doesn’t want to draft him. I can see that only because Shane Waldron didn’t utilize 3 receivers that much. He loves him some 2 and 3 tight end sets. Bears may just take Bowers for themselves because of that. Unlimited scenarios, so should be interesting.
I wouldn't mind Bowers at all.

First, they're taking Williams. It's a moot point.

Second, this year is a fertile year, with top rated QBs, WR, and OT. Next year's draft is being predicted as not so great. So it wouldn't make sense to load up on a bunch of picks next year at a cost of this year's.

Third, McCarthy at 9 is WAAAAAAAY too high. I'd prefer Penix if he falls to the 2nd.

Fourth, the haul with Washington I've seen would include 2, their 25 first, and both their second rounders and their 3rd or 4th. I would actually do that if possible, take Drake Maye at 2 and then try to trade back up to get a great OT or MHJr or Nabors.

I'll stake out my ground: I think Maye will be as good or better than Williams.
If the Washington haul is THAT big, it almost forces your hand, I would think. No one is that much of a can't miss, that you pass up that level of return...to drop down 1 spot.

But they're taking Williams...so...can/will they use 9 and next year's capital to get back up and get either Harrison or Nabers? Can they get one of the big 3 receivers at 9? Tons of smoke that McCarthy will be off the board before Minnesota's expected pick at 11. That'd likely mean 4 out of the first 8 picks are QBs. Alt will go to someone top 8, I would think. Anyone else get picked top 8 to allow for Odunze or Nabers to drop to 9?

I'm looking forward to tomorrow night as much as any sporting event in recent memory. I have a feeling it's going to be a crazy night. Hope Poles has a good night!

Reactions: sluggo69
If the Washington haul is THAT big, it almost forces your hand, I would think. No one is that much of a can't miss, that you pass up that level of return...to drop down 1 spot.

But they're taking Williams...so...can/will they use 9 and next year's capital to get back up and get either Harrison or Nabers? Can they get one of the big 3 receivers at 9? Tons of smoke that McCarthy will be off the board before Minnesota's expected pick at 11. That'd likely mean 4 out of the first 8 picks are QBs. Alt will go to someone top 8, I would think. Anyone else get picked top 8 to allow for Odunze or Nabers to drop to 9?

I'm looking forward to tomorrow night as much as any sporting event in recent memory. I have a feeling it's going to be a crazy night. Hope Poles has a good night!
I woudn't mind if they traded back from 9. But I also wouldn't mind if they took Turner, Odunze, or Alt. And one of those three should be there.

I woudn't mind if they traded back from 9. But I also wouldn't mind if they took Turner, Odunze, or Alt. And one of those three should be there.
I almost prefer Odunze to Nabers. Scouts say a more polished route runner and we don’t have to worry about him bringing a gun around.

I’ve heard each of these three receivers would be #1 in most years.

But if Alt is there. I think it foolish not to take him.

Reactions: BradStevens
I agree it looks very cool. Would prefer a retractable roof.

The bigger question is: who is going to PAY for it?
It looks cool for sure. I would have preferred architecture that more closely matches Soldier field, and the museums... but obviously something can be said for having it completely unique and different. Kinda looks like the shape of "The Bean"...

There was a concept and rendering a while back that tied a Museum area stadium with a big transit hub and retail area. Thinking about parking, and ways to actually get in and out of that area...seems like that transit hub concept had some merit.

Reactions: BradStevens
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT