ADVERTISEMENT

Vaccine Shaming

All suburban schools for the most part around me have been open most of the year. The middle and high schools have their occasional flare ups resulting in a one week shutdown but the elementarys have been chugging along. The city schools - with their billion dollar budget (not exaggerating) haven’t opened yet. What a failure.
We havent missed a damn day...other than for snow.
As you say, some of these places are failures

... if the rest of population gets vaccinated, it seems logical they will be the only ones at risk.
Some people cannot get vaccinated. Transplant recipients, cancer patients, people with autoimmune disorders, people with severe allergies...

They are the ones relying on herd immunity being reached, with them not being vaccinated. They are put at risk by people refusing to be vaccinated.

Note which group is taking the fewest precautions

If my post inferred there was only one group acting recklessly, that’s on me. The kids on spring break are clearly reckless. Much like the older Trump fan, they are juvenile and self entitled. They just want to do what they want to do. We need to become a serious country that expects adults to behave like adults.

606333efc9d73b00186e920c

Had she ever worn a mask prior to this moment?
From what I can tell from this photo she's been asked by others to wear a mask.

If my post inferred there was only one group acting recklessly, that’s on me. The kids on spring break are clearly reckless. Much like the older Trump fan, they are juvenile and self entitled. They just want to do what they want to do. We need to become a serious country that expects adults to behave like adults.
My wife talks about how the people who bitch about wearing a mask are entitled and stupid, It's hard to argue with her.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
I personally have no problem with you deciding what is best for you and your family, regarding the vaccine. There may be risks out there that we are not aware of, or may not know for some time. That being said, I also have no problem with United Airlines saying you must be fully vaccinated to get on one of their airplanes.
I do. It's none of their ****ing business. And I intend on getting the vaccine.

nOw THAT would be the personal choice part of it. If you are ok with the risk. The science says that as a vaccinated person I can carry and pass on without becoming ill. If we don't get to herd immunity risk remains. I have the right to know who is and who is not...becuse it affects me.
No, you don't.

How DARE people demand that I not drink and drive. It's MY decision what legal substances, like alcohol, to put in my body and when. It is a FREE country!
That goes beyond having the right to control what you put into your body.

[QUOTE="Spartans9312, post: 3177650, member:]
The excuses for keeping schools closed this fall are disintegrating
[/QUOTE]
Has anyone seriously claimed that schools shouldn't open this fall?

Reactions: IU_Hickory
I would really appreciate the board's thoughts on vaccine shaming. Prior to the vaccine being available, mask shaming was, and remains, a very prevalent issue throughout our society.

To be clear, I have zero issues with any of the available vaccines. I fully support each person's decision to either receive the vaccine or to not receive the vaccine. I will always be a firm believer in a person's healthcare decisions being a private matter and not something that is up for discussion unless that person so chooses.

Unfortunately for me, my wife's family has been pushing me and her to receive the vaccine. Upon learning that we are holding off for now, they were mortified and began lecturing us on why that is a terrible decision. Quite frankly, our decision is none of their business, just as their healthcare decisions are none of our business. We are the only family members remaining who have NOT received the vaccine. We do not have any individuals within either of our families who are in the at-risk category.

To be clear, we have gone out of our way to adhere to the health and safety protocols outlined by the CDC. We have also made a conscious effort to stay away from elderly people as well as those with pre-existing conditions. I'll gladly wear a mask and maintain social distancing when required.

Thoughts?
Wait and see who has the biggest family you or them.

Must have missed the constitutional right to be allowed onto an airplane.....

Desantis and this new GOP position that freedom means telling a private businesses they can’t hang a “no shirt no shoes no service” sign is a little mind bending.

Must have missed the constitutional right to be allowed onto an airplane.....

Thanks fascist. Can we get a badge for anyone with hepatitis or HIV as well? What if they get a cut and somehow I come in contact with it? The flu kills, I guess I am going to need a flu shot and proof you are up to date on that vaccine before I can let you on the plane? Have not had time to do that yet? Tough shit. Sucks to be you.

All bow to our corporate masters. Do I need to get a physical before I can buy a ****ing apple? Our health information is no concern of McDonalds or Kroger. We have been allowed on flights for decades with no issues without having to show our papers. Why the **** is this very survivable virus now a lynchpin for handing over private information to United Airlines? Its. None. Of. Their. ****ing. Business.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Thanks fascist. Can we get a badge for anyone with hepatitis or HIV as well? What if they get a cut and somehow I come in contact with it? The flu kills, I guess I am going to need a flu shot and proof you are up to date on that vaccine before I can let you on the plane? Have not had time to do that yet? Tough shit. Sucks to be you.

All bow to our corporate masters. Do I need to get a physical before I can buy a ****ing apple? Our health information is no concern of McDonalds or Kroger. We have been allowed on flights for decades with no issues without having to show our papers. Why the **** is this very survivable virus now a lynchpin for handing over private information to United Airlines? Its. None. Of. Their. ****ing. Business.
I think if they say it is, it is.

Desantis and this new GOP position that freedom means telling a private businesses they can’t hang a “no shirt no shoes no service” sign is a little mind bending.
Freedom and privacy are not new. Businesses just used to respect that people were allowed their own ****ing space before you dumbasses decided that anyone and everyone has the right to know everything about you.

Where do I get to draw the line of how intrusive a business gets to be against me before I can enter? Our health information is not necessary to buy a shirt at the GAP. Much more severe viruses have been floating around this planet for thousands of years and no need to prove you were not a carrier before stepping on a plane.

"It is not a big deal, it's just a shot and they have a right to refuse service." Bull shit. If you cannot tell the difference between handing over medical information to the ****ing teenager across the counter for a Big Mac and not wearing shirts or shoes, there is no help for you.

Freedom and privacy are not new. Businesses just used to respect that people were allowed their own ****ing space before you dumbasses decided that anyone and everyone has the right to know everything about you.

Where do I get to draw the line of how intrusive a business gets to be against me before I can enter? Our health information is not necessary to buy a shirt at the GAP. Much more severe viruses have been floating around this planet for thousands of years and no need to prove you were not a carrier before stepping on a plane.

"It is not a big deal, it's just a shot and they have a right to refuse service." Bull shit. If you cannot tell the difference between handing over medical information to the ****ing teenager across the counter for a Big Mac and not wearing shirts or shoes, there is no help for you.
Wait...you buy your shirts at the GAP?

You are free to not solicit a business if you don’t like it’s rules.

Nice civil responses here.

Immunization cards have been needed for certain international travel for years, for things such as yellow fever. Also has long been required by colleges, schools, etc....

Find another hill to die on there, Ayn. Or don't, and enjoy driving or buy your own plane. It's a free country, after all.

Reactions: Timmy! and DrHoops
You are free to not solicit a business if you don’t like it’s rules.

Nice civil responses here.

There will be no civility when this kind of intrusion into people's personal business is involved. We are all owed a right to privacy and the idea that government or business should have the right to take that from anyone should be something we are all against.

The government relying on businesses to enforce rules that they could not enforce is not the social compact I agreed to. You junior totalitarians are going to willfully go into the abyss.

There will be no civility when this kind of intrusion into people's personal business is involved. We are all owed a right to privacy and the idea that government or business should have the right to take that from anyone should be something we are all against.

The government relying on businesses to enforce rules that they could not enforce is not the social compact I agreed to. You junior totalitarians are going to willfully go into the abyss.
Wrong hill sir.

Taking the debate about airlines (or other items) in a different direction, suppose someone had the flu, should they be allowed to board a plane, attend a basketball game, or whatever without disclosing it? Do people have a right to willfully infect others? Who has the compelling right, person A to travel while sick or person B to travel without getting sick?

Reactions: NPT

The totalitarians have lost a lot of power, read this article about the smallpox vaccine. The police literally held people down and they were vaccinated. People with smallpox were taken, by force if necessary, to quarantine.

Doubtless those are too far, but smallpox killed millions over the years. When does society have the right to tell a person they present a serious risk to the health of others?

The totalitarians have lost a lot of power, read this article about the smallpox vaccine. The police literally held people down and they were vaccinated. People with smallpox were taken, by force if necessary, to quarantine.

Doubtless those are too far, but smallpox killed millions over the years. When does society have the right to tell a person they present a serious risk to the health of others?
Is this some of that MAGA I heard so much about?

Typhoid Mary

Taking the debate about airlines (or other items) in a different direction, suppose someone had the flu, should they be allowed to board a plane, attend a basketball game, or whatever without disclosing it? Do people have a right to willfully infect others? Who has the compelling right, person A to travel while sick or person B to travel without getting sick?
That is a difficult question. I think some of it depends on person A's illness. I'd almost guarantee you that everyone on here has went to work with the common cold and infected other people either directly or indirectly. However, COVID is more deadly than the flu or common cold no matter how many people want to label it as just another disease similar to the flu. Just looking at the graph below anyone can see that there have been a lot more deaths than normal.
Just from the standpoint of human decency I would not want to go out in public with the virus and maybe infect someone who might die BUT if I just had a common cold that would not keep me home.

Screenshot-2021-03-31-141633.jpg

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I do. It's none of their ****ing business. And I intend on getting the vaccine.
Maybe it is not their business, and you don't have to fly with them either. The airlines can keep people from flying on their planes for any number of reasons. You do not have the absolute right to board a United Airlines aircraft.
We (on the right) thought a few years ago that a baker has the right to deny baking a cake for someone based on their sexual preference ( I still do, BTW, which puts me in the minority here, I know), but you don't think United has a right to deny a certain customer for public safety reasons, in what amounts to the biggest public health event in a century?

Who they let on their plane is their business

I had my covid. Vaccination, I am over 70 and believed it was the prudent thing to do. I personally have no idea whether or not the vaccines actually work but, they say they do, and the best evidence indicates they're right.

I do not care one way or another what you choose to do with one caveat: As long as your decision does not in danger others that have no say in your decision;

I know people who will not be vaccinated. Some have logical reasons, some are stupid and ignorant. I do not argue with either. If one of them dies because of their choice, so be it. It's the people that they come intact with that concern me. But if the rest of population gets vaccinated, it seems logical they will be the only one's at risk.

I think this is the fundamental difference between conservative and liberals. A liberal thinks he/she know what's best for other people and demands they do it. A conservative says, if it doesn't concern me or mine, the decision is yours.

With the caveat that 'freedom' has to fit within a certain religious or shall I say 'Christian western' culture as Tucker calls it while winking at the camera.

At that level there is less personal freedom, it's the order of things and if you comply to that belief system then yes, you have freedom.

...handing over private information to United Airlines? Its. None. Of. Their. ****ing. Business.
It is their business to avoid needlessly facilitating the deaths of their customers. You have no right to use their business and say "F**K their rules"

Is it none of the cops business whether you have been drinking or not, before you get behind the wheel?

It is their business to avoid needlessly facilitating the deaths of their customers. You have no right to use their business and say "F**K their rules"

Is it none of the cops business whether you have been drinking or not, before you get behind the wheel?

As cray cray would say "F**K their rules"

Immunization cards have been needed for certain international travel for years, for things such as yellow fever. Also has long been required by colleges, schools, etc....

Find another hill to die on there, Ayn. Or don't, and enjoy driving or buy your own plane. It's a free country, after all.
Hey! It’s no one’s business if I have Ebola and get on this packed airplane!

Reactions: IU_Hickory
Hey! It’s no one’s business if I have Ebola and get on this packed airplane!
Good point.

Along the same lines, what about people with STD's who exercise their freedom of pleasuring themselves without regard for others ?

We the People elect people to pass laws and to protect us in national emergencies while others can refuse to obey on the libertarian grounds of personal freedom trumping government authority. Heck, we are all libertarians to some degree and in respect to some government edicts and laws.

Laws and personal freedom will always be in conflict with our courts often being the decider.. Not necessarily the final decider, however, as laws and court rulings do change and are overturned.

Last edited:
With the caveat that 'freedom' has to fit within a certain religious or shall I say 'Christian western' culture as Tucker calls it while winking at the camera.

At that level there is less personal freedom, it's the order of things and if you comply to that belief system then yes, you have freedom.
Being an agnostic (at best) for many years, I'm not sure what you are talking about. While I try to respect people's religious views, I do not give a opinion based upon religion more credibility than any other point of view. What are you trying to say?

Being an agnostic (at best) for many years, I'm not sure what you are talking about. While I try to respect people's religious views, I do not give a opinion based upon religion more credibility than any other point of view. What are you trying to say?

I think he is saying that some people that have issue with govt telling them what to do in some instances are fine with the govt telling people what to do if it is based on their religious beliefs. For example, they are against mask mandates but they are fine with the govt telling gay people they can't marry because it is agreeable with their religious beliefs

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT