ADVERTISEMENT

Vaccine Shaming

Yeah,,, the air on a plane is actually exchanged with fresh air every 2-4 minutes and it's run thru HEPA filters. Besides that the circulation is not like a house where the air is circulated throughout the plane. Of course there is bleed over air but it's mainly circulated within a row.
8585768487f44cc78ad8df8f3ae98367.jpeg

Exactly

I appreciate your willingness to adhere to safety protocols. That’s huge. I’m in TX, and let’s just say there are severely uninformed people here when it comes to respecting others during this pandemic.

I’d like to ask you a question. What’s the reason for your hesitation? To have a better discussion, it would be helpful to know more about why you’re hesitant. I totally understand why folks are hesitant. It’s brand new technology, and it was developed REALLY fast.

I’ve got pictures on my phone of normal lungs vs smokers lungs vs COVID lungs. The COVID lungs are off the charts nasty.

Whenever someone says they’re hesitant about the vaccine, I show them the pictures. I don’t say anything else- the pictures tell the story.

If you haven’t researched what COVID does to a person, I’d suggest you do that right now. Especially if you’re eligible now to receive the vaccine.

Start with checking out pictures/scans of lungs.

Not only that, but even a mild case of COVID can produce “long haul” symptoms. Basically all kinds of weird chit starts happening to your body, and there’s no real rhyme or reason to what happens. Perfectly healthy people pre-COVID have become essentially disabled after having it.

That’s exactly why I got vaccinated as soon as I was eligible. I’m around too many people all the time to take chances. Either spreading COVID unknowingly or bringing it home to my family were risks I just couldn’t take. I’m super careful and have a several protocols to keep from contracting COVID.

Full disclosure- the first shot gave me headaches. I never have headaches. The second shot gave me chills & flu-like symptoms. Turns out those responses are actually a great thing- my body was producing antibodies against COVID. Quite frankly, I would’ve been worried that the vaccine didn’t “take” if I felt perfectly fine after the shots. I’m quite sure it “took” ;).

Both of those (temporary) responses were WELL worth it to avoid having COVID and what comes with it immediately and potentially down the road.

I know that the vaccines were developed very quickly, and that’s a little scary. Quite frankly, they are a scientific miracle.

However, having COVID is MUCH scarier. You might be perfectly fine, you might get really sick or you might even develop long term health issues. And you could develop long term symptoms even if you weren’t that sick when you had COVID. You’re basically playing a game of Russian roulette with your health if you have access to a vaccine and don’t take advantage of it.

Just a few things to think about.

And then there’s this:

In short, having COVID is like opening a Pandora’s box of future mystery ailments/conditions.

Far better to avoid it all costs, and the vaccines are 100% free.

Plus, COVID is becoming more easily transmissible + deadlier via mutations. Because that’s what Virus’s do. They adapt. The longer viruses are running free in the wild, the deadlier they become.

Why risk it, when vaccines are readily available now? When making decisions, it’s best to look at all available data, and outcomes for each of your possible choices. The evidence is starting to really mount up for getting the vaccine.

For those on the fence, why are you still on the fence? I’m genuinely curious.

Perhaps another way to ask it would be this: what would you have to see to feel comfortable enough to take the vaccine?

And then there’s this:

In short, having COVID is like opening a Pandora’s box of future mystery ailments/conditions.

Far better to avoid it all costs, and the vaccines are 100% free.

Plus, COVID is becoming more easily transmissible + deadlier via mutations. Because that’s what Virus’s do. They adapt. The longer viruses are running free in the wild, the deadlier they become.

Why risk it, when vaccines are readily available now? When making decisions, it’s best to look at all available data, and outcomes for each of your possible choices. The evidence is starting to really mount up for getting the vaccine.

For those on the fence, why are you still on the fence? I’m genuinely curious.

Perhaps another way to ask it would be this: what would you have to see to feel comfortable enough to take the vaccine?

That article is sorely missing context. The same massive increase in mental illnesses occurred with people that did not have COVID, but had to live through lockdowns, isolation, etc.

According to the Kaiser Family Foundation, 4 in 10 adults in the United States have reported anxiety or depressive disorder symptoms during the pandemic.

I would really appreciate the board's thoughts on vaccine shaming. Prior to the vaccine being available, mask shaming was, and remains, a very prevalent issue throughout our society.

To be clear, I have zero issues with any of the available vaccines. I fully support each person's decision to either receive the vaccine or to not receive the vaccine. I will always be a firm believer in a person's healthcare decisions being a private matter and not something that is up for discussion unless that person so chooses.

Unfortunately for me, my wife's family has been pushing me and her to receive the vaccine. Upon learning that we are holding off for now, they were mortified and began lecturing us on why that is a terrible decision. Quite frankly, our decision is none of their business, just as their healthcare decisions are none of our business. We are the only family members remaining who have NOT received the vaccine. We do not have any individuals within either of our families who are in the at-risk category.

To be clear, we have gone out of our way to adhere to the health and safety protocols outlined by the CDC. We have also made a conscious effort to stay away from elderly people as well as those with pre-existing conditions. I'll gladly wear a mask and maintain social distancing when required.

Thoughts?

Looks like the OP didn't get the validation he was looking for. He's not been around since he first posted.
I wonder how the OP would react if his family ostracised him over the lack of an "optional" polio or smallpox vaccine? Would he consider that "vaccine shaming"?

Sorry OP but when you're espousing "medical philosophy" echoed by idiots like MTG or Donnie Jr you really need to question your intelligence, among other things. Pakman's a pretty smart guy and this is brilliant...

Reactions: outside shooter
I wonder how the OP would react if his family ostracised him over the lack of an "optional" polio or smallpox vaccine? Would he consider that "vaccine shaming"?

Sorry OP but when you're espousing "medical philosophy" echoed by idiots like MTG or Donnie Jr you really need to question your intelligence, among other things. Pakman's a pretty smart guy and this is brilliant...

My body, my choice. Or, are we not doing that anymore?

Reactions: racinghoosier
When push comes to shove, I think you'll see a lot of those who have been open and loud in their Covid skepticism quietly getting their vaccines. It's easy to stand on "principle" when your own well being isn't on the line (if only in your own head). Once that perception gets shifted -- that it actually would be in your best interest to get the vaccine (and no one has to know) -- the people will alter their behavior accordingly.
I'm 29 years old, I do HIIT workouts five days a week, I eat clean, I drink plenty of water, I get 8 hours of sleep a night, I don't smoke and I don't drink. I don't need a vaccine to protect me since I'm already a healthy person. I had COVID in November with my only symptoms being loss of taste and smell. Hell, I even worked out at home WHILE I had it and felt no differently than I ever have while exercising.

Again, I could not care less whether someone else does or does not get the vaccine. I'm simply making my own choice. All I ask is for other adults to actually be adults and leave people alone about what they choose to do or not do with their own bodies.

I appreciate your willingness to adhere to safety protocols. That’s huge. I’m in TX, and let’s just say there are severely uninformed people here when it comes to respecting others during this pandemic.

I’d like to ask you a question. What’s the reason for your hesitation? To have a better discussion, it would be helpful to know more about why you’re hesitant. I totally understand why folks are hesitant. It’s brand new technology, and it was developed REALLY fast.

I’ve got pictures on my phone of normal lungs vs smokers lungs vs COVID lungs. The COVID lungs are off the charts nasty.

Whenever someone says they’re hesitant about the vaccine, I show them the pictures. I don’t say anything else- the pictures tell the story.

If you haven’t researched what COVID does to a person, I’d suggest you do that right now. Especially if you’re eligible now to receive the vaccine.

Start with checking out pictures/scans of lungs.

Not only that, but even a mild case of COVID can produce “long haul” symptoms. Basically all kinds of weird chit starts happening to your body, and there’s no real rhyme or reason to what happens. Perfectly healthy people pre-COVID have become essentially disabled after having it.

That’s exactly why I got vaccinated as soon as I was eligible. I’m around too many people all the time to take chances. Either spreading COVID unknowingly or bringing it home to my family were risks I just couldn’t take. I’m super careful and have a several protocols to keep from contracting COVID.

Full disclosure- the first shot gave me headaches. I never have headaches. The second shot gave me chills & flu-like symptoms. Turns out those responses are actually a great thing- my body was producing antibodies against COVID. Quite frankly, I would’ve been worried that the vaccine didn’t “take” if I felt perfectly fine after the shots. I’m quite sure it “took” ;).

Both of those (temporary) responses were WELL worth it to avoid having COVID and what comes with it immediately and potentially down the road.

I know that the vaccines were developed very quickly, and that’s a little scary. Quite frankly, they are a scientific miracle.

However, having COVID is MUCH scarier. You might be perfectly fine, you might get really sick or you might even develop long term health issues. And you could develop long term symptoms even if you weren’t that sick when you had COVID. You’re basically playing a game of Russian roulette with your health if you have access to a vaccine and don’t take advantage of it.

Just a few things to think about.
Appreciate your thoughts. As I mentioned below in a separate post, I do HIIT workouts five days a week, I eat clean, I drink plenty of water, I get 8 hours of sleep a night and I don't smoke or drink. I also already had COVID-19, worked out WHILE I had it and felt no differently than I had while exercising prior to contracting COVID-19.

The vaccine simply is not something I need.

Appreciate your thoughts. As I mentioned below in a separate post, I do HIIT workouts five days a week, I eat clean, I drink plenty of water, I get 8 hours of sleep a night and I don't smoke or drink. I also already had COVID-19, worked out WHILE I had it and felt no differently than I had while exercising prior to contracting COVID-19.

So, do you have a problem with certain entities (airlines) requiring a vaccine to fly?
It's their plane, their choice.

Then get it for your mom, dad, in-laws, neighbors, parishioners, my mom, sisters, brother in-law.

I'm 29 years old, I do HIIT workouts five days a week, I eat clean, I drink plenty of water, I get 8 hours of sleep a night, I don't smoke and I don't drink. I don't need a vaccine to protect me since I'm already a healthy person. I had COVID in November with my only symptoms being loss of taste and smell. Hell, I even worked out at home WHILE I had it and felt no differently than I ever have while exercising.

Again, I could not care less whether someone else does or does not get the vaccine. I'm simply making my own choice. All I ask is for other adults to actually be adults and leave people alone about what they choose to do or not do with their own bodies.
69!! Wow. Nice. And nice post. Do you know HooDatGuy

Reactions: UncleMark
We need at least 70% vaccinated, maybe 80%. Without that, this lingers. If we get there without you, fine.

COVID is a bit different than some diseases. Measles vaccine is dangerous to more people. Those same people are at real risk to measles. So we need to vaccinate everyone we can to save the people who cannot get vaccinated.

It appears far fewer have major health concerns with COVID, so the people at risk can get vaccinated.

At the moment, I would not say shaming is the answer. At the same point explaining that millions have been vaccinated and no one is dying or suffering long-term health issues. So suggesting people reconsider there decision isn't shaming but also I think a good idea.

70-80% is the goal. Let's get there
I'm going to lead with saying that I'm fully vaccinated. 2 shots of Pfizer and hope for the best. With that said, I'm not sure how anyone can be sure of "no one dying or suffering long-term health issues." There's just no way to know that yet.

Maybe. We don’t know much about the longevity of a vaccine’s protection, but we DO know that it appears to last longer than naturally acquired immunity. We also know that in the two shot regimen of Moderna & Pfizer that more antibodies are produced. Even if I had the virus previously, I wouldn’t assume that I’m safe.

I am “fully” vaccinated, and still take the same precautions. The only difference now is that I tend to resume more “normal” activities.

Also, there are several known cases of people acquiring the virus twice. Presumably because they encountered a different variant the first time. In that case, natural immunity tends to offer less protection than a vaccine.

Also, keep in kind that multiple studies have now confirmed that the vaccine does protect against all known variants at this point. Again, that doesn’t appear to be the case with natural immunity. Or, several people wouldn’t have had COVID naturally twice.

In short, I wouldn’t assume that having natural immunity completely protects you against what’s floating around out there right now. The dominant strain is the British variant, and I doubt that’s the one you had if you caught it early.

In short, natural immunity doesn’t offer as much protection as having the vaccine. We don’t know a ton about the vaccines efficacy now, but we do know that to be true.

Hope this helps. I believe that vaccination is the ONLY way out of this, and we’ll need about 70% of our population vaccinated to greatly diminish it.

Maybe. We don’t know much about the longevity of a vaccine’s protection, but we DO know that it appears to last longer than naturally acquired immunity. We also know that in the two shot regimen of Moderna & Pfizer that more antibodies are produced. Even if I had the virus previously, I wouldn’t assume that I’m safe.

I am “fully” vaccinated, and still take the same precautions. The only difference now is that I tend to resume more “normal” activities.

Also, there are several known cases of people acquiring the virus twice. Presumably because they encountered a different variant the first time. In that case, natural immunity tends to offer less protection than a vaccine.

Also, keep in kind that multiple studies have now confirmed that the vaccine does protect against all known variants at this point. Again, that doesn’t appear to be the case with natural immunity. Or, several people wouldn’t have had COVID naturally twice.

In short, I wouldn’t assume that having natural immunity completely protects you against what’s floating around out there right now. The dominant strain is the British variant, and I doubt that’s the one you had if you caught it early.

In short, natural immunity doesn’t offer as much protection as having the vaccine. We don’t know a ton about the vaccines efficacy now, but we do know that to be true.

Hope this helps. I believe that vaccination is the ONLY way out of this, and we’ll need about 70% of our population vaccinated to greatly diminish it.

also, just saw this article.

In short, our governor is claiming that we’re close to herd immunity. Multiple experts dispute this claim. It has a discussion of what it would take to get to herd immunity, and estimates range from 70% to 90%. New variants could disrupt the process, and the effect of those is obviously unknown.

It’s not secret that the politics of the governor don’t come close to aligning with my politics. However, I wish he would simply listen to experts, and stop A) making false claims & B) going against their advice.

When it comes to the safety of me and my family (& friends also), I believe we should always let the science guide us. At least in TX, we’ve failed miserably in that regard.

Another example of failing to listen to experts is the failure of the power grid a few months ago. We have another every other year legislature this year, and it appears that nothing will be done. Again. Despite repeated failures, and deaths.

I never imagined that I’d live somewhere where I’m not 100% sure the government was doing their best to keep us safe.

end rant... ;).

I'm going to lead with saying that I'm fully vaccinated. 2 shots of Pfizer and hope for the best. With that said, I'm not sure how anyone can be sure of "no one dying or suffering long-term health issues." There's just no way to know that yet.
True, how about as of now there is no evidence that the vaccine causes death or long-term health issues.

True, how about as of now there is no evidence that the vaccine causes death or long-term health issues.
We aren’t long term yet. And the companies have a history of concealing data. That said I’m getting vaccinated - but telling someone not to be concerned about the long term consequences (or shaming) is silly imo, particularly in view of the Covid survival rate. And I know you weren’t marv - just sayin. i'll do it on the chance it limits me infecting someone else and because i suspect points of entry will start requiring it

Last edited:
Reactions: Bligedy
We aren’t long term yet. And the companies have a history of concealing data. That said I’m getting vaccinated - but telling someone not to be concerned about the long term consequences is silly. And I know you weren’t marv - just sayin

Of course we do not know the long-term implications of having COVID either. But we do know that most of the volume of the vaccine is harmless, it is used in vaccinations all the time. Scientists think they know how the mRNA works; it has been studied for some time. mRNA is very fragile, hence why it must be kept so cold. So while not impossible to create issues, it seems very, very unlikely that the mRNA that is destroyed soon upon entering the body can cause problems. Now, could the cells created to fight the spiked proteins cause future problems? Probably no more likely than the cells that fight any other virus.

I had mentioned before about the Spanish flu leading to an uptick in Parkinson's. At this moment, COVID does not seem to do that. I did hear another interesting item, measles wipes out the body's memory of fighting bacteria and other viruses. So you could have immunity to, say polio, mostly wiped out by a case of measles. Viruses are very nasty things. It seems likely the risk from mRNA is less than the risk from a virus.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

Even if I hadn't already had COVID-19, I still wouldn't be worried about contracting it due to the healthy lifestyle choices I make. I haven't had a flu shot since before I turned 18, and I haven't had the flu since I was in junior high. Again, I'm not worried one bit.

If others want to be vaccinated, I say do it! I have nothing against it. It's simply not something I want or need. The data proves that as well. According to the CDC, there have been 1,996 total deaths involving COVID-19 in the 20-29 age range in the United States since the outbreak began in March 2020. There were 75,339 total deaths from all causes in the same age range in the same time period. I'll take my chances as a healthy person.

Then get it for your mom, dad, in-laws, neighbors, parishioners, my mom, sisters, brother in-law.
According to the so called "experts," there is not yet definitive proof that the vaccine prevents the spread of COVID-19. Even if it did, I still refuse to put something in my body that I don't want to.

My body, my choice. Or, are we not doing that anymore?
Wow. comparing abortion to a vaccine.

Not a good look ..

Yea, it's cool, you get covid and spread it, you help cause variants so this stupid shit never ends, you make all the unselfish people have to get boosters, and hey you may hit the jackpot and kill someones grandma ... no sweat off your ballz, right?

Reactions: MaxCoke
According to the so called "experts," there is not yet definitive proof that the vaccine prevents the spread of COVID-19. Even if it did, I still refuse to put something in my body that I don't want to.
Stop lying.

There is no proof that vacccination 100% prevents you from getting a super-mild infection. That's all.

And it shouldn't, because that makes no sense. A vaccine is not some batmobile force field keeping the virus away from you. It is rather an AR-15, locked and loaded, ready to blast that sucker with its laser sight whenever it barges through the door.

So it gets one step in. So what. No further. That's a HUGE benefit, numb nuts.

Get vaccinated, stupid. Stop whining about it and do your duty.

When it comes to the safety of me and my family (& friends also), I believe we should always let the science guide us. At least in TX, we’ve failed miserably in that regard.

And yet, Fauci looks like a lost puppy out there. So perhaps the science is beyond our limits, particularly given the time constraints we face.

And yet, Fauci looks like a lost puppy out there. So perhaps the science is beyond our limits, particularly given the time constraints we face.
Fauci is an epidemiologist. He deals with large numbers, large populations, and large, blunt instruments. He gets in trouble when he tries to deal with smaller localized situations and sharper instruments. He's also been burned by rosy forecasts that didn't turn out, so being gun-shy is understandable.

That’s just not true. Check all the information from Israel. It absolutely stops the spread.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT