ADVERTISEMENT

Utah QB Jack Tuttle transferring to Indiana

Great get! Anyone know the story here of why he didn’t play at Utah? Just curious.

Wouldn't say QB room is "crowded" with 3 (as I don't think and even hope) Reese Taylor is kept at hybrid slot/RB or if they all agree collectively he should go to CB.

I also don't think that it means Penix will transfer as he's still a RS FR for next season and there is no guarantee of anything with Tuttle other than he's coming to IU to add competition. As Penix himself now knows, as does Peyton Ramsey...injuries DO happen and to leave early there really is now guarantees anywhere.

That said, kid was a legit player, had an Alabama offer plus USC. But look at Clemson, they had a bunch of QB's transfer (who were / are still good) like the kid going to Northwestern from Brownsburg. Not good enough to start at Clemson b/c they had top 5 in US caliber players, but still a great player.

Clearly IU is getting someone who has IU ties (his dad) and likely wants to come to compete and play at IU. A great pick up for IU and EVERY player at IU should know that the goal for any great program is to bring in as many great players as possible. The "iron sharpens iron" is true and great depth is key to winning programs.

This is exciting preview of Wednesday signing day! IU is not that far from having the depth and talent needed to truly take the next step. This is how it's done...one great kid at a time!

Wow. Impressive, this kid is only 1 year out of H.S., so it's not like he's an established bust like the last one(can't remember his name, from Arizona, sorry to sound harsh, but the kid couldn't throw). Yeah, if he's eligible next season, it could really help us at QB, potentially. Knowing our luck though, Penix will transfer, & then the next day this kid will be ruled ineligible for 2019.

Reactions: tenwest
This is fantastic and I think is a continued reflection of our under appreciated OC. That is two big gets at QB in two years.... we couldn’t recruit the position prior

Reactions: Palmbeachhoosier
Great get! Anyone know the story here of why he didn’t play at Utah? Just curious.

...Another reason might be the system that Tuttle was coming into. Whittingham has always favored the mobile, dual-threat quarterback, who was just as reliable with his feet as he was with his arm. Travis Wilson and Alex Smith, Utah’s past two four-year starters, had that quality. Huntley, by far and away, won that battle outright. Tuttle, however, was right there with the two returners in terms of arm strength. According to Gordon Monson of the Salt Lake Tribune, “Tuttle, even as a teenager, had the best arm in fall camp.” According to Monson, what Tuttle lacked was intangibles — aspects of a player that cannot be measured with direct numbers. “He [Tuttle] just didn’t have the other stuff, the experience, the grasp of the offense, the trust of the coaches, the wheels.” The wheels, in this instance, is referring to the running ability possessed by both Huntley and Shelley coming out of spring camps.

I see he quit mid-season, but I don't see where the sit-out-after-transfer rule is addressed.

I see he quit mid-season, but I don't see where the sit-out-after-transfer rule is addressed.

It was "inferred" in the last paragraph that he may have withdrawn from Fall classes. Whether that move, combined with (my impression) that he has not taken a single live NCAA competition snap will hopefully allow him to be eligible sooner than later.

Wouldn't surprise me if that call went the other way however. We don't sell enough football jerseys to get help from the NCAA...

In the link below, a VP with the NCAA is quoted as saying that being "'run off' by the prior coach, made to feel unwelcome or unnecessary to the team" can be a reason for granting a waiver to the standard year rule. Also says there would need to be documentation, but the threshold for such a scenario is not specified.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa...coaches-its-a-farce/306x12duyq9w1km8k5mcy1xdq

Big shot in the arm for us. Hopefully Penix is 100% by the fall but Tuttle very well could win the job over Penix/Ramsey.

Will be nice to have great QB play and options in the fall and a couple guys with great arms, plus Ramsey's who's a solid game-manager type.

Big shot in the arm for us. Hopefully Penix is 100% by the fall but Tuttle very well could win the job over Penix/Ramsey.

Will be nice to have great QB play and options in the fall and a couple guys with great arms, plus Ramsey's who's a solid game-manager type.
If Penix & Tuttle are both here & healthy, it's hard to envision Ramsey getting a lot of snaps.

Reactions: fpeaugh
Maybe similar to the IU LB from TD Roof, who got good news he'd be eligible this season when team wasn't sure. Who knows here but at least coming in January, Tuttle at very least can start learning the playbook, lifting, getting himself ready to be ready.

I personally see no reason why Penix isn't still the front runner, Ramsey as #2 and Tuttle as #3 with maybe even potential to RS if not needed next season. Why? Though I'm sure he's got talent, he too could be rusty after a rough fall of seemingly not playing much. He's also still young. Penix got in last January, had the fall season and 2.5 games until injured. I'm assuming his rehab will go well and even throwing balls in spring, ready to roll by summer and for sure fall camp. I love his arm, his pocket presence and his dual threat wheels.

But anytime you can add players like this, all IU fans should celebrate more talent coming to the program! Love it!

Reactions: Sassy61
If Penix & Tuttle are both here & healthy, it's hard to envision Ramsey getting a lot of snaps.
First you said Penix would transfer knowing IU luck. I don't think so but why be so negative out of the gates?

Per my last post, I'd see Tuttle as #3 given he's still young, didn't get much time this fall and could frankly be rusty. But I'm sure he's got talent and getting into IU for Spring (and maybe getting some good run in spring game?) will help. Still, I think Penix has IU experience over him and is also a real deal 4-star talent, and Ramsey will have incredible experience for the back up role. Hoping Tuttle has some patience, maybe is eligible to RS if he's not playing but ready to go if his number gets called. Very stoked he's going to IU!

From what I'm reading Tuttle doesn't sound like the mobile QB that Allen prefers. I'm not getting this transfer from either side unless we see a shift in offensive philosophy (and perhaps coordinator).

From what I'm reading Tuttle doesn't sound like the mobile QB that Allen prefers. I'm not getting this transfer from either side unless we see a shift in offensive philosophy (and perhaps coordinator).
I was thinking the same thing. Seems like he is a different style of QB then Penix. But the guy does seem extremely talented. Hopefully it all works out.

On the other hand, he could be good enough that he would be worth adapting the offensive philosophy

First you said Penix would transfer knowing IU luck. I don't think so but why be so negative out of the gates?

Per my last post, I'd see Tuttle as #3 given he's still young, didn't get much time this fall and could frankly be rusty. But I'm sure he's got talent and getting into IU for Spring (and maybe getting some good run in spring game?) will help. Still, I think Penix has IU experience over him and is also a real deal 4-star talent, and Ramsey will have incredible experience for the back up role. Hoping Tuttle has some patience, maybe is eligible to RS if he's not playing but ready to go if his number gets called. Very stoked he's going to IU!
Don't even start with this "why so negative" bu!!$#!+. Don't even mention the word "negative", if you please would refrain. Besides, although it would be a better & more apropos question, I don't ask you why are you so positive. That's your prerogative, & this is mine. & they both need to be accepted,m & tolerated. & I didn't say he WOULD transfer, it was a tongue in cheek remark, but if you have been an IU football fan for any length of time, then why ask why?

Maybe similar to the IU LB from TD Roof, who got good news he'd be eligible this season when team wasn't sure. Who knows here but at least coming in January, Tuttle at very least can start learning the playbook, lifting, getting himself ready to be ready.

I personally see no reason why Penix isn't still the front runner, Ramsey as #2 and Tuttle as #3 with maybe even potential to RS if not needed next season. Why? Though I'm sure he's got talent, he too could be rusty after a rough fall of seemingly not playing much. He's also still young. Penix got in last January, had the fall season and 2.5 games until injured. I'm assuming his rehab will go well and even throwing balls in spring, ready to roll by summer and for sure fall camp. I love his arm, his pocket presence and his dual threat wheels.

But anytime you can add players like this, all IU fans should celebrate more talent coming to the program! Love it!
you think tuttle can redshirt next season and still be a redshirt freshman in 2020? anyone know?

I think when you're in IU's shoes, anytime you get a crack at bringing in a 4-star, Elite 11, top-five pro-style QB in the nation coming out of HS with a 6'4" frame and cannon for an arm, you go ahead and take 'em!

Welcome to IU Jack Tuttle. Go Hoosiers!

I don't understand what Allen is going to do offensively. This is a huge pickup but he isn't a dual threat QB. I thought TA clearly stated he strongly prefers a mobile QB.

This is an interesting addition in many ways. Not every year does this program sign such a high shelf QB. I'm still of the mindset that Penix gives Indiana the best chance of winning games because of his arm/scrambling abilities and that fits Allen's desired offense more than a pro style QB.

This addition will put lots of pressure on Ramsey. I thought he greatly improved during the Minnesota game and thereafter. Leading up to the Minny game, he was simply a game manager who chose to throw check downs.

All of that said, Ramsey will have a tough time keeping the starting QB job. Tuttle was darn near a 5* prospect last year and Penix was a very solid 4* talent out of football rich Florida. I just don't think Ramsey's experience will be enough to outright trump NFL talents.

Reactions: IUgradman and IUCol
We are not Ohio St or Michigan.
You can't be scared or afraid to recruit Legitimate talent....these are guys who have VERY legitimate NFL chances.

If you read the Rivals network's comments regarding 4*, and in Tuttle's case, almost 5* status, they clearly state these are the recruits they expect to see in the NFL. These are kids they expect to garner AA and All Conference recognitions.

Playing against Ohio State and Michigan every year, this is EXACTLY how you eventually start beating their ass.

you think tuttle can redshirt next season and still be a redshirt freshman in 2020? anyone know?

I'm guessing not. He could use last season as a redshirt and be a reshirt freshman next season but I don't see how 2018 would not count against his eligibility.

An article on Hoosier Huddle said he would have 4 years of eligibility left and has 4 years to complete them. Which means no redshirt, and hope he is granted immediate eligibility.

Reactions: Hoosiersfan2018
An article on Hoosier Huddle said he would have 4 years of eligibility left and has 4 years to complete them. Which means no redshirt, and hope he is granted immediate eligibility.
what about that "last day to withdrawal" oct. 13th thing? what bearing, if any, does that have?

There seem to be many strange angles to this...many possibly having negative results. But its hard to see a 4-5* QB coming in as a bad thing. But who do you Penix people start promoting now?? lol What is the real story on this QB? Why IU? Pro style? I personally like that..but its not "now". So whats the deal? Why does he want to come here? Don't mean that bad...just why are we getting him?

Reactions: Hoosiersfan2018
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT