ADVERTISEMENT

Utah QB Jack Tuttle transferring to Indiana

There seem to be many strange angles to this...many possibly having negative results. But its hard to see a 4-5* QB coming in as a bad thing. But who do you Penix people start promoting now?? lol What is the real story on this QB? Why IU? Pro style? I personally like that..but its not "now". So whats the deal? Why does he want to come here? Don't mean that bad...just why are we getting him?

He had a new OC come in right after he signed who decided he liked the other two QB's fit in "his" offense better.

Tuttle feels he has too much talent to not be given a serious look...

You gonna complain to your family about your Christmas gifts and question their motives too...? ;)(that's supposed to be a joke...:D)...

Last edited:
There seem to be many strange angles to this...many possibly having negative results. But its hard to see a 4-5* QB coming in as a bad thing. But who do you Penix people start promoting now?? lol What is the real story on this QB? Why IU? Pro style? I personally like that..but its not "now". So whats the deal? Why does he want to come here? Don't mean that bad...just why are we getting him?
Is it in a bid to get David Bell, among other things??

what about that "last day to withdrawal" oct. 13th thing? what bearing, if any, does that have?
Unless you get a waiver for a 6th year, you have a 5 year clock that starts on your matriculation date.

That withdrawal thing might be what gives him immediate eligibility for this upcoming season.

Those things make sense...on one plane...but his style of play is not what Debord and Allen have been building towards. Are we going back to having QB's with opposite styles again? I can fully understand why the kid want to leave Utah...but I'm not so sure why he is interested in us...sorry...been an IU fan too long vbg. I keep asking myself...what's wrong with him? Is he flawed in some way we cant see...like what just happened last summer...least we forget. We really haven't been a destination for 4--5 star QBs...not that Im complaining...but I look every gift horse right smack in the mouth...vbg...but I have hope...

Reactions: Bill4411
Those things make sense...on one plane...but his style of play is not what Debord and Allen have been building towards. Are we going back to having QB's with opposite styles again? I can fully understand why the kid want to leave Utah...but I'm not so sure why he is interested in us...sorry...been an IU fan too long vbg. I keep asking myself...what's wrong with him? Is he flawed in some way we cant see...like what just happened last summer...least we forget. We really haven't been a destination for 4--5 star QBs...not that Im complaining...but I look every gift horse right smack in the mouth...vbg...but I have hope...
"What happened last summer" was we picked up an enormously talented quarterback who, by his own admission, developed mental health issues and opted not to play football anymore. And he was a grad transfer with only one year of eligibility left (along with a realization, no doubt, that he wasn't going to be playing on Sundays), while this kid has four years left, so it's apples and oranges.

This is the highest rated QB IU has ever recruited. There is only upside to this, and congratulations to Tom Allen and staff for making it happen - - a huge get, just prior to early signings. Wow. Merry Christmas to all.

He had a new OC come in right after he signed who decided he liked the other two QB's fit in "his" offense better.

Tuttle feels he has to much talent to not be given a serious look...

You gonna complain to your family about your Christmas gifts and question their motives too...? ;)(that's supposed to be a joke...:D)...

The article said he committed to Utah prior to the new OC being hired, then 'endorsed his offense' and still signed.

I know where you're coming from, lol. It does seem a bit odd, we have never had this strong of a QB room in my 30 plus years watching.

I'm with you on Tom's offense, just what in the hell is he wanting to do? It's a very fair question.

"What happened last summer" was we picked up an enormously talented quarterback who, by his own admission, developed mental health issues and opted not to play football anymore. And he was a grad transfer with only one year of eligibility left (along with a realization, no doubt, that he wasn't going to be playing on Sundays), while this kid has four years left, so it's apples and oranges.

This is the highest rated QB IU has ever recruited. There is only upside to this, and congratulations to Tom Allen and staff for making it happen - - a huge get, just prior to early signings. Wow. Merry Christmas to all.

SI named Dave Schnell as the nation's #1 rated HS QB in 1985....j..

Penix is listed as pro style too. Both are mobiles QB's Dad played at IU so that's how it got sarted

I don't understand what Allen is going to do offensively. This is a huge pickup but he isn't a dual threat QB. I thought TA clearly stated he strongly prefers a mobile QB.

This is an interesting addition in many ways. Not every year does this program sign such a high shelf QB. I'm still of the mindset that Penix gives Indiana the best chance of winning games because of his arm/scrambling abilities and that fits Allen's desired offense more than a pro style QB.

This addition will put lots of pressure on Ramsey. I thought he greatly improved during the Minnesota game and thereafter. Leading up to the Minny game, he was simply a game manager who chose to throw check downs.

All of that said, Ramsey will have a tough time keeping the starting QB job. Tuttle was darn near a 5* prospect last year and Penix was a very solid 4* talent out of football rich Florida. I just don't think Ramsey's experience will be enough to outright trump NFL talents.
Allen stated in press conferences several times that though Penix is listed as pro style we think he acutally is dual. If you watched film of Tuttle he too is very mobile.

Reactions: Hoosiersfan2018

It is an odd situation.......one story said he had 3171 passing yds his sr year, with 41 TDs, 4 ints....only 207 yds rushing. So he certainly looks like a pro style guy.

Had an IU offer out of school. Dad Jay Tuttle was a walk-on kicker at IU 1986-89....mom was an ISU grad.

His rivals bio had him as the #5 pro style QB, #104 overall in the country in all positions, 5.9....247 had him #8 composite, #167 overall.

edit.....as to why IU, only thing I can think of is that his Indiana connections.......he visited the Purdue game, so he wasn't scared away by our offense, goosecrapgate, or the closed concession stands.

Last edited by a moderator:

All of that happened after he was named 3rd string. Now maybe that was because of his problems but I think IUC's point is valid. Don't get too jacked until he plays in his first game and lights it up. All in all it's better than a stick in the eye though.

you think tuttle can redshirt next season and still be a redshirt freshman in 2020? anyone know?
He will have five years from the initial date of his enrollment at Utah to complete four years of eligibility. Unless he, for some reason gets a medical redshirt next year or is allowed to play immediately on a special ruling by NCAA, he will have three years of eligibility at IU. I am assuming this was his first year at Utah.

I only recall Ramsey running (via designed plays) about 7 times a game last fall... All Debord has to do is cut that number of designed runs by about half and you still retain the threat of the QB running without making it a make or break centerpiece of your offense.

Even if Tuttle hadn't transferred I highly doubt Debord would have had Penix or Ramsey running more than 3-4 times a game next fall due to the injuries they both incurred this past season attempting the same play (especially with Penix's surgically repaired knee)...

Debord has been around long enough to know how to fit our offense to the players on hand rather than the reverse...

JT seems a great fit and personally I'm extremely happy he decided to come here. Hope to see his talents blossom here at INDIANA!

Congrats to him and all parties involved in his decision!!!

And a Merry Christmas to All...

Last edited:
Anyone that isn't Peyton Ramsey!

He will have five years from the initial date of his enrollment at Utah to complete four years of eligibility. Unless he, for some reason gets a medical redshirt next year or is allowed to play immediately on a special ruling by NCAA, he will have three years of eligibility at IU. I am assuming this was his first year at Utah.
He will have 4 years of eligibility, as he is “likely” to be allowed to play right away. Now if he is not allowed to play right away, then 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1
Don't even start with this "why so negative" bu!!$#!+. Don't even mention the word "negative", if you please would refrain. Besides, although it would be a better & more apropos question, I don't ask you why are you so positive. That's your prerogative, & this is mine. & they both need to be accepted,m & tolerated. & I didn't say he WOULD transfer, it was a tongue in cheek remark, but if you have been an IU football fan for any length of time, then why ask why?
Touched a negative nerve. Chill, you're the one who led with "knowing our luck Penix will transfer" on a day with a past 4-star signee news. Maybe you don't feel worthy of IU being a top talent loaded team, but I do.

I don't get the feeling this Tuttle kid is "Lagow slow" just not a total dual threat speedy guy. But dual threat to me is more like say DeShawn Watson style. Mahomes, Andrew Luck are shifty but "dual threat"? David Carr, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Carson Wentz - I wouldn't call them "dual threats" but they can light it up.

My point isn't Tuttle = Brady or Brees, but he was almost 5* and just by look he doesn't look - I'll say it again - Lagow Slow - so I don't think his not being dual threat means he's stuck in the sand slow. And he may have a rifle that is potentially lethal for passing game.

Until we see more for sure though, I welcome him with open arms but still hoping we see Penix next year unless truly beaten out by Tuttle (or Ramsey to be fair.) And Ramsey is an awesome back up to have in hip pocket!

[QUOTE="mushroomgod_1, post:

Had an IU offer out of school. Dad Jay Tuttle was a walk-on kicker at IU 1986-89....mom was an ISU grad.

His dad missed a couple of FGs, iirc, in the 1986 Ohio State game that kept us from the upset. Hard to blame Jay because he had to fill in for Pete Stoyanavich that day because Pete was attending his mother's funeral, again iirc. If Pete S. had been playing that day he would have probably hit the chip shot FGs and we would have had a 3 game win streak against the Buckeyes. Just another snake bitten part of IU football history.

From what I'm reading Tuttle doesn't sound like the mobile QB that Allen prefers. I'm not getting this transfer from either side unless we see a shift in offensive philosophy (and perhaps coordinator).
It's nice to get a 4 star QB, but I see another 3 way battle for QB and the loser possibly leaving. I almost hope he does have to sit out a season. I want to know if Penix is better than Ramsey.

It's nice to get a 4 star QB, but I see another 3 way battle for QB and the loser possibly leaving. I almost hope he does have to sit out a season. I want to know if Penix is better than Ramsey.

They're big boys and I bet they get communicated to way better than the Wilson era (who had a 3 QB situation but nothing like this current crop.)

Anyway, competition is good, and even #2 at Alabama got to shine in huge SEC final game this year. Kids are fools for leaving for greener pastures that aren't always greener!

Reactions: IUgradman
I only recall Ramsey running (via designed plays) about 7 times a game last fall... All Debord has to do is cut that number of designed runs by about half and you still retain the threat of the QB running without making it a make or break centerpiece of your offense.

Even if Tuttle hadn't transferred I highly doubt Debord would have had Penix or Ramsey running more than 3-4 times a game next fall due to the injuries they both incurred this past season attempting the same play (especially with Penix's surgically repaired knee)...

Debord has been around long enough to know how to fit our offense to the players on hand rather than the reverse...

JT seems a great fit and personally I'm extremely happy he decided to come here. Hope to see his talents blossom here at INDIANA!

Congrats to him and all parties involved in his decision!!!

And a Merry Christmas to All...
I recall Ramsey running for long touchdowns in each of the last two games after pocket breaking down. Hate to lose that.

Reactions: Bernese
It is an odd situation.......one story said he had 3171 passing yds his sr year, with 41 TDs, 4 ints....only 207 yds rushing. So he certainly looks like a pro style guy.

His rivals bio had him as the #5 pro style QB, #104 overall in the country in all positions, 5.9....247 had him #8 composite, #167 overall.

edit.....as to why IU, only thing I can think of is that his Indiana connections.......he visited the Purdue game, so he wasn't scared away by our offense, goosecrapgate, or the closed concession stands.
Never saw a "mod edit" before. Thanks for the laugh, mod.

When Penix went down last year we were one snap away from using Reese at QB. IDK how that would have worked out but man having 3 is like an insurance policy. I'm glad Tuttle is coming its going to elevate the position!

Everyone b!tches about Ramsey at times, including me, but if these guys can't beat him out what does that say? To me, we might see Peyton hit another gear next year and I say that because he is such a competitor and will fight like a dog to keep his position. This brings a huge smile to my face! It's On! Whoever takes the field next September should be performing at a level IU has never seen before.

Except you don’t seem to think he will be allowed immediate eligibility, where I do, we will see.
Wonder if there is any time frame for a decision on eligiblity?
Do they just meet every so often to discuss that or do they do it as they come up?

Unless you get a waiver for a 6th year, you have a 5 year clock that starts on your matriculation date.

That withdrawal thing might be what gives him immediate eligibility for this upcoming season.
i was wondering because he withdrew before the deadline that his matriculation did not count at all. or did he enroll early at utah last jan.?

really? the highest rated qb ever? wow. man, he sure looks the part watching videos of him at qb camps. big dude

i was wondering because he withdrew before the deadline that his matriculation did not count at all. or did he enroll early at utah last jan.?

I believe as soon as a player participates in a single practice or attends a single day of class, they can not use that year as the year they sit out, unless there is a waiver.

Officially withdrawing just allows him to severe all university ties (didn't need to participate in football activities or attend class), and also remain in good standing with the university and the NCAA.

When Penix went down last year we were one snap away from using Reese at QB. IDK how that would have worked out but man having 3 is like an insurance policy. I'm glad Tuttle is coming its going to elevate the position!

Everyone b!tches about Ramsey at times, including me, but if these guys can't beat him out what does that say? To me, we might see Peyton hit another gear next year and I say that because he is such a competitor and will fight like a dog to keep his position. This brings a huge smile to my face! It's On! Whoever takes the field next September should be performing at a level IU has never seen before.

He's a very good guy. No denying that.

But I see no evidence that he has another gear. If you compare his #s this year to his #s last year....they are nearly identical. So, I think 'what you see is what you get', at least with this OC.

Reactions: Mackt10
ADVERTISEMENT