ADVERTISEMENT

US economy adds 353,000 jobs in January

Did he retire?

He's stepped way back. Is only on the show a couple times a week. He's got his daughter and three or four other "Ramsey personalities" doing the show most of the time. Still preaching from the same bible, but a bit softer and gentler. And even when he is on, he's a lot more mellow than he used to be.

• Sad
Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
  • The increase in jobs last month easily beat the market estimate and underscores the remarkable strength of the US labor market.
  • The unemployment rate stayed at 3.7%, near the lowest level since the 1960s.
  • Hourly wages rose a sharp .6% in January, the biggest increase in almost two years.
  • The strong labor market has insulated the U.S. from a recession, and if the Fed cuts interest rates this year as expected, the economy could improve enough to stoke more hiring.
  • Inflation is now down to 3% year over year, moving closer to the Fed's goal of 2%.
  • There are almost 5 million more jobs than in Feb 2020 - - just before the pandemic.
  • "The United States has really outperformed relative to other countries for the past year." -Innes McFee, Chief Global Economist for Oxford Economics. The US economy has powered ahead of China, the EU, the UK, Canada and other advanced economies.
Great to see the economy humming in what is still the greatest country on earth.
Trump created tons and tons yet people like you did not care and nobody does now dude. Most live check to check and are not happy.

Mark is so poor, he and his wife eat breakfast cereal with a fork, so they can share the milk.

We don't have much, but we're doing fine with what little we have.

FWIW, my meager little portfolio is sitting at 98% of what it was at its all time high in Jan 2022. Thanks Jay!

We don't have much, but we're doing fine with what little we have.

FWIW, my meager little portfolio is sitting at 98% of what it was at its all time high in Jan 2022. Thanks Jay!
Mark, I wasn't laughing AT you (never have, never will). Well, at least when it comes to money anyway. I will withhold that ability for the future though if any need may arise.
It was totally a joke about you being frugal. Nothing more, nothing less. I heard the joke on some random you tube post, laughed and YOU where the first that popped into my mind.
I think you have more of my respect than you realize. ...Not pillow fight level of respect though, yet. But I'd smack you on the ass and say good job, for identifying an uneven rotor causing braking inconsistencies in a high level game! #smack_mark_azz

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
High prices. Rising unemployment. Slowing economy. Bad look for nov. That’s all Dbm cares about. Tank the season for a new coach
If it has to happen better now than right after the election. Can you imagine Harris and Buttigeg taking over right when a massive recession hits? First move would be more massive stimulus checks and free cheddar.

If it has to happen better now than right after the election. Can you imagine Harris and Buttigeg taking over right when a massive recession hits? First move would be more massive stimulus checks and free cheddar.
Pubs have been calling for a recession ever since Biden won in 2020.

Still waiting lol

I'm confused. Shouldn't you be cheering this? Job growth slowing and unemployment rising would lead to lower inflation, would it not?

Negative economic news is getting me worried... Manufacturing is really plummeting thanks to Biden (am I doing this right?)

kEH8EWr.png

Economic activity in the manufacturing sector contracted in July for the fourth consecutive month and the 20th time in the last 21 months
New Orders and Backlogs Contracting; Production and Employment Contracting; Supplier Deliveries Slowing; Raw Materials Inventories Contracting; Customers' Inventories Too Low; Prices Increasing; Exports and Imports Contracting

Not a great set of circumstances for any macro economist.

Reactions: jet812 and ribbont
lol…that’s f#cking coming no matter what. The only question is how much. Nothing stops this train.

Lift Off Moon GIF by Stakin

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
I'm confused. Shouldn't you be cheering this? Job growth slowing and unemployment rising would lead to lower inflation, would it not?

Unless there is fiscal stimulus, such as rent control, more waiver of student loans, etc. to screw with what the Fed is trying to accomplish.

And remember, when the government prints more money it doesn't have to hand out more checks it doesn't cost the American people anything and doesn't cause any inflation...because the government is the one paying for it.

Negative economic news is getting me worried... Manufacturing is really plummeting thanks to Biden (am I doing this right?)

kEH8EWr.png

Economic activity in the manufacturing sector contracted in July for the fourth consecutive month and the 20th time in the last 21 months
New Orders and Backlogs Contracting; Production and Employment Contracting; Supplier Deliveries Slowing; Raw Materials Inventories Contracting; Customers' Inventories Too Low; Prices Increasing; Exports and Imports Contracting

Not a great set of circumstances for any macro economist.
Trump should do nothing but talk about border prices and this stuff. Don’t get pulled into what race is Harris and all the bs he falls for.

One might ask themselves. How do people square 2% inflation is good, but 6% is bad, so let’s raise rates to get people unemployed?

Reactions: UncleMark
Trump should do nothing but talk about border prices and this stuff. Don’t get pulled into what race is Harris and all the bs he falls for.
I really want Trump to win because it’s a National Security risk for the U.S. if they don’t lead on Bitcoin and adopt a Nation Reserve. Putting that aside, it’s most likely going to be a rough 4 years for whoever the President is.

I really want Trump to win because it’s a National Security risk for the U.S. if they don’t lead on Bitcoin and adopt a Nation Reserve. Putting that aside, it’s most likely going to be a rough 4 years for whoever the President is.
Co-sign. I’m basically a one issue voter at this point. It’s bitcoin. If there’s an argument to be made that there are other more important matters I’m all ears, but I’ve yet to hear it

• Love
Reactions: snarlcakes
Chevron announced today that it is moving its HQ from San Ramon, CA to the Houston area. It and its predecessors have been located in Northern California since 1879 -- when it was founded as Pacific Coast Oil Co. They have approximately 2000 employees at the San Ramon location (and it's safe to assume a lot of them are high comp).

Granted, this is an oil/gas company. So it's not surprising that California would make for an awkward dance partner. This isn't Google or Apple. But I'm looking less at that than I am the exodus of money (and, thus, tax revenues) that CA has lost to other states in recent years.

In 2022, California lost a net of 144K tax filers (307K individuals) to domestic migration. They had 399K move to another state and 255K move from another state to CA. The 399K who moved out took $52.3B in annual taxable income with them. The 255K who moved in brought just $28.5B in AGI with them. So the net loss -- for this single year (preceding years look similar) -- is $23.8B in taxable income.

For reference, the number of CA tax filers who stayed in CA (from 2021) was 15.7M tax returns representing $1.936T. So net migration cost the state ~1.2% of its taxable income. But, again, this only represents a single year. And it's cumulative.

People (and, more importantly, their money) leaving the state is a growing problem for CA. Here's the full state-by-state data for CA net domestic migration.

Screenshot-2024-08-02-111158.png

Chevron announced today that it is moving its HQ from San Ramon, CA to the Houston area. It and its predecessors have been located in Northern California since 1879 -- when it was founded as Pacific Coast Oil Co. They have approximately 2000 employees at the San Ramon location (and it's safe to assume a lot of them are high comp).

Granted, this is an oil/gas company. So it's not surprising that California would make for an awkward dance partner. This isn't Google or Apple. But I'm looking less at that than I am the exodus of money (and, thus, tax revenues) that CA has lost to other states in recent years.

In 2022, California lost a net of 144K tax filers (307K individuals) to domestic migration. They had 399K move to another state and 255K move from another state to CA. The 399K who moved out took $52.3B in annual taxable income with them. The 255K who moved in brought just $28.5B in AGI with them. So the net loss -- for this single year (preceding years look similar) -- is $23.8B in taxable income.

For reference, the number of CA tax filers who stayed in CA (from 2021) was 15.7M tax returns representing $1.936T. So net migration cost the state ~1.2% of its taxable income. But, again, this only represents a single year. And it's cumulative.

People (and, more importantly, their money) leaving the state is a growing problem for CA. Here's the full state-by-state data for CA net domestic migration.

Newsom is awful

Reactions: dbmhoosier and 76-1
Newsom is awful

He is. But this problem goes deeper than Newsom or any other single elected official, past or present. It's a problem that is also plaguing New York and other high tax states. NY lost a net of 108K tax filers and $14.2B of AGI in that same year. IL lost $9.8B in AGI. NJ lost $5.3B.

This is the big reason high-tax state pols (including Republicans) are opposed to the SALT deduction cap: it increases the cost for taxpayers to stay in high tax states and, thus, their incentive to relocate. On top of this, the concept of remote working has really grown in the past 5 years.

He is. But this problem goes deeper than Newsom or any other single elected official, past or present. It's a problem that is also plaguing New York and other high tax states. NY lost a net of 108K tax filers and $14.2B of AGI in that same year. IL lost $9.8B in AGI. NJ lost $5.3B.

This is the big reason high-tax state pols (including Republicans) are opposed to the SALT deduction cap: it increases the cost for taxpayers to stay in high tax states and, thus, their incentive to relocate. On top of this, the concept of remote working has really grown in the past 5 years.
Brace yourself with Harris as the tax spike will follow

Brace yourself with Harris as the tax spike will follow
I'm sure, at the very least, the TCJA cuts will expire on schedule -- at which time we'll be reminded that it wasn't just for rich folks, after all.

But I suspect we're headed for a period of austerity, one way or the other. The current fiscal imbalance is unsustainable, especially with rates high and the entitlement program outlays doing what they're doing. The General Fund is already in the process of paying back the ~$3T it owes the SSTF. And the SSTF is on schedule to be exhausted in about 10 years.

So a tax hike may be inevitable. But we'll see what (if anything) they do on the spending side.

Yeah, this is something to keep an eye on. While the effects of domestic migration have always been a “thing”, they haven’t always been of this magnitude.

I’m sure a whole lot of them are still boomers retiring. And that will eventually slow down. But the cumulative effect on state budgets will be significant — and they’re a zero-sum game between them.

Seeing a larger company like Chevron do it only adds to the pain.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Yeah, this is something to keep an eye on. While the effects of domestic migration have always been a “thing”, they haven’t always been of this magnitude.

I’m sure a whole lot of them are still boomers retiring. And that will eventually slow down. But the cumulative effect on state budgets will be significant — and they’re a zero-sum game between them.

Seeing a larger company like Chevron do it only adds to the pain.
The blue states will respond by raising taxes to make up the shortfall which will only increase the migration. Just watch. These people are that dumb.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT