ADVERTISEMENT

Update . . .

it can be a sign of weakness. Even laziness. It depends.
Asking for help? Strongly disagree. If you need something I can help with, DM me. Seriously.

Coincidentally, had a very good friend of mine that I used to do non-profit work with and just dealt with your health issue with his wife (mid to late 60s?). They had no idea what was wrong with her and finally got the diagnosis. She had the shunts put in to drain the fluid into her abdomen, I guess, and he said it is a night and day difference.

I told him about you and he highly recommended you seek this treatment out to see if it is an option. I hope it is. šŸ¤ž

Last edited:
Asking for help? Strongly disagree. If you need something I can help with, DM me. Seriously.

Coincidentally, had a very good friend of mine that I used to do non-profit work with and just dealt with your health issue with his wife (mid to late 60s?). They had no idea what was wrong with her and finally got the diagnosis. She had the shunts put in to drain the fluid into her abdomen, I guess, and he said it is a night and day difference.

I told him about you and he highly recommended you seek this treatment out to see if it is an option. I hope it is. šŸ¤ž
Good for her. Treatment early in the course of this disease is crucial. Shunts work for up to a year following the knock on the head. Mine was almost two years ago. The neurosurgeon said "NO SHUNT." I've had the spinal tao as a test. That's where this began.

That's why I've implored folks to see their PCP ASAP after a fall. As someone else said above I wouldn't wish this on anybody.

Good for her. Treatment early in the course of this disease is crucial. Shunts work for up to a year following the knock on the head. Mine was almost two years ago. The neurosurgeon said "NO SHUNT." I've had the spinal tao as a test. That's where this began.

That's why I've implored folks to see their PCP ASAP after a fall. As someone else said above I wouldn't wish this on anybody.
Were you misdiagnosed or just outside of treatment timeline by the time you sought out medical help?

Good question.
Were you misdiagnosed or just outside of treatment timeline by the time you sought out medical help?
Good question. I went to my PCP about 6 1/3 months after my fall. The doc said she couldn't do anything for me. I don't know why. May have been that she knew neurology appointments in the SE are a year out - 9 months on an emergency basis. I dunno. But in any case the timing isn't great for me.

That's why I think seeing your PCP early is key. Seeing a neurologist is a must. To do that you need to see a PCP.

Good question.

Good question. I went to my PCP about 6 1/3 months after my fall. The doc said she couldn't do anything for me. I don't know why. May have been that she knew neurology appointments in the SE are a year out - 9 months on an emergency basis. I dunno. But in any case the timing isn't great for me.

That's why I think seeing your PCP early is key. Seeing a neurologist is a must. To do that you need to see a PCP.

What was this initial fall? How serious was it at the time?

Good question.

I hope Iā€™m wrongā€¦but I think your PCP failed you. There is a definitive treatment timeline. They shouldā€™ve moved mountains to make sure you were treated properly.

Reactions: BradStevens
What was this initial fall? How serious was it at the time?
October 6, 2022. It wasn't bad. I drove myself to the clinic to get stitched up. Took only three stitches. but soon thereafter I began falling in places I didn't expect to. On the trails. In restaurants.

it can be a sign of weakness. Even laziness. It depends.
Oh I agree with that but I think a lot of people who really need help think that it's a sign of weakness when it isn't in their case. I've known a couple people who were too darn lazy to get off their butt and would ask their wife to get them a drink when they were able to do it themselves but were too lazy. It's hard for me to accept help but I had back problems a couple years ago where it was a struggle for me to get up and hobble to the bathroom so my wife would fix something to eat at meal time and bring it to me. That was difficult for me because I'm used to doing for myself.

I dunno. Could be. MedMal attys. aren't impressed.
i won't bring it up again but a little background. I think itā€™s worth making some calls

Last edited:
i won't bring it up again but a little background. I think itā€™s worth making some calls

Iā€™m more for shaming the physician publiclyā€¦.if they got the diagnosis wrong.

• Love
Reactions: Sope Creek
Iā€™m more for shaming the physician publiclyā€¦.if they got the diagnosis wrong.
Lawsuits and money fix behavior. Med mal legal system isn't perfect, but I defended docs for a while, and I can tell you first hand that many of them were worried and told me they were more careful because of the threat of those suits.

Sometimes, that pendulum swings too far the other way, though, and docs are too cautious (leads to more expense). Again, tradeoffs. Always tradeoffs.

Reactions: larsIU and DANC
Lawsuits and money fix behavior. Med mal legal system isn't perfect, but I defended docs for a while, and I can tell you first hand that many of them were worried and told me they were more careful because of the threat of those suits.

Sometimes, that pendulum swings too far the other way, though, and docs are too cautious (leads to more expense). Again, tradeoffs. Always tradeoffs.
Lawsuits also inadvertently increase cost on those not involved

Lawsuits also inadvertently increase cost on those not involved
Phil Hartman Yes GIF

sounds like this isn't something that's easy to diagnose. symptoms are associated with aging nad resemble symptoms of other conditions. can also be idiopathic - and while idiopathic a traumatic injury to the head is something that can give rise to it and seems like something worth ruling out. old timers and all that isn't treatable but in a cursory look at this shit it's highly treatable if diagnosed early. somebody fcked up. and given the exorbitant damages it would likely give a carrier pause if there's something there. get sope hooked on gambling w/ all that dough.

sounds like this isn't something that's easy to diagnose. symptoms are associated with aging nad resemble symptoms of other conditions. can also be idiopathic - and while idiopathic a traumatic injury to the head is something that can give rise to it and seems like something worth ruling out. old timers and all that isn't treatable but in a cursory look at this shit it's highly treatable if diagnosed early. somebody fcked up. and given the exorbitant damages it would likely give a carrier pause if there's something there. get sope hooked on gambling w/ all that dough.
Aren't southern states more limited in their settlements? Aren't some states more conducive to winning these types of lawsuits?

the way sope wrote it sounds obscure but we've all heard of it. water on the brain. shit my edibles buddy's dad had it. it was a big deal. kids are born with it
Obviously, I have no idea of the particulars. My issue is with the diagnosis (or lack thereof) and what appears to be a lack of effort to expedite. Hellā€¦.my PCP would have immediately sent me to hospital if I presented with symptoms 6 months out.

Obviously, I have no idea of the particulars. My issue is with the diagnosis (or lack thereof) and what appears to be a lack of effort to expedite. Hellā€¦.my PCP would have immediately sent me to hospital if I presented with symptoms 6 months out.
The problem is that it mirrors symptoms of all kinds of shit. But thatā€™s why you go. And a delayed diagnosis is obviously the negligence. Otherwise appears highly treatable.

What really galls me is that I relied on her statement for so long. I went to get a second opinion and the PCP doc sent me to get an MRI nearly a year later. I think it's a lack referral to get an MRI. That was the key for me.

What really galls me is that I relied on her statement for so long. I went to get a second opinion and the PCP doc sent me to get an MRI nearly a year later. I think it's a lack referral to get an MRI. That was the key for me.
Yesā€¦.use your diagnostic materials that are available to you. Maybe an MRI would not have been immediately covered by insurance (I have my doubts since it was a documented head injury) but you start documentation process immediately. You move the algorithm along as fast as possible.

Wellā€¦.I mean without the documented head injury the correct diagnosis for damn near everything is ā€¦.ā€too many birthdaysā€
I'm not one to complain about much health wise. I have several things now that I should go to a doctor for but don't have a lot of confidence in doctors so I don't go.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Good question.

Are you sure it is untreatable at this time? I mentioned your situation to my neuroradiologist friend (who had been part of the diagnosis and treatment for many cases like yours) and he thought there might be some procedures that could help. Have you been to Emory?

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I think the damages limitation on consequentials to $200,000 has something to do with it, and proof of causation has to do with it too.
F that. 2 year sol. No offense sope but youā€™re in assisted living. Those are serious damages. Iā€™d call your crew of buds and call a half dozen or more med mal attnys. I wouldnā€™t let that go
I think the damages limitation on consequentials to $200,000 has something to do with it, and proof of causation has to do with it too.

I've had a super lawyer medmal atty lecture me that the medmal sol runs from the time of the fall. LOL.

I only hire superlawyers. A buddy of mine a is super lawyer, medmal practitioner in Atlanta. We were on the same mock UN team for a semester in high school.. He won't take the case. He's in my other ear telling me I ought to listen to the super lawyers about whether to file. None of Zev Gershon, Morgan & Morgan and the local bar of medmal practitioners will take the case. Gives me pause about the certitude I feel and see here.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Itā€™s too bad that you feel that way
I think doctors are so rushed that they don't listen to what I have to say and never really spend time thinking about the problem.... on to the next patient. And I am one to keep detail notes before going to a doctor. I don't expect a doctor to help me if I walk in and say "I don't feel good".... they need data... the more specific it is the better. It's hard to describe some things so they understand. For example, how do you describe a specific pain so they can relate to it? I try to think of a pain that they've probably experienced so they can relate to it better. For example, I had back problems and my leg felt like someone was poking needles into my lower leg.

Yep. But the balance difference in getting the knock on the head as opposed to not is palpable. I'm using walker for God's sakes.

I've had a super lawyer medmal atty lecture me that the sol runs from the time of the fall. LOL.

I only hire superlawyers. A buddy of mine a is super lawyer, medmal practitioner in Atlanta. We were on the same mock UN team for a semester in high school.. He won't take the case. He's in my other ear telling me I ought to listen to the super lawyers about whether to file. None of Zev Gershon, Morgan & Morgan and the local bar of medmal practitioners will take the case. Gives me pause about the certitude I feel and see here.
Denny Crane.

Man shows up in Heaven and sees a guy prancing around in a pin-striped suit, briefcase, smoking a cigar. Guy asks St. Peter, ā€œwhoā€™s that guy?ā€

ā€œAh, thatā€™s just God. Thinks he Denny Crane.ā€

I've had a super lawyer medmal atty lecture me that the sol runs from the time of the fall. LOL.

causation for sure but those aren't the damage limits. i really would look into it more sope. there's some big numbers in georgia verdicts. you know it can take a while to get the guy up for it

looks like some conflict but i don't think there's economic/noneconomic caps at all in GA on med mal. just on punies. your life care plan figures alone would be no joke

Last edited:
Are you sure it is untreatable at this time? I mentioned your situation to my neuroradiologist friend (who had been part of the diagnosis and treatment for many cases like yours) and he thought there might be some procedures that could help. Have you been to Emory?
No, I'm not sure. Neurologist on Nov. 25. I'm No. 25 on the waiting list for a cancelation. I've not been to Emory; I'm in Knoxville.

Home of the movement disorders clinic. Parkinson's mostly. Like Black Dog Fitness here. ts a fitness program that focuses on Parkinson's patients. Boxing, strength mostly.

Thank you for your interest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT