ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Power Rankins has IU at #22

Imagine what IU will be like in a couple of years.
I hope you are right. It’s hard for me to see IU achieving and then maintaining a top level team in the long run unless there are major changes to the NIL/portal landscape. It’s just not remotely a level playing field and to compete with the NIL “high rollers” in the B1G and SEC will be a continual challenge for IU.

I hope you are right. It’s hard for me to see IU achieving and then maintaining a top level team in the long run unless there are major changes to the NIL/portal landscape. It’s just not remotely a level playing field and to compete with the NIL “high rollers” in the B1G and SEC will be a continual challenge for IU.
I have been assured by a person employed in the AD office that NIL will not be a problem in either football or basketball. I was surprised and questioned it. Was told we will compete with the big boys. Time will tell.

Yea, idk what NIL we are at now I would guess $4M, probably need to get to $10M somehow to be more of a player. First step is to get out of the bottom of the conference and build some sustained interest in FB.

It is nice that it appears funding the rev share (likely about $16M of that will go to FB) will not be an issue for us, at least by my basic math. Same will be true for most B1G and SEC schools, but not all.

Getting to be a mid pack B1G team that is consistently ranked or getting votes would be a pretty good achievement and likely important for us getting a full cut of the next TV deal.

I don’t know. It’s tough, but I think we are doing the right things at the moment.

Yea, idk what NIL we are at now I would guess $4M, probably need to get to $10M somehow to be more of a player. First step is to get out of the bottom of the conference and build some sustained interest in FB.

It is nice that it appears funding the rev share (likely about $16M of that will go to FB) will not be an issue for us, at least by my basic math. Same will be true for most B1G and SEC schools, but not all.

Getting to be a mid pack B1G team that is consistently ranked or getting votes would be a pretty good achievement and likely important for us getting a full cut of the next TV deal.

I don’t know. It’s tough, but I think we are doing the right things at the moment.
I’m not sure our NIL isn’t already in the $10M neighborhood. Might not even be fully used this year, but the money is available.

We ain’t hurting for NIL money. We can buy some players. And, they are going to be available by the thousands every season going forward. Believe it or not, IU is better in revenue and NIL than a whole host of Big Ten peers. As critical as I have been about Dolson over the years, the guy appears to have vision that his predecessor didn’t have. He got out in front of the NIL game early. No, we won’t be OSU but we have some financial commitment there.

Ohio State has a 20m roster is what i believe I heard on their broadcast the other day.

When you factor in the Big Ten TV deal with each school's NIL pot, the pressure should be high at EVERY conference school to compete AND win....

We ain’t hurting for NIL money. We can buy some players. And, they are going to be available by the thousands every season going forward. Believe it or not, IU is better in revenue and NIL than a whole host of Big Ten peers. As critical as I have been about Dolson over the years, the guy appears to have vision that his predecessor didn’t have. He got out in front of the NIL game early. No, we won’t be OSU but we have some financial commitment there.
I think Dolson wised up with the conference mergers. He accurately realized that if Indiana doesn't take football seriously, their piece of the next TV deal would be cut in half.

I haven't been impressed by Dolson but it looks like I may soon do a u turn in that regard!

Scott has done a good job and I think he will keep building. But we are the bottom quarter or bottom third in FB NIL in the conference. We are hardly “ain’t hurting” for NIL.

I think Dolson wised up with the conference mergers. He accurately realized that if Indiana doesn't take football seriously, their piece of the next TV deal would be cut in half.

I haven't been impressed by Dolson but it looks like I may soon do a u turn in that regard!
I read where SD said basically that’s why he raised the funds to fire CTA - to show the world IU wants to be taken seriously in the coming college FB culture.

It was in some obscure sports business journal I think.

Imagine what IU will be like in a couple of years.
We need to enjoy the ride 1 game at a time. Most on here were considering 6 wins this year a success. Six wins was the floor for me and 8 as a total success.
I see wild predictions on here and I remember the letdown in ‘21 when some wild predictions were on here about B1G championship and an undefeated season.
Let’s be realistic and realize our season so far parallels the ‘20 season in that we haven’t beaten any team with a winning record.
Hopes are different from expectations. Games are going to be tougher as we go and if/when we lose some I don’t want to see the casual fans disappear.
I’m going to stick with reasonable expectations and hope the casual fans stay for more than a minute.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT