ADVERTISEMENT

Update . . .

IU a trap game?
Oh, it is IU they are playing that weekend, who knew :).

For the first time in a long time we have a coach that will not go into that game expecting to lose, just hoping to keep it close. Of course if I were betting straight up, I would take tO$U. But if he believes, I'll play the part. We can win that game.

UCLA will keep DeShaun there another year. I doubt Florida - the expections are sky high and he's got a good thing going at IU. Anything 8 wins or above here and he's a god. Dolson will match, or come damn close, to any other offers.

If anything, I'd be more worried about the NFL. Carolina desperately needs a coach.

Yep, coaching in the NFL releases a coach of a major headache...RECRUITING.

Harbaugh could explain it better than I can :).

Reactions: DANC and stollcpa
Yep, coaching in the NFL releases a coach of a major headache...RECRUITING.

Harbaugh could explain it better than I can :).
With the portal, traditional recruiting is changing. Now the Georgias will recruit Sophs from good but not great programs instead of recruiting high school kids. Sure, they'll still go for the really elite high school kids, but the bulk of the roster will come from the best sophs/jrs at an IU, who will be then taking the best kids at a Miami of Ohio. Now, will that be better or worse than dealing with trying to recruit 20 freshmen?

With the portal, traditional recruiting is changing. Now the Georgias will recruit Sophs from good but not great programs instead of recruiting high school kids. Sure, they'll still go for the really elite high school kids, but the bulk of the roster will come from the best sophs/jrs at an IU, who will be then taking the best kids at a Miami of Ohio. Now, will that be better or worse than dealing with trying to recruit 20 freshmen?
My undergrad is now taking nil tips at concessions in the stadium. It’s all too much

Reactions: larsIU
I think Cig will do very well in the portal, because he's looking for a particular type of player and has shown the ability to bring out the best in him.

I look at an Aiden Fisher. Undersized, but football smart and a tremendous motor. Like our own Micah McFadden, except I think Fisher is smaller. And if you listen to the interviews of these players, they are serious guys who are there to work. I'm not saying we didn't get good players before, but I don't think their head was in the game like these guys are.

I think Cig and Deboer have a lot in common - they're football guys who aren't into being 'players coaches'. They're no-nonsense guys who are there to win.

It's taken us a long time to find a coach like that.

With roster sizes going to 105 players, meaning teams now can have that many players on scholarship (up from 85), it'll be interesting how teams fill their roster with a balance of high school recruiting/portal additions.

We're about to see less walk-ons I'd imagine as well.

I think you’re wrong on this Marvin. Kids want to play and kid paid. Indiana now has the ability to pay these kids and get them to IU, especially QBs. We have never been in a better position.
98% of these players aren’t going to the NFL and a lot of the players who make it are out of the league within 3 years.

Recruits are going to quickly realize there time to get paid is in college and schools like IU have the ability to do that. If you were a 5 star QB would rather get paid a million to go to Texas and sit behind Manning or get paid a million and come to IU? Sure, most will still choose the better programs, but Indiana at least has a chance now to get them with NIL. A million dollars is a million dollars.

Tom Cruise GIF by Jerology

Last edited:
I think you’re wrong on this Marvin. Kids want to play and kid paid. Indiana now has the ability to pay these kids and get them to IU, especially QBs. We have never been in a better position.
98% of these players aren’t going to the NFL and a lot of the players who make to the NFL are out of the league within 3 years.

Recruits are going to quickly realize there time to get paid is in college and schools like IU have the ability to do that. If you were a 5 star QB would rather get paid a million to go to Texas and sit behind Manning or get paid a million and come to IU? Sure, most will still choose the better programs, but Indiana at least has a chance now to get them with NIL. A million dollars is a million dollars.

I think we’re seeing that with mizzou now

Reactions: snarlcakes
98% of these players aren’t going to the NFL and a lot of the players who make it are out of the league within 3 years.

Kids will come to an IU to start as freshmen and sophomores. But then leave for Georgia to play for a national title. So just like our portal this year, we will replace many with juniors and seniors from small schools, kids who want to play on TV every week.

Even if we get to selling out every game, our 55000 compared to Ohio State's 110,000 gives them a big money advantage.

So if we have a freshman and sophomore Penix 2, why would he want to stay here as a junior and senior when he can get more money, more title opportunities, more NFL buzz, by going to Georgia.

Kids will come to an IU to start as freshmen and sophomores. But then leave for Georgia to play for a national title. So just like our portal this year, we will replace many with juniors and seniors from small schools, kids who want to play on TV every week.

Even if we get to selling out every game, our 55000 compared to Ohio State's 110,000 gives them a big money advantage.

So if we have a freshman and sophomore Penix 2, why would he want to stay here as a junior and senior when he can get more money, more title opportunities, more NFL buzz, by going to Georgia.
I’m not sure it’s not just becoming a moot issue. I see major sports in this country being squeezed out and stadiums repurposed

Reactions: Marvin the Martian

Here's the thing though.... teams like Georgia and Ohio State will also lose some players because with 105 players on a roster going forward, not everyone can play.

We're also not struggling in NIL. McCulley could have left for a bag, he stayed. Smith could have definitely left for a bag, he stayed. Both those guys were pursued by Florida State and Ole Miss, both teams that aren't hurting for NIL dollars. We got CJ West late, we had to pony up for him. Hell, look at Lewis, who were in the final group with. He's gonna get NIL wherever he goes... he'd get it here if he chose to. That's going up against USC and Colorado, who both have NIL.

We're going to lose guys, but we're going to get some guys as well, especially if we show we can win at a solid clip.

a bigger D&D geek than me.
it's really funny how you end up into stuff. and random i think. my minion has started golf. my ex lives on a golf course. and he likes it okay. and i have him heavy into soccer already and he likes that too. he's excellent. this summer he's been to the beach, and six flags multiple times, and gone horseback riding, and alpine rollercoaster riding, and all the stuff a minion would love. yet we were at the science center and he got behind the wheel of a combine they had there and it was pure magic. then we were at bass pro shop and he was sitting behind the wheel of a boat and didn't know i was looking as i caught a picture of him that was the expression of pure bliss. that's what that boy loves. being behind the wheel. of somethin. anything. monster truck. boat. combine. instead of the next messi or tiger woods he might be ricky bobby

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT