ADVERTISEMENT

Under three, 4 point lead and the ball.

Rockport Zebra

All-American
Jan 30, 2002
Why would you call a time out? What are you going to impart to the situation? Get the ball down low to Jackson, you can do that with signals to the team from the bench. Everything worked out due to the inbounds foul but nothing that could of been said during that time out had anything to do with the play in the final transitions of the game. Why call the time out, just run clock and get the ball down low. Well we aren't out yet.

Why would you call a time out? What are you going to impart to the situation? Get the ball down low to Jackson, you can do that with signals to the team from the bench. Everything worked out due to the inbounds foul but nothing that could of been said during that time out had anything to do with the play in the final transitions of the game. Why call the time out, just run clock and get the ball down low. Well we aren't out yet.
You do realize Cam had 3 time outs?

Whatever he told them, it worked!

27 and 16 for TJD down low. Thank god Miller read your post to the team at half time.

Whatever he told them, it worked!
No it didn't what he told them had nothing to do with the outcome. Maybe he told them, "Inbound the ball and we will get fouled". You may be right and I may be wrong when considering coaching philosophy but I am in the camp a that says don't call time out, don't let Pitino talk with his team, inbound the ball and thumbs down signals from the bench get the ball to Davis.

No it didn't what he told them had nothing to do with the outcome. Maybe he told them, "Inbound the ball and we will get fouled". You may be right and I may be wrong when considering coaching philosophy but I am in the camp a that says don't call time out, don't let Pitino talk with his team, inbound the ball and thumbs down signals from the bench get the ball to Davis.
Wet brain much?

Reactions: Radio Zero
We win on the road and you're complaining about a T.O the coach makes down the stretch? Really!?! Have you seen this team play? Bad passes, bad decisions, players not on the same page. Maybe he had a certain play in mind to do just what you suggest. Signal from the bench and hope they run the right play. Then watch a pass slip through someone fingers, yea, that's why we dont coach
We won, period. Bad timeouts and all

OK the point is what did he really have to say? Run the clock and get the ball down low. Start the clock with and inbounds and avoid the full court trap.
How you know he wasn’t talking defense or giving the guys a breather. You also know the main offense plays are to get the ball down low doesn’t mean they do it.

Reactions: kkott

What a dumb complaint: there are tons of reasons: maybe he wanted to get one of our guys (TJD perhaps?) a breather without taking him out of the game. Maybe he wanted to make a change to address their press or D, maybe he wanted to remind someone about their foul situation or point out the other team's (think Rob had 4) or again get them a rest so they don't foul from being tired, maybe he just wanted to calm them down, reassert that we have control (we haven't been the most confident team in case you haven't noticed) and get them refocused to close out a game. There are tons of reasons to take a timeout... that's what they are for. And, oh yeah: it worked fine!

You have no idea what issue he wanted to address. Nothing like trying to seperate the pepper from the fly crap.

What a dumb complaint: there are tons of reasons: maybe he wanted to get one of our guys (TJD perhaps?) a breather without taking him out of the game. Maybe he wanted to make a change to address their press or D, maybe he wanted to remind someone about their foul situation or point out the other team's (think Rob had 4) or again get them a rest so they don't foul from being tired, maybe he just wanted to calm them down, reassert that we have control (we haven't been the most confident team in case you haven't noticed) and get them refocused to close out a game. There are tons of reasons to take a timeout... that's what they are for. And, oh yeah: it worked fine!
Other possibilities: Use clock and no quick shots unless it's a sure thing. No crazy passes, be safe with the ball. Be prepared for full court pressure.

Another possiblity "Don't crap yourselves". Could have been alot of things.

Yeah, as I've watched this year, really the biggest thing missing from this team is confidence and focus. I can certainly see taking a timeout, just to call the guys together to get a breather and get them refocused and make sure everyone's on the same page. With the temperament of this team, I might be more critical if he didn't take a timeout. We don't know why he called it, but the main point is it was a perfectly valid thing to do.

Yeah, as I've watched this year, really the biggest thing missing from this team is confidence and focus. I can certainly see taking a timeout, just to call the guys together to get a breather and get them refocused and make sure everyone's on the same page. With the temperament of this team, I might be more critical if he didn't take a timeout. We don't know why he called it, but the main point is it was a perfectly valid thing to do.
maybe to give TJD a breather. He played 35 min last night and we rode him hard. And yeah, enforce the idea of 'not crapping ourselves now' like we did against Maryland. Whatever reason, it worked.

Reactions: MrBing and minneman
To draw up an offensive play? To give instructions on what he wanted on defense? Maybe he saw a mistake in how we set up and wanted to correct it? Maybe he saw an advantage in how Minne set up and wanted adjust to it. Maybe he wanted to instruct the guards (who btw need instruction) on how to handle end game.

???

Last edited:
We've already blown multiple games this year when we were in a similar situation, maybe he wanted to make sure it didn't happen again. I've been as hard on Archie as anyone but you're reaching here.

Reactions: minneman
OK the point is what did he really have to say? Run the clock and get the ball down low. Start the clock with and inbounds and avoid the full court trap.
I think this team has shown you need to tell them repeatedly and scream it from the sidelines as well. Similar to a Jr. High team they need the constant external motivation.

Well I have been trashed. OK. My side of the issue is it gave Pitino a free timeout to set up a press, talk about defense and what to do with a miss or a make for free. If our team doesn't know what to do in late season in that situation without stopping the clock then we are overpaying. The only post that makes any logic is Davis needed a blow. I can buy that, all other arguments are debatable.

Well I have been trashed. OK. My side of the issue is it gave Pitino a free timeout to set up a press, talk about defense and what to do with a miss or a make for free. If our team doesn't know what to do in late season in that situation without stopping the clock then we are overpaying. The only post that makes any logic is Davis needed a blow. I can buy that, all other arguments are debatable.

The other team gets timeouts too, so it's somewhat moot unless they were out or down to 1, plus what they'd done for 36 minutes to that point hadn't worked, including 20 minutes at half for Pitino to work his strategic genius. I think you're confusing when announcers question a timeout when you have a particular setup for an inbounds play so the other coach can't try and decipher what you are doing. With 4 minutes left, as has been pointed out, there are a multitude of reasons. Everyone's frustrated that the season hasn't gone better and is being critical of Archie (if I hear another rant about over-hedging...), so you're in good company, but that wasn't/isn't a bad move, and you only have to go back to MD to rethink it and see why.

To draw up an offensive play? To give instructions on what he wanted on defense? Maybe he saw a mistake in how we set up and wanted to correct it? Maybe he saw an advantage in how Minne set up and wanted adjust to it. Maybe he wanted to instruct the guards (who btw need instruction) on how to handle end game.

???
I thought it was a great time out and I needed to go to the bathroom. :D

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT