ADVERTISEMENT

Typical IU football

The problem is that they gave Lagow the job, in part, because he was able to best enhance the most skilled position group on the team (the receivers). When they chased him in favor of Ramsey, the offense necessarily changed, the receivers have been diminished, and IU is easier to defend. Every defensive coordinator would rather face PR knowing he can't match up in either the horizontal or vertical passing game, and they crowd the box as a result.

Lagow was higher risk, but he was also much higher reward. Unfortunately, things like this happen when the head coach turns over one side of the ball to a coordinator. It was a mistake under Wilson and it continues to be a mistake with Allen.

In complete agreement with this - I originally thought Ramsey was the answer and I was wrong. Lagow opens up so much and our offense is so much more explosive. With Ramsey, he is doing is his best with what he has, but he's just moving chains. We had 35 first downs today. What takes Ramsey 8 first downs to get takes Lagow 3. Ramsey is good and will be better, but Simmie Cobbs has a chance to go over 200 yards receiving if Lagow is playing QB.

Ramsey holds onto the ball so much in the pocket because he realizes he can't make that throw. Lagow's problem is he almost throws a pick 6 because he thinks he can hit a 5 yard hitch route with a 35 yard pass from the opposite hash (yes, courtsensetwo, I am agreeing with your point to an extent). Ramsey's brain in Lagow's body would be dangerous.

I think Rich got the raw end of the deal in Virginia. Rich is capable of hot and cold performances, going back to last year. His hot is pretty dang good though because he can make all of the passes.

Ramsey can only make certain throws and it limits the play book. He missed two WIDE open targets against Maryland that would've been walk in TDs. He and Diamont are head scratchers, their throwing ability just isn't good enough.

In complete agreement with this - I originally thought Ramsey was the answer and I was wrong. Lagow opens up so much and our offense is so much more explosive. With Ramsey, he is doing is his best with what he has, but he's just moving chains. We had 35 first downs today. What takes Ramsey 8 first downs to get takes Lagow 3. Ramsey is good and will be better, but Simmie Cobbs has a chance to go over 200 yards receiving if Lagow is playing QB.

Ramsey holds onto the ball so much in the pocket because he realizes he can't make that throw. Lagow's problem is he almost throws a pick 6 because he thinks he can hit a 5 yard hitch route with a 35 yard pass from the opposite hash (yes, courtsensetwo, I am agreeing with your point to an extent). Ramsey's brain in Lagow's body would be dangerous.

The throw you're talking about should have been a pick 6, to seal the game for MD.....and you know what....Lagow's always going to make that throw. He's a moron, in terms of football IQ. He also lacks mental and physical toughness.

We threw the football all over the field today, until we needed to. Lagow's never going to produce a winning drive in a tough situation. Never has, never will.

Reactions: IUgradman
I have been watching this for over 40 years so I am not surprised. At least we have a competitive roster and are not losing by 35 points like we use to do.
Not losing by 35 points, but constantly losing none-the-less, is a shallow aspiration. Being more competitive means nothing if you don't win. At this point, they can only beat teams from non-football schools and schools just a step above NAIA

His seat will not be warmer after one year. That's surest way to being Cleveland Browns of B10. Give him a full season and recruiting class before even think of replacing him talk. Silly.
Oh, I agree completely. The only way he should be fired is if someone proved he broke the rules in some big way; as Capt. Renault says in Casablanca: Did you abscond with the church funds? Did you sleep with a senator's wife? I'd like to think you killed a man -- it's the romantic in me."
Otherwise, firing him after one season is a serious mistake and the wrong thing to do.

They had same stats last year except Blough was less efficient. This is stupid. We're on two different pages here - you're comparing Blough this year, I'm comparing Blough last year. We obviously have different views about the CAUSE of Richard Lagow's performance this year. I would argue the offensive staff last year was better than what we have this year. To me, it has little to do with Lagow's accuracy, check-down, decision making, etc. and more to do with continuity of a quality offensive coaching staff. You are of the complete opposite opinion. Agree to disagree. Not saying you're wrong, just that I disagree. We're back to where we started. Great.

Peace.

The only comment I will make here is that while RLs stats may have been similar to Blough last year, RL had a much better receiving corps and did again even this year, he had a better running game in support as well. I saw maybe 10 min of their game last night and the poor guy puts the ball on the money but drop drop drop. I would take him here any day.

Last edited:
Was curious about something. There was a time when if we said anything about Lynch we would get a love letter from a mod saying basically watch it buddy. Just noticed his name earlier in the thread and was curious if that same rule applies still?

In terms of yesterday. Frustrating. Extremely frustrating. Vegas had IU as a road favorite (5.5) for a reason. I'll get to the coaching staff at the end of the year when I evaluate a whole first year season for them. During the game though....eventually a player has to step up and say I'm making this tackle or this stop or I'm running past the first down marker to make sure I get first down,etc....players have to step up.

Reactions: lorenaimee
I'm in the minority here but I don't think throwing a bunch of money at a coach does jack squat for IU football. You cannot have success here. Period. Be it, Allen, Urban, Saban or any of the above. None could do anything here. This program is literally doomed and toxic for coaches. We should keep it going just to maintain conference status but that's as far as we need to go.
This is ridiculous. Just because your Tom Lumbardi can't win doesn't mean a good coach can't. This Wilson-Allen debacle will haunt us for years.

This is ridiculous. Just because your Tom Lumbardi can't win doesn't mean a good coach can't. This Wilson-Allen debacle will haunt us for years.

I don't know what the future will hold with Allen but Wilson was no better. Tell me that this same crap didn't go on when he was here. We earn a little respect against the big boys and then piss it away against terrible teams.

The team is still playing with a lot of injuries, a young O line, new QB and entire new offensive coaching staff and playing a lot of youngsters.
Isn't it always something with IU football? If not one thing, then another. IU football fans are the downtrodden bottom feeders of sports entertainment. We carry on only because that is what we are conditioned to do. It's the only thing we know...that and Lordy, it will be a long winter if we don't beat Purdue.

I don't know what the future will hold with Allen but Wilson was no better. Tell me that this same crap didn't go on when he was here. We earn a little respect against the big boys and then piss it away against terrible teams.

Wilson brought IU out of the sewer and into the front yard. Sadly his management style was incongruent with IUs standards, his in game decision making skills were inconsistent and his recruiting waned.

The quick hire of TA will remain controversial unless and until he moves the program forward. That will include recruiting and winning the close games. Third season will be the determination, until then it is just fan chatter.

Wilson brought IU out of the sewer and into the front yard. Sadly his management style was incongruent with IUs standards, his in game decision making skills were inconsistent and his recruiting waned.

The quick hire of TA will remain controversial unless and until he moves the program forward. That will include recruiting and winning the close games. Third season will be the determination, until then it is just fan chatter.

Wilson's recruiting was never that good especially when you factor in what should have been some boosts that he had nothing to do with. The upgrade in facilities and the creation of divisions and IU being in with the top programs in the conference and on national tv 3 or 4 times a year. Wilson's only advantage that he brought was a B12 offensive scheme that other team's were not ready for. That advantage was tailing off every year as was the recruiting which was never that great to begin with. Wilson was not the great messiah of IU football IMO. He got us to bowl games in about half the seasons we should have.

Well dink and dunk offense is not going to do it in the big ten. Other teams crowd the line of scrimmage. With Ramsey all we do is short passes and because the other teams know it he can't run it well either they know what's coming. He tried going long a couple of times and badly missed the receivers. Would have been two touchdowns. He is not accurate on long throws. CTA became enamored with Ramsey's performance against Virginia and apparently thought he would be able to do that against teams that were prepared for him. He isn't fast enough or evasive enough, and with his leg injuries he may not be able to run well at all now. Let's hope he isn't hurt badly.
I think Allen benched Lagow way too soon. He looked sharp yesterday, had a nice touch on the ball to Cobbs in the end zone, moved around in the pocket and checked down. He should start and bring Ramsey as a change of pace. But I don't think it will happen.
I have to say that Cobbs is either over rated or under performing. He never seems to get separation from the CB and most everything they throw to him is on the sideline. Other teams have noticed.
Having two kicks blocked on special teams has nothing to do with Maryland's team speed but everything to do with Indiana players not doing their job.
Maryland pulled the injured player trick six times during the game in order to slow IU down and it worked. Allen complained to the refs about it but it did no good. A rule change is needed but I don't look for it to happen.
The rest of this season doesn't look good, if Ramsey continues to start, if we don't start throwing balls beyond th the first down marker, and we don't find some way to correct the special teams. If it just more of the same old, same old, then I would have to agree with another thread. The Indiana coaching staff is stuck on stupid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT