ADVERTISEMENT

Typical IU football

I think the combination of Lagow and Ramsey has a greater upside than that of either player on his own.

It's the Excuse Du Jour, edging out historical conspiratorial officiating bias. The Unicorn Society had us a little higher in the standings by this point in the season.

It's sad because I used to only be a football fan, not basketball, because of Tom Crean. Now I like the Miller hire and might be a basketball fan, not football. Ultimately though, I don't think I'll be able to really appreciate IU athletics until Fred Glass is gone.

The excuses have to stop. We aren't paying Tom Allen lots of money so that we can blame our losses on Peyton Ramsey.

It's sad because I used to only be a football fan, not basketball, because of Tom Crean. Now I like the Miller hire and might be a basketball fan, not football. Ultimately though, I don't think I'll be able to really appreciate IU athletics until Fred Glass is gone.

The excuses have to stop. We aren't paying Tom Allen lots of money so that we can blame our losses on Peyton Ramsey.
Hate to break the news to you but you are not a fan period. You might want to buy a Houston Astros jersey. I suggest you wait on that though because you might be bitterly disappointed later this week.

Glass can raise money and build facilities, which are good traits. But his lack of experience in hiring and managing coaches really hurts him and is the reason why he's not particularly well regarded.

Reactions: Aye U Hooz Yours

I think this is where as fans we get it wrong. This isn’t necessarily a FG issue. What does it get us to exchange FG 1.0 for FG 2.0? The same type of hire is going to be made is what I am saying. This is an athletics culture issue at IU that will not change I am afraid. When did this start? I’m not sure exactly but the big measurable change was with Brand. I just don’t see us ever hiring a coach and letting him coach. Mich St decision to play the RB would NEVER be aloud here.... but that is the difference between approaches. Because of this, we will always be at a disadvantage

The Michigan State running back was arrested multiple times for driving without a valid license. Granted it is more serious than tearing the "do not remove" label off a mattress. But he was not selling heroin or committing murder. Or even getting arrested at a concert.

The Michigan State running back was arrested multiple times for driving without a valid license. Granted it is more serious than tearing the "do not remove" label off a mattress. But he was not selling heroin or committing murder. Or even getting arrested at a concert.
Way too much was made of that, especially after the very light punishments that IU hoops players "suffered" for all kinds of drug and alcohol related incidents, including one where a kid was nearly killed.

Reactions: fpeaugh
Don't get rid of the coach. No coaching changes can overcome the problems of IU football. It's a dumpster fire of a program. The faces change but the results don't. Just time to accept this program for what it is: a cursed group of choke artists every single season. It doesn't matter the names in the coaching seats or the players. They choke. It's what they do. And, it is almost guaranteed to never change. I've embraced the fact we will lose out this year and then the PR campaign for next year begins as to how everything looks bright.

Embrace the "suck." That's IU football. It's like clockwork. It will not change.

Reactions: JYEAH23
Don't get rid of the coach. No coaching changes can overcome the problems of IU football. It's a dumpster fire of a program. The faces change but the results don't. Just time to accept this program for what it is: a cursed group of choke artists every single season. It doesn't matter the names in the coaching seats or the players. They choke. It's what they do. And, it is almost guaranteed to never change. I've embraced the fact we will lose out this year and then the PR campaign for next year begins as to how everything looks bright.

Embrace the "suck." That's IU football. It's like clockwork. It will not change.

No. You have to keep trying. Giving up is not an option. Every other school comes back from down periods. Iowa State was 3-9 last year. Now look where they are.

Not saying it will turn out the same but coach K was 38-47 his 3 years at Duke. Just saying you have to a little patent with a new coach. If fans or the AD at Duke was like fans then they would have never kept coach K and had their success. Coach Mallory was 0-11 his first year at IU and then turned it around by year 4 or 5.

Year 3. 6-5 and bowling in year 3

Nfw Opie gets 4 or 5 years

That said.. whatever gets fanboy Freddy fired...im all for

Reactions: IUgradman
Just jump off a bridge because it quicker. Yes we should be upset with the loss but some of you guys just go over board with some stupid post.
No jumping off the bridge. But concern that very little progress is being made, if you consider the real measure of this progress actual victories. The weary IU football fan is way past moral victories and barely scraping out six wins a season. But any long time fan should not be surprised by any of this once again. This is IU football. New leadership, new facilities, old results. Progress rings hollow if you are still losing. Six losses are guaranteed this year IMHO, and none of the "winnable games", like the one today, are guaranteed. If this team loses seven or even eight, this would not be surprising to me in the least.

Hate to break the news to you but you are not a fan period. You might want to buy a Houston Astros jersey. I suggest you wait on that though because you might be bitterly disappointed later this week.

Mmm...if you knew me I was pretty die hard IU football. The KW firing got to me and I disappeared (and will disappear again so don't worry), but I could've named IU football's 2 deep off the top of my head last year and the last 5 years. I've worked with Zach Davis-Walker and Dan Rutigliano and would objectively say I keep up with the current state of IU football much more than them. Anyways, thanks for letting me know my true me - glad I was able to find myself on an IU football message board. Soul searching done, whew!

Reactions: bang63
Someone pour gasoline on this dumpster and light the match already.

A terrible Maryland team just hung 42 on us. 0-5 in the Big Ten. Anyone know Allen's buyout? Asking for a friend.

Who's setting up the gofundme account?

We aren't paying Tom Allen lots of money so that we can blame our losses on Peyton Ramsey.

Psst....I'll let you in on a little secret.....we're really not paying our coach lots of money

Oh sure, he makes much more than the average auto worker, but for a P5 school, he's making squat.

Reactions: td75 and IUgradman
Year 3. 6-5 and bowling in year 3

Nfw Opie gets 4 or 5 years

That said.. whatever gets fanboy Freddy fired...im all for
Allen will get 4 or 5 years if Glass is still running it. Remember, Fred wanted to keep Crean and, without the efforts of a certain trustee, he would've succeeded.

QB play was not an issue last year. Lagow last year was the 6th ranked QB in the Big Ten in terms of rating. Ranked 2nd in yards per attempt. Lots of teams would have taken last year's Richard Lagow as their QB. Lagow threw 5 INTs against Wake and bringing in a second QB was never a question.

This year's Lagow is a bad analogy, because we don't know what this year's Lagow would have been with continuity of the offensive coaching staff.

RL had many issues we all hoped would improve over the summer. Decision making, inability to check down, mobility, accuracy, etc. I predicted he would be on a short leash this season and replaced quickly sans improvement. How many BIG teams would he start for? No one wants to answer that.

Hopefully TA Will be able to to recruit QB, receiver, RB and Oline more successfully going forward.

If you stopped being a basketball fan just because of the coach we don't want you back now. If you desert your team in the bad times no need to come back when it gets better.

Reactions: cryano
Indiana stinks, football is a stain and they're a wannabe basketball school. Real basketball schools don't go on a thirty year dry run. Hell, football schools have won multiple titles in basketball since 87. They've always let football starve, bastards.

No jumping off the bridge. But concern that very little progress is being made, if you consider the real measure of this progress actual victories. The weary IU football fan is way past moral victories and barely scraping out six wins a season. But any long time fan should not be surprised by any of this once again. This is IU football. New leadership, new facilities, old results. Progress rings hollow if you are still losing. Six losses are guaranteed this year IMHO, and none of the "winnable games", like the one today, are guaranteed. If this team loses seven or even eight, this would not be surprising to me in the least.
I have been watching this for over 40 years so I am not surprised. At least we have a competitive roster and are not losing by 35 points like we use to do.

Indiana stinks, football is a stain and they're a wannabe basketball school. Real basketball schools don't go on a thirty year dry run. Hell, football schools have won multiple titles in basketball since 87. They've always let football starve, bastards.

IU can be great again in basketball with the right coach. The athletics department has been woefully mismanaged for decades so the results have not been great. I think Archie will bring us back to elite status, maybe as early as next season. Football is a different story. The commitment to the program financially is there it's just that the AD is a moron when it comes to hiring coaches.

IU can be great again in basketball with the right coach. The athletics department has been woefully mismanaged for decades so the results have not been great. I think Archie will bring us back to elite status, maybe as early as next season. Football is a different story. The commitment to the program financially is there it's just that the AD is a moron when it comes to hiring coaches.
You mean the same moron that just hired Archie the coach you just said could turn IU basketball around. Some of you guys need to stop drinking and posting and get off the ledge.

You mean the same moron that just hired Archie the coach you just said could turn IU basketball around. Some of you guys need to stop drinking and posting and get off the ledge.

He had help with that one. Glass has made two shitty football hires and kept Crean around too long.

Reactions: bang63
Fred didn't drive the Archie hire. He wanted to keep Crean.

Lots O frustration after this loss. Dumb posts people wouldn't normally make. Both FB hires are his and while the KW thing didn't work out TA May still. If not, it is on Glass.

If the Trustees cared about hoops they would not have fought Glass about firing Crean. They were satisfied with just being clean with good students.
Glass wanted to keep Crean. A certain trustee absolutely drove Fred to come to a different conclusion, and Fred followed suit and relieved Crean of his duties. The trustees were, in no way, impediments to Crean's removal.

If you stopped being a basketball fan just because of the coach we don't want you back now. If you desert your team in the bad times no need to come back when it gets better.

Oh well, ok, fair enough. I mean I don't have to. I was huge IU football fan back when we were winning 3 games under BL though so I'm definitely not fair-weather. If anything, I have more of an affinity for losing teams. I was a Cubs fan until they started winning and then everyone else jumped on. I usually always like the players, but if I dislike a coach or management/administration, it's hard for me to like the team. I like Miller. I think he'll be good. And I like Allen (though I don't think he's proven anything as a head coach - the most he's proven was coaching a Ben Davis high school team with 2 NFL players to an 8 win season), I just liked KW better, and I hated that whole situation, and I hate Fred Glass.

I'm in the minority here but I don't think throwing a bunch of money at a coach does jack squat for IU football. You cannot have success here. Period. Be it, Allen, Urban, Saban or any of the above. None could do anything here. This program is literally doomed and toxic for coaches. We should keep it going just to maintain conference status but that's as far as we need to go.

RL had many issues we all hoped would improve over the summer. Decision making, inability to check down, mobility, accuracy, etc. I predicted he would be on a short leash this season and replaced quickly sans improvement. How many BIG teams would he start for? No one wants to answer that.

Hopefully TA Will be able to to recruit QB, receiver, RB and Oline more successfully going forward.

No one wants to answer that because you're saying 'I told you so' but ignoring the fact that things usually don't work out well for QBs that go through two offensive coordinators in two years. And yes, several other Big Ten teams would take Lagow. He had a higher QB rating than Clayton Thorson and Tommy Armstrong last year.

I think we need to wake up and realize that player development is the only way we're going to move up in the Big Ten East. We won't be out-recruiting Michigan St., Michigan, Penn St., or Ohio State for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: IUgradman
Take some deep breaths. Calm down. I still think we are on track for a third-consecutive 6-6 season, and another bowl game played closer to Christmas Day than New Year's Day.
If we don't accomplish that, then Tom Allen's seat most likely begins growing a little bit warmer.
His seat will not be warmer after one year. That's surest way to being Cleveland Browns of B10. Give him a full season and recruiting class before even think of replacing him talk. Silly.

No one wants to answer that because you're saying 'I told you so' but ignoring the fact that things usually don't work out well for QBs that go through two offensive coordinators in two years. And yes, several other Big Ten teams would take Lagow. He had a higher QB rating than Clayton Thorson and Tommy Armstrong last year.

I think we need to wake up and realize that player development is the only way we're going to move up in the Big Ten East. We won't be out-recruiting Michigan St., Michigan, Penn St., or Ohio State for the foreseeable future.

RL didn't work out last year.

I would take Blough in a heartbeat.

The problem is that they gave Lagow the job, in part, because he was able to best enhance the most skilled position group on the team (the receivers). When they chased him in favor of Ramsey, the offense necessarily changed, the receivers have been diminished, and IU is easier to defend. Every defensive coordinator would rather face PR knowing he can't match up in either the horizontal or vertical passing game, and they crowd the box as a result.

Lagow was higher risk, but he was also much higher reward. Unfortunately, things like this happen when the head coach turns over one side of the ball to a coordinator. It was a mistake under Wilson and it continues to be a mistake with Allen.

As for Lagow, he would compete for the starting jobs at Purdue, Illinois, Iowa, and Minnesota. Ramsey would struggle to be a back up at any of those places.

Reactions: td75
RL didn't work out last year.

I would take Blough in a heartbeat.

They had same stats last year except Blough was less efficient. This is stupid. We're on two different pages here - you're comparing Blough this year, I'm comparing Blough last year. We obviously have different views about the CAUSE of Richard Lagow's performance this year. I would argue the offensive staff last year was better than what we have this year. To me, it has little to do with Lagow's accuracy, check-down, decision making, etc. and more to do with continuity of a quality offensive coaching staff. You are of the complete opposite opinion. Agree to disagree. Not saying you're wrong, just that I disagree. We're back to where we started. Great.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT