ADVERTISEMENT

Truth imitates fiction.

CO. Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001
About that Russian Convoy north of Kyiv:

I have posted on twitter about the Russian Army columns North of Kyiv decaying into immobile blobs due to the Rasputitsa, poorly maintained Chinese truck tires and shear “follow the plan” Russian incompetence.
The head and first dozen or so kilometers of the southernmost column north of Kiev have been stuck there for EIGHT DAYS. The Russians have since rammed more and more vehicles into this monster traffic jam (idiotically “following the plan” Soviet-style) so the whole thing is now 65-70 kilometers long (almost 40 miles).
And, because the trucks can’t go off-road due to the Rasputitsa mud and tire problems, they’re stuck on the roads and the roads’ shoulders three vehicles wide for the whole @40 miles. That means fuel and resupply trucks can’t move on or off road to deliver anything to anybody.​
So all the columns’ heads are now out of fuel and battery power. They can’t move north, south or sideways, and everything behind them is stuck because of the mud, and rapidly running out of fuel and vehicle battery charge too (assuming they haven’t already). Nor can any of those columns defend themselves because they’re too densely packed. They’re just targets waiting for the Ukrainians to destroy them.​
Only the Ukrainians had something better to do. They opened the floodgates of reservoirs around those columns to flood them and turn the surrounding areas into impassable quagmires for months – probably until July or August. (See photo below) Probably several thousand Russian vehicles in those columns will be irrecoverable losses. Hundreds of Russian soldiers might have drowned.​

Last edited:

I have posted on twitter about the Russian Army columns North of Kyiv decaying into immobile blobs due to the Rasputitsa, poorly maintained Chinese truck tires and shear “follow the plan” Russian incompetence.
The head and first dozen or so kilometers of the southernmost column north of Kiev have been stuck there for EIGHT DAYS. The Russians have since rammed more and more vehicles into this monster traffic jam (idiotically “following the plan” Soviet-style) so the whole thing is now 65-70 kilometers long (almost 40 miles).
And, because the trucks can’t go off-road due to the Rasputitsa mud and tire problems, they’re stuck on the roads and the roads’ shoulders three vehicles wide for the whole @40 miles. That means fuel and resupply trucks can’t move on or off road to deliver anything to anybody.​
So all the columns’ heads are now out of fuel and battery power. They can’t move north, south or sideways, and everything behind them is stuck because of the mud, and rapidly running out of fuel and vehicle battery charge too (assuming they haven’t already). Nor can any of those columns defend themselves because they’re too densely packed. They’re just targets waiting for the Ukrainians to destroy them.​
Only the Ukrainians had something better to do. They opened the floodgates of reservoirs around those columns to flood them and turn the surrounding areas into impassable quagmires for months – probably until July or August. (See photo below) Probably several thousand Russian vehicles in those columns will be irrecoverable losses. Hundreds of Russian soldiers might have drowned.​

Prayers answered. 🙏

I see people online mention the floodgates opened but no real concrete proof it has happened. I fear it may be more wishful thinking.

I see people online mention the floodgates opened but no real concrete proof it has happened. I fear it may be more wishful thinking.
Supposedly, this image is from the convoy area. Regardless, most all observers agree the Russian logistics are a hot mess, Poor planning, overly optimistic view of the swiftness of victory, poor Russian morale . and effective Ukrainian planning and resistance is taking a toll. Apparently the Ukrainian resistance/guerrillas are taking out every fuel truck they see. The Russians only control the ground they are standing on. Unfortunately they are shifting to fixed bases of operations and not focusing on mobility. Hence, all the artillery and air bombardment.

FNBPgTLXEAAg-jc

Reactions: 76-1 and UncleMark
Despite this embarrassing equipment failure/epic traffic jam, the Russians are apparently still “winning.” Enough air superiority to missile/shell while Slowly surrounding and choking cities.

Poland held out 6 weeks against Hitler AND Stalin. Absent a no fly zone - or more - its just a question of time.

The real question is whether Putin stops at Ukraine. My bet is no, but reasonable minds can differ. He certainly just made NATO countries re-fall in love with their Article 5.

He will soon threaten nukes unless sanctions are withdrawn. Already has if you intetpret his statements broadly.

Internally, his “de-Nazi” meme is being given at least lip service and getting full-on acceptance by large numbers. “The best defense is a good offense.”

The propaganda contest is always interesting. Once the fighting calms down, photoshop will be overwhelmed.

Despite this embarrassing equipment failure/epic traffic jam, the Russians are apparently still “winning.” Enough air superiority to missile/shell while Slowly surrounding and choking cities.

Poland held out 6 weeks against Hitler AND Stalin. Absent a no fly zone - or more - its just a question of time.

The real question is whether Putin stops at Ukraine. My bet is no, but reasonable minds can differ. He certainly just made NATO countries re-fall in love with their Article 5.

He will soon threaten nukes unless sanctions are withdrawn. Already has if you intetpret his statements broadly.

Internally, his “de-Nazi” meme is being given at least lip service and getting full-on acceptance by large numbers. “The best defense is a good offense.”

The propaganda contest is always interesting. Once the fighting calms down, photoshop will be overwhelmed.
The only way this ends now is with Putin in a box, either dead or alive. So long as he is alive and kicking, nothing will be the same. I put his chances of a happy retirement at <50/50.

Reactions: 76-1
Once the Spring thaw happens the fields will be a quagmire and I rather doubt that in Ukraine they have a road system that can support heavy military equipment. Putin should have attacked in January or early February. He waited to long and I don't understand why?

Once the Spring thaw happens the fields will be a quagmire and I rather doubt that in Ukraine they have a road system that can support heavy military equipment. Putin should have attacked in January or early February. He waited to long and I don't understand why?
Olympics in China. Putin wanted to have his cake and eat it.

Reactions: iulb and Bill4411

Shades of Moses

Reactions: UncleMark
I think it’s a 3 way trade. We give US planes to Poland. Poland gives Migs & SUs to Ukraine.
Good deal for us. We’re not “starting World War III” by sending our airplanes to Ukraine. Even without our pilots.

That’s one way to allow Putin to save face—we’re showing respect for his demand that we don’t join the war, so to speak.

Good deal for us. We’re not “starting World War III” by sending our airplanes to Ukraine. Even without our pilots.

That’s one way to allow Putin to save face—we’re showing respect for his demand that we don’t join the war, so to speak.

I’m really getting g tired of the threats. They’ve already said that sanctions are an act of war. They clearly don’t have the first hair on their balls to start something. It’s just tiresome at this point.

The hardest part of this war is figuring out a way for Russia to exit it in a face saving manner

Reactions: UncleMark
I’m really getting g tired of the threats. They’ve already said that sanctions are an act of war.

No kidding. They've essentially declared war on the whole world. Putin really miscalculated on the response his action would get.

Reactions: iulb
I’m really getting g tired of the threats. They’ve already said that sanctions are an act of war. They clearly don’t have the first hair on their balls to start something. It’s just tiresome at this point.

The hardest part of this war is figuring out a way for Russia to exit it in a face saving manner
Russia can get out by ousting Putin

But Putin can't get out - he pulled the trigger, and either wins or dies

There is no bigger bet on the planet than whether he would launch nukes, and whether his military would follow such orders.

If you recall, Putin reportedly met with business leaders on the first or second day after the invasion began. He assured them that the west would not do any serious economic or financial retaliation.

His declaration that serious economic sanctions against Russia constitute an act of war shows that the sanctions are giving him heart palpitations.

Of course he blusters and bluffs but he knows he is screwed. The more he threatens western countries the more he tells us he’s losing.

Reactions: TMFT
If you recall, Putin reportedly met with business leaders on the first or second day after the invasion began. He assured them that the west would not do any serious economic or financial retaliation.

His declaration that serious economic sanctions against Russia constitute an act of war shows that the sanctions are giving him heart palpitations.

Of course he blusters and bluffs but he knows he is screwed. The more he threatens western countries the more he tells us he’s losing.
Perhaps the west should go ahead announce that the sanctions will not be lifted unless the current government in Ukraine is retained?

Once the Putin-installed government gets in place, nobody will trust any election there ever - GORE WON UKRAINE!

Reactions: 76-1
Perhaps the west should go ahead announce that the sanctions will not be lifted unless the current government in Ukraine is retained?
I don’t think Europe wants to go that far. I’d go further. I’d say sanctions won’t be lifted until Russian military is completely out of Ukraine and Russia finances the reconstruction entirely. I would make it look drastically and prohibitively unfeasible for Putin. The sooner the better.

I think there’s no doubt that business leaders in Russia have a connection to the west and are getting news. The more untenable the prospects are, the more pressure Putin will feel.

Here’s the thing. If Putin‘s gonna launch nukes, he’s gonna launch nukes. Call his bluff. Pressure him to the max.

Chinese manufactured tyres sold in the US comply with NHTSA DOT standards, and are competitive with Bridgestone(Firestone), Michelin, and Goodyear. It would have been easy enough to have procured tyres manufactured to meet US tire specifications. Perhaps the German WW II era synthetic rubber is still the material spec. Or perhaps an Oligarch (Chinese and or Russian (both)) profiteered from the supply contract.

We don’t think Xi thought so deep as to increase the probability of soft ground by asking for the delay until the end of the Olympics? … Do we? Winter thaws are more prevalent later in Feb, aren’t they. (What would the farmer’s (Poor Richard’s) almanac say?) It rates more as a blunder to me, as keeping the world’s focus on the propaganda campaign in progress is the most likely explanation.

It’s really really hard to tote 40 l jerry cans 40 miles (a ten hour walk) from the back to the front of the line, even with a dolly. Classic military strategy to deny terrain, by flooding the fields along side a causeway.

Compounding the error by letting the line keep getting longer, shows lack of initiative by the military command structure, that would not be tolerated of US Army, or US Marine officers.

Reactions: CO. Hoosier
Lots SU and MiG stuff around.
In the Balkans too … Trade Soviet era planes … and no access to aviation quality spare parts as a NATO member …For Western gear … and US logistics for spare parts.

This would improve overall NATO readiness, when the donor country pilots get trained by US combat pilot instructors on the new platforms.

One of the NATO members should get an A10 wing, the US doesn’t seem as interested any more in a platform optimized for mass amour formations. The A10 30mm cannon can engage more targets than 4 ATG (Hellfire) missiles on pylons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Then Diaper Don took over, asserting no one knows better how to drop a clustershit than he.
Wow you are a real intelligent individual aren't you? Who shit their pants in front of the Pope? Gawd ignorant people like you are so annoying.

• Love
Reactions: Lucy01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT