ADVERTISEMENT

One of the problems with going electric vehicles and machines etc.

On the recycling of lithium batteries. We use both nicad and lithium. We also recycle all of them. I take apart the lithium ones and test each cell then mix and match until it’s fixed. Then put the bad ones in the old shell. It’s so freaking easy. The ones left over go to the recycling center. They give us about double for those than the nicad style. I’m going on 6 years with the same battery powered tools. Nicad are junk after 2 years. We have our own landfill. Guess what doesn’t go in it? This old talking point about lithium batteries just haphazardly going to landfills is just nonsense.

• Wow
Reactions: Lucy01
They need to drastically increase the range of batteries to around 1000 miles per charge and their lifespan to 15-20 years before needing replacing before electric vehicles will ever become mainstream.
Where are urbanites going to charge them. We have half a city who parks on the street. Massive apartment buildings etc. To say nothing as to how they're going to trade in their 78 Marauder or crown Vic from the police auction on a new Tesla. People can't even afford tags on the beaters they buy from a buy here pay here and shitters' bitching about people whining and not caring about the climate.

They need to drastically increase the range of batteries to around 1000 miles per charge and their lifespan to 15-20 years before needing replacing before electric vehicles will ever become mainstream.
I see 2-3 electric cars every day. That’s pretty mainstream.

It's not and it's just elitist white liberals who want to virtue signal that buys them. No one buys them because they make financial sense.
Really? You serious? So my Republican sister and her family are signaling elitism? I’m not a liberal but damn its cheaper to use an electric for day to day operations. Have you taken a calculator to the costs? I have. It saves me 500ish in fuel costs. My payment is less than what I was paying at the pump. Of course I drive 36 miles one way a week. It’s mixed driving. I could’ve saved more being creative. Notice I said day to day. I wouldn’t use it for traveling but my nephew does. He’s a recruiter and drives his everywhere. Remember not everyone buys a Tesla. You probably don’t even notice some of the other makes.

Reactions: larsIU and Bill4411
Really? You serious? So my Republican sister and her family are signaling elitism? I’m not a liberal but damn its cheaper to use an electric for day to day operations. Have you taken a calculator to the costs? I have. It saves me 500ish in fuel costs. My payment is less than what I was paying at the pump. Of course I drive 36 miles one way a week. It’s mixed driving. I could’ve saved more being creative. Notice I said day to day. I wouldn’t use it for traveling but my nephew does. He’s a recruiter and drives his everywhere. Remember not everyone buys a Tesla. You probably don’t even notice some of the other makes.
How much did they pay for them vs the gas model? Have you factored in the cost of charging them and the $10-12k it will cost to replace the battery which you will have to do eventually?

I see 2-3 electric cars every day. That’s pretty mainstream.

I see Teslas all day every day in my daily travels around Bloomington, and it's not just here in the People's Republic, either -- there's a bunch in Bedford, too.

Reactions: larsIU
How much did they pay for them vs the gas model? Have you factored in the cost of charging them and the $10-12k it will cost to replace the battery which you will have to do eventually?
Well you must not know. You will charge at home. 10-16cents a kWh. Batteries don’t cost 10,000 and they don’t necessarily have to be replaced in ten years. They do degrade. Most long term ones out are still 60-80% of capacity. So for a guy like me I wouldn’t replace it until it makes sense. So off peak charge for me is 12 cents. Costs about 2 bucks a day. So 14 plus it’s actually cheaper because I do charge at work a bit. Gives me 10-20 more miles of range a week. I was paying 110 with my escape. Like I said it just makes sense for me. If I just add enough solar at the house it gets even cheaper. Which I eventually will. I’m starting with an 6kw set. Nissan Leaf and the Bolt are 26-28 thousand. That’s brand new.

Really? You serious? So my Republican sister and her family are signaling elitism? I’m not a liberal but damn its cheaper to use an electric for day to day operations. Have you taken a calculator to the costs? I have. It saves me 500ish in fuel costs.

I listen to Dave Ramsey regularly. You can't get any more redneck conservative motorhead than that. While Dave makes fun of them, his daughter and one of his primary "personalities" have recently bought Teslas. If you know anything about the Ramsey philosophy and his views on personal finance, that should tell you something.

People that heat their home’s with electric never complain about their bills🤔

I listen to Dave Ramsey regularly. You can't get any more redneck conservative motorhead than that. While Dave makes fun of them, his daughter and one of his primary "personalities" have recently bought Teslas. If you know anything about the Ramsey philosophy and his views on personal finance, that should tell you something.
People think Tesla is the only option and base everything on that. I’m considered a conservative and see the potential. If people understood how efficient these things are an ICE can’t compete in that department. When they get 600 mile range with a great charge rate people won’t be able to ignore them. Only thing an ICE can is convenience. Cost will eventually outweigh convenience. Although charging at home is pretty convenient.

Damn I need to have another cup of coffee so I can figure out where this went of the rails. Having idiots like Lucy blocked makes some of this stuff complicated. 🤔
Why do you think I am a idiot?

My Regal 6-cyl. got 30-31 mpg on the highway (long haul, interstate, few stops).

Getting 35 mpg from a new hybrid doesn't sound very impressive.
It pretty impressive when it out performs 400+ cI muscle cars of the 60’s that got 12 mpg.

People think Tesla is the only option and base everything on that. I’m considered a conservative and see the potential. If people understood how efficient these things are an ICE can’t compete in that department. When they get 600 mile range with a great charge rate people won’t be able to ignore them. Only thing an ICE can is convenience. Cost will eventually outweigh convenience. Although charging at home is pretty convenient.

Teslas get all the mind share because they're distinctive and if you see one you know it's an EV. The majority of the others I see are hybrids, and you can't easily distinguish them from conventionals. Even the Bolts and Volts don't stand out like the Teslas do.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
For those of you that think electric vehicles are the answer- this is a true story from a farmer in the Midwest- and I’m reposting it-

A close friend farms over 10,000 acres of corn in the mid-west. The property is spread out over 3 counties. His operation is a "partnership farm" with John Deere. They use the larger farm operations as demonstration projects for promotion and development of new equipment. He recently received a phone call from his John Deere representative, and they want the farm to go to electric tractors and combines in 2023. He currently has 5 diesel combines that cost $900,000 each that are traded in every 3 years. Also, over 10 really BIG tractors.

JD wants him to go all electric soon.

He said: "Ok, I have some questions. How do I charge these combines when they are 3 counties away from the shop in the middle of a cornfield, in the middle of nowhere?" "How do I run them 24 hours a day for 10 or 12 days straight when the harvest is ready, and the weather is coming in?" "How do I get a 50,000+ lb. combine that takes up the width of an entire road back to the shop 20 miles away when the battery goes dead?"

There was dead silence on the other end of the phone.

When the corn is ready to harvest, it has to have the proper sugar and moisture content. If it is too wet, it has to be put in giant dryers that burn natural or propane gas, and lots of it. Harvest time is critical because if it degrades in sugar content or quality, it can drop the value of his crop by half a million dollars or more. It is analyzed at time of sale. It is standard procedure to run these machines 10 to 12 days straight, 24 hours a day at peak harvest time. When they need fuel, a tanker truck delivers it, and the machines keep going. John Deere's only answer is "we're working on it." They are being pushed by the lefty Dems in the government to force these electric machines on the American farmer. These people are out of control. They are messing with the production of food crops that feed people and livestock... all in the name of their "green dream."

Look for the cost of your box of cornflakes to triple in the next 24 months...”

Vote June 28th in Oklahoma. Let's return sanity to Congress and our nation.
Reminds me of the chain email I got back in either ‘07 or ‘08 when gas prices went way up when republican Bush was in office. Except then it was all about how gas wasn’t really expensive comparatively because bottled water and printer ink cost far much more per gallon than gas. Basically, the email was “shut the f*** up because you drink bottled water and have a printer”.

Reactions: UncleMark
It pretty impressive when it out performs 400+ cI muscle cars of the 60’s that got 12 mpg.
I love my muscle cars. It just doesn’t make sense to drive them everyday. 🤣 My stance right now is making financial sense. Is it fun owning an EV?

The thing that gripes me the most about EV’s is all the subsidies. The public subsidizes purchace price and EV drivers pay no road tax.

Besides, there is more to efficiency than plug and go.

• Love
Reactions: Lucy01
The thing that gripes me the most about EV’s is all the subsidies. The public subsidizes purchace price and EV drivers pay no road tax.

Aren't the subsidies pretty much phased out nowadays?

Your point on no road taxes being paid is a good one. That said, a use tax paid when you renew your plates/registration would be one way to offset that. (In fact, I have this niggling notion in my head that IN might actually have some kind of additional fee assessed for hybrids or EVs with your registration now already, but don't hold me to that.) Indiana already has a tire tax that's earmarked for disposal; it could slowly be bumped up to offset the loss of gas tax revenue while roughly tying the money received to the amount of road use. Tires don't need to be replaced if they're not rolling down the road.

Besides, there is more to efficiency than plug and go.

Why does it gripe you that an independent individual finally gets the subsidy instead of big power? The road tax is coming. Some states are charging people more for the registration. Those arguments are valid but don’t dismiss mine. Car for car they are still more efficient and will be. Also, don’t forget we have been subsidizing and giving tax breaks to regular car manufacturers for decades.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Aren't the subsidies pretty much phased out nowadays?

Your point on no road taxes being paid is a good one. That said, a use tax paid when you renew your plates/registration would be one way to offset that. (In fact, I have this niggling notion in my head that IN might actually have some kind of additional fee assessed for hybrids or EVs with your registration now already, but don't hold me to that.) Indiana already has a tire tax that's earmarked for disposal; it could slowly be bumped up to offset the loss of gas tax revenue while roughly tying the money received to the amount of road use. Tires don't need to be replaced if they're not rolling down the road.
They do and the manufacturing subsidies are just about over. Nissan and ford are real close. The solar one is being phased out year over year. I think it’s crazy that people would rather big energy get those subsidies. (Really not it’s a tax break)Why not give it to us? Makes no sense. None.

It’s crazy how fast chargers pop up. I think most Walmarts have them already.is a mess.

Transportation. Is a huge mess

Air Travel is crowded, cancelled, delayed and expensive.
Train Travel is terribly inconvenient.
To ride a bus you gotta wade through a cesspit of dirty needles, urine, and feces.
And many want to limit road trips to 300 miles because longer is a pain in the ass. And the cost is outrageous for gasoline.

And that’s just people. Ya wanna talk about freight?

Meanwhile, our government can only think about a future of EV’s. Well guess what. EV’s take electricity. We don’t have enough of that either.

Oh, and our Transportation Secretary is all over fixing racist highways as if our existing transportation woes only affect white people.

The manufacturers and the market will take care of this in short order.
Yesterday I was driving down the interstate in 90+ degree day. I passed a Tesla going 55 with all windows down. I was doing 70 with air condition keeping me cool. This was right after an hour stop and go because of a wreck. I guess the Tesla ate the battery while keeping cool in the stopped traffic.

Transportation. Is a huge mess

Air Travel is crowded, cancelled, delayed and expensive.
Train Travel is terribly inconvenient.
To ride a bus you gotta wade through a cesspit of dirty needles, urine, and feces.
And many want to limit road trips to 300 miles because longer is a pain in the ass. And the cost is outrageous for gasoline.

And that’s just people. Ya wanna talk about freight?

Meanwhile, our government can only think about a future of EV’s. Well guess what. EV’s take electricity. We don’t have enough of that either.

Oh, and our Transportation Secretary is all over fixing racist highways as if our existing transportation woes only affect white people.

Stay at home Pete is such a clown. I'm good with connecting communities but let's also beef up the cops. Our neighborhood mall became full of crime when they extended the train to it

Stay at home Pete is such a clown. I'm good with connecting communities but let's also beef up the cops. Our neighborhood mall became full of crime when they extended the train to it

Galleria? If so, I remember when that started. The good thing was mall workers could take a train but then people started getting guns stuck in their faces in the parking garage. As if the mall shopping experience didn’t already suck enough.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Galleria? If so, I remember when that started. The good thing was mall workers could take a train but then people started getting guns stuck in their faces in the parking garage. As if the mall shopping experience didn’t already suck enough.
Yep. And most of the trouble at the mall is just kids bored but there's endless problems there. including shootings. They tried curfew and adults have to be with you but it is still a mess. The exit is behind Maggianos so the kids just walk to the mall.

Our gov officials even at the lowest levels just don't think. They don't think ahead. I can walk to the office. There's a bridge at Bemiston that crosses the parkway into the residential neighborhood. The morons at county jail do 1 and 2 am releases. So in the middle of the night we get people wandering the neighborhoods who just got out of jail. No one is picking them up at county in the middle of the night. Co should get its shit together and let them out during the day. At night they walk right out of co and look for cars to break into

Reactions: Univee2
Bearing quality remains the key to the life of rotating machines.
Fortunately high quality bearings extend battery range.
I don’t foresee a switch to poorer quality, for service parts sales volume.
The first OEM caught doing that will visit a federal court for Chapter 11 filing.
After surpassing American makes, Japanese manufacturers kept their quality lead and never looked back.

Bearing quality remains the key to the life of rotating machines.
Fortunately high quality bearings extend battery range.
I don’t foresee a switch to poorer quality, for service parts sales volume.

Exactly. The manufacturers don't make any money on service. (The dealers always have, but that's getting tougher.) Manufacturers do sell parts to dealers, but they also have to pay the dealers for their labor on warranty repairs and even pay a markup over cost to the dealers on the parts used in those warranty repairs. I don't know how much they pay out over what they make on the parts sales to dealers, but I suspect it's a substantial net loss. The only thing they or the dealers do well on are crash parts, and even then the dealers aren't allowed (by the insurance companies) to make the kind of margins they do on service parts.

Reading this thread reminds me of Douglas Adams' rules on technology.

Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.​
Anything that’s invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.​
Anything invented after you’re thirty-five is against the natural order of things​

Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.​
Anything that’s invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.​
Anything invented after you’re thirty-five is against the natural order of things​
Explains why Usenet was so sweet and why Facebook and Twitter are such abominations.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian

I'm all for electric cars and I suspect most people are for them or simply don't care. There's just a large disconnect between the way people live (urban no garages) and the cost. When the cost of a car is more than the median household income of a city it's pie in the sky talk (politicians out of touch)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT