ADVERTISEMENT

One of the problems with going electric vehicles and machines etc.

sku

Benchwarmer
Gold Member
Sep 6, 2007
For those of you that think electric vehicles are the answer- this is a true story from a farmer in the Midwest- and I’m reposting it-

A close friend farms over 10,000 acres of corn in the mid-west. The property is spread out over 3 counties. His operation is a "partnership farm" with John Deere. They use the larger farm operations as demonstration projects for promotion and development of new equipment. He recently received a phone call from his John Deere representative, and they want the farm to go to electric tractors and combines in 2023. He currently has 5 diesel combines that cost $900,000 each that are traded in every 3 years. Also, over 10 really BIG tractors.

JD wants him to go all electric soon.

He said: "Ok, I have some questions. How do I charge these combines when they are 3 counties away from the shop in the middle of a cornfield, in the middle of nowhere?" "How do I run them 24 hours a day for 10 or 12 days straight when the harvest is ready, and the weather is coming in?" "How do I get a 50,000+ lb. combine that takes up the width of an entire road back to the shop 20 miles away when the battery goes dead?"

There was dead silence on the other end of the phone.

When the corn is ready to harvest, it has to have the proper sugar and moisture content. If it is too wet, it has to be put in giant dryers that burn natural or propane gas, and lots of it. Harvest time is critical because if it degrades in sugar content or quality, it can drop the value of his crop by half a million dollars or more. It is analyzed at time of sale. It is standard procedure to run these machines 10 to 12 days straight, 24 hours a day at peak harvest time. When they need fuel, a tanker truck delivers it, and the machines keep going. John Deere's only answer is "we're working on it." They are being pushed by the lefty Dems in the government to force these electric machines on the American farmer. These people are out of control. They are messing with the production of food crops that feed people and livestock... all in the name of their "green dream."

Look for the cost of your box of cornflakes to triple in the next 24 months...”

Vote June 28th in Oklahoma. Let's return sanity to Congress and our nation.

Dear Ford, I own large farm over a couple counties. How you plan on me refueling my tractor when I am so far away, my horses work perfectly fine. We are being pushed to use these mechanical devices when horses and mules are far cheaper and more reliable. All in the name of being modern.

Dear Ford, I own large farm over a couple counties. How you plan on me refueling my tractor when I am so far away, my horses work perfectly fine. We are being pushed to use these mechanical devices when horses and mules are far cheaper and more reliable. All in the name of being modern.
Ingenuity seems to be a scary proposition. It was bad enough those lefty dems made us go to the moon. ;)

Ingenuity seems to be a scary proposition. It was bad enough those lefty dems made us go to the moon. ;)
Maybe. But we hear a lot of "no way we move to electric, it won't work everywhere, it is too expensive, etc". All that was said by perfectly content horse and buggy owners. It isn't going to happen in a year, but in 15 years electric WILL dominate much as the car replaced the horse.

Maybe. But we hear a lot of "no way we move to electric, it won't work everywhere, it is too expensive, etc". All that was said by perfectly content horse and buggy owners. It isn't going to happen in a year, but in 15 years electric WILL dominate much as the car replaced the horse.
Yes, that was my point. We made it to the moon and back with technology that had less computing power than your smartphone.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Ehhh. It’s coming. I love my diesel trucks and fast old cars. The problem with them is they aren’t really efficient. Electric motors are like over 90% efficient per BTU. You factor in maintenance cost and per tailpipe emissions and electric is a no brainer. It’s easier to control emissions at the source than each individual car/truck. Will electric eliminate all fuel burners? Not for a long time but to say it won’t have a major impact is foolish. If electric/solar wasn’t viable then why is big energy suppressing it but also installing them into the grid?

Dear farmer, the fuel is liquid. It can be transported to and stored directly on site if need be. The "recharge" time is as quickly as you can refill the tank. It will allow you to work 24/7 if you like because unlike horses and mules, our machines do not need rest.

Other than (dubious) claims that battery powered machines are currently better for the environment, make your case for why these would be better right now. (Not at some point in the future when technology has possibly improved, right now.)

Did I touch a nerve on your green new deal. The problem is we are not set up for this transformation at this time. The quote is from a Duke Energy friend who works in the field fixing the problems presently. He says not enough power can be produce by "green components" to produce the energy we will need at this time.

“Today, a typical EV battery weighs one thousand pounds. It contains twenty-five pounds of lithium, sixty pounds of nickel, 44 pounds of manganese, 30 pounds cobalt, 200 pounds of copper, and 400 pounds of aluminium, steel, and plastic. Inside are over 6,000 individual lithium-ion cells.​

It should concern you that all those toxic components come from mining. For instance, to manufacture each EV auto battery, you must process 25,000 pounds of brine for the lithium, 30,000 pounds of ore for the cobalt, 5,000 pounds of ore for the nickel, and 25,000 pounds of ore for copper. All told, you dig up 500,000 pounds of the earth’s crust for just one battery.”

All of this mining runs on diesel. And we will need more of it.

There is plenty of incompetence and ignorance in government today. One of the worst is the obsession with electric vehicles and all electric buildings. “My car runs on sunshine” comments by our secretary of energy is dangerously naive . She is echoed by by the secretary of transportation and the EPA administrator. On a typical summer day, base load demand on electricity will double in hours. That doubling cannot be met with weather dependent renewable sources. We need steam turbines to do that. But we are shutting down turbines using fossil fuels, and we are not building nukes. Where in the f ck are we going to get all this electricity in 15 years?

And being held hostage to foreign oil? All the raw materials for batteries and apparatus for wind and solar power comes from China and other places that don’t like us very well.

But when we drive off the cliff, we will have the comfort of knowing we are in an EV.

This entire premise is made up crap, useless pearl clutching. I base this from the many farmers I know. My brother, my cousins, the people now farming the farm where I grew up.

You will see some electrification of farm equipment but there is absolutely NO plan to go 100% electric in 30 years, 20 years, or 10 years, let alone the preposterous 1 year changeover (2023) suggested in the looney bins opening post.

The niche for electrification even now is a substantial one: those of us commuting 20 miles or less each way daily to work, where charging can be done at home in off-peak hours or at the place of employment. That alone can make a huge impact, and its going to happen. The niche will then expand as EV driving ranges expand from 200 to 400 to 600 to probably >1000 miles in the next decade. Yes, battery technology and cost / resources spent in production will need to improve. Then it's viable for trucking and longer-distance moving of goods.

Dear farmer, the fuel is liquid. It can be transported to and stored directly on site if need be. The "recharge" time is as quickly as you can refill the tank. It will allow you to work 24/7 if you like because unlike horses and mules, our machines do not need rest.

Other than (dubious) claims that battery powered machines are currently better for the environment, make your case for why these would be better right now. (Not at some point in the future when technology has possibly improved, right now.)
Solar panels.

This shouldn't be that hard.

Ehhh. It’s coming. I love my diesel trucks and fast old cars. The problem with them is they aren’t really efficient. Electric motors are like over 90% efficient per BTU. You factor in maintenance cost and per tailpipe emissions and electric is a no brainer. It’s easier to control emissions at the source than each individual car/truck. Will electric eliminate all fuel burners? Not for a long time but to say it won’t have a major impact is foolish. If electric/solar wasn’t viable then why is big energy suppressing it but also installing them into the grid?
I think the kids of the next generation will be pod racing before too long.

From Goodwood, this shit is insane. 1/2 the fastest times were electrics. Prices will fall and people will begin to learn how to "hot rod" them.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
For those of you that think electric vehicles are the answer- this is a true story from a farmer in the Midwest- and I’m reposting it-

A close friend farms over 10,000 acres of corn in the mid-west. The property is spread out over 3 counties. His operation is a "partnership farm" with John Deere. They use the larger farm operations as demonstration projects for promotion and development of new equipment. He recently received a phone call from his John Deere representative, and they want the farm to go to electric tractors and combines in 2023. He currently has 5 diesel combines that cost $900,000 each that are traded in every 3 years. Also, over 10 really BIG tractors.

He said: "Ok, I have some questions. How do I charge these combines when they are 3 counties away from the shop in the middle of a cornfield, in the middle of nowhere?" "How do I run them 24 hours a day for 10 or 12 days straight when the harvest is ready, and the weather is coming in?" "How do I get a 50,000+ lb. combine that takes up the width of an entire road back to the shop 20 miles away when the battery goes dead?"

When the corn is ready to harvest, it has to have the proper sugar and moisture content. If it is too wet, it has to be put in giant dryers that burn natural or propane gas, and lots of it. Harvest time is critical because if it degrades in sugar content or quality, it can drop the value of his crop by half a million dollars or more. It is analyzed at time of sale. It is standard procedure to run these machines 10 to 12 days straight, 24 hours a day at peak harvest time. When they need fuel, a tanker truck delivers it, and the machines keep going. John Deere's only answer is "we're working on it." They are being pushed by the lefty Dems in the government to force these electric machines on the American farmer. These people are out of control. They are messing with the production of food crops that feed people and livestock... all in the name of their "green dream."

if you eat cornflakes from field corn you have worse problem than electric tractors to worry about

This entire premise is made up crap, useless pearl clutching. I base this from the many farmers I know. My brother, my cousins, the people now farming the farm where I grew up.

You will see some electrification of farm equipment but there is absolutely NO plan to go 100% electric in 30 years, 20 years, or 10 years, let alone the preposterous 1 year changeover (2023) suggested in the looney bins opening post.

The niche for electrification even now is a substantial one: those of us commuting 20 miles or less each way daily to work, where charging can be done at home in off-peak hours or at the place of employment. That alone can make a huge impact, and its going to happen. The niche will then expand as EV driving ranges expand from 200 to 400 to 600 to probably >1000 miles in the next decade. Yes, battery technology and cost / resources spent in production will need to improve. Then it's viable for trucking and longer-distance moving of goods.
Induction charging is coming. That will be the game changer.

Did I touch a nerve on your green new deal. The problem is we are not set up for this transformation at this time. The quote is from a Duke Energy friend who works in the field fixing the problems presently. He says not enough power can be produce by "green components" to produce the energy we will need at this time.
Funny. He’s coming from the industry that talks out of 2 necks. They know they are losing grip. As more people transition to home battery and solar the grid will actually stabilize. Electric cars will actually act as a giant capacitor. The big energy companies and they hate individual freedoms. They want a monopoly.

Last edited:
One of the dumbest posts I have ever read on here.

Electric powered transportation is definitely in the future. But we need the juice. We are planning for a gazzillion ways to consume electricity, but we are silent on ways to make more of it in quantities that matter.

Just what we need. Less efficient electric power transfer.
It is but it won’t be forever. We are literally in phase/generation one of electric transportation. People assume that the way we use power generation won’t change. So under the monopoly we are currently under they are resisting. Indiana alone is trying to protect big energy by letting them do what they want.

Reactions: TommyCracker

How often do you think mechanical things broke down in the early 1900s compared to a couple of mules? Heck, look at the Russian Army today and how often their trucks are breaking down. But people still took the leap and gave up the mules and horses.

One of the dumbest posts I have ever read on here.
I think the point is none of this needs to happen over night. But as technology evolves, we learn more, and improvements are made that at some point electric combines will be a reality.

But we have to keep learning, failing, and evolving. Can't we at least agree on that? Does not have to be all or nothing.

How often do you think mechanical things broke down in the early 1900s compared to a couple of mules? Heck, look at the Russian Army today and how often their trucks are breaking down. But people still took the leap and gave up the mules and horses.
My wife's fancy newer car is broken down in the shop. We're depending on my older beater. If it breaks down there's my antique truck. Nevertheless, the newer car is the best of the three.

People gave up the mules and horses as it became clear that the combustible engine replacements were a better replacement. The government did not come down and say, "by 1915 we can no longer sell horses to work on farms". The switch happened organically.

I will also edit to add that nobody has been able to argue (or even attempt) that electric is the better replacement right now.

People gave up the mules and horses as it became clear that the combustible engine replacements were a better replacement. The government did not come down and say, "by 1915 we can no longer sell horses to work on farms". The switch happened organically.

I will also edit to add that nobody has been able to argue (or even attempt) that electric is the better replacement right now.
^^^ This right here. Organic advancement, not forced social engineering from people who couldn't engineer getting out of a water soaked Hemp fiber bag with rainbow vibrator swords in their hands.

• Haha
Reactions: ulrey and Lucy01

Better for what?

Living within 1/3 of a mile from an interstate. I wonder how many people in cities fit that criterion?

And of course AGW.

Even coal power is cleaner than cars

And I'm one that supports more nuclear which is FAR cleaner still.

Are there actually laws requiring electric cars? I know Ford is moving that direction, I don't think it is by government fiat. They think there will be a market. Once all cars are able to be mostly charged in 30 minutes, I'm not sure there is a problem. Drive 250 miles, hop out, set up the charger, go to the bathroom, stretch your legs a little, and boom, back on the road. It might help driving safety as people only driving struggle to stay as alert as those that take short breaks.

Better for what?

Living within 1/3 of a mile from an interstate. I wonder how many people in cities fit that criterion?

And of course AGW.

Even coal power is cleaner than cars

And I'm one that supports more nuclear which is FAR cleaner still.

Are there actually laws requiring electric cars? I know Ford is moving that direction, I don't think it is by government fiat. They think there will be a market. Once all cars are able to be mostly charged in 30 minutes, I'm not sure there is a problem. Drive 250 miles, hop out, set up the charger, go to the bathroom, stretch your legs a little, and boom, back on the road. It might help driving safety as people only driving struggle to stay as alert as those that take short breaks.
No laws but the government/epa sets mpg goals. Fuel burning cars are about as efficient as they are going to get without adding hybrid stuff in mass. I think we will move to a combination of things. Better hybrids make a lot of sense. All electric locally with extended range of gas/diesel. The extremely low maintenance cost of electric is great.

I think the EU set laws on when internal combustion powered passenger cars must no longer be sold.

Better for farming? I can't speak to that.

I can vouge that my hybrid Chevy Volt might be the coolest car I've ever owned and it has completely changed how I drive.

It's a hybrid that gives me around 40 pure EV miles. It has a 9 gallon gas generator that gets around 35 to 40 mpg if I need it.

It uses regenerative braking so I don't need to use the pedal brakes much (regenerative braking is like switching into a low gear but it takes that energy and puts it back into the battery).

I've filled up twice since April since the majority of my driving is close to my house. I didn't get gas at all in May.

Bottom line, for basic driving the efficiencies are not just a little better, they are exponentially better. Oil changes every 25,000 miles (because there isn't a lot of hard engine work).

I don't think twice about going anywhere locally anymore (I used to ponder if I really wanted to fire up the Lexus to go to the store because I need some basil). It's always ready to go and cost me a fraction of a standard gas vehicle.

The math is something like it costs me $4 to go 100 miles.

My old Lexus currently costs me (gas over $5 at around 22 mpg) around $25 to go 100 miles.

Jack that up to driving 15,000 miles a year and it's currently saving me around $3000 a year.

(15,000/100 = 150.
That x $25 = $3,750 in gas in my old lexus.
That x $4 = $600 in my used hybrid Volt.
Difference being $3,150 a year)

Take that times 10 years and we're talking $30,000 in just gas savings.

Being a hybrid means I have unlimited mileage.

Efficiencies obviously change with how you drive, the weather (colder weather loses efficiency and I live in Minnesota), your comfort level (is the AC at 74 or 64?). Etc

I don't know why we all aren't at least going the hybrid route especially if you mainly drive to get to point to point B everyday.

The extremely low maintenance cost of electric is great.
Does anyone really buy this nonsense? Once these are all MANDATED, the market will not allow maintenance to be "extremely low". Everyone of those vehicles will have items with a designed obsolescence age, followed by reduced availability but don't fret. We will be running zero % for 18 months on a new $60k Lectric vehicle. Oh I forgot to add, your HBI (Home Based Interface) is outdated and a fire hazard, so we will offer you a new one of those for $15k.
Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy

I can vouge that my hybrid Chevy Volt might be the coolest car I've ever owned and it has completely changed how I drive.

It's a hybrid that gives me around 40 pure EV miles. It has a 9 gallon gas generator that gets around 35 to 40 mpg if I need it.

It uses regenerative braking so I don't need to use the pedal brakes much (regenerative braking is like switching into a low gear but it takes that energy and puts it back into the battery).

I've filled up twice since April since the majority of my driving is close to my house. I didn't get gas at all in May.

Bottom line, for basic driving the efficiencies are not just a little better, they are exponentially better. Oil changes every 25,000 miles (because there isn't a lot of hard engine work).

I don't think twice about going anywhere locally anymore (I used to ponder if I really wanted to fire up the Lexus to go to the store because I need some basil). It's always ready to go and cost me a fraction of a standard gas vehicle.

My old Lexus currently costs me (gas over $5 at around 22 mpg) around $25 to go 100 miles.

Jack that up to driving 15,000 miles a year and it's currently saving me around $3000 a year.

(15,000/100 = 150.

Efficiencies obviously change with how you drive, the weather (colder weather loses efficiency and I live in Minnesota), your comfort level (is the AC at 74 or 64?). Etc

I don't know why we all aren't at least going the hybrid route especially if you mainly drive to get to point to point B everyday.
I’ve always thought plug ins with a gas engine back up was the best way to go. Better than pure hybrid or pure electric. The Chevy volt i believe was the first. But it never got good reviews. My daughter has a plug in hybrid Q5 and likes it a lot. A little small for her family though.

Does anyone really buy this nonsense? Once these are all MANDATED, the market will not allow maintenance to be "extremely low". Everyone of those vehicles will have items with a designed obsolescence age, followed by reduced availability but don't fret. We will be running zero % for 18 months on a new $60k Lectric vehicle. Oh I forgot to add, your HBI (Home Based Interface) is outdated and a fire hazard, so we will offer you a new one of those for $15k.
Lather, Rinse, Repeat.
No they won’t. Maintenance has gone way down in ICE cars. High mileage flush’s, 100,000 mile spark plug changes etc. so keep believing that these electric cars have as many fluids and parts. Because they don’t. Matter of fact brakes and tires are the same but the brakes will rust off the car before they need changed. The interfaces are just adapters mostly. The car will take care of the rest. Where you getting your info?

(15,000/100 = 150.

Efficiency is the name of the game. ICE isn’t getting much more efficient.

No they won’t. Maintenance has gone way down in ICE cars. High mileage flush’s, 100,000 mile spark plug changes etc. so keep believing that these electric cars have as many fluids and parts. Because they don’t. Matter of fact brakes and tires are the same but the brakes will rust off the car before they need changed. The interfaces are just adapters mostly. The car will take care of the rest. Where you getting your info?
Charging stations seem to be a high maintenance problem. Cal Berkeley (IIRC) did a study and found at any given time 20-25% don’t work and others work at much lower capacity than advertised.

The free market economy, the fact that EV manufacturers eventually can not sustain if you only buy a vehicle every 30 years, and absolutely NOTHING in this world is designed for the ONE TIME SALE.
And I am probably not the best person for you to flex your spark plug muscles with.
This has nothing to do with IF EV CAN be much cheaper/ easier to maintain. This is totally about they WON'T be, once the market isn't being subsidized by the tree huggers that hate spark plugs. It makes zero business since to invest a couple hundred billion for them to make your life cheaper and then they never get another $ from you.
C'mon man.

Efficiency is the name of the game. ICE isn’t getting much more efficient.
Sure it is. Mine is a screamer turbo 6 and gets areound 35 on highway and about 30 average. It’s a decent size car too. That mileage. was unheard of just a few years ago. It has mild hybrid technology which is a feature many cars have nowadays, but it isn’t advertised.

The free market economy, the fact that EV manufacturers eventually can not sustain if you only buy a vehicle every 30 years, and absolutely NOTHING in this world is designed for the ONE TIME SALE.
And I am probably not the best person for you to flex your spark plug muscles with.
This has nothing to do with IF EV CAN be much cheaper/ easier to maintain. This is totally about they WON'T be, once the market isn't being subsidized by the tree huggers that hate spark plugs. It makes zero business since to invest a couple hundred billion for them to make your life cheaper and then they never get another $ from you.
C'mon man.
Really? So a guy in the automotive industry for 30 plus years isn’t worthy? Listen Joe Joe. I can go toe to toe with you. I’m not sure you’ve noticed but most of the subsidizing is over. You can’t say that with big oil? You can’t say that with big energy trying to hold onto power. They are trying to keep that dirty Monopoly money but go on with your extensive knowledge of the automotive industry.

Dumb

Reactions: swman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT