ADVERTISEMENT

Trump to Reinstate SALT Deduction

Who doesn't love a cheesy campaign gimmick? Trump says he will reverse his decision to allow people to deduct state and local taxes on their federal income taxes. He had ended this deduction in 2017 to stop red state taxpayers from effectively subsidizing the taxpayers of blue states.
This will add $1.2 TRILLION to the debt over ten years.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/09/17/politics/donald-trump-salt-tax/index.html
He's going after votes in New York. He won't win, but it could help in some House races.

Reactions: DANC and Klaus 7196
Who doesn't love a cheesy campaign gimmick? Trump says he will reverse his decision to allow people to deduct state and local taxes on their federal income taxes. He had ended this deduction in 2017 to stop red state taxpayers from effectively subsidizing the taxpayers of blue states.
This will add $1.2 TRILLION to the debt over ten years.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/09/17/politics/donald-trump-salt-tax/index.html
That and the corporate tax cuts were the best parts of his tax cut bill.

All these ideas, elimination of tips, overtime, etc, are budget busters. Someone is going to have to pay. Debt service is one of our largest expenses. So we start with cuts can only do so much when we can't cut that

Everything is going to be covered by all the money that China will pay us in tariffs.

I hate huge additions to the national debt without good reasons, such as for fixing bridges and roads. I don't see good reasons here.

Aren't Republicans concerned about the debt? This Independant is.
Yes like expanding the social safety net, freebies to create equity of outcomes, and cradle to grave benefits. Aren’t independents concerned about that? I’m a progressive so I like those things but an independent like yourself should be concerned

Hmm, is this called buying votes?

All these ideas, elimination of tips, overtime, etc, are budget busters. Someone is going to have to pay. Debt service is one of our largest expenses. So we start with cuts can only do so much when we can't cut that
By all accounts he honestly believes he can win NY. Now I don't buy that for a damned second. But he was essentially the king of NYC for decades so try to think like Trump. He desperately wants that cherry on top. They know they have the election. So why not go for it?

And the Teamsters non endorsement of Harris was massive. Siena had him winning NY Jews due to the Hamas wing of the Dem party. Tied with Hispanics in many polls. Doing much better with blacks. He will romp upstate. Still Harris wins NY.

Last edited:
By all accounts he honestly believes he can win NY. Now I don't buy that for a damned second. But he was essentially the king of NYC for decades so try to think like Trump. He desperately wants that cherry on top. They know they have the election. So why not go for it?

You really aren't smart. How old were you when you finally graduated from grade school? 15 or 16?

Reactions: cosmickid
Yes like expanding the social safety net, freebies to create equity of outcomes, and cradle to grave benefits. Aren’t independents concerned about that? I’m a progressive so I like those things but an independent like yourself should be concerned
I love taxes cuts. I’d much rather blow out the deficits with tax cuts than all the shit you listed. It’s funny how Democrats and RINOs are ok with running up huge deficits for their own government pet projects, but find their fiscal fortitude when you mention returning money to people who create the wealth.

Reactions: DANC and Ty Webb iu
And the Teamsters non endorsement of Harris was massive.

Nah. It makes for a headline on a single news cycle and that’s about it. But it won’t move any needles so far as the race itself.

I do find it interesting that the IBT found it important to release those poll results along with their decision.

He's going after votes in New York. He won't win, but it could help in some House races.
Maybe he ought to be heading to Iowa and FL? Two of three FL polls in Sept have the race from 2-4 points,and even the GOP outlier has the race at only 6. And in the only Iowa poll since Biden dropped out the DesMoines Register went from Trump +18 in June to Trump +4 this week...

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
Nah. It makes for a headline on a single news cycle and that’s about it. But it won’t move any needles so far as the race itself.

I do find it interesting that the IBT found it important to release those poll results along with their decision.
What it means is that Trump is absolutely destroying Harris among their union members as their own polling shows. This is a big change from 2020. The Dems know.

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC and Ty Webb iu
Hmm, is this called buying votes?

Absolutely. He's learned the Democrat strategy and is copying it beautifully: pander and say anything to win

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT