ADVERTISEMENT

Trump 2024!

"Having worked for the government or government contractors my whole life, I can guarantee you there are no shenanigans going on, everything is on the up and up, and those that disagree are morons. Trust me".
Who do you think you’re quoting, Tex?

I don't mind Little Marco, but I think there are better options.

Agree....of the 3 being mentioned, he'd be my #3. For one thing, I don't think he helps all that much with Hispanics overall. To me, he seems he seems far and away most associated with Cuban-Americans in the public mind, rather than Hispanics generally. Also, I don't see his relationship with Trump as being as strong as with the other two. If he's the choice, I'm not sure why.

Reactions: DANC
Agree....of the 3 being mentioned, he'd be my #3. For one thing, I don't think he helps all that much with Hispanics overall. To me, he seems he seems far and away most associated with Cuban-Americans in the public mind, rather than Hispanics generally. Also, I don't see his relationship with Trump as being as strong as with the other two. If he's the choice, I'm not sure why.
Sounds like it's down to Vance and Rubio. Trump basically ruled out Burgum this morning. Someone out of left field like Youngkin wouldn't be a surprise though.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Trump informed the pick weeks ago and told them to keep it a secret. Now he's testing them. Pence was reported to be the big leaker in the first administration.

I care less than two shits about your opinion.
giphy.webp

Reactions: T.M.P.
Sounds like it's down to Vance and Rubio. Trump basically ruled out Burgum this morning. Someone out of left field like Youngkin wouldn't be a surprise though.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Trump informed the pick weeks ago and told them to keep it a secret. Now he's testing them. Pence was reported to be the big leaker in the first administration.
Reported by one of your nearly always wrong Trumpster Twitter Twits?

So I think the weak version of the deep state theory would posit that most bureaucrats in Washington are liberals, and of those a significant enough % are willing to slow roll implementation of policies they don’t like—i.e. strategically create subtle roadblocks to use inertia for their desired policy outcomes.

The strong version would have those people actually colluding together, with most of the top people falling into this category.

So I think the weak version of the deep state theory would posit that most bureaucrats in Washington are liberals, and of those a significant enough % are willing to slow roll implementation of policies they don’t like—i.e. strategically create subtle roadblocks to use inertia for their desired policy outcomes.

The strong version would have those people actually colluding together, with most of the top people falling into this category.
And a third option is that when (if) people are offered enough $, job longevity and power/ connections, They can easily drop personal ideology.

And a third option is that when (if) people are offered enough $, job longevity and power/ connections, They can easily drop personal ideology.
That goes both ways though with the administrative state. And sure, a revolving door between regulator and regulated is a bad system. Don't see that as being a deep state or one-party issue.

Reactions: Spartans9312

Most in DoD, FBI, CIA and others in law enforcement have historically been conservative. Many started in the military. Collusion as a “deep state” is nonsense. Sure, biases both ways may have some effect, but 90 % just do their jobs. There’s not a lot of politics among the rank and file, plus the law restricts what they can do.

That goes both ways though with the administrative state. And sure, a revolving door between regulator and regulated is a bad system. Don't see that as being a deep state or one-party issue.
That was my point and because its been posted multiple times... "That means everyone in the swamp is a liberal..." $$$$ & power can cancel out ideology. Everyone has a price, eventually.
JFC, I voted for obama (once)... see :)

Please not Vance. Something about that guy I just don't trust.

Whut? Colluding together? Nah....

" Washington Post reported on June 14, 2018 that the Inspector General’s reprot reveals Strzok allegedly told Page that Trump’s election would be stopped.

“[Trump’s] not ever going to become president, right? Right?!” the lawyer, Lisa Page, wrote to Strzok, according to The Post.

“No. No he won’t. We’ll stop it,” Strzok responded, The Post says the IG report reveals. The text was sent in August 2016 only a few months before the presidential election, and after the FBI had started its investigation into Trump campaign aides, according to The Post."

Reactions: 76-1
Yes he did lol. He won by over 6 points in one of the Trumpiest states there is after comparing Trump to Hitler. Quite a feat.
It was a worse performance than Portman or Voinovich ever put in, and both of them ran in years when Ohio was a swing state rather than a red one. He ran behind Dewine and row officers. Federal races should be easier wins than state ones for the favored party, not harder. Vance did not do well in Ohio in 2022 by any metric

It was a worse performance than Portman or Voinovich ever put in, and both of them ran in years when Ohio was a swing state rather than a red one. He ran behind Dewine and row officers. Federal races should be easier wins than state ones for the favored party, not harder. Vance did not do well in Ohio in 2022 by any metric
Crazy. He ran against Tim Ryan, a moderate, and someone who had represented OH for 20 years in the House and was way more well known. Ryan supports many Trump policies and most importantly, OH is a very pro-Trump state and many Trumpers hate Vance.

"Ryan is an advocate of economic protectionism, unionization, and steps to reduce income inequality.[47][48][49] A critic of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), he has criticized George W. Bush's and Barack Obama's trade policies.[47][48][50]

Ryan has supported tougher measures against China and its ruling party. He has accused the nation of currency manipulation and outsourcing American manufacturing jobs.[47][51]

On July 2, 2024, after the Presidential debate, Tim Ryan called on Biden to be replaced as the Democratic Nominee with the Vice President Kamala Harris.[52]"

Crazy. He ran against Tim Ryan, a moderate, and someone who had represented OH for 20 years in the House and was way more well known. Ryan supports many Trump policies and most importantly, OH is a very pro-Trump state and many Trumpers hate Vance.

"Ryan is an advocate of economic protectionism, unionization, and steps to reduce income inequality.[47][48][49] A critic of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), he has criticized George W. Bush's and Barack Obama's trade policies.[47][48][50]

Ryan has supported tougher measures against China and its ruling party. He has accused the nation of currency manipulation and outsourcing American manufacturing jobs.[47][51]

On July 2, 2024, after the Presidential debate, Tim Ryan called on Biden to be replaced as the Democratic Nominee with the Vice President Kamala Harris.[52]"

I guess I wasn't paying attention - I didn't know Vance said that about Trump.

I guess my instinct was right - I don't trust him.

Reactions: UncleMark
I guess I wasn't paying attention - I didn't know Vance said that about Trump.

I guess my instinct was right - I don't trust him.
I went to see if I could find something Trump said about Reagan. He criticized him, but never with that kind of language. Of course, he's also the guy who seems to have pioneered "truthful hyperbole" in politics:

SIAP a long time ago, but some interesting takeaways:

*his hyperbole and exaggeration is a style of speaking, consistent with past ways of explaining why Trump supporters take his seriously, but not literally

*defending him as some type of true conservative is inconsistent with his previous written record of political positions and beliefs

*ironically, his positions today are closer to Pat Buchanan than any other past Republican I can think of; yet when running against him in the Reform Party, he called him Hitler.

*his core positions re negotiating and foreign relations being a zero sum game are consistent

"When this work was finished and he had another book to sell, he left the GOP in 1999 in order to flirt with the Reform Party. Catnip for the media, he appeared on Meet the Press, Fox News Sunday and Face the Nation. His outrageousness then was comparable to his outrageousness now. He said of opponent Pat Buchanan, “He’s a Hitler lover; I guess he’s an anti-Semite. He doesn’t like the blacks, he doesn’t like the gays.” He said that his ideal running mate would be Oprah Winfrey because “she’s popular, she’s brilliant, she’s a wonderful woman.”

He said any president should be a great negotiator who can make deals. “The dealmaker is cunning, secretive, focused and never settles for less than he wants,” Trump wrote. “It’s been a long time since America had a president like that.”

Trump wanted a ban on assault weapons and waiting periods for gun purchasers. He also favored a national health care system. “We must have universal healthcare,” Trump wrote. “Doctors might be paid less than they are now, as is the case in Canada, but they would be able to treat more patients because of the reduction in their paperwork. … The Canadian plan also helps Canadians live longer and healthier than Americans. There are fewer medical lawsuits, less loss of labor to sickness, and lower costs to companies paying for the medical care of their employee. … We need, as a nation, to reexamine the single-payer plan, as many individual states are doing.”

In that same book, Trump also proposed a one-time net-worth tax on the richest Americans (those worth more than $10 million) in order to reduce the federal debt. “By imposing a one-time 14.25 percent net-worth tax on the richest individuals and trusts, we can put America on sound financial footing for the next century,” he wrote. “The plan would cost me $700 million personally in the short term, but it would be worth it.”

The Trump for President 2000 campaign featured his claim that “the only difference between me and the other candidates is that I’m more honest and my women are more beautiful.” He also complained of politicians who cited their humble origins. He mocked them for saying, in effect, “Elect me, I’m a loser.”

I went to see if I could find something Trump said about Reagan. He criticized him, but never with that kind of language. Of course, he's also the guy who seems to have pioneered "truthful hyperbole" in politics:

SIAP a long time ago, but some interesting takeaways:

*his hyperbole and exaggeration is a style of speaking, consistent with past ways of explaining why Trump supporters take his seriously, but not literally

*defending him as some type of true conservative is inconsistent with his previous written record of political positions and beliefs

*ironically, his positions today are closer to Pat Buchanan than any other past Republican I can think of; yet when running against him in the Reform Party, he called him Hitler.

*his core positions re negotiating and foreign relations being a zero sum game are consistent

"When this work was finished and he had another book to sell, he left the GOP in 1999 in order to flirt with the Reform Party. Catnip for the media, he appeared on Meet the Press, Fox News Sunday and Face the Nation. His outrageousness then was comparable to his outrageousness now. He said of opponent Pat Buchanan, “He’s a Hitler lover; I guess he’s an anti-Semite. He doesn’t like the blacks, he doesn’t like the gays.” He said that his ideal running mate would be Oprah Winfrey because “she’s popular, she’s brilliant, she’s a wonderful woman.”

He said any president should be a great negotiator who can make deals. “The dealmaker is cunning, secretive, focused and never settles for less than he wants,” Trump wrote. “It’s been a long time since America had a president like that.”

Trump wanted a ban on assault weapons and waiting periods for gun purchasers. He also favored a national health care system. “We must have universal healthcare,” Trump wrote. “Doctors might be paid less than they are now, as is the case in Canada, but they would be able to treat more patients because of the reduction in their paperwork. … The Canadian plan also helps Canadians live longer and healthier than Americans. There are fewer medical lawsuits, less loss of labor to sickness, and lower costs to companies paying for the medical care of their employee. … We need, as a nation, to reexamine the single-payer plan, as many individual states are doing.”

In that same book, Trump also proposed a one-time net-worth tax on the richest Americans (those worth more than $10 million) in order to reduce the federal debt. “By imposing a one-time 14.25 percent net-worth tax on the richest individuals and trusts, we can put America on sound financial footing for the next century,” he wrote. “The plan would cost me $700 million personally in the short term, but it would be worth it.”

The Trump for President 2000 campaign featured his claim that “the only difference between me and the other candidates is that I’m more honest and my women are more beautiful.” He also complained of politicians who cited their humble origins. He mocked them for saying, in effect, “Elect me, I’m a loser.”
I don't remember reading any of that in your last paragraph. Not saying he didn't say it, but you would think the Dems would have hammered any quotes like those.

I've always laughed at anyone who said Trump is a Conservative. He has some conservative ideas and promotes conservative ideas because it gets him votes.

But he's not an ideologue. I used to be much more of an ideologue, which is why I could never see myself supporting Trump. I held my nose and voted for him in 2016 and then realized he's an actual problem-solver. That, and the sheer hysteria from Democrats and media about him, caused me to look at things in a different way. I came to see the federal bureaucracy as a far great danger to our freedom and democracy than any one individual.

I think some like Nikki Haley could get along better with Democrats (although she'd still be Hitler to them), but would someone like her expose the rot of the federal government like Trump has? No way. The go-along-to-get-along philosophy has not led Republicans to where we want to be. I'm thankful Trump came along to show a different way and give Republicans some backbone and not be cowards in front of the media.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
I don't remember reading any of that in your last paragraph. Not saying he didn't say it, but you would think the Dems would have hammered any quotes like those.

I've always laughed at anyone who said Trump is a Conservative. He has some conservative ideas and promotes conservative ideas because it gets him votes.

But he's not an ideologue. I used to be much more of an ideologue, which is why I could never see myself supporting Trump. I held my nose and voted for him in 2016 and then realized he's an actual problem-solver. That, and the sheer hysteria from Democrats and media about him, caused me to look at things in a different way. I came to see the federal bureaucracy as a far great danger to our freedom and democracy than any one individual.

I think some like Nikki Haley could get along better with Democrats (although she'd still be Hitler to them), but would someone like her expose the rot of the federal government like Trump has? No way. The go-along-to-get-along philosophy has not led Republicans to where we want to be. I'm thankful Trump came along to show a different way and give Republicans some backbone and not be cowards in front of the media.
He wrote it in a book. Those are quoted excerpts, per the linked article.

Edit: Sorry, last paragraph does, indeed, look like oral quotes.

Trump is a populist and we're a big tent party now. Democrats are the party of elites, illegal immigrants, and the non-working.

I hope the 5th one is Youngkin. I think he's a can't miss pick and a great potential future President.

Tim Scott I really like, but like him in the Senate. Democrats and the media would make him an Uncle Tom and he doesn't deserve that.
Scott adds absolutely nothing to the ticket. He polls worse among blacks in SC than Trump does. Lol.

Youngkin would be solid. You can tell the Dems don't want him to be the pick.

Scott adds absolutely nothing to the ticket. He polls worse among blacks in SC than Trump does. Lol.

Youngkin would be solid. You can tell the Dems don't want him to be the pick.
I think nationally Scott would poll better, but I don't really follow the polls.

I think he'd be great against someone like Kamala in debates.

I think he'd be an asset to the ticket, but I think I prefer Youngkin to all of them, the more I think about it.

Reactions: 76-1
Yes. Robert Barnes, who is usually spot on with everything, says if it's Rubio then Trump definitely cut a deal with the deep state. Wouldn't shock me.
Someone has to move as Pres and Vice Pres cannot be from same state. How long does it take to set up residency in a new state legally.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT