ADVERTISEMENT

Trey Kaufman to IU is imminent

Yeah, but can he shoot the mid-range jumper?

We've seen a number of guys who are 6'8' or so who see the floor . . . but not many can shoot the ball reliably. Steve Green was from Silver Creek, and brought what 6'8" guys bring - interior defense, in the paint offense, rebounding - but the reason he was a great player was because he could shoot the ball reliably from mid-range . . . IIRC, in his senior year he was as good of a mid-range shooter as Scott May was in his junior year, maybe better . . .

. . . would love to see Trey bring big man mid-range shooting back to IU . . . .
I believe he can.

Didn’t Kitchel shoot like 66% from 3-point range in that one year that the B10 experimented the arc?
love me some Ted Kitchel reference. Maybe my all time favorite. One of the few who RMK could never 'break' ...and realized Ted was better for it. Tough summbitch, Ted was....played with extreme pain his Sr year until her could hardly even walk. Yes he led the league in shooting % during the 3 point experiment season (1982?)

And one of the few who could give Alford a run for his money in a game of horse, especially if he was allowed to use his 'two handed stuff shot'.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Very excited about Lander, I did not look at things yesterday and it is a big surprise. I would hope he reclassifies and we might have a strong backcourt next year that can do something with TJD. I've been very disappointed in Arch's tenure so far, but this is big business, I feel good things coming again, good get!
Must suck to be the last “IU fan” to learn of his commitment and then proceed to make an ass of yourself. Maybe you should read, watch and learn before you spout off your ludicrous opinions.

love me some Ted Kitchel reference. Maybe my all time favorite. One of the few who RMK could never 'break' ...and realized Ted was better for it. Tough summbitch, Ted was....played with extreme pain his Sr year until her could hardly even walk. Yes he led the league in shooting % during the 3 point experiment season (1982?)

And one of the few who could give Alford a run for his money in a game of horse, especially if he was allowed to use his 'two handed stuff shot'.
Knight once said that Kitchel was the player who got the most out of the talent he had. From stories I heard Steve Alford and Jeff Oliphant used to have historic games of horse. I think Jeff has a nephew who plays for Bloomfield, though I am not sure what grade he is in.

Kitchel and Alford didn’t play together.

Prior to that 3 pt shot experimental season RMK said "There are only 3 guys in the Big Ten who can shoot the 3 pt shot and I've got two of them," referring to Kitchel and Wittman . . . and after the season he joked that everybody in the Big Ten tried to prove that they were the 3rd guy who could shoot the 3, but nobody other than Kitch and Wittman could . . . .

Hey, you never know. Perhaps Kitchel showed up during practice while being in the area and shot around with Steve. It's possible.
I would have paid to watch that.

Actually Ted was probably my 2nd favorite, Calbert being first. Ray Jackson (the defensive stopper of the Fraud 5) said Cal was the hardest guy he ever guarded in college, and that included Steve Smith and Jimmy Jackson (both of which were B1G POYs and 1st team AAs). Said Calbert in the motion offense was unstoppable....constantly moving, cutting, moving cutting, curling, moving....said he was exhausted by halftime.

Reactions: ulrey
What do you guys think of Kaufman......to me he looks smallish and not all that quick or athletic.....I see him listed as 6'7" or 6'8"....looks more like 6'7". For the people who really like him, what do you see as his strengths, and do you think he's 6'7" or 6'8"?[/QU
I think he is a legit 6'9, smart player, runs the floor well, handles the ball well for a big man, good form on his shot. I don't know which game you have seen him play but his athletic skills are very good for his size. He isn't as strong as TJD but he is only a HS Jr.

And one of the few who could give Alford a run for his money in a game of horse, especially if he was allowed to use his 'two handed stuff shot'.[/QUOTE]

Jimmy Rayl might have had something to say about that!

Reactions: JIMSHAM

I haven't seen him live.....that's why I was asking those who had seen him and liked him for their take on it.....to me, on you tube highlights, he did not appear to be an explosive athlete.....and I wondered about his height. based on responses, he sounds like more of a banger, with a good outside shot (?), who's a legit 6'8".

Multiple reports that Kaufman spent the weekend on a visit to UL.
I wouldn't be panicking. Lander took a visit to Louisville days before committing to IU. Kaufman will be committing to IU after Silver Creek's season is over. High school kids enjoy taking visits to major programs, especially when there's not a whole lot to do in a place like Sellersburg, Indiana.

I wouldn't be panicking. Lander took a visit to Louisville days before committing to IU. Kaufman will be committing to IU after Silver Creek's season is over. High school kids enjoy taking visits to major programs, especially when there's not a whole lot to do in a place like Sellersburg, Indiana.

Sellersburg is Louisville metro...there is lots to do.

There is some other guy claiming he is a xavier lock. Uugghhh.

If Purdue lands Furst and Brown, they will tough to beat. Sad thing is that Brown would commit to IU if they offered today.
I watched Brown and Galloway both within the last month. Brown was more impressive.

If Purdue lands Furst and Brown, they will tough to beat. Sad thing is that Brown would commit to IU if they offered today.
I watched Brown and Galloway both within the last month. Brown was more impressive.
Brown is an impressive shooter. There's no argument there. Is he a player capable of creating his own shot off the dribble against Big Ten guards? That remains to be seen. If he was, he'd be a can't-miss prospect with the big-time programs lining up to come see him play.

What makes you think Brown couldn’t get a shot off in D1? He gets his shot off no problem with 2 guys guarding him much of the time.

Reactions: Sassy61
What makes you think Brown couldn’t get a shot off in D1? He gets his shot off no problem with 2 guys guarding him much of the time.
I believe you're having difficulty comprehending the difference between playing Frankton, South Adams, Winchester or Madison-Grant and playing Michigan State, Maryland, Wisconsin and Ohio State. The level of competition isn't even in the same universe.

Ryan Cline is a much better prospect than Luke Brown. Cline is 6-5 and can get his own shot off against D1 competition.

I wasn't comparing them head to head as recruits, I was merely trying to make the point that PU has had more success recruiting "role players", and shooting is a role they seem to value more than we have. But, and admittedly I'm about the worst armchair QB on here, as far as Brown goes, if I'm a coach backup PGs who can pass, shoot from distance and make FTs is another role I'm interested in filling. Won't surprise me in the least if PU does get him and at some point he buries an important shot against our "more athletic" Hoosiers.

Reactions: Sassy61
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT