ADVERTISEMENT

Trey Kaufman to IU is imminent

What makes you think Brown couldn’t get a shot off in D1? He gets his shot off no problem with 2 guys guarding him much of the time.

Because he's playing 2A competition in high school. Let me back up, he can definitely play D1 basketball, but he's not a P5 guard.

Reactions: cshartle123
Because he's playing 2A competition in high school. Let me back up, he can definitely play D1 basketball, but he's not a P5 guard.

I understand there is a difference, but I also understand after watching some of his games that he's getting doubleteamed and is still hitting from 22+' and making passes that his 2A teammates can't handle. What do you think about him as a backup PG for someone? He's not getting doubleteamed at a P5 school so someone who makes good decisions with the ball, hits the open 3, the open man and his FTs would seem to be valuable. I still remember when Stilman White ended up as UNC's starting PG through a series of bad breaks and if you added some weight and experience it would seem that his shooting could help this year's Hoosiers.

Lol. I have no personal stake in the game.
The kid is exactly what we need on this current team. Regardless of the competition, putting up 35 a game against constant double teams is not easy.
According to the daily hoosier, it appears he was putting up 15-20 for Indiana Elite.

Lol. I have no personal stake in the game.
The kid is exactly what we need on this current team. Regardless of the competition, putting up 35 a game against constant double teams is not easy.
According to the daily hoosier, it appears he was putting up 15-20 for Indiana Elite.
He is a big time player who is a lights out shooter.

Reactions: Sassy61
I understand there is a difference, but I also understand after watching some of his games that he's getting doubleteamed and is still hitting from 22+' and making passes that his 2A teammates can't handle. What do you think about him as a backup PG for someone? He's not getting doubleteamed at a P5 school so someone who makes good decisions with the ball, hits the open 3, the open man and his FTs would seem to be valuable. I still remember when Stilman White ended up as UNC's starting PG through a series of bad breaks and if you added some weight and experience it would seem that his shooting could help this year's Hoosiers.

It's all a plot by major college coaches to keep him from being the next Steph Curry.

Or maybe he's just not good enough.

Last edited:
It's all a plot by major college coaches to keep him from being the next Steph Curry.

Or maybe he's just not good enough.

I'm accepting that he's not a savior or starter, but questioning if he could help a team as a backup. I don't live up there and don't follow recruiting like others, but shooting is a glaring need on this team particularly so it adds interest when you've got a kid who can shoot like that. One of the age old questions: can the less athletic shooter still get his shot against higher level defenders? Various forms of that argument have been made against many guys (Alford, Lewis, Coverdale, Brody Boyd, Skiles, Zeisloft, Jordan Hulls and Jay Burson to name a few who proved folks wrong, and Richie Mount and many others who didn't) over the years to varying degrees of accuracy. But he seemed to me to have a very quick release and is shooting while often double teamed from distance and is also a good passer, so it seems interesting. You may be right, but I also remember you telling me there were no minutes to be had by a grad transfer given our guard rotation and I think we all see that was not the case. He may not be quick or athletic enough, but it will be fun to see where he goes and how he does. What level of school do you see him at?

I'm accepting that he's not a savior or starter, but questioning if he could help a team as a backup. I don't live up there and don't follow recruiting like others, but shooting is a glaring need on this team particularly so it adds interest when you've got a kid who can shoot like that. One of the age old questions: can the less athletic shooter still get his shot against higher level defenders? Various forms of that argument have been made against many guys (Alford, Lewis, Coverdale, Brody Boyd, Skiles, Zeisloft, Jordan Hulls and Jay Burson to name a few who proved folks wrong, and Richie Mount and many others who didn't) over the years to varying degrees of accuracy. But he seemed to me to have a very quick release and is shooting while often double teamed from distance and is also a good passer, so it seems interesting. You may be right, but I also remember you telling me there were no minutes to be had by a grad transfer given our guard rotation and I think we all see that was not the case. He may not be quick or athletic enough, but it will be fun to see where he goes and how he does. What level of school do you see him at?
Yea, and they were all offered by major teams. This kid hasn't been. There's a reason why.

Remove Zeisloft from that list he may have been the worst defender to ever play at IU.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
Reactions: kkott
Yea, and they were all offered by major teams. This kid hasn't been. There's a reason why.

Remove Zeisloft from that list he may have been the worst defender to ever play at IU.

Zeisloft is, as I said, part of the intrigue. He may have been a crappy defender but he certainly helped us while he was here imo. But, what he went to Eastern IL, and then got the chance to prove he belonged and he did, despite several on here saying he couldn't play. I'd love to have him this year: his crappy D would fit right in and his shooting would be welcomed!

Plus Brown is only a junior right? I'll bet some of those guys didn't have major offers at that point. Someone (Northwestern perhaps?) might decide to take a flier on him.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-2021-names-to-know-luke-brown/

I wonder how he put up 15-20 pts per game and over 5 assists for Indiana Elite??

He's definitely good enough to be on the AAU team. Im not saying that. The kid is good enough to play mid major, so why couldn't he play on a AAU team?

But when his dad pulled him off the team in the middle of a tournament last year because he had to share minutes with other kids, that's not a good look and not something that coaches are gonna want to deal with either.

Again, his dad did him a disservice by doing that and thus, he'll be regulated to a lower level of AAU where he can't play against the best.

Purdue fans claiming Luke Brown to Purdue with Furst, Insude-Outside.

I haven't seen any buzz on Brown to Purdue from anyone who watches closely (other than maybe a couple people on a free board). The kid we hope to pair with Furst is Harrison Ingram who we have a decent shot at (he's visiting Memphis this weekend, and Stanford is very involved so it won't be easy)…. Only two scholarships for 2021 so that could be it barring any changes (and nobody has transferred out of the program in some time so that doesn't look as likely).

I was fortunate to watch Jimmy Rayl play at Kokomo and IU. Luke Brown reminds me of the "Splendid Splinter". Luke has a high basketball IQ, works hard and has a great motor. He will continue to be a winner......somewhere.

He can ask to walk on at IU. Miller might take him in that role. If Miller offered Brown, a zero star prospect, a scholarship, several of our perpetually negative posters would spontaneously combust!
Miller won’t take him as a walk on. He would never sniff the floor, and he does not elevate practice for the scholarship players. He has good basketball skill and IQ, but the big ten is a grown man’s league.

Zeisloft is, as I said, part of the intrigue. He may have been a crappy defender but he certainly helped us while he was here imo. But, what he went to Eastern IL, and then got the chance to prove he belonged and he did, despite several on here saying he couldn't play. I'd love to have him this year: his crappy D would fit right in and his shooting would be welcomed!

Plus Brown is only a junior right? I'll bet some of those guys didn't have major offers at that point. Someone (Northwestern perhaps?) might decide to take a flier on him.

Luke was held back a year. He should be a senior this year.

Reactions: Vern Pain
Brown is an impressive shooter. There's no argument there. Is he a player capable of creating his own shot off the dribble against Big Ten guards? That remains to be seen. If he was, he'd be a can't-miss prospect with the big-time programs lining up to come see him play.
Set picks for Brown like Purdue did for Ryan Cline. Cline could not create his own shot and was deadly against IU.

Brown is an impressive shooter. There's no argument there. Is he a player capable of creating his own shot off the dribble against Big Ten guards? That remains to be seen. If he was, he'd be a can't-miss prospect with the big-time programs lining up to come see him play.

This is what I keep asking: why does he need to do that? I'm accepting that he's probably limited athletically to the point that he can't create his own shot, but from the description of him, I think his natural role would be a backup PG and spot up shooter. A guy that a TJD or Garza would kick to when the double team comes. Think a combo of Jordan Hulls and Eric Suhr type role. That seems more likely to me.

Luke was held back a year. He should be a senior this year.

Yes, I know that. So, you're saying he's a junior, right?

G grief, why do so many take pot shots at this kid? You think he's the first athlete that got held back a year for sports?

Ryan Cline is a much better prospect than Luke Brown. Cline is 6-5 and can get his own shot off against D1 competition.

And that was a college junior-senior Ryan Cline. There were many saying "wasted scholly" his freshman year. In fact, I think I may have been one.

This is what I keep asking: why does he need to do that? I'm accepting that he's probably limited athletically to the point that he can't create his own shot, but from the description of him, I think his natural role would be a backup PG and spot up shooter. A guy that a TJD or Garza would kick to when the double team comes. Think a combo of Jordan Hulls and Eric Suhr type role. That seems more likely to me.
I understand your point. I believe some on this board are falling in love with the fact he's a plucky, underrated kid from a small Indiana town. IU can find a guard who is an equally good shooter and fits the mold of a high-major caliber guard. There's a reason he only has offers from Ball State and Iona. There's a reason Blake Wesley -- also a class of 2021 guard -- has offers from Purdue, Indiana, Cincinnati, Butler and Notre Dame, among others.

Who is the last person we brought in that is “an equally good shooter”?
Therein lies the problem.

Who is the last person we brought in that is “an equally good shooter”?
Therein lies the problem.

You're assuming Luke Brown's shooting in high school translates to this level of basketball. I don't believe it does.

I understand your point. I believe some on this board are falling in love with the fact he's a plucky, underrated kid from a small Indiana town. IU can find a guard who is an equally good shooter and fits the mold of a high-major caliber guard. There's a reason he only has offers from Ball State and Iona. There's a reason Blake Wesley -- also a class of 2021 guard -- has offers from Purdue, Indiana, Cincinnati, Butler and Notre Dame, among others.

All I've ever said is it would be wise for IU to keep tabs on him and communication open with him. Exactly as UNC did with Jonathan Holmes a while ago and Luke Maye more recently. Things change, and he might improve a little and our situation for shooters could get worse (OK, that may not be possible, but it's a hypothetical), and questioned if he might have a role somewhere as a backup. He's a good shooter from a small IN school, I root for almost all IN kids... except the ones that go to PU (and even a few of them when they're not beating us). I'm rooting for the kid. I hope he goes to BSU or wherever and scores 18 ppg and makes everyone here wish we had him. Oh yeah, there's another name I was trying to think of who wasn't athletic enough to play at IU: Bryant McIntosh. Remember when he was committed to ISU and wasn't athletic enough to create his own shot at a major D1 school? I'm not saying this kid is BM, but it's happened many times before.

I was fortunate to watch Jimmy Rayl play at Kokomo and IU. Luke Brown reminds me of the "Splendid Splinter". Luke has a high basketball IQ, works hard and has a great motor. He will continue to be a winner......somewhere.
Maybe they can get him as a walkon on a baseball schollie.

Oh yeah, there's another name I was trying to think of who wasn't athletic enough to play at IU: Bryant McIntosh. Remember when he was committed to ISU and wasn't athletic enough to create his own shot at a major D1 school? I'm not saying this kid is BM, but it's happened many times before.

Bryant McIntosh was 6'3", was a ranked prospect at one point, and had offers from Cincy, WV, Purdue, Auburn, Clemson, Mizzou and Iowa, among others. Luke Brown doesn't even qualify for a Rivals profile.

I'm with you on Brown though, he is certainly worth keeping tabs on. I personally believe he will be a good role player for some team in limited minutes, but his lack of height or athleticism will definitely cause issues on defense. I've been hoping for years that he would grow a few inches because that's really the only thing keeping him from an IU offer.

Yes, I know that. So, you're saying he's a junior, right?

G grief, why do so many take pot shots at this kid? You think he's the first athlete that got held back a year for sports?

Saying he got held back isn't taking a shot at the kid. He's old for his class. His ceiling is lower than what other kids will be coming in. That's all that i was imply by that.

I've been one of the few on here saying that i think he'll make a fine mid major prospect. How is that taking a shot at the kid?

What i find is a disservice to the kid is the hype machine behind him. There is literally a Facebook page for a Luke Brown fan page, which isn't a problem, but some of the stuff that they post is crazy. Someone made a YouTube video comparing him to Steve Nash. I mean, Steve Nash, a NBA MVP. It's a video from when he was in like 8th grade, yet, why are they promoting it still just last February? That Is a comparison that he'll never be able to match.

The community is doing this kid no favors at all.

Some people on here wouldn’t have wanted Steve Nash because he is too short and unathletic. I can’t imagine the competition was all that great up there either.

What exactly has he won? I was under the impression he & his family have tailored his career around breaking Bailey’s scoring record & winning is secondary. I will root against him in his pursuit...

What exactly has he won? I was under the impression he & his family have tailored his career around breaking Bailey’s scoring record & winning is secondary. I will root against him in his pursuit...
...and Bailey would beat the brakes off him.

No he wouldn't now, isn't Bailey around 50 yrs old? Luke Brown Is a better pure shooter than Damon. Pat Graham was also an over 90% FT shooter.

Too bad we don’t have a Div 1 H-O-R-S-E team he could play on...

ADVERTISEMENT