ADVERTISEMENT

Trey Kaufman to IU is imminent

No he wouldn't now, isn't Bailey around 50 yrs old? Luke Brown Is a better pure shooter than Damon. Pat Graham was also an over 90% FT shooter.

Why don't you understand that people are allowed to guard Brown? College won't be 2a ball.

Saying he got held back isn't taking a shot at the kid. He's old for his class. His ceiling is lower than what other kids will be coming in. That's all that i was imply by that.

I've been one of the few on here saying that i think he'll make a fine mid major prospect. How is that taking a shot at the kid?

What i find is a disservice to the kid is the hype machine behind him. There is literally a Facebook page for a Luke Brown fan page, which isn't a problem, but some of the stuff that they post is crazy. Someone made a YouTube video comparing him to Steve Nash. I mean, Steve Nash, a NBA MVP. It's a video from when he was in like 8th grade, yet, why are they promoting it still just last February? That Is a comparison that he'll never be able to match.

The community is doing this kid no favors at all.

well, this is an IU site, so I can't answer for what's going on with the kids or his friends and family, maybe you should post that there and ask? But, remember, he's a 17yo kid, who has 16-17yo friends... remember those days? Wouldn't surprise me at all if one of his buddies made a site to promote his friend. Again, asking at that site would be the place to get answers. But holding a kid out for a year (or prep school for a year) are very common practices to me, to the point that it's not even worth mentioning. I almost assume most top athletes are old for their grade, and think it's more notable if they're not.

well, this is an IU site, so I can't answer for what's going on with the kids or his friends and family, maybe you should post that there and ask? But, remember, he's a 17yo kid, who has 16-17yo friends... remember those days? Wouldn't surprise me at all if one of his buddies made a site to promote his friend. Again, asking at that site would be the place to get answers. But holding a kid out for a year (or prep school for a year) are very common practices to me, to the point that it's not even worth mentioning. I almost assume most top athletes are old for their grade, and think it's more notable if they're not.

These are adults running that site, not kids.

What my issue with him, and a lot of people's issue with him is that it seems like he runs from competition. He was suppose to go to Brownsburg, a huge step up from blackford. He moves, whatever, he wants to set the state scoring record. He doesn't do that at Brownsburg with the schedule they play and the players he would have played with.

Then his dad pulls him from his AAU team because he doesn't think he's getting enough playing time. That's absolutely insane to me. How is that in any way shape or form a good look for the kid?

Coaches are gonna run with behavior like that. Yet, people think because he can put up 30 against kids that couldn't play at on court 1 at hyper, he should be playing here.

Tim Priller looked good in a high light tape too.

Reactions: McHoop

What my issue with him, and a lot of people's issue with him is that it seems like he runs from competition. He was suppose to go to Brownsburg, a huge step up from blackford. He moves, whatever, he wants to set the state scoring record. He doesn't do that at Brownsburg with the schedule they play and the players he would have played with.

Then his dad pulls him from his AAU team because he doesn't think he's getting enough playing time. That's absolutely insane to me. How is that in any way shape or form a good look for the kid?

Coaches are gonna run with behavior like that. Yet, people think because he can put up 30 against kids that couldn't play at on court 1 at hyper, he should be playing here.

Amen. I'm sure he's a good kid, but I don't understand why some on this board are so infatuated with the idea of the IU staff wasting time communicating with him, bringing him in as a walk-on, full-on recruiting him, etc. Wake up, people. It's not going to happen!

No he wouldn't now, isn't Bailey around 50 yrs old? Luke Brown Is a better pure shooter than Damon. Pat Graham was also an over 90% FT shooter.
Pat Graham was also a McDonald's All-American, so he was a high-level recruit.

Sadly he was also diabetic and had such a hard time recovering from a broken foot due to that.

Reactions: .Gerdis

So you have an issue with him because of the actions of his father? He is a kid for crying out loud. If even what you say happened is factual, it is not the kids fault. He was performing very well for Indiana Elite by all accounts. Oh.... and he put up 34 in a win again last night.

So you have an issue with him because of the actions of his father? He is a kid for crying out loud. If even what you say happened is factual, it is not the kids fault. He was performing very well for Indiana Elite by all accounts. Oh.... and he put up 34 in a win again last night.

I have said what is going on with this kid isn't fair to him many times. He's being billed as something he can't possibly live up to. But when Luke Brown has been pulled constantly from competing against the best competition he could, that raises a huge red flag in not just my eyes, but in many people's eyes.

And that's not fair to the kid.

I never saw Priller in highlight film, but I doubt that. I knew he was going to be a bust when I saw he averaged 4 rpg, and wasn't even playing in a big school div in texas. How could you be 6'9" and only get 4 rebs a game playing against much smaller kids?

For Brown, I have no idea what his situation is. All I know is that the game film (not hightlights) I saw of him I was actually surprised at how well he moved with the ball, his passing and the range he was shooting at over a defense designed to stop him. Looked like a very solid player to me. It just seems, like you, many on here are mad at his "situation" and seem to want him to fail or struggle a bit because of it. If that's his situation, he's far from alone as an athlete of having f'd up parents and enablers who have visions of grandeur for him.

Last edited:
Amen. I'm sure he's a good kid, but I don't understand why some on this board are so infatuated with the idea of the IU staff wasting time communicating with him, bringing him in as a walk-on, full-on recruiting him, etc. Wake up, people. It's not going to happen!

Ummm, have you seen our guards shoot the ball this year? I don't care who it is, as long as we get some players who can shoot! And, I'm not convinced any of the kids in next years class right now (I'm not counting Lander there yet) are the answer either. I don't care if it's Luke Brown, Dee Brown or Bad Bad Leroy Brown, I hope we have a couple kids who can make 3s consistenly next year.

I never saw Priller in highlight film, but I doubt that. I knew he was going to be a bust when I saw he averaged 4 rpg, and wasn't even playing in a big school div in texas.

For Brown, I have no idea what his situation is. All I know is that the game film (not hightlights) I saw of him I was actually surprised at how well he moved with the ball, his passing and the range he was shooting at over a defense designed to stop him. Looked like a very solid player to me. It just seems, like you, many on here are mad at his "situation" and seem to want him to fail or struggle a bit because of it. If that's his situation, he's far from alone as an athlete of having f'd up parents and enablers who have visions of grandeur for him.
Dude, we're not recruiters for major universities .. and the recruiters for major universities have deemed this kid not good enough to play at a power five school, it's why they are not recruiting him. It has nothing to do with anyone being mad. fwiw - He's not the next GWH ...

Dude, we're not recruiters for major universities .. and the recruiters for major universities have deemed this kid not good enough to play at a power five school, it's why they are not recruiting him. It has nothing to do with anyone being mad. He's not the next GWH.

That would be relevant if I said he was. You're replying to a post I directed to Baller about why he is so critical of the kid and seems to want him to fail. You guys seem to wonder why folks are infatuated with Brown, I'm trying to understand why some seem to want a 17 yo kid to "get what's coming to him" for actions of his parents.

All I've ever wondered about Brown, is might he be good enough for a backup PG or walkon spot at IU; does that sound like the GWH? But I have said, I think it's smart for our coaches to keep tabs on any kid who might develop or have a specific skill like shooting that we need in a given year. Many on here even question that, although I think it has more to do with this particular kid, which leaves me scratching my head. That's how you end up with reaches like a Gelon, or with having 2 unused schollies and a team that can't shoot.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Ummm, have you seen our guards shoot the ball this year? I don't care who it is, as long as we get some players who can shoot! And, I'm not convinced any of the kids in next years class right now (I'm not counting Lander there yet) are the answer either. I don't care if it's Luke Brown, Dee Brown or Bad Bad Leroy Brown, I hope we have a couple kids who can make 3s consistenly next year.
This may not be a popular opinion, but I think we already have shooters on this team. Hunter, Durham, Phinisee, Franklin, and even Thompson. The offense has been so poorly executed that we haven’t been able to create a lot of open looks within rhythm. I think our shooting numbers will trend up as our guards improve. It may take another half of a season for that to happen though. This is just my instinct, and is not based on any statistics.

Reactions: .Gerdis and T.M.P.
Have you ever seen him play?

This may not be a popular opinion, but I think we already have shooters on this team. Hunter, Durham, Phinisee, Franklin, and even Thompson. The offense has been so poorly executed that we haven’t been able to create a lot of open looks within rhythm. I think our shooting numbers will trend up as our guards improve. It may take another half of a season for that to happen though. This is just my instinct, and is not based on any statistics.

That would actually be a very popular opinion...

if it were only true!

I think we have some kids that could develop into, or might be, OK shooters, but I'm talking about 1 or 2 who are deadeyes. Don't see anyone like that on this team.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
We have shooters, what we don't have is perimeter scorers or a creator. Someone that can take and hit the tough shots.

No, but I know he's bad, a shooter and hits from downtown.
I have seen him play. He's not a bad player.

But there is a reason he hasn't received a Power 5 offer. Not ONE. He just isn't that good. He has limitations athletically and when matched up against athletes from the Big 10 / ACC / Big 12 / etc . . . he is going to struggle to get any meaningful playing time.

That's not being mean or spiteful. It's just the truth.

Reactions: bsmitty08
I have seen him play. He's not a bad player.

But there is a reason he hasn't received a Power 5 offer. Not ONE. He just isn't that good. He has limitations athletically and when matched up against athletes from the Big 10 / ACC / Big 12 / etc . . . he is going to struggle to get any meaningful playing time.

That's not being mean or spiteful. It's just the truth.

You've seen Bad Bad Leroy Brown play? Does he have eligibility left? I don't know how he can jump or run with a razor in his shoe.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
You've seen Bad Bad Leroy Brown play? Does he have eligibility left? I don't know how he can jump or run with a razor in his shoe.
He's a Bad Mother . . . SHUT YO MOUTH!!

bad_bad_leroy_brown_by_jrosenbomb_d6h9zqp-fullview.jpg

We have shooters, what we don't have is perimeter scorers or a creator. Someone that can take and hit the tough shots.
I agree, and Luke Brown does not fill that role. Lander looks like the perfect puzzle piece.

That would be relevant if I said he was. You're replying to a post I directed to Baller about why he is so critical of the kid and seems to want him to fail. You guys seem to wonder why folks are infatuated with Brown, I'm trying to understand why some seem to want a 17 yo kid to "get what's coming to him" for actions of his parents.

All I've ever wondered about Brown, is might he be good enough for a backup PG or walkon spot at IU; does that sound like the GWH? But I have said, I think it's smart for our coaches to keep tabs on any kid who might develop or have a specific skill like shooting that we need in a given year. Many on here even question that, although I think it has more to do with this particular kid, which leaves me scratching my head. That's how you end up with reaches like a Gelon, or with having 2 unused schollies and a team that can't shoot.

Please show me where I have said anything remotely wishing that Luke Brown will fail in basketball. And what exactly does he "have coming to him" mean?

I have always had the stance that he will be a fine mid major player. But he's not good enough for Indiana. That's not a knock on the kid. That's the truth.

He doesn't play defense. He's a 6 foot shooting guard. He is gonna get mauled by bigger, stronger guards in the Big 10. Can he shoot, absolutely. That's only one aspect of the game. This isnt horse. He doesn't have the lateral quickness to stay with kids on defense. His handle is to lose, he tries to make a easy play look hard.

Being a mid major talent isn't a bad thing.

Bryant McIntosh was 6'3", was a ranked prospect at one point, and had offers from Cincy, WV, Purdue, Auburn, Clemson, Mizzou and Iowa, among others. Luke Brown doesn't even qualify for a Rivals profile.

I'm with you on Brown though, he is certainly worth keeping tabs on. I personally believe he will be a good role player for some team in limited minutes, but his lack of height or athleticism will definitely cause issues on defense. I've been hoping for years that he would grow a few inches because that's really the only thing keeping him from an IU offer.

Don't think so as a Junior. He'd committed to ISU and then reopened his recruiting later; I think after his AAU season entering his Senior year. I believe that's when he started getting high major D1 interest and offers.

Please show me where I have said anything remotely wishing that Luke Brown will fail in basketball. And what exactly does he "have coming to him" mean?

I have always had the stance that he will be a fine mid major player. But he's not good enough for Indiana. That's not a knock on the kid. That's the truth.

He doesn't play defense. He's a 6 foot shooting guard. He is gonna get mauled by bigger, stronger guards in the Big 10. Can he shoot, absolutely. That's only one aspect of the game. This isnt horse. He doesn't have the lateral quickness to stay with kids on defense. His handle is to lose, he tries to make a easy play look hard.

Look at this post. It follows the pattern of your others. You run the kid into the ground but then try and cover it with "he'll be a midmajor player!". Have you seen mid major ball? It's not filled with 6' shooting guards who can only shoot, don't play D, or have lateral quickness, loose handles and make easy plays look hard (that last comment made me laugh... as that's what I think Devonte often does). Still really good ballplayers... although often not of the pedigree of high level D1 prospects.

Last edited:
Look at this email. It follows the pattern of your others. You run the kid into the ground but then try and cover it with "he'll be a midmajor player!". Have you seen mid major ball? It's not filled with 6' shooting guards who can only shoot, don't play D, or have lateral quickness, loose handles and make easy plays look hard (that last comment made me laugh... as that's what I think Devonte often does). Still really good ballplayers... although often not of the pedigree of high level D1 prospects.

So me saying that I think him being on the mid major level, gave my reasoning behind it (which never once made it personal toward the kid) and saying that he's not good enough for Indiana is burying the kid? Again, about 1% of high school kids go on to play at the mid major level. That's pretty good I would say, no? But that's burying the kid.

I'm starting to think you're related to him or a family friend.

So me saying that I think him being on the mid major level, gave my reasoning behind it (which never once made it personal toward the kid) and saying that he's not good enough for Indiana is burying the kid? Again, about 1% of high school kids go on to play at the mid major level. That's pretty good I would say, no? But that's burying the kid.

I'm starting to think you're related to him or a family friend.

Not at all, I've watched about 15 minutes of game film of the kid on the internet, mid major is likely where he'll end up it appears. And, I totally agree that mid major players are very good. Often just an inch or two short, or a half step slow. They don't have loose handles, and lack lateral quickness and not play D, etc.... That player isn't playing mid major ball; isn't playing ball in college at all, except at the rec center. Your criticisms/critiques of him and his situation seem excessive. It's not personal at all on my end.

How does he compare to the youngest Graves kid that played for Butler?

Not at all, I've watched about 15 minutes of game film of the kid on the internet, mid major is likely where he'll end up it appears. And, I totally agree that mid major players are very good. Often just an inch or two short, or a half step slow. They don't have loose handles, and lack lateral quickness and not play D, etc.... That player isn't playing mid major ball; isn't playing ball in college at all, except at the rec center. Your criticisms/critiques of him and his situation seem excessive. It's not personal at all on my end.
He's basically a slower, less talented, less athletic version of Brady Boyd.

He's basically a slower, less talented, less athletic version of Brady Boyd.

Boyd was a heckuva player, but wasn't he 5'9"-5'10"ish? Still, I think of that as pretty high praise and is the kid I thought about. I didn't see Boyd play til Iowa, but it seems Brown might be a little better passer to me. And to offset, I would think Boyd was a little quicker.

Last edited:
Luke brown will score more pts than Brody Boyd he played on 1A team Luke may also break Bailey Scoring record also maybe break all time Indiana asst record. not bad at all!
Boyd played a much tougher schedule. I watched them almost beat Bloomington North twice in 97. Yeah that same North team that won the last real State Championship.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT