ADVERTISEMENT

Trey Kaufman to IU is imminent

MikeHoncho69

Sophomore
Jan 15, 2018
Take it for what it's worth, but the person I know who is well-connected to IU Athletics tells me Trey Kaufman is a silent IU commit. Kaufman took an official visit to IU on the weekend of September 13 - 15 for the IU - Ohio State football game. He was back in Bloomington a few weeks later for Hoosier Hysteria, and has been in attendance at Assembly Hall for multiple games this season.

I'm told he's staying under the radar while focusing on leading Silver Creek High School to a second consecutive Indiana 3A state title. A public announcement is likely to come either when Silver Creek's season ends or shortly thereafter.

Stay tuned.

Take it for what it's worth, but the person I know who is well-connected to IU Athletics tells me Trey Kaufman is a silent IU commit. Kaufman took an official visit to IU on the weekend of September 13 - 15 for the IU - Ohio State football game. He was back in Bloomington a few weeks later for Hoosier Hysteria, and has been in attendance at Assembly Hall for multiple games this season.

I'm told he's staying under the radar while focusing on leading Silver Creek High School to a second consecutive Indiana 3A state title. A public announcement is likely to come either when Silver Creek's season ends or shortly thereafter.

Stay tuned.
Well, it's only February . . . how soon is Silver Creek's season likely to end?

I'm in Atlanta, and have no idea which teams are likely to advance weekend to weekend . . . have the tournaments even started?

Stay tuned.
Take it for what it's worth, but I love your tidbit.

Reactions: MikeHoncho69

I'm in Atlanta, and have no idea which teams are likely to advance weekend to weekend . . . have the tournaments even started?
Sectionals (first round) begin next Tuesday/Wednesday. The state tournament runs through the third week of March. Silver Creek is currently the top-ranked team in class 3A, and is a favorite to be a repeat state title winner.

Start next week.

Stay tuned.

What do you guys think of Kaufman......to me he looks smallish and not all that quick or athletic.....I see him listed as 6'7" or 6'8"....looks more like 6'7". For the people who really like him, what do you see as his strengths, and do you think he's 6'7" or 6'8"?

What do you guys think of Kaufman......to me he looks smallish and not all that quick or athletic.....I see him listed as 6'7" or 6'8"....looks more like 6'7". For the people who really like him, what do you see as his strengths, and do you think he's 6'7" or 6'8"?
He's all of 6'8", and I can attest to that from having seen him play for Silver Creek this season. He has excellent footwork for a big, he's quick for 6'8" and is a very skilled passer. He tends to bully his way to the rim against weaker/smaller competition, so an adjustment to the Big Ten is likely. I'd compare it to Jackson-Davis' adjustment this season.

Sectionals (first round) begin next Tuesday/Wednesday. The state tournament runs through the third week of March. Silver Creek is currently the top-ranked team in class 3A, and is a favorite to be a repeat state title winner.
Well, speaking just for myself, I can wait as long as it takes for Mr. Kauffman to pursue his dreams this season. I'll be happy to trade the next 4 weeks for a 4 year commitment . . . .

He's all of 6'8", and I can attest to that from having seen him play for Silver Creek this season. He has excellent footwork for a big, he's quick for 6'8" and is a very skilled passer. He tends to bully his way to the rim against weaker/smaller competition, so an adjustment to the Big Ten is likely. I'd compare it to Jackson-Davis' adjustment this season.

thanks...good to hear from people that have seen him....seems like Purdue really wants him also

Reactions: kkott
I recall Silver Creek back in the day of one-class basketball when they had an all-Green front line - RT Green, his brother Steve Green (IU starter in 74-75) and another guy named Green who went by initials and who was not related to the other two guys. They were a force even without class ball . . . .

thanks...good to hear from people that have seen him....seems like Purdue really wants him also
Purdue won't get him. Matt Painter already has the following bigs who will be on the Boilers' roster in two years:

- Trevion Williams
- Emmanuel Dowuona
- Mason Gillis
- Zach Edey

Today these kids have "college height", which is rarely accurate. For some reason the NBA has decided they are going with actual height. So IU may get a 6'8/6'9 PF but the NBA may get a 6'7/6'8 player without a true position.

Today these kids have "college height", which is rarely accurate. For some reason the NBA has decided they are going with actual height. So IU may get a 6'8/6'9 PF but the NBA may get a 6'7/6'8 player without a true position.
It’s usually a matter of whether they’re measured in shoes or not.

He reminds me of a shorter Jeffries. Same kind of skill set just shorter. I also see a bit of Morgan.
Yeah, but can he shoot the mid-range jumper?

We've seen a number of guys who are 6'8' or so who see the floor . . . but not many can shoot the ball reliably. Steve Green was from Silver Creek, and brought what 6'8" guys bring - interior defense, in the paint offense, rebounding - but the reason he was a great player was because he could shoot the ball reliably from mid-range . . . IIRC, in his senior year he was as good of a mid-range shooter as Scott May was in his junior year, maybe better . . .

. . . would love to see Trey bring big man mid-range shooting back to IU . . . .

We've seen a number of guys who are 6'8' or so who see the floor . . . but not many can shoot the ball reliably. Steve Green was from Silver Creek, and brought what 6'8" guys bring - interior defense, in the paint offense, rebounding - but the reason he was a great player was because he could shoot the ball reliably from mid-range . . . IIRC, in his senior year he was as good of a mid-range shooter as Scott May was in his junior year, maybe better . . .

. . . would love to see Trey bring big man mid-range shooting back to IU . . . .
The three point line has taken the mid range shot and relegated it to the back burner of most offenses.

The three point line has taken the mid range shot and relegated it to the back burner of most offenses.
I get that, and the statistical advantage of the 3 - you only need to shoot 33% to yield a 50% 2-point equivalent - is a strong argument in favor of that.

But if the defense is giving you 12 foot baseline jumpers, hitting 50% of those would yield a 33% 3 point shot equivalent . . . and may open up more opportunities from the 3 point line since the defense would have to move to guard quality mid-range jump shots.

I just don't see a downside in having a mid-range shot in the quiver . . . .

I get that, and the statistical advantage of the 3 - you only need to shoot 33% to yield a 50% 2-point equivalent - is a strong argument in favor of that.

But if the defense is giving you 12 foot baseline jumpers, hitting 50% of those would yield a 33% 3 point shot equivalent . . . and may open up more opportunities from the 3 point line since the defense would have to move to guard quality mid-range jump shots.

There’s no downside, it’s just not valued any more. SG was great at it, as were Woodson and Brian Evans. Today’s offenses just march to a different beat.

I agree, especially if you're not a good 3 pt shooting team, but analytics tells them a mid to long range 2 pt shot is the worst statistical one there is, which is one of the reasons it's disappearing.

He's a better outside shooter than TJD. I really like Kaufman a lot.

Kaufman is a very good outside shooter. I've seen perhaps six of his games online.

I grew up in sellers burg... played at Silver Creek and was a freshman when Steve Green was a senior. He was a VERY good high school player and always had the mid range jumper, even in high school.

I've been up there and have seen Trey play. He is all of 6-8 thats for sure. His lower body is college ready IMHO. Needs a little more strength upstairs. Has a great all around game right now...no real weaknesses and nowhere to go but up. On top of that is from a fantastic family, ranked #1 in his class and is a great kid. In asking folks around town I didn't get that much positive vibe on IU. Hope I'm wrong... heard lots of U/L stuff.

I grew up in sellers burg... played at Silver Creek and was a freshman when Steve Green was a senior. He was a VERY good high school player and always had the mid range jumper, even in high school.

I've been up there and have seen Trey play. He is all of 6-8 thats for sure. His lower body is college ready IMHO. Needs a little more strength upstairs. Has a great all around game right now...no real weaknesses and nowhere to go but up. On top of that is from a fantastic family, ranked #1 in his class and is a great kid. In asking folks around town I didn't get that much positive vibe on IU. Hope I'm wrong... heard lots of U/L stuff.
I can tell you it would be a major shift for Trey and/or his family for him to swing to UL. As of now, he's full steam ahead for IU.

We've seen TJD come out a little. He hit 15 ft or so shot against Penn State the last game. His bread and butter is down low though and he knows it. I actually like him getting the ball there and feel good about our chances when he does.

You like when our best player gets the ball where he's most comfortable and capable of scoring? Earth-shattering strategy there!

How did you feel about Shaq dunking?

I agree, especially if you're not a good 3 pt shooting team, but analytics tells them a mid to long range 2 pt shot is the worst statistical one there is, which is one of the reasons it's disappearing.
This is spot-on. The modern game -- particularly in the NBA -- is based on floor spacing with strong three-point shooters to allow driving lanes and kick-outs. The mid-range jumper has gone the way of the dinosaur. There's a reason it's called a lost art.

I can tell you it would be a major shift for Trey and/or his family for him to swing to UL. As of now, he's full steam ahead for IU.[/QUOTE
I have no reliable info on his destination. I do know the family...played in high school with his grandfather. I'm not close with them now so know nothing in particular. I sincerely hope u are right because Trey will only get better and would be a great addition to IU.

We've seen TJD come out a little. He hit 15 ft or so shot against Penn State the last game. His bread and butter is down low though and he knows it. I actually like him getting the ball there and feel good about our chances when he does.

And as far as TJD coming out, I don't think it's been willingly, at least as far as shooting. I think it's primarily been when the shot clock is winding down. He often gets it swinging around the perimeter. I hate when anyone catches the ball within any reasonable shooting range and doesn't regularly at least face and look at the basket, hopefully throwing in a shot fake now and then. Other teams are prepping for him to score and I think they'd go for a fake if he'd sell it more.

And as far as TJD coming out, I don't think it's been willingly, at least as far as shooting. I think it's primarily been when the shot clock is winding down. He often gets it swinging around the perimeter. I hate when anyone catches the ball within any reasonable shooting range and doesn't regularly at least face and look at the basket, hopefully throwing in a shot fake now and then. Other teams are prepping for him to score and I think they'd go for a fake if he'd sell it more.
I thought this the other day that the head fake seems to not be done as much. I bet a lot of these current defenders would chomp on it like you say.

I thought this the other day that the head fake seems to not be done as much. I bet a lot of these current defenders would chomp on it like you say.

With all the attention he gets, he needs to take every opportunity to try and get himself scoring opps. That's another one that might get him another 1-2 a game and get him a bucket or to the line. He's got to recognize he's our Garza and play like it. And, the other guys need to recognize it too!

Reactions: travlinhoosier

They were state champs last season, so I suspect they anticipate another deep tournament run

With all the attention he gets, he needs to take every opportunity to try and get himself scoring opps. That's another one that might get him another 1-2 a game and get him a bucket or to the line. He's got to recognize he's our Garza and play like it. And, the other guys need to recognize it too!
I think his future is as a more skilled version of his dad. Big, athletic and will to bang inside but more accomplished in terms of passing and shooting (to the 12-15 foot range). He’ll need to keep bulking up to get there, but that’s the ground he’s likely to occupy and the principal reason that NBA scouts don’t currently value him as they might down the road.

I think his future is as a more skilled version of his dad. Big, athletic and will to bang inside but more accomplished in terms of passing and shooting (to the 12-15 foot range). He’ll need to keep bulking up to get there, but that’s the ground he’s likely to occupy and the principal reason that NBA scouts don’t currently value him as they might down the road.

Yeah, but I'd say much more skilled. I never really wanted Dale to have the ball, except on the receiving end of a drive and dish, or off an offensive board. Whereas with TJD, I love to have the ball in the post and wish he'd even shot fake from 15' and see if he can get a bite, and take that 1 dribble for a slam, layup or foul. Dale was a lot more rugged, and much less skilled. TJD's on a whole different level offensively, and a slightly lesser one defensively and on the glass. It sure has seemed to me that his Dad (or someone) must've worked with him, as he's so sound and comfortable with the ball and rebounding. Most bigs are a little sloppy with the ball in the post, because they were used to being bigger and more talented than opponents in HS. Reminds me of Alan Henderson in that regard. I wish he'd push his game out a little more offensively as Henderson could.

Stay tuned.
Connected guy on another site is saying the same thing. Though ive been told by some on here he is full of it before so take it however you want I guess.

Trayce's bread and butter is two-fold -- his back-to-the-basket game and his face-up game when he has a chance to drive baseline or toward the bucket from ten feet.

If he could add a reliable jumper, he'd be a first-rounder.

Stay tuned.
I have heard that Kauffman and Lander don’t get along. So don’t expect Kauffman to go to IU. Hope your info is correct though

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT