ADVERTISEMENT

Trey Galloway to IU

I don’t see it. I have seen him play and he screams role player. He isn’t better than Franklin
Then why is he in the mix for Indiana Mr. Basketball in his senior year? Remember, he has one more year to get even better.

Then why is he in the mix for Indiana Mr. Basketball in his senior year? Remember, he has one more year to get even better.
He is in the mix because it’s an average year for talent in Indiana and he was on a state championship team last year. He averaged 16pts and 6 rebs and shot 27% from 3 and 58% from ft line

Always felt like this was the type of player CMP and Purdue would get that just tormented IU. Clearly the type of player IU has been needing culture wise for a few years now.

Reactions: Klaus 7196
Reactions: travlinhoosier
In support of some of the more hardcore fans eg prankster and iugradmannetc: You have to admit that getting Galloway is not like landing calbert, Buckner, Alford, Langford etc etc etc. You have to have the horses in college basketball to really compete. Eg look at Sean Miller.

The problem is that since Iu can’t land ANY immediate impact players people have come out of the wood work with the “get old stay old” philosophy. That’s not Sean millers philosophy who Archie emphatically mentioned (Sean laid a pattern that he Archie would follow) in his acceptance speech. Why flip the script now?

Iu fans are getting excited over an at best 4 year role player. Peegs even said at one time about 4 months ago he wasn’t sure that Leal or Galloway would even get an offer! Now people are super excited he committed.

That means the options are extremely limited for Iu. The program is so far down it’s exciting for some to land a role player. It’s totally ridiculous and sad. If you think for one freaking second this is how Iu returns to greatness your sadly mistaken.

Some on here just get excited over mediocrity. Sue me for not getting to excited. Maybe next year Iu fans won’t have to explain away the worst January basketball in the history of the program.

In support of some of the more hardcore fans eg prankster and iugradmannetc: You have to admit that getting Galloway is not like landing calbert, Buckner, Alford, Langford etc etc etc. You have to have the horses in college basketball to really compete. Eg look at Sean Miller.

The problem is that since Iu can’t land ANY immediate impact players people have come out of the wood work with the “get old stay old” philosophy. That’s not Sean millers philosophy who Archie emphatically mentioned (Sean laid a pattern that he Archie would follow) in his acceptance speech. Why flip the script now?

Iu fans are getting excited over an at best 4 year role player. Peegs even said at one time about 4 months ago he wasn’t sure that Leal or Galloway would even get an offer! Now people are super excited he committed.

That means the options are extremely limited for Iu. The program is so far down it’s exciting for some to land a role player. It’s totally ridiculous and sad. If you think for one freaking second this is how Iu returns to greatness your sadly mistaken.

Some on here just get excited over mediocrity. Sue me for not getting to excited. Maybe next year Iu fans won’t have to explain away the worst January basketball in the history of the program.
Was AJ Moye a role player or a star? He wasn't a star, but haven't we wanted a player like him since he left? Galloway may not be the next Moye but he is the type of player we need.

We will have up to 4 spots to fill. Galloway is a good first 2020 recruit.

You don’t have to get excited for getting the kid but don’t pretend like the enthusiasm is a symptom of lower standards. Lol. You must not pay attention to the NFL draft. We got the first guy in the class, he’s an IN kid, he can do some things —- so why not let the tribe party for a few nights?

Not sure what you mean by the limited options either. Archie hadn’t done much winning when he landed Romeo and TJD. It’s looking he’ll get some good players. Beat expectations this year and the top guys will come in bigger bunches.

The worst January EVAR was bad. Not sure how related they are but Creaner had one of worst Februarys EVAR his last year with a more talented team. Weird voodoo, man!

Reactions: GregHaggard

Sad...but true

Sad...but true

It’s not true. It’s an opinion formed by somebody who hasn’t seen Trey Galloway play simply reacting to a recruiting ranking that in all honesty is about to change in the next few weeks. Galloway is going to be a consensus 4* player who is a fringe top 100 recruit.

You can’t have 13 star scholarship players every year. Galloway at minimum will be a 2 year starter for IU and a guy who in 4 years will have most IU fans saying, “I wish all our players played like Trey”.

Well to nitpick Feepaw would have already labeled Calbert as a guy who won't make any impact because he's unranked and our only competition was Evansville. However that kid from Peoria is a high four star Chris Reynolds is exactly the kind of recruit that we should be bringing in.

Alford actually wasn't crazy high either. Probably around a top 50, top 75 recruit. Didn't make the McDonald's team (Darryl Thomas was the only one from Alford's class that did) and James Blackmon was the big stud recruit of 83 who went to Kentucky (and probably lost the Mr. Basketball title by doing so).

So yeah, Galloway is a mixture of a recruit between Alford and Calbert I guess.

My question is how do you know who is an impact player? The problem these days are the five star studs don't stick around and all you get them is for their freshman year. I think we've seen that they aren't the answer unless you get a boatload of them...and even then the game has still been dominated by older teams despite all the marketing buzz that one and dones generate.

So take Buckner, May and Benson off the 76 team because they would have left. Isaiah probably leaves after his freshman year. 87 still happens. Henderson is definitely gone early. Maybe even Calbert.

There lies the game. You need kids who are talented enough to be great college players but not so good that they leave after a pit stop year.

Bottom line, four stars who become upperclassmen tend to make up your all conference teams/all American teams. If we end up with rosters made up of experienced four star recruits...we're going to be damn good.

He is in the mix because it’s an average year for talent in Indiana and he was on a state championship team last year. He averaged 16pts and 6 rebs and shot 27% from 3 and 58% from ft line

That’s not real good. I thought he was a better shooter. What were Leal numbers?

Trey is the type of player that I am looking forward to being part of IU's program. A kid who appears that can do a bit of everything. I think recruits, that come from winning backgrounds, team players form a good nucleolus that will lead to more long-term success.

By all accounts, this kid is a solid player who will add stability to the program during his four year stay. At this point, I think that’s a positive recruiting result given the evolving standards of the program.

Apparently he played most of the year with a fractured wrist. As far as the free throws, he and his father coach have been working on them, and during the summer ball averaged 70%. What I’m saying is, give him that year that he has yet to play in high school and hope for the best.

I don’t see it. I have seen him play and he screams role player. He isn’t better than Franklin

But here's the thing. Smart and tough, AND he will be around for 4 years. "studs" play well as freshmen and sophs and then leave. Guys like this contribute as freshmen and sophs and then are studs as upperclassmen. This guy has the intangibles it seems IU has been sorely lacking on the court. I think he's a good, solid pick up.

Reactions: kkott
Not when you have a fractured wrist on your shooting hand. He shot 38% as a freshman and 36% as a sophomore. He clearly was impacted by his wrist injury.

Never said he wasn’t impacted by it. Is the information for high school wrist injury shooting on kenpom;)?

Last edited:
I have actually seen him play on multiple occasions. First and foremost he is a coaches son and plays like one. Smart player with good length. Above average defender and seems to always make the right plays. Never panics and is a better shooter then you think.. He will be a asset to IU for years to come.. Having time to heal he should see a nice uptick in shooting percentage this year..

Never said he wasn’t impacted by it. Is the information for high school wrist injury shooting on kenpom;)?

Nice edit. Wasn’t clever.

Stats for all 3 high school years

https://www.maxpreps.com/m/athlete/trey-galloway/9Dx4drCIEeaAdqA2nzwY6g/basketball/stats.htm

https://usatodayhss.com/2019/trey-galloway-turned-into-a-top-indiana-basketball-prospect/amp

“(The wrist) was something I struggled with for sure,” Galloway said. “Early on in January I couldn’t shoot the ball without a lot of pain. But toward the end of February and early March, it was healed.”

Reactions: Sassy61
Nice edit. Wasn’t clever.

Stats for all 3 high school years

https://www.maxpreps.com/m/athlete/trey-galloway/9Dx4drCIEeaAdqA2nzwY6g/basketball/stats.htm

https://usatodayhss.com/2019/trey-galloway-turned-into-a-top-indiana-basketball-prospect/amp

“(The wrist) was something I struggled with for sure,” Galloway said. “Early on in January I couldn’t shoot the ball without a lot of pain. But toward the end of February and early March, it was healed.”

Someone posted he shot 27% and I said it wasn’t good. You posted he was hurt and showed he shot better when he was healthy. I said it was good news( I’m paraphrasing to save time). I am not disagreeing and never disagreed with you on the topic. You really are a weirdo.

Someone posted he shot 27% and I said it wasn’t good. You posted he was hurt and showed he shot better when he was healthy. I said it was good news( I’m paraphrasing to save time). I am not disagreeing and never disagreed with you on the topic. You really are a weirdo.

No. You said 27% was pathetic not knowing the circumstances involved. It’s like saying someone running a 20 minute mile is pathetic only to find out the person running a 20 minute mile was a double amputee. You want to nit pick or discredit anything possible because you don’t have it in your heart to want or believe Archie can’t succeed. You fool no one.

No. You said 27% was pathetic not knowing the circumstances involved. It’s like saying someone running a 20 minute mile is pathetic only to find out the person running a 20 minute mile was a double amputee. You want to nit pick or discredit anything possible because you don’t have it in your heart to want or believe Archie can’t succeed. You fool no one.

I said shooting 27% was pathetic after knowing the circumstances, because shooting 27% in high school is pathetic. Are you purposely disingenuous or just struggle with reading comprehension? I think the truth is you just want to argue.

Is wrong to correct dishonest or egregious statements being said about Galloway?
When it’s with your own opinions yes. If you think he is a stud you are entitled to that opinion but you don’t need to correct or defend him whenever someone brings up his shooting challenges. I hope he comes in and has a Coverdale type career.

You seemed emotionally invested when speaking of this recruit and come to his defense every time something is brought up about him.

I agree. He went on a rant talking about amputees because I said shooting 27% wasn’t good. It was weird.

I do appreciate your posts on recruits. I don’t follow recruiting and you’re very fair and objective when it comes to recruits. Thanks.

When it’s with your own opinions yes. If you think he is a stud you are entitled to that opinion but you don’t need to correct or defend him whenever someone brings up his shooting challenges. I hope he comes in and has a Coverdale type career.

There’s nothing wrong with his shooting other than his percentage dipped last year due to a wrist injury. He shot 43% this summer from 3, 60+% from the field and was a career 37% 3 point shooter in high school prior to his wrist injury. Saying he can’t shoot is dishonest and egregious. That’s why I continue to call you out on the subject.

I agree. He went on a rant talking about amputees because I said shooting 27% wasn’t good. It was weird.

I do appreciate your posts on recruits. I don’t follow recruiting and you’re very fair and objective when it comes to recruits. Thanks.

He’s not fair or objective. He’s stated he’s only seen Trey Galloway play one time and that was last year in the state game and simply “wasn’t impressed”. That’s not fair or objective, especially when you cite shooting 27% with an injured wrist which is obviously an outlier given the numbers he’s put up when healthy.

There’s nothing wrong with his shooting other than his percentage dipped last year due to a wrist injury. He shot 43% this summer from 3, 60+% from the field and was a career 37% 3 point shooter in high school prior to his wrist injury. Saying he can’t shoot is dishonest and egregious. That’s why I continue to call you out on the subject.
Yet every analyst and AAU coach talk about his lack of shooting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT