ADVERTISEMENT

Trey Galloway to IU

He’s not fair or objective. He’s stated he’s only seen Trey Galloway play one time and that was last year in the state game and simply “wasn’t impressed”. That’s not fair or objective, especially when you cite shooting 27% with an injured wrist which is obviously an outlier given the numbers he’s put up when healthy.
He hasn’t put up great numbers ever..

He hasn’t put up great numbers ever..

He’s also played with multiple other D1 level players on his high school team. He doesn’t need to score 40 points a game for Culver to be good. He was easily the best player on Indiana Elite this year and that includes a top 100 player in this class and a 5* recruit in the 2021 class.

Nobody has ever touted Galloway as a Bailey or Alford type shooter so if you’re putting him on that pedestal you’ve already set yourself up for failure. But he’s more than an adequate shooter especially with his feet are set and can score in a variety of ways, all while being extremely efficient. He has intangibles that don’t show up in recruiting rankings (toughness, basketball IQ, leadership) that IU has desperately needed these last two years. The kind of people who are “meh” about his commitment

A) have never seen him play
B) don’t understand basic roster construction
C) take recruiting rankings as gospel

Last edited:
He’s also played with multiple other D1 level players on high school team. He doesn’t need to score 40 points a game for Culver to be good. He was easily the best player on Indiana Elite this year and that includes a top 100 player in this class and a 5* recruit in the 2021 class.

Nobody has ever touted Galloway as Bailey or Alford type shooter so if you’re putting him on that pedestal you’ve already set yourself up for failure. But he’s more than an adequate shooter especially with his feet are set and can score in a variety of ways, all while being extremely efficient. He has intangibles that don’t show up in recruiting rankings (toughness, basketball IQ, leadership) that IU has desperately needed these last two years. The kind of people who are “meh” about his commitment

A) have never seen him play
B) don’t understand basic roster construction
C) take recruiting rankings as gospel
So can you admit you have a connection please. Because it is clearly evident.
Me personally I am fine taking him but we need to surround him with some higher caliber talent.

So can you admit you have a connection please. Because it is clearly evident.
Me personally I am fine taking him but we need to surround him with some higher caliber talent.

I have ZERO connection to Galloway other than the fact he just committed to the college program I root for. Me being objective and able to look past his recruiting ranking (something you can’t) doesn’t mean I have a direct connection or affiliation towards him. Please, come up with a better argument. You’ve seen Galloway play one time and because he isn’t a top 50 player he’s not good enough to move the needle. That’s undoubtedly your beef with him.

He’s not fair or objective. He’s stated he’s only seen Trey Galloway play one time and that was last year in the state game and simply “wasn’t impressed”. That’s not fair or objective, especially when you cite shooting 27% with an injured wrist which is obviously an outlier given the numbers he’s put up when healthy.

Smitty has been posting on here for years. I’m going to go with his opinion and the recruiting services over a random poster who has been on here for a couple of months, who also makes predictions that Green is going to average 14-15 points next year.

I have ZERO connection to Galloway other than the fact he just committed to the college program I root for. Me being objective and able to look past his recruiting ranking (something you can’t) doesn’t mean I have a direct connection or affiliation towards him. Please, come up with a better argument. You’ve seen Galloway play one time and because he isn’t a top 50 player he’s not good enough to move the needle. That’s undoubtedly your beef with him.
How many times have you seen him play? Also I have some AAU buddies who say same thing about Galloway. Solid role type kid, glue guy.

How many times have you seen him play? Also I have some AAU buddies who say same thing about Galloway. Solid role type kid, glue guy.

Seen him play at least 5 or 6 times in person this summer alone. Saw him at Warren a couple times for the first Adidas tournament and watched him every game at the Run N Slam up in Fort Wayne at the end of May. Not to mention both state games they’ve played in the last two years and their game against Cathedral last year. That solid role type, glue kid will be a multi-year starter and team captain. Bet on it.

Smitty has been posting on here for years. I’m going to go with his opinion and the recruiting services over a random poster who has been on here for a couple of months, who also makes predictions that Green is going to average 14-15 points next year.

Ya the opinion of someone who has seen him play one time and the same recruiting services who have all said he’s severely underrated and will shoot up in the rankings when the summer evaluations are over.

Seen him play at least 5 or 6 times in person this summer alone. Saw him at Warren a couple times for the first Adidas tournament and watched him every game at the Run N Slam up in Fort Wayne at the end of May. Not to mention both state games they’ve played in the last two years and their game against Cathedral last year. That solid role type, glue kid will be a multi-year starter and team captain. Bet on it.

You guys might actually be in agreement. Zach McRoberts was a multi-year starter who was a team captain.

Reactions: bsmitty08
I think he’ll have a career very similar to Dakota Mathias. All-defensive team as an upperclassmen that May receive honorable-mention consideration. Again, not all 13 scholarship players are going to average 20 ppg and play in the NBA.
Which proves my point when I say we need to add some studs to surround the role player with.

Reactions: snarlcakes
I think he’ll have a career very similar to Dakota Mathias. All-defensive team as an upperclassmen that May receive honorable-mention consideration. Again, not all 13 scholarship players are going to average 20 ppg and play in the NBA.

I doubt you and Smitty are that far apart then. Not sure why you think he was being dishonest.

Which proves my point when I say we need to add some studs to surround the role player with.

DID I EVER SAY WE DIDN’T??? But someone like Dakota Mathias (in this case Trey Galloway) is a winning player that every team needs. If you don’t understand that then I can’t help you. He’s taking one out of the four available scholarship. You really think IU was planning on Trey Galloway and calling it a day? Please shut up and stop posting. You’re embarrassing yourself.

Reactions: Courtsensethree
I doubt you and Smitty are that far apart then. Not sure why you think he was being dishonest.

I don’t know, maybe due to the fact that’s he said Trey Galloway wasn’t impressive and IU didn’t need him? He’s had this stance since the day Galloway was offered.

DID I EVER SAY WE DIDN’T??? But someone like Dakota Mathias (in this case Trey Galloway) is a winning player that every team needs. If you don’t understand that then I can’t help you. He’s taking one out of the four available scholarship. You really think IU was planning on Trey Galloway and calling it a day? Please shut up and stop posting. You’re embarrassing yourself.
Emotionally invested...again,
The Mathias comparison isn’t that strong. Mathias was a scorer and shooter coming out of high school.

Emotionally invested...again,
The Mathias comparison isn’t that strong. Mathias was a scorer and shooter coming out of high school.

And became a 2x All-B10 defensive team member. Mathias wasn’t known for any of those things as he played small class basketball in Ohio and was offered by a bunch of low majors and Purdue late. Mathias shot 30% from 3 as a freshman.

I said coming in.

Scoring a bunch of points against lower level high school competition doesn’t equate to being a scorer at the collegiate level. If that were the case someone like Luke Brown would be a 5* prospect. You couldn’t be more oblivious to the fact if you tried. Culver had a senior all-star in Brittain-Watts and another in junior in Deontae Craig. Culver didn’t need Galloway to score 30 points a game for them to be good. Saying Galloway can’t or won’t have a career similar to Dakota comparing their high school stats is as comical as it gets. Galloway would average 20+ playing with and against competition that Mathias did.

Scoring a bunch of points against lower level high school competition doesn’t equate to being a scorer at the collegiate level. If that were the case someone like Luke Brown would be a 5* prospect. You couldn’t be more oblivious to the fact if you tried. Culver had a senior all-star in Brittain-Watts and another in junior in Deontae Craig. Culver didn’t need Galloway to score 30 points a game for them to be good. Saying Galloway can’t or won’t have a career similar to Dakota comparing their high school stats is as comical as it gets. Galloway would average 20+ playing with and against competition that Mathias did.
Omg dude, I’m saying Dakota coming in was known for scoring and shooting. I have said I’m fine with Galloway as 4-5th recruit in this class but if it’s a small class we need to land the big time player.

Lol....every team doesn’t need a Dakota Mathis to win. I know you post a lot on their board, but Purdue isn’t the standard either.

Omg dude, I’m saying Dakota coming in was known for scoring and shooting. I have said I’m fine with Galloway as 4-5th recruit in this class but if it’s a small class we need to land the big time player.

And left Purdue known for his defense. Why? Because he’s a tough-nosed, high IQ player who totally bought in. A lot of the same qualities that Trey Galloway has and qualities that are a necessity for a winning culture.

And left Purdue known for his defense. Why? Because he’s a tough-nosed, high IQ player who totally bought in. A lot of the same qualities that Trey Galloway has and qualities that are a necessity for a winning culture.
More talent would be needed but yes those qualities are Important.

Purdue has consistently beaten IU the last 3-4 years because Matt Painter doesn’t chase stars and recruits tough-minded, high basketball IQ players that fit his system. What are you watching?

A little sensitive when it comes to Purdue;) I knew you were a Purdue Fan. I was just responding to your incorrect claim that teams need a Dakota Mathis to win. That’s untrue and Purdue didn’t win a national title with him. They were actually a better team after he left (and 3 other seniors) because Edwards (a star) carried them. Dakota Mathis’s are a dime a dozen. The difficult part is getting the Carsen Edwards.

A little sensitive when it comes to Purdue;) I knew you were a Purdue Fan. I was just responding to your incorrect claim that teams need a Dakota Mathis to win. That’s untrue and Purdue didn’t win a national title with him. They were actually a better after he left (and 3 other seniors) because Edwards (a star) carried them. Dakota Mathis’s are a dime a dozen. The difficult part is getting the Carsen Edwards.

You would have dismissed Carsen Edwards just as you did Galloway because he was ranked outside the top 100. In fact 6/10 consensus first and second team all-american’s last year were ranked outside the top 100 and only 2/10 were 5*. You don’t have any kind of knowledge or understanding of the game and rely on recruiting rankings from guys who haven’t played a day in their life.

High volume 47% three point shooters who have the ability to facilitate and end up on all conference defensive teams are a dime a dozen?

Then we should have a dozen. Where the fk are they?

There was a dozen better players than him his senior year in the Big Ten, alone, according to the coaches. Feel free to go back read through the list. If we're being honest, he was the 4th best player on his own team.

Last edited:
You would have dismissed Carsen Edwards just as you did Galloway because he was ranked outside the top 100. In fact 6/10 consensus first and second team all-american’s last year were ranked outside the top 100 and only 2/10 were 5*. You don’t have any kind of knowledge or understanding of the game and rely on recruiting rankings from guys who haven’t played a day in their life.
So why are the teams that recruit the best also the teams who have the most success?

He’s clearly a dumbass and not worth the time anymore.

You made the idiotic statement that teams need a Dakota Mathis to win. Not me. I just pointed out how stupid the statement was and that Purdue sucks (technically, I said they weren't the standard). Sorry that hurt your feelings Purdue Pete.

So why are the teams that recruit the best also the teams who have the most success?

Virginia, Villanova, etc don’t recruit the best. They recruit system guys who are there 3-4 years. Virginia’s best player last year was barely a top 100 recruit who had to redshirt as a freshman. Jarrett Culver who was a second team AA was ranked in the 300s. In fact, not a single starter for Texas Tech was a top 100 recruit and they only had one starter who was ranked higher than 200.

You made the idiotic statement that teams need a Dakota Mathis to win. Not me. I just pointed out how stupid the statement was and that Purdue sucks. Sorry that hurt your feelings Purdue Pete.

Yeah so I’m a Purdue fan now. Try and come up with a better argument when somebody disagrees with you. Such a chode.

Virginia, Villanova, etc don’t recruit the best. They recruit system guys who are there 3-4 years. Virginia’s best player last year was barely a top 100 recruit who had to redshirt as a freshman. Jarrett Culver who was a second team AA was ranked in the 300s. In fact, not a single starter for Texas Tech was a top 100 recruit and they only had one starter who was ranked higher than 200.
Typically duke, Kansas, U.K., North Carolina, MSU, are the top teir...yes outliners occur. Also Kyke guy for Virginia was border line 5 star

Yeah so I’m a Purdue fan now. Try and come up with a better argument when somebody disagrees with you. Such a chode.

Why does an IU fan post 100s of times on a Purdue board? Are you trolling them? Is your life really that pathetic you have time for that? Or are you a Purdue fan?

Reactions: Moops
Why does an IU fan post 100s of times on a Purdue board? Are you trolling them? Is your life really that pathetic you have time for that? Or are you a Purdue fan?

Is your life that pathetic that you have to troll and count the number of posts I make? As if it is of any concern to you. Look in the mirror.

Reactions: Hallrj3
Typically duke, Kansas, U.K., North Carolina, MSU, are the top teir...yes outliners occur. Also Kyke guy for Virginia was border line 5 star

Virginia and Nova have easily been the best two teams in college basketball the last 4-5 years. None of those teams have come close to averaging an aggregate top 25 recruiting class in that time frame. Try again.

Hunter was ranked 60th on rivals. Ty Jerome was 53rd and Kyle Guy was 41st. It was a top 10 class.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT