ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Bennett fits the IU mold

Do you really think he will come after this year if we have a change. We all would like to see a change but I think some will be disappointed on who be interested in the job.
I don't think anything, except....you make the offer count like no offer before. Can we afford to pay CTC what he is earning? Not in terms of dollars, obviously that is happening...But can IU afford to pay a Top 10 salary with extraordinary perks (recruiting expense account) and accept the status quo? Does the return on investment reach a point of diminishing returns? Where is that point?

I don't think anything, except....you make the offer count like no offer before. Can we afford to pay CTC what he is earning? Not in terms of dollars, obviously that is happening...But can IU afford to pay a Top 10 salary with extraordinary perks (recruiting expense account) and accept the status quo? Does the return on investment reach a point of diminishing returns? Where is that point?
Of course you would make the offer to the top coaches but that does not guarantee they will accept.

Of course you would make the offer to the top coaches but that does not guarantee they will accept.

I don't understand your concern. You never know who will accept an offer until you actually have an offer on the table.

I don't understand your concern. You never know who will accept an offer until you actually have an offer on the table.
I said you make the offer but I just don't think the top candidates will leave there job for IU. I think it might be a lot like when Texas football hire Charlie Strong which was like their 4th choice.

Do you really think he will come after this year if we have a change. We all would like to see a change but I think some will be disappointed on who be interested in the job.

Fan base ✔
Facilities ✔
History ✔
Now just have to be willing to write one..
In the end its all about the benjamins..

Scott you just keep under selling us...

Fan base ✔
Facilities ✔
History ✔
Now just have to be willing to write one..
In the end its all about the benjamins..

Scott you just keep under selling us...
Thing is a lot of programs have those same things and have less pressure from their fan base. Take S. Miller he has a great fan base and Arizona has won big the last 30 years so why would he leave.

Thing is a lot of programs have those same things and have less pressure from their fan base. Take S. Miller he has a great fan base and Arizona has won big the last 30 years so why would he leave.
They don't have the history or the recruiting base

This is where I disagree with some people because I think some will be disappointed who would be interested if we have an opening. My top two choices would be Marshall and Stevens and I doubt either two will come. The next tier for me would be Bennett, S. Miller and Chris Mack and after that there are not to many out there would be a huge upgrade over what we already have. When you are talking homerun who are you talking about besides Stevens because we will not be getting Cal(thank god). coach K, Pitino or Self so who out there would be a home run
You could get Marshall, but you would probably have to pay him $5M since he's already making $3.3M. I think you could get Mack for $3.5M or so, and he is already recruiting the heck out of Indy.

This is such a dumb argument. The best jobs have the most pressure, and the coaches that will succeed at those jobs embrace it rather than run from it. And you're also overselling the rabidity of our fan base, we put up with 9 years of Tom Crean, how cut throat are our expectations really?

Last edited:
Reactions: IUHoosiers1999
This is such a dumb argument. The best jobs have the most pressure, and the coaches will succeed at those jobs embrace it rather than run from it. And you're also overselling the rabidity of our fan base, we put up with 9 years of Tom Crean, how cut throat are our expectations really?
I think it is more like the administration has been patient and not the fan base. If it was up to the fan base most would wanted him gone after losing to Syracuse. I remember a few fans even wanted him gone after year 3.

Pressure? Look at what IU fans have been through since RMK was fired? Which coach was not supported by the fan base beyond their expiration date? Dissatisfaction? Of course. But by and large, IU fans support IU, first and foremost. That has applied to every coach since RMK....even Sampson. I would argue that the expectations for the head coach at IU are not as high as many would think....given the salary and budget Crean enjoys. The expectations drive the pressure...and I am not seeing it. This season is not unlike prior seasons....so if the results are similiar...NCAA invite and early out...what happens to Crean?

Pressure? Look at what IU fans have been through since RMK was fired? Which coach was not supported by the fan base beyond their expiration date? Dissatisfaction? Of course. But by and large, IU fans support IU, first and foremost. That has applied to every coach since RMK....even Sampson. I would argue that the expectations for the head coach at IU are not as high as many would think....given the salary and budget Crean enjoys. The expectations drive the pressure...and I am not seeing it. This season is not unlike prior seasons....so if the results are similiar...NCAA invite and early out...what happens to Crean?
I don't see a change after this year unless we totally have a melt down

there's an old addage....."There's comfort in the familiar". We are eight years familiar with Crean and his level of success. I don't see the discomfort in places where it should exist if this guy were on the hot seat. I see expectations hovering somewhere around one tournament game win...and all is good.

What is your definition of a total meltdown? Not finishing top 3 in conference and a first weekend exit is a total letdown with this team.

His seat will be glowing red with a loss tonight.

Reactions: hondo314
I think it is more like the administration has been patient and not the fan base. If it was up to the fan base most would wanted him gone after losing to Syracuse. I remember a few fans even wanted him gone after year 3.
lot of water under the bridge six years removed from Syracuse. IU lost to IPFW, and lost its home opener against Nebraska. Those things should not be happening to this team.

I said you make the offer but I just don't think the top candidates will leave there job for IU. I think it might be a lot like when Texas football hire Charlie Strong which was like their 4th choice.

So what. I think it is splitting hairs trying to pick the coach who would do best from the list of Stevens, Donovan, Mack, Marshall, Miller. I'll take 4th guy on that 5 man list no matter which one you want to rank 4th. There are probably 5 other guys who do what is Crean is doing as a their floor.

So what if their top coaches, Saban and Mora, didn't want to go to Texas. Even as long shots they were asked. BTW, Strong was doing a great job at Louisville and wasn't a bad choice even if it didn't work out for him. He got his 3 years and they moved on. Their top choice this year wanted to come to Texas pretty badly and they wrapped him up quickly. Who knows, there might be an over the surprise name that would want to come to IU.

I think Marshall would come if he wants to achieve more than he has. I just don't know that he does. Wichita St. is a solid job and maybe they break through to win a title but I think he has pretty much reached the ceiling there with their unexpected Final 4 run and unbeaten regular season follow up. IMO, a title or even another Final 4 is a long shot for them. He showed some interest in Texas so it's not like he isn't listening.

So what. I think it is splitting hairs trying to pick the coach who would do best from the list of Stevens, Donovan, Mack, Marshall, Miller. I'll take 4th guy on that 5 man list no matter which one you want to rank 4th. There are probably 5 other guys who do what is Crean is doing as a their floor.

So what if their top coaches, Saban and Mora, didn't want to go to Texas. Even as long shots they were asked. BTW, Strong was doing a great job at Louisville and wasn't a bad choice even if it didn't work out for him. He got his 3 years and they moved on. Their top choice this year wanted to come to Texas pretty badly and they wrapped him up quickly. Who knows, there might be an over the surprise name that would want to come to IU.

I think Marshall would come if he wants to achieve more than he has. I just don't know that he does. Wichita St. is a solid job and maybe they break through to win a title but I think he has pretty much reached the ceiling there with their unexpected Final 4 run and unbeaten regular season follow up. IMO, a title or even another Final 4 is a long shot for them. He showed some interest in Texas so it's not like he isn't listening.
If you look at what Crean is paid...and what results have been acceptable for eight years....I would say, as a coach on the outside looking in....lots of flexibility and potential at Indiana. Pressure? I don't see it. IU's expectations are not equal to Kansas, UNC or Duke. Not even close. More like Texas, Illinois or Florida State....basketball...not football.

The way it treated Knight and Tony Bennet's sister is one small factor. If you offer 5 million or more, I don't think it matters.
Yeah because Knight was such an innocent bystander. As for Katie Bennett? Yeah shitty. But WTF does that have to do with the mens program?

Never said he was. Never implied he was. So no idea why you even say this.
You asked what K. Bennett has to do with the men's program and also why IU is not considered a prime job. I think IU is a prime job.

Then the next question is why would coach's reject a prime job. I offered how coaches are treated. Bennett and Knight are examples of treatment of coaches, which I said was a small factor.

The only reason she's ever mentioned is when Tony Bennett supposedly rejected the men's head coaching position last time and is thought to reject IU again if he's considered. How is this not related to men's basketball?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT