ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Bennett fits the IU mold

ndhuntington

Senior
Oct 6, 2009
Has took Virginia as far as he can back to back 30 win seasons two years ago preaches defense from the Midwest young played in the NBA. I know his sister was coach at iu and it did not end well but how could he pass up iu...

Has took Virginia as far as he can back to back 30 win seasons two years ago preaches defense from the Midwest young played in the NBA. I know his sister was coach at iu and it did not end well but how could he pass up iu...
He is not fond of IU and at this time Virginia is a better job than IU like it or not that is reality. The IU job is better than it was 8 years ago but not anywhere as good as it was before Sampson.....................

He is not fond of IU and at this time Virginia is a better job than IU like it or not that is reality. The IU job is better than it was 8 years ago but not anywhere as good as it was before Sampson.....................
Someone who finally gets it. This is not a prime job anymore. Tony Bennett is great if you want conference and Conference tourney championships. If you want final four and a NCAA championship it will not happen. Some say if he comes to IU he will get better players. Tony's system is not built for 5 Star players thats why they are rarely there.

Someone who finally gets it. This is not a prime job anymore. Tony Bennett is great if you want conference and Conference tourney championships. If you want final four and a NCAA championship it will not happen. Some say if he comes to IU he will get better players. Tony's system is not built for 5 Star players thats why they are rarely there.
While I would agree that Bennett would not leave UVA for IU, I laugh (again) at your characterization of a subject.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Tony Bennett turned us down the last time and we had to settle on Crean. Now he's at UVA instead of Wazzu, what makes anybody think he would leave a better job for an IU position he had no problem turning down before. From what I remember, he was still very sour on IU because of how his sister was treated here.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
isn't that exactly what we have now. conference titles no significant run in ncaa tourney. What your point? Tony Bennet would significantly improve i.u. on every front. But doubt that crean will go anywhere until his contract is not renewed and nothing makes me think it will not. Crean will leave I.U. before I.U. cut the strings. Thank you.

If you don't think Bennett would be a massive upgrade, then you can't be watching a lot of college basketball. He has transformed the UVA program. And he was looking to leave Virginia for the Wisconsin job.

UVA is not a better job than IU. That's crazy talk.
Who has more success since Sampson left you are living in the world of 2000 sorry but if coaching was my career I would take the Virginia job before IU. I firmly believe Crean was no where close to being IU's 1st choice 8 years ago and while it has got better not significantly...........

If you don't think Bennett would be a massive upgrade, then you can't be watching a lot of college basketball. He has transformed the UVA program. And he was looking to leave Virginia for the Wisconsin job.
Didnt say that Bennett would not be a upgrade. But if the goal is to win a NC its not very likely to happen. Dont look now but Bennett missed the NCAA in the last 5 years as well. And the ones on this board that complain about turnovers and defense, and rightfully so with CTC , will be the same that will complain when we struggle to break 60 points like VA has the last 2 games.

I wouldn't want to go from no defense and fast powerful offense (mostly), to the other extreme. Bennett is a fine coach it would seem, but I personally would not want IU basketball to turn into Bo Ryan's Wisconsin. I know that sounds crazy to some people. Successful, but ugly and rarely contending at the very top in a serious way.

Archie Millers teams have always been guard oriented. Struggle with post offense. Would not be a upgrade.

1. Dane Fife
  2. Randy Wittman
  3. Keith Smart
  4. Alford
  5. Pat Knight

Dane is just a home run. The others have connections to IU's glory days under RMK. It's either a grand slam home run like Bryce Drew or a return to our roots

1. Dane Fife
  2. Randy Wittman
  3. Keith Smart
  4. Alford
  5. Pat Knight
Dane is just a home run. The others have connections to IU's glory days under RMK. It's either a grand slam home run like Bryce Drew or a return to our roots

Reactions: goody1986
  1. Dane Fife
  2. Randy Wittman
  3. Keith Smart
  4. Alford
  5. Pat Knight
Please tell me you are kidding? No way this is a serious post. Dane ain't ready, Randy has never coached college, same with Smart, and we can do better than a guy who ignores rape.

As far as Pat Knight, everything he has is due to daddy. Never should have been a Big 10 scholarship player and nothing could lead a credible person to think he should be the next IU coach.

If IU wants a good coach, they should start with Chris Mack at Xavier.

Reactions: goody1986
Who has more success since Sampson left you are living in the world of 2000 sorry but if coaching was my career I would take the Virginia job before IU. I firmly believe Crean was no where close to being IU's 1st choice 8 years ago and while it has got better not significantly...........

Just because you make an ignorant statement doesn't make it so. You really love Crean.

He's got a good gig at UVA. I think he could say "no, thanks"... again.

We will find out who has interest in the job in March. I for one cannot wait. It's going to be the best ending of a season since 1987!

If it's not, as you say, a prime job anymore, Tom Crean's stewardship of the program has a great deal to do with that. IU needs a coach to restore what TC has stripped away.

We will find out who has interest in the job in March. I for one cannot wait. It's going to be the best ending of a season since 1987!

Wow, you equate having a collapsed season with winning a national championship just because your disdain of Coach Crean. I am hoping that we win every game from here on out. But if the season does continue through this path then Coach Crean does need to go. Having to go through another coaching search is not a positive for our program, because missing again will further damage our program and continue to delude our prestige. Sure there are can't miss candidates like Stevens and Donavon, but how likely are they to come to Indiana. So there will tremendous pressure to get it right or we will again wasted five to ten years to get it right. At this rate, I will be pushing sixty before we win another championship. The odds will not be in our favor of getting it right if the two mentioned before passes on us. I will even say Marshall would have good odds returning our prestige, but anyone else is just a pure gamble.

If it's not, as you say, a prime job anymore, Tom Crean's stewardship of the program has a great deal to do with that. IU needs a coach to restore what TC has stripped away.

Got it…Crean has underperformed as IU coach, but seriously, what was left to strip away after Sampson?

1. Dane Fife
  2. Randy Wittman
  3. Keith Smart
  4. Alford
  5. Pat Knight

As bad as it is, I would rather keep Crean. WTF did you drink on NYE?

Reactions: BCCHoosier
Got it…Crean has underperformed as IU coach, but seriously, what was left to strip away after Sampson?
Toughness. High basketball IQ. A commitment to defense. Being a team that other teams never wanted to play. A reputation in state that made it the dream school of every little kid who played basketball. Substance over style.

Crean famously said, "It's Indiana". After 8 years of his leadership, it's not really Indiana anymore.

Toughness. High basketball IQ. A commitment to defense. Being a team that other teams never wanted to play. A reputation in state that made it the dream school of every little kid who played basketball. Substance over style.

Crean famously said, "It's Indiana". After 8 years of his leadership, it's not really Indiana anymore.

You do realize that Sampson totally bottomed out the program and left a smoking crater that top coaches would not touch with a 10 foot pole, right? The damage he did dwarfs any underperformance by CTC, who at least made IU relevant again.

You do realize that Sampson totally bottomed out the program and left a smoking crater that top coaches would not touch with a 10 foot pole, right? The damage he did dwarfs any underperformance by CTC, who at least made IU relevant again.
I think that's a great excuse for those who don't want Crean to be held responsible for the results. IU settled for Crean and got the results that settling promises.

Wow, you equate having a collapsed season with winning a national championship just because your disdain of Coach Crean. I am hoping that we win every game from here on out. But if the season does continue through this path then Coach Crean does need to go. Having to go through another coaching search is not a positive for our program, because missing again will further damage our program and continue to delude our prestige. Sure there are can't miss candidates like Stevens and Donavon, but how likely are they to come to Indiana. So there will tremendous pressure to get it right or we will again wasted five to ten years to get it right. At this rate, I will be pushing sixty before we win another championship. The odds will not be in our favor of getting it right if the two mentioned before passes on us. I will even say Marshall would have good odds returning our prestige, but anyone else is just a pure gamble.
No, I'll take the championship. When is that coming? Under Crean we all know that answer.

I think that's a great excuse for those who don't want Crean to be held responsible for the results. IU settled for Crean and got the results that settling promises.

Not an excuse, just a total indictment of the Sampson era. Surely you're not saying that his damage to the IU brand was less than what Crean has done.

Less, more, equal, what's it matter? The damage has continued.
I was responding to a poster who said that Crean had "stripped away" IU's prestige. My argument was that there was little left after Sampson. If IU fires Crean, I would hope they would thank him for pulling us out of the dumpster and making the program relevant again.

Unless, of course, you would rather have Sampson back?

I think Crean is an overachieving water boy and a phony, but you cannot argue that he hasn't left your program much better than he found it. The idiotic move of Hiring Sampson put you in a spot where Crean was your best option.

Just because you make an ignorant statement doesn't make it so. You really love Crean.
I believe your statement is ignorant Tony Bennett must feel the same way I do because he already turned down IU once . If you follow this message board you would know I wanted Crean gone after the 2012-2013 season

Not an excuse, just a total indictment of the Sampson era. Surely you're not saying that his damage to the IU brand was less than what Crean has done.
No, but that wasn't the topic and never has been. Crean hasn't restored IUs reputation, and his team's aren't as tough or smart or as dedicated to defense as Sampson's. But thanks for the straw man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT