ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Crean and Vanderbilt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I don't know where his name came from, either, but unless Louisville secretly joined the B1G, that has to be the Pitino they were talking about.

I agree with whichever poster said Vandy's probably not interested in him. As far as I can tell from the Vandy fan discussions, he hasn't even come close to hitting Vandy's radar*.

The general consensus seems to be Vandy (like everyone) wants Marshall, they'd be interested in Crean if (when) Marshall says no, and they'll probably end up with McCall or Rice if (when) Crean says no.

*NB: However, Vandy is doing a good job of keeping their cards close to their chest; another benefit of hiring Fogler to head the search. He's good at keeping a secret.
I thought crean was a sizzling hot commodity? One poster says Kentucky may want him!! Lol.

Glass isn't as high on Crean as many believe. Freddie knows he has his dream job, and he's not going to risk losing it over CTC. Most of the high rollers have soured on Crean and want a change. Glass also painted himself into a massive corner with the "deep tourney runs being a regularity" expectation statement. We all know Tom Crean is never going to come anywhere close to achieving that goal. We'll get a change eventually. We just need to be patient.
He did not paint himself into anything. The deep tourney run line was hot air to calm down the masses last year. He never really meant it. Now he thinks crean has calmed the masses with another vaunted sweet sixeteen run. Glass figures that has earned crean at least two more years minimum. Glass is joined at the hip with crean.

Glass isn't as high on Crean as many believe. Freddie knows he has his dream job, and he's not going to risk losing it over CTC. Most of the high rollers have soured on Crean and want a change. Glass also painted himself into a massive corner with the "deep tourney runs being a regularity" expectation statement. We all know Tom Crean is never going to come anywhere close to achieving that goal. We'll get a change eventually. We just need to be patient.
I should add if these so called high rollers had much influence anymore crean would of been gone last year. With all the TV contracts Freddie does not need them. Crean is going nowhere with Fred around.

You're wrong. Glass will go the way of Dave Brandon if he doesn't wise up before long. Everyone also said that Mike Davis was never going anywhere as long as Adam Herbert was around to protect him. We saw how that ended.

Crean is not getting fired this year or next. You don't fire a coach a year after he wins the conference title! Geez, we may really be getting to be the dumbest fan base in the nation!!!

You're wrong. Glass will go the way of Dave Brandon if he doesn't wise up before long. Everyone also said that Mike Davis was never going anywhere as long as Adam Herbert was around to protect him. We saw how that ended.
Crean is not getting fired this year or next. You don't fire a coach a year after he wins the conference title! Geez, we may really be getting to be the dumbest fan base in the nation!!!
You just proved my point. Fred's call for deep tourney runs is hot air and meaningless.

You don't know squat.

Matt Doherty was let go 2 years after winning National CoY.

But you're right, Crean won't be fired. He'll have to walk away on his own volition.

Apparently there is a long thread on the premium board about Crean having interest in the Vandy job. Mentioned by Dakich on his radio show as well. Anybody heard anything on this?

I posted about it this morning but it was yanked for no reason given. I guess that since Dan is discussing it, it's okay to speculate on now.

I can't see it happening. I realize that, at any given time, some portion of the fan base is not happy with Coach Crean, but he is basking in a lot of public praise, so why would he leave now? He has support, a good recruiting class, and an excellent salary. No, I think the seat has to get a lot hotter for him to leave voluntarily.

Reactions: Eddie 68
Reading this thread makes my head hurt. The ignorance is painful. CTC is a good coach, hope he stays unless we have an elite one ready to come(we don't).

Reactions: echs86
There was a post on the Vandy board that said THEY had an interest in a high level coach with B1G ties.

Nothing was ever said the coach had reciprocal interest....whoever that coach is.

Do you really want Indiana University athletics to mirror the University of North Carolina?
Nope I want Fred glass to publicly admit deep tourney runs are not required and then I can move on. Don't dangle a carrot you don't really believe in. As long as I know as long as sweet sixeteens are the bar then we are good.

Reactions: russelltodd
Nope I want Fred glass to publicly admit deep tourney runs are not required and then I can move on. Don't dangle a carrot you don't really believe in. As long as I know as long as sweet sixeteens are the bar then we are good.

Yeah that's pretty likely.

"I am Fred Glass. I hereby publicly admit deep tourney runs are not required."

So you will "move on" once that occurs?

Appearances in the Sweet Sixteens or less have been the norm for the last 20 years under Knight/Davis/Sampson/Dakich/Crean...save the 2002 run.

Why are you suddenly, and when did you specifically become, bent out of shape about it? Are you and advocate of restoring Mike Davis to the head coaching position? He is the only one that has taken Indiana past the Sweet Sixteen since 1994.

Please comment Spa#2...I will list bullet points for you to fill in:

Why are sweet 16's the bar? I don't think anyone has ever staked claim to that. Beating Purdue AND Kentucky, winning the Big Ten outright by TWO games, winning coach of the year and then advancing to the sweet 16 is a pretty good reason to keep a coach, no? ha You people. If only he would've won the super duper coach of the year award THEN and only then you will get off his back.

Everyone is pointing out that theres more to a season than just the tournament. The tournament is huge and advancing deep could clear the slate for what might've been a bad season but at the same time, winning the conference and coach of the year is a great accomplishment. Not a good one but a GREAT one. Going to the sweet 16 is fun, not overly great but definitley not bad. Being a top 16 team (and we all know we would've beat more than half of the sweet 16 teams) and likely an Elite 8 team if we were matched up differently is enough for me to say the coach proved THIS year that he's capable of doing what great coaches do, for now. Get off his juevos and move on. If he fails in the future, you can start to formulate your plan of attack but as of right now, it's all futile.

Believe it or not, we are the only B1G team that has anything to show for this last season (aside from MSU's conf tourney win). Everyone else including a really hyped Maryland squad and Purdue leaves the court empty handed because of IU and coach Crean.

Last edited:
Appearances in the Sweet Sixteens or less have been the norm for the last 20 years under Knight/Davis/Sampson/Dakich/Crean...save the 2002 run. Why are you suddenly, and when did you specifically become, bent out of shape about it?

Are you new? People have been bent out of shape for 20 years. People were bent out of shape the last few years of RMK. People were bent out of shape with Davis. People were bent out of shape with Sampson. And yeah, they're still bent out of shape with Crean.

Jut because the IU administration hasn't seen fit to do what is required (for 20 years now) to change the course of the program doesn't mean that most fans are happy with it. The discontent didn't begin with Crean.

Are you new? People have been bent out of shape for 20 years. People were bent out of shape the last few years of RMK. People were bent out of shape with Davis. People were bent out of shape with Sampson. And yeah, they're still bent out of shape with Crean.

Jut because the IU administration hasn't seen fit to do what is required (for 20 years now) to change the course of the program doesn't mean that most fans are happy with it. The discontent didn't begin with Crean.

I agree with this theory. I will say that I don't see a reason to be discontent with this season considering the loss of a top scorer (off-season losses) and yet we achieved a lot of things we set out for. I do expect to achieve more than this from time to time to make our average season equate to something slightly more. I also understand that we haven't been that team for 20 years and it usually takes time to build that back up. Like IU football, you have to see the upward trajectory amongst the failure to see that over the last 20 years the arrow is definitely rising considerably. Does it have to continue to rise, of course but we can't deny that it hasn't risen.

I agree with this theory. I will say that I don't see a reason to be discontent with this season considering the loss of a top scorer (off-season losses) and yet we achieved a lot of things we set out for. I do expect to achieve more than this from time to time to make our average season equate to something slightly more. I also understand that we haven't been that team for 20 years and it usually takes time to build that back up. Like IU football, you have to see the upward trajectory amongst the failure to see that over the last 20 years the arrow is definitely rising considerably. Does it have to continue to rise, of course but we can't deny that it hasn't risen.

Here is what people need to understand. Despite rhetoric from multiple AD's, IU simply isn't a school like UK, KU, or UNC. Or even UCLA. Those are schools committed (with varying levels of success) at attempting to stay at an elite level. IU has never shown that sort of committment to maintaining an elite program. Lip service? Sure. Actions? No way.

It's not Crean. He's just they guy there now. He'll do OK. Meaning he'll do what he's always done. If that's the new IU norm, then that's the norm. People can let go of wanting more, or they can whine. But after 20 years the whining hasn't shown to be very effective except perhaps for stress relief purposes.

Here is what people need to understand. Despite rhetoric from multiple AD's, IU simply isn't a school like UK, KU, or UNC. Or even UCLA. Those are schools committed (with varying levels of success) at attempting to stay at an elite level. IU has never shown that sort of committment to maintaining an elite program. Lip service? Sure. Actions? No way.

It's not Crean. He's just they guy there now. He'll do OK. Meaning he'll do what he's always done. If that's the new IU norm, then that's the norm. People can let go of wanting more, or they can whine. But after 20 years the whining hasn't shown to be very effective except perhaps for stress relief purposes.
It is the new norm and I'm trying to except it. I just wish Fred would keep hisouth shut about being elite. They have no interest in doing what is needed to become elite so why even pretend.

Reactions: russelltodd

OK, so what is it that IU isn't doing to attempt to stay elite? I think that just might be where everyone is different. Do you think if the right coach was willing to come to IU that they wouldn't be willing to pay him? I don't agree with that theory. I think IU took the best coach willing to come the last 2 times we were hiring. We didn't pay more for the coach because we would've overpaid so I don't know where IU went wrong. I think people believe the IU administration didn't do their search very thoroughly but there's no proof to say they didn't knock on every possible door.

To that, you don't want to be out there having a lot of coaches rejecting you out loud because that alone can tarnish ones "elite" status. I have no reason what so ever to believe that they didn't do everything they could.

Reactions: IU Hardcore
Which would you rather have happen - win the B1G, or appear in the National Championship?

C'mon now . . .

There are two camps here. Those who will admit that they'd rather be in the Title game, and those who are either fooling themselves or trying to fool others.

So let's go back to Monday morning April 8, 2013. How many Michigan fans were sitting there thinking, "Wow, I'd be happy to give up tonight's title game appearance to have won the Big Ten and lost in the Sweet 16."

Answer: None.

How many IU fans were sitting there thinking, "I'm really glad we won the Big Ten and got humiliated by Syracuse in the Sweet 16 rather than playing for a National Title tonight."

Which would you rather have happen - win the B1G, or appear in the National Championship?

C'mon now . . .

Oh I forgot, they offer that to you and you get to take a choice. That's right? Of course people would RATHER a national championship but what has that got to do with anything? (Purdue fans aside, B1G titles are apparently more important to them).

There are two camps here. Those who will admit that they'd rather be in the Title game, and those who are either fooling themselves or trying to fool others.

So let's go back to Monday morning April 8, 2013. How many Michigan fans were sitting there thinking, "Wow, I'd be happy to give up tonight's title game appearance to have won the Big Ten and lost in the Sweet 16."

How many IU fans were sitting there thinking, "I'm really glad we won the Big Ten and got humiliated by Syracuse in the Sweet 16 rather than playing for a National Title tonight."

Again, you guys are merely arguing with yourselves because not one person would say they would rather have a Big 10 championship then a tourney title. I would love to make an NCAA title game over winning the Big. I don't think it's as far removed as you make it out to be but I would definitely rather get that final four and final four win. But I again ask, what has that got to do with anything other than someone making a statement, and then someone responding to that random statement making false claims. It's just you two arguing something no one said. ha

Mike Davis went to the title game and stayed on as coach because of that. Why? Because we all think highly of making it to the title game. Did it prove Mike was infallible? Of course not. Did it prove he was going to bring us back to prominence? Of course not. The truth is, we didn't know so we kept him on and later learned it wasn't going to happen.

With Crean, he just won the Big Ten outright by 2 games (his 2nd in 4 years) and then advanced to his 3rd sweet 16 in 5 years. All of this happening AFTER a 20 year stretch of mediocre basketball and after IU was brought to its knees with sanctions. For the last time, no one is saying this is our ceiling and we are ok with this forever. What we are saying is this was a good season and definitely not one that proves Crean is not competent enough to lead us to this elite status you all wish so badly for.

Kent Sterling summed it up best this week. However, there is a group of people who would disagree with this and continue the chest thumping as they continue to think IU is elite.

5 – Nobody remembers Big Ten regular season championships. Two championships out of six years (we forgive the first two seasons as unwinnable situations) isn’t bad, but those titles are as unimportant as the 2014 Big Ten championship is for whomever won it (do you remember who it was? It’s very likely you don’t unless you are John Beilein, the coach of the champion Michigan Wolverines). Winning games beats losing them, but given the unbalanced schedule that favored Indiana, the 2016 Big Ten is not a feat of excellence that should overshadow the continued mediocrity that bracketed the Big Ten season from which Indiana cannot extricate itself under Crean.

4 – Sweet 16s not so sweet at Indiana. Three Sweet Sixteens are good, if one or two of them led to advancement to a Final Four. Routine visits to the first game of the second weekend is just not good enough for a program like Indiana. The last Elite Eight for Indiana came in 2002 – 14 years ago. That’s a long stretch of road for a program claiming to be elite, not sweet.

Kent Sterling summed it up best this week. However, there is a group of people who would disagree with this and continue the chest thumping as they continue to think IU is elite.

5 – Nobody remembers Big Ten regular season championships. Two championships out of six years (we forgive the first two seasons as unwinnable situations) isn’t bad, but those titles are as unimportant as the 2014 Big Ten championship is for whomever won it (do you remember who it was? It’s very likely you don’t unless you are John Beilein, the coach of the champion Michigan Wolverines). Winning games beats losing them, but given the unbalanced schedule that favored Indiana, the 2016 Big Ten is not a feat of excellence that should overshadow the continued mediocrity that bracketed the Big Ten season from which Indiana cannot extricate itself under Crean.

4 – Sweet 16s not so sweet at Indiana. Three Sweet Sixteens are good, if one or two of them led to advancement to a Final Four. Routine visits to the first game of the second weekend is just not good enough for a program like Indiana. The last Elite Eight for Indiana came in 2002 – 14 years ago. That’s a long stretch of road for a program claiming to be elite, not sweet.

Time out. The chest thumpers about Indiana "being elite" are the ones that say we need a new coach because this program is way better than what we're showing. So I don't know where or how that even got twisted up.

Secondly, its been proven ad nauseam that every team that wins the Big Ten has the easiest SOS in the Big Ten every year. It's the way it plays out since the winner of the conference obviously gave everyone else more losses. It's a ridiculous argument and was proven that it has no merit.

Lastly, continual sweet 16's again isn't going to be the final bar. It's merely a step in the direction of getting back to Elite after 20 years of nothing and being brought to our knees by the NCAA. No one is going to say they would be ok with just sweet 16's each year. No one. So stop pinning that nonsense on people when no one has ever said I am ok if all we ever do is make sweet 16's. We just know how to use our head and say logically that it takes steps and IU has been taking them.

Do you really look at what you write before you post it?

First you say this:

Mike Davis went to the title game and stayed on as coach because of that. Why? Because we all think highly of making it to the title game.

And follow it up with this:

With Crean, he just won the Big Ten outright by 2 games (his 2nd in 4 years) and then advanced to his 3rd sweet 16 in 5 years. All of this happening AFTER a 20 year stretch of mediocre basketball

wtf???

Going to a championship game is mediocre?

BTW - Davis sure as hell didn't have 2 of the top 4 picks of the draft on that team, either.

Do you really look at what you write before you post it?

First you say this:

And follow it up with this:

wtf???

Going to a championship game is mediocre?

BTW - Davis sure as hell didn't have 2 of the top 4 picks of the draft on that team, either.
The Davis haters will always say yeah but he did it with knights players. Even though Jeffries, Newton, Hornsby, Leach, and Perry all came to IU because Davis recruited them. Knight would not have gotten those players without Davis. As much as people hate and want to hate davis the fact is he has gone further in the tourney then any other iu coach since 1992.

Reactions: hoosierstateII
This thread is really showing the ignorance of our fan base.Then we cry when we cant get a good coach to come here what fools. I wouldn't blame CTC if he tolds us to shove it and leaves. Hopefully he still isn't reading some of these posts.

Reactions: IU Hardcore
Again, you guys are merely arguing with yourselves because not one person would say they would rather have a Big 10 championship then a tourney title. I would love to make an NCAA title game over winning the Big. I don't think it's as far removed as you make it out to be but I would definitely rather get that final four and final four win. But I again ask, what has that got to do with anything other than someone making a statement, and then someone responding to that random statement making false claims. It's just you two arguing something no one said. ha

Apparently you weren't around in 2013 after UM lost in the title game and there were spirited debates on this very forum as to whether is was preferable to have won the Big Ten vs losing in the title game. A very large contingent argued that winning the Big Ten was preferable, as losing in the title game didn't represent winning anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT